Should Prostitution be legal???

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Robertthehobbit, Jul 19, 2005.

1. clouded_perception

clouded_perception clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    No, we're talking about people forced unwillingly into prostitution and/or forced to have sex on a regular basis, not the S&M thing.

2. Zeddicus Zorander

Zeddicus Zorander New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
  3. volksmenner

volksmenner practitioner of æsthetics

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    a secular government should not pretend to dictate virtue. therefore, by what authority does the government claim to restrict prostitution if not from an authority beyond the jurisdiction of government? none. no law of government is complete enough to inspire a population to virtue. prostitution should be legal with minimal government regulation.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  4. clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Health and safety are important issues, Volks -- that's why we (well, here in Australia anyway) have so many illegal drugs. The main issue here seems to be that some people are suggesting that legalising prostitution would endanger prostitutes more than illegal prostitution. I don't think so -- prostitution being legal does not exempt its professionals from human rights considerations and links to crimes any more than legalised busking does. If prostitution is illegal then such abuses cannot be openly investigated or even reported, for fear of incriminating the person reporting them. Also, a duty of care on behalf of the prostitute (like being STI-free) cannot be enforced if prostitution is illegal in the first place.

5. volksmenner

volksmenner practitioner of æsthetics

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    in a free society, it is not the responsibility of the people via the government to subsidize economic ventures including prostitution. prostitution is a business like any other, and the free market should be allowed to sort the winners from the losers.

government intervention in the name of "doing good" is more abominable then perhaps any vice of the individual. if a prostitute wishes to be successful in the business, a prostitute would invest their time and money in proper education, prevention and medical care. it is called due diligence. the same is expected of any other sort of entrepreneur. if the prostitute decides against the obvious, unfortunately, that risk is their own, not mine as a tax paying citizen. the same shall be said of patrons of such professionals. if they value their health, they would take the necessary precautions.

the need to provide a public service in the way of education medicine and consumer advocacy should only be met by the private sector in the forms of profit and non-profit companies. prostitutes have no more or no less rights than others. the only thing government shall provide is fair protection under the law. absolutely no government medical subsidies.

from first to last, it is the right of the individual to decide whether or not to self improve or self destroy. government has no authority whatsoever in the matter.

prostitution is an inherently dangerous occupation. legal or illegal, nothing shall change the fact. the basis of my argument is that central economic planning is no less adverse to individual liberty than that of communism or fascism. government has no business in managing the lives of the citizens. and citizens have no responsibility to cover the risk of others.

if you are so interested in public health and safety and wish to do good, do so on your own dime and start a non-profit. believe me, if you are the least bit competent at business, your organization would be more efficient than government.

6. clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    I was only referring to enforcing minimum standards of health in the same way we do with restaurants and the food they serve.

7. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    yes, as the standards of health in prostitution can have even more severe consequences.

8. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    I think it should be forbidden and I also think that strip clubs and girls offering their services or some company for the price of a few drinks,should be closed and the people forcing the girls to do such things punished.

And take that from a guy who has been to such places.Yeah that's right.(I imagine half the forum going :eek: now...lol!)

Anyway,they are just degrading and bad for a woman and they should be forbidden.Those girls didn't pick it as their number 1 job because they liked it.So I guess that's where society and the State should intervene and do something about these girls.

I remember something that happened in the Byzantine times,in Constantinople.I think it was during the reign of Emperor Alexius I Komnenos,but I'm not sure.There was a district in Constantinople full of such places with prostitutes,that was infamous.So the Emperor shut down all those houses,changed the entire area and built monasteries etc.and these women became nuns,they had house,food and a better life.

9. clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    We should not be living in a world where it is necessary for a person to sell their body to live. However, if people choose freely to do so, I see no problem.

Given that making prostitution illegal will have no effect on those who are forced into the profession and only restrict those who would otherwise choose it freely, I see no reason it shouldn't be legal. As previously mentioned it also makes it much easier to enforce minimum standards of health and suchlike.

Legal prostitution is likely to reduce levels of trafficking of sex slaves, etc., and people who are pushed into the profession by circumstance, because there is a valid alternative and thus the demand for illegal prostitutes of any kind will be lessened, esp. if legal ones undergo mandatory health checks.

10. imrhien

imrhien The Lady of the Sorrows

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    And that way, they have to pay tax as well. :D

11. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    The answer perhaps would be to punish those who push women to that job.

12. Sevi

Sevi Pocałunek!

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    I agree but i think for the reasons you all mentioned above it should be legal.
    If someone wants to sell, or better, "rend" his/her body why should we take his/her right to do so?

We own our own body so we should be free to do anything we want with it. And since the whole prostitution thing already exists for so many years and its a reality, its better to recognize its existence and provide the best conditions to people who does it. Thats better than keep our eyes shut when it comes to the dark corners of a city.

13. freedomtaken

freedomtaken Predominately Inept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Prostituition

Okay, would you ever consider it? Have you ever been that desperate? Should it be legalised and regulated across all borders? Is it truly a disgusting thing? Thoughts, stories...
    What about skimpy/stripping?

I don't think I could ever consider it. Than again I believe it should be legalised and regulated. They're doing it anyway. It'd also make it harder for the human trafficking angle, if everything was legalised. I don't hold any particular meaning regarding my body/sex but I just couldn't do it. It wouldn't be my choice. I want to choose what I do. There are other jobs. Hello Macdonald's :)

As for stripping it is a great way to earn money. A lot of money really quickly. I had no qualms about it for a trial I did. But my boyfriend at that time wasn't comfortable.

What do you think?

14. AlphaAlex

AlphaAlex Official Forum Nuisance

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -0
    Re: Prostituition

Thought about it, never will do it tho. hahahahaha Strippers are cool tho lol.

15. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0

I'm of the viewpoint that whilst it sits as an illegal (or semi illegal in the UK) practice it allows the criminal element to take advantage and abuse those who do choose or are forced into, that line of work. It gets doubly worse as any who are abused through their operations are often disinclined to go to the law for protection because their whole business is illegal - ie they are afraid they'll end up in legal trouble as well.

Legalising would at least offer the chance to have legitimate centres setup with protections for both worker and client (ie medical tests and provision of "safe sex" products and education). Further offering it as a legitimate working environment - or at least removing its criminal status would greatly open up the doors for those abused and in need of legal protection.

Furthermore it would remove an income source (or at least put it under more strain as having to compete with legitimate industry) for the criminal elements. It also has the bonus of helping ensure that with the removal of the criminal element those who work or are clients of will be less likely to encounter/partake (through choice or force) in other illegal activities (specifically drugs) which aside from their legal status also pose a significant health risk.

In addition moving it to a legal status will (slowly) improve the image of the whole practice within the population - how far is dependant upon the population as a whole and chances are some societies/groups will never allow the image of the practice to improve. However a general improvement of the image in the public's eye at least allows those who are workers (more so than clients) to have an increased self esteem and self value (often important as its a line of work many turn to as a "last resort").

Finally its something that is going to happen no matter what methods you take to try and suppress it - trying to stop it only results in pushing it more underground. Furthermore unlike criminal activities such as drugs the act itself is not damaging* to the health of client or worker - either long or short term.

* assuming safe sex methods, protection and medical checkups are used to ensure that "accidents" do not occur or are at least put at a significantly reduced chance of occurring.

16. clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0

I wouldn't take it up myself but it should definitely be legal. Moral issues aside (and I, personally, have no moral issues with prostitution anyway), the government can't regulate what's illegal. Prostitutes, their customers, and anybody else who has sex with their customers are a lot safer in a regulated industry with occupational health and safety requirements and health licensing.

17. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0

Prostitution is quite a delicate problem.

I believe there will always be something like prostitution, like as if it's in the nature of the human being to fill that niche in the market, whether legal or not. As such, we can make it illegal and fight it - but it always is against better knowledge. Making prostitution illegal, in short, doesn't stop it. Reversely, we criminalise people for something that is part of humanity and, as such, being human.

On the other hand, legalising prostitution generally leads to expansion of the market. Although it is a completely viable career choice, it appears that a lot of women are prostitutes against their will or choice. Legalising prostitution seems to promote sex crimes, slavery, human trafficing and associated crimes and crime syndication. Of course, this all applies to prostitution in illegality - but since the volumes are larger when prostitution is legal, it affects more people. Of course, these can be fought seperately - but it makes sense to remove the root cause. Or trying to anyway.

Oddly as it sounds, the only answer I see is the institutionalisation of prostitution; the gouvernment facilitating the oldest profession. By protecting the prostitutes and taking them out of the lieu of organised crime, the need for prostitution can be fulfilled, whilst prostitutes themselves can be protected. Sadly, though, this probably wouldn't work either, for a myriad of reasons.

Another way of dealing with prostitution is by legalising it, with the obligation that every prostitute needs a permit. The permit would hold a few checks, such as nationality and age, "employer", possibly a health check - and access to professional aid for those in need. All prostitutes who don't carry a permit face imprisonment - a sentence transferable to any employer - and, possibly, aid in building a different career. And even such a system would be heavily flawed.

In the end, I really don't think there's a right answer to prostitution - only wrong ones.

18. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0

I'm against it.

Maybe I shouldn't reveal this information to the forum,but I've been to a whore-house twice in my life and I regret it.I mean yes it's definetely intriguing,sexy and if you're very horny you might want to go,but for many reasons I'm against it.For religious reasons,for the whole atmosphere(it's fake man,it's all fake,the woman only pretends to like you because you are a customer),the diseases one might get,the prices.Everything.

And don't forget that it's exploitation of women by some scum.Ok some women want to do this but that doesn't mean we should encourage it.

Remember: If there were no customers,there would be no brothels.No whores.No exploitation of women.

19. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0

Well legal or illegal the whole "fantasy" and cold hard trade of cash for services elements of the practice won't go away - however as said by several others above bringing the practice into a legal trade allows better and more effective legislation to be imposed over it. That translates to better protection for both workers and clients of the practice.

The religious aspects are valid for a country where the dominant religion is also a part of that countries governance - however in countries where church and state are separate the religious belief of one faction shouldn't be allowed to dominate state policy with regard to factors that affect groups outside of that religions belief.

Tur you raise an interesting point that legalising will increase trade and I'd agree with that viewpoint - however remember that this increase in trade is going to be at the legal venues rather than the illegal ones - so whilst the legal venues might have more trade I suspect that the illegal will still operate with relativity similar client numbers (either new or old existing clients) and might even see a drop in clients. So I can't see that it would directly lead to more illlegal actions such as increased people trafficing - on that note however it might lead to increased immigration from people after work; but then that is more a matter concerning immigration policies rather than specific jobs on offer within the country.

I do however agree that any such legal practice would need strict controls and legislation to prevent abuse(big companies can be just as bad a criminals ;)) and I also respect the fact that even with strict governance there will still be the potential for abuse of the system. I'd however argue that the potential protections and the fact that it would provide a clean working environment that wouldn't be conductive to leading people down further illegal channels (eg into drugs and drug trade) outweigh the chances of danger created from legalising the system.

20. clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0

Legalising prostitution wouldn't increase exploitation and human trafficking, it would reduce it. The industry would, obviously, have to be well-regulated. With their careers legalised, prostitutes would be less reluctant to come out about abuse or report women being forced into the profession. Prostitutes currently forced to work on the streets could work somewhere less high-risk. The demand for human trafficking goes down because the legalised work force would increase. People given the choice between prostitutes of questionable health being forced into their jobs and those with government sanction and proper clean bills of health face an easy choice.