Si-Fi Mutant RPG

Discussion in 'RPG Theme Suggestions' started by Lord_Croanan, May 15, 2007.

1. Lord_Croanan

Lord_Croanan King and Conquerer

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Well, for me its summer, which means I have a ton of time on my hands and not much to do.

So I think I'll start an RPG.

Its nothing totally new, I'm just adding a few elements.

2130 A.D

Many years ago, the fanatical group known as the Enlightened perfected the human genome, figuring out all its oddities and complexities. What resulted was the worlds first real mutants, people who could control energy and manipulate the environment. Unfortunately for the Enlightened and their mutant super children, this was during the rise of the Heroth Empire, and although humanity rose to power that was beyond imagining, the cost was humiliation, persecution, and finally expulsion of the Enlightened and all outcasts. They were loaded onto the space ark Mayflower and shipped off into space, to hopefully die among the nothingness.

2500 A.D

Now their back. And they have a score to settle. The Enlightened are gone, but the super humans remain, and a war is about to begin. Unfortunately, things arn't going to be easy. An outcast religious sect, the evil Forlorn High, have landed on Earth and begun waging war on the Heroth.

Thus, those with powers must decide, for they are the only ones who can finish it.

Strike back at the Heroth? Or Drive off the Forlorn High? Or simply destroy everything?

Well, thats my idea, mutant powers would be like the X-Men and the TV show Heroes, technology would be futuristic, space crafts and cool Sci-Fi inventions, but it would all take place mostly on Earth.

2. RayCaptain

RayCaptain 如朱

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    this is a classic!! I think it'll catch on

3. Soulsmith

Soulsmith Forging souls anew...

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    oh yeh, time to own some silly dudes

4. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Wahahaha sounds fun.

5. Lord_Croanan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, some interest!

This will be your standard RPG. Each person will have thier characters and super powers (assuming you want them, this is the future so guns are pretty cool too) while the story happens on Earth. There will be several major battles all leading to a climax, and depending on how the members have played their characters, either the Forlorn High will win or the Heroth. Or maybe nobody will, it all depends on the players. I'll play my character and move the events on as they happen. Participants can still do whatever they (within reason) outside the major battles, they dont have to conform to a set standard of play or events.

For instance, lets say the first major battle is the siege of futuristic LA. Characters could be all over the world doing battle as they see fit, and then come together at LA to duke it out with thier faction. After that, they could go off again fighting on thier own adventures or with each other, untill the next major battle happens.

This and all other information may change depending on if a better sugestion comes up.

Again, thanks for the support, Ill put up a timeline soon so you can get a better glimps of what the world we're playing in is like, and some more background info on the factions.

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  6. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    You will have to provide some history, because the different factions seem a wee bit confusing.

7. Lord_Croanan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Certainly, heres a quick rundown

Enlightened-Group of scientist who believed in a certain path of fulfillment, and through their work created the worlds first super humans. When the Heroth Empire rose to power, the Enlightened and their super human children were expelled to space, to die among the stars. Using fusion engines, they made it to Alpha Centauri before a civil war broke out, with the super humans being victorious.

Mutants/super humans/Children of Power- The offspring of the Enlightened, they were all outfitted with special abilities in order to protect their parents, but on the way to the nearest star, a war broke out on the space arc with the super humans becoming victorious. Several hundred years later, the great grand children of the Enlightened are now returning to Earth to enact revenge upon the Heroth.

Heroth- An oppressive Empire run by xenophobic humans, the Heroth are bent on purging the solar system of non-humans, humans with defects, and anything else they can use as an excuse to flex their military muscle and secret police. They ban all religion other than the worship of the Godstate, a fancy word for their government. They were just recovering from a civil war when the Forlorn High, a cultist group, invaded earth.

Forlorn High- A religious group ruled by technology obsessed humans bent on sacrificing earth and its unworthy inhabitants. They were expelled from the solar system a century ago, and have been bent on revenge ever since.

Here is a quick timeline-

2042- WW3, The worlds superpowers, USA, Russia, India, and China, fight over the growing trade market, resulting in a global economic collapse.

2080- The Ethnic Wars begin, religions and ethnic groups fight all around the world to preserve themselves.

2100- The Enlightened are founded.

2113- The Heroth rise to power in central North America, claiming the only way for the human race to move forward is through worship of the Godstate and complete submission to the governing authorities.

2117- War for North America ends, Heroth are victorious.

2122- Ethnic wars end, several newly formed countries send out space colonies.

2125- Colonies declare independence from Earth.

2127- The Heroth Mars base is suddenly obliterated, scientist claim it was with technology out of human reach, Heroth blame colonies and unites the world behind the fear of invasion.

2129- Global genocide begins, the Heroth begin purging "non normal" humans from the Earth.

2130- The Enlightened, and ever other non-conforming group are killed or exiled to space

2132- Space Colonies destroyed by the Heroth, galactic degree is issued that humans must remain on Earth for fear of going into space and being "corrupted" like the colonies.

2214 (March)- The High Lord of the Enlightened accuses the super humans of secretly rebelling, war ensues.

2253 (April)- Super humans win, majority decide to enact revenge on Heroth for genocide.

2400- The Forlorn High are discovered secretly fusing technology with humans, and the majority are killed, with the rest fleeing into space.

2495- Civil war breaks out in the Heroth Empire, Bast Party is victorious.

2500- Forlorn High return and invade Earth.

2500- Enlightened return, and crash land on Earth, the Species War begins, with the mutants picking sides.

Whew, thats a lot of fluff, just some background info.

This is basically X-Men in space. But with a little more Sci-Fi, and lots of super humans kicking butt.

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  8. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Wow sounds cool. I like the idea of introducing prejudice aswell into the storyline. It's bit unrealistic when you think of it sometimes, that there isn't any racial prejudice or things :O

9. holly st.Raven

holly st.Raven Romlux

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Well, I for one will certainly be joining this, if it gets green light, as some would say.
    You had actually beaten me to the bush, since I was in the proces of developing a superhuman/superhero/supervillain scenario for RPing, so I have quite a bit of interesting characters in my head, that will need only slight adaptations.

As a constructive sugestion (and subplot :) ) how about having the bits and pieces of the originall diaries or whatever it was of the Elightened of the processes of manipulating the human genome into superhuman. What I'm geting at, is that something like that would be an interesting part of the plot - you know chasing it so the individual powers could get boosted, and so forth. If I was confusing with this, please tell me, so I could try to clear it up.

10. Lord_Croanan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Good idea, I'll use that as a subplot and a way to boost your character

11. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    You'll also have to refine your techno-babble to ensure we're all on the same level of advancted tech and stuff :O

12. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    I love it!

If possible I'd go for one of the super humans who is a genocidal madman intent on destroying the stagnant and obsolete race of man. Crazy people are the most fun. You mentioned heroes, imagine sylar times 1000.

13. holly st.Raven

holly st.Raven Romlux

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Iteresting...

My intended character is quite a bit ekcentric, and truthfully, neither good nor evil but a gray area kind of guy.

Seams like great minds think alike, huh :D

14. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    i always enjoy the more eccentric characters, because by default they have more phychological motivation, we gain a greater understanding of them and while in most cases it leads us to dislike them, they are better to read/watch.

15. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    So I really like this idea, when can we get it up and running? all you need is a first post and send it over to nienor to start it up, I'm sure the timeline and istory is enough to go on.

dont let me rush you though.

Anyway I was thinking about a character and I came up with a really really cool superpower, but its a bit overpowered so I'm going to make sure its okay before I write up a profile with it.

Basically the character would have this energy field around him projected by his body, it would only expand naturally about a millimetre from his skin. And this field disrupts and breaks molecular bonds, reducing all materials to its base atoms.

so essentially it disintegrates matter (though physcially its more realistic it just renders objects down to single atoms, these are easily displaced). So he can just walk through walls or cut thing with touch alone.

Obviously there are downsides, since if the field were always in effect he'd just fall through the floor, albeit slowly if the atoms would fill up the gape below him in solid ground. The idea is that he has some control over the field, he can turn it on and off at will and even refine it to only effect certain places, so for instance he can walk and interact with object but would be able to disintegrate something in his hand without falling through the floor.
    Though in moments of extremem emotion or confusion he would have less concentration and control, and as a reflex when in danger he would automatically raise this field. Another downside is if he loses control that means he'd probably disintegrate his own clothes by accident, which isnt good.

Also he's developing his power over time, and to some success, he has three goals; 1) to improve the strength, although he can basically disintegrate things by debonbing atoms, this depends on bonding, harder materials like high strength alloys and diamond would take longer and would be more draining for him to dissolve, s he hopes to improve this so he can use his power for disintegrate anything instantaneously at all times, for now he can have his field on at all times, but it would take about 10 seconds to dissolve high strength materials and would be drained after doing this for more than half an hour.
    He is also trying to improve control and the ability to extend this field not only unilaterally but also in cerain placed, so he can extend it now porbably an inch in all directions or a foot from just his hand. He hopes to entend is far enough to make it a significant ranged weapon.
    And finally, though this is not likely to happen any time soon, he hopes to refine the power to such a degree than he can not onyl break molecular bonds between atoms, but even atomic bonds between protons and neutrons thus splitting the atom and having the power to creat a nuklear explosion.

Now thats pretty powerful but there would be weaknesses to it. obviously he isnt destroying only debonbing material, he could still be buried alive and suffocate before getting out of there, in face it would be as effective as killing anyone else, since by activating his power he would be more likely to sink deeper. Also he debonds materials, but direct energy is still effective, so heat still effects him, fire, electricity etc would all have the same effect as on anyone else. And if tricky situations where theres danger he couldnt really use much transport or weaponry as he might disintegrate the gun he is holding by accident or fall through the floor of a car etc. this and many other things (such as the impossibility of intimacy) lead to crippling and maddening psychological problems.
    Also since this is the future, artificial gravity can be used to trap him.

there, a badass power but I've told you everything you need to know to stop him too, so fairs fair.

16. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    How does he breathe? I mean when that thing's on...oxygen and carbon dioxide molecules would be destroyed and he would be unable to breathe :S

Or does that mean that it doesn't cover orifices?

Edit: nevermind...read about selective area control.....

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  17. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    you got it, when he does have selective area control he uncovers enough to breath.

though if he loses control for too he would obviously pass out. fortunately since he has been grappling with this power he has learned to hold his breath for a long time if neccesary (they are superhuman after all), but only for about 5-10 minutes at absolute critical length

EDIT: Also he is completely bald, everywhere, even the eyebrows, as hair would be cut by the field. it also means dirt is atomised on touch meaning he doesnt need to shower, which is nice.

18. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Hmm he seems ok, but just something at the back of my mind is niggling me saying...hmm there's something not right.

I mean he does seem ok since he is affected my heat and all the rest of it...but creature nuclear explosions? What's the point...wouldn't he be affected aswell? The radiation would kill him :S

19. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    yeah, hence why he hasnt done it and probably wont do it, but as a last resort it might be a neat trick. obviously if he did do it it would kill him too since explosions og under energy with the rest of it.

pointless I know, but he's going to be a little crazy anyway.

dont hesitate to nitpick if you feel like it, I'd hate it if there really was something wrong and you didnt tell me.

20. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    No, I do like characters to be sound...I usually find flaws much later on in my own and it's really bad...cos it makes you feel like you put no effort lol.

You'll probably have to make him quite vunerable as he controls his powers since he'll need to make sure he's always able to breathe and what not...unless he's done lots of training and does it instinctively. Possibly do this by cutting down on his senses and stuff.