Should Marijuana & Other Drugs be Legal or Illegal

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Turambar, Mar 22, 2004.

?

Should marijuana be legal?

1. It should be legal

46 vote(s)
    59.0%
  2. It shouldn't be legal

26 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Undecided

6 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Yslsl

Yslsl I Am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Re: Marihuana: Legal/Illegal

Couple of things:

1) Hashish and straight Marijuana are two VERY different things. Hashish is a super-concentrated extract. A powerful psychoactive. It produces (so i have heard) incredible psychedelic trips. Very potent.

2) Legislation is by and large only a method of taxation. The government, once a substance is regulated, can make money off of it. Simple as that. You can't legislate pot out of existance, and in fact by criminalizing it you put a lot of good people in jail and open up the door for drug cartels with ties to terrorism and communism in Latin America to fill the void left by local growers.

at the end of the day nobody has the right to tell you that you cannot do something. Each person is their own sovereign. Hail to the King!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0

Um yest they do. If you live in a society that has a government they have the right to tell you what you cannot do to an extent.

3. Yslsl

Yslsl I Am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

um no they don't.

Nobody has a right to tell you what to do.

4. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0

EDITED: post deleted, wrong thread

5. chimera_789

chimera_789 Queen of Air and Darkness

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0

"My choice is what i choose to do,
    and if I'm causin no harm,
    it shouldn't bother you.
    Your choice is who you choose to be,
    and if you're causin no harm, then you're alright with me."

-- Ben Harper "Burn One Down"

6. Alchemist

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0

Again yes they do. They have the right to tell you not to kill, not to steal, that taxes must be paid, etc. They are called laws. You might want to get accustomed to them if you plan on spending time outside jail/prison walls. I would love to be there in a situation where you refuse to do as told. Telling a police officer "no" when you get a ticket, telling the government "no" when taxes are due, telling Mcdonald's "no" when they ask you to pay for your food.

No they cannot tell you what to do on everything, thats why I said "to an extant". Read Please.
    The Government has the right to tell you not to do somethings if it will cause harm to people and has the right to have you follow laws, laws that if you break you pay the penalty.
    I suggest that if you want no government to "Tell you what to do" then go find a deserted island somewhere and be your own king.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2007
  7. Kill frenzy

Kill frenzy New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Jesus christ. Half you poofs haven't even seen skunk in your whole life! Weed dosen't kill your or give you cancer, its very unlikely that it will make you crazy.

What it does is, if you smoke too much of it everyday for many years. It turns you into a lazy arsehole with no ambition or inititave.

But seriously, its good shit. Smoke up.

8. Blackness

Blackness Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0

Yeah, but they don't have the right to tell you not to take drugs.

9. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0

Exactly, apply the same to alcohol and tobacco and there is no difference, if anything the legal ones are more dangerous.

10. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0

Actually it is, because it often results in others getting hurt, particularly in the case of jumpers.

Hilariously, in one state, the penalty for attempted suicide is (or at least was a few years ago) the electric chair.

11. Alchemist

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0

Regardless of what some say, anyone who willing does drugs, other than prescribed drugs that are used for the purpose prescribed, and anyone who drinks until they are wasted, imo, are number one dip-shits.

12. Kill frenzy

Kill frenzy New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Who you callin a dip shit? $10 says your a 1 can wonder. Just because you can't handle your grog.

13. Lord Blaeric

Lord Blaeric New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Maybe they are but those who judge life choices of others are Idiots themselves so the ? is do i want to be a dip-shit who smokes marijuana or drinks until i am wasted or an idiot who sits back and makes comments about a persons private choices when they are perfectly fine with what they are doing. You do know there is this book called the bible that says you should not judge others maybe you should read it sometime.

As for the statement that the Government has the right to tell you what drugs you can do and which ones you cant that is a false statement the Government does not have the right to do that. There is a difference between having the right to tell someone what to do and having the POWER to tell someone what they can and cant do.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  14. Alchemist

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0

:rolleyes:

Its not perfectly fine when they are doing it, too many dumb asses think they are invincible when they get high or wasted, getting behind the wheel and then taking the lives of innocent people and children. Not to mention those who tweak out on whatever drug they "have the right to do" then going on a killing spree. I have had close friends die from being hit by a stupid ass drunk driver, killing them while all the @#!$tard gets is a scratch.
    So, maybe it is judgmental on my part, and please dont preach to me about what the bible says as I have shown in many a thread I know what it says and have read more times than you have more likely, but I am not perfect and do slip into judging now and then. just like you and anybody else, especially when it involves the lives of those I care about. Its not just that one person's "life choice" when it involves other people.

Guess what I should say here really is:
    People, who get wasted on alcohol and drugs and do not Act Responsibly, are dip-shits.
    (There, a revised statement, less of an "overall" statement than the previous)

And KF, seriously do you have any idea on what the hell you say about anything?
    Just to fill you in, when its not really needed to at all, it takes alot to even get me buzzed, but I have only been drunk one time (in the safety of my own house) and it took more than "one can" (side note: it should be illegal to sell beer in a can, ruins the flavor) I assure you. And I will never get that way again, just cant stand the feeling of having my brain inebriated.

15. Lord Blaeric

Lord Blaeric New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

OK now that statement i agree with. Although it can also be applied to anyone driving cars or even belief in god when used irresponsibly can cause harm to others but we do not outlaw all of those things. Just because some may cause harm when acting irresponsibly does not mean we should outlaw whatever they were doing or on when they hurt someone.

16. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0

Some might say that getting completely wasted on drugs or alcohol is irresponsible in of itself.

17. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

I wonder if the person who started this thread was stoned . . . since they mispelled the title. Hmm.

I also wonder about the whole god thing. Too often people say things like, "You know there is this book called the bible that says you should not judge others". Then turn around in another conversation and say things like gay people shouldn't get married, or if your a Jew you're going to hell.

18. Alchemist

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0

I have different names for those kinds ;)

I would say, drugs are abused more than alcohol but have no evidence on that. But most drugs out there are not used for a small buzz, Meth, Crack, etc. are not used for buzzes, while alcohol is (of course alot of people go farther than a buzz). And those drugs can cause full mental breakdowns causing the person to go crazy and hurt themselves and others, not to mention can cause instant death from the first use.
    But back to marijuana, I know many people who use to do the crap, and they never did it for a slight high or buzz, it was always to get complete baked, and seeing those idiots with their heads lolling around spouting nonsense in their brain-fried state is so unappealing its ridiculous.
    Who knows, maybe if marijuana was legal less people would abuse it, I dont know.

That is very true, the other reason why I only drink for taste and mild relaxation.

Thats one of the reasons I no longer go to churches.

19. Bones

Bones New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I don't believe it should be legalized in the U.S. I smoked alot of the stuff for three years or so when I was in high school and it can be pretty dehabilitating and disorienting at times. It can also contribute to using worse drugs...which is what happened to me.

20. ShadowDragon

ShadowDragon Slave of Duty/Son of Hell

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

Why is marijuana illegal?- It f***s up your head. It has been proven to cause mental illnesses like schizophrenia.

Search tags for this page

joyness of marijuana

will legal pot make other drugs legal