Should Prostitution be legal???

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Robertthehobbit, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Reece56364

Reece56364 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Re: Prostituition

My point being that i got my current job marginally through being male :p Whereas if i was a female, id consider prostituiton :p

2. steelpounder

steelpounder New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Re: Prostituition

I spent some time in Korea with the military. Prostitution is legal and even a respectable profession. The girls have permits and regular health checks. And if they are abused by customers or employers there are strict penalties. There are still some who work with out permits but if caught face charges. On the whole the locals seem satisfied with the system and illegal drug trade as well is fairly small. Pot is legal there. They also have different taboos than western cultures; about a mile out from base the restrooms are unisex.

3. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Threads merged.

4. volksmenner

volksmenner practitioner of æsthetics

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    yes. stop feigning innocence and moralities be damned. prostitution is the foundation of civilization and the intrepid spirit behind pioneering new frontiers. the end.

5. ciemnika

ciemnika New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    All the arguments against legalized prostitution boil down to moralistic arguments, meaning that there's no compelling reason to legislate against it. Simply disliking it or thinking it's gross or not nice is a spineless argument.

It's been proven that legalized prostitution is safer for prostitutes and johns.

I say legalize it. It's positively no different than selling one's body on the football field for others to enjoy.

6. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Well,

I would invite you to dig into the Amsterdam case, which might well be prostitution capital of the Western world for the best part of the 20'th century. It has been - and it still is - an interesting situation. Yet, Amsterdam has been forced to review it's stance on prostitution, mostly because hard, organised crime took over the business long ago. A case must be made against human trafficing, forced prostitution and sex slavery, underage prostitution and secondary criminal behaviour.

But I am sure that, before posting, you took the opportunity to read the 200-odd posts preceeding yours ;)