Should Marijuana & Other Drugs be Legal or Illegal

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Turambar, Mar 22, 2004.

?

Should marijuana be legal?

1. It should be legal

46 vote(s)
    59.7%
  2. It shouldn't be legal

26 vote(s)
    33.8%
  3. Undecided

5 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Re: Marihuana: Legal/Illegal

It causes people prone to schizophrenia to become schitzophrenic, its like smoking when you have a family history of lung cancer.

2. Blackness

Blackness Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0

It is banned. (lol)

It shouldn't be banned though.

3. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0

Actually now that I think about it, I'm sure this has been mentioned before but as it causes schizophrenia in those vulnerable to the condition it would be safer when legal, think about the buzz around smoking and lung cancer, everyone is informed and people with that family history know the risks involved, but since weed is illegal there isnt as much health warnings, and people would be afraid to visit a doctor if they feel they have been affected by using illegal drugs, or even checking if they have that vulnerability in the first place. And lets not even debate the issue of quality control between illegal and legal systems, were it legal it would be safer.

4. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0

That's exactly how I feel, Crusader.

5. Harbringer

Harbringer New Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

It should be legal, but I don't see it happening.

6. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0

I think widespread legalisation of medical use would be about as close as you're ever going to get.

There's simply no way that any government is going to risk losing massive votes to legalise a drug with (some) proven negative side effects, simply to get the stoner vote. It's bad political math, and personally I think it would do more harm than good from a community medical point of view.

7. volksmenner

volksmenner practitioner of æsthetics

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0

all drugs should be legal.

ps. and no i don't use any.

8. Blackness

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0

I agree... mostly.. :D

In many countries 10% of people smoke weed at least once a month.
    That's a lot of 'stoner' votes.

9. Harbringer

Harbringer New Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

It's got to be more than that.. 10% is pretty small to be honest.

10. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0

That's what I was thinking, Harbringer. I thought it would be like 40% or so.

11. Blackness

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0

Anyway, the point is they wouldn't lose that many votes, as a matter of fact, they might get extra votes >.>...

12. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0

I think it should be illegal and considered as a drug.Dis iz a thing for da Jamaicans mooon!;)

One heart one looove let's get together noooow and feel alright...

Did I say that right?'Cause I don't know Bob Marley's songs well

13. Senekha

Senekha <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0

At least that, too - the stats, as of a couple years ago (I haven't checked recently) were that the town I live in has the most drugs/pot per capita in Canada (I can't remember if it was America, too), so needless to say, there was a VERY small percentage, for example, of students in my old high school that didn't either do drugs (mostly weed) or drink excessively. Very small as in, 10-15 percent. I mean, there are 9 year old kids here hawking crystal meth...

My personal opinion is that marijuana should not be legalized. I can see the reasons people have for legalizing as noteworthy, but if pot is legalized, what's next? Drinking used to be banned as well, but now it's just illegal to do anything while drunk (ie driving), though there are still plenty of accidents from drunk driving. The fact that drunk driving is illigal is benefactory, though, because it cracks down hard on the prepetrator.

I just grew up around way too much drugs, and I've never felt the inclination to try them myself. They alter your personality (I'm aware the excessive use of alcohol does as well, but in small doses alcohol doesn't have any negative effects) over time, killing brain cells and worse (look at crystal meth). Some argue that pot's not addictive, which is bullsh!t, and is no worse than drinking - but I personally know many people who "just" do weed, and it's altered their appearance enough that it is quite noticable.

And pot smells disgusting, lol. In my opinion, if you want to have fun or get a "high", go do something active for fun that doesn't include the consumption of mind-altering substances.

14. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0

Well I kinda have to laugh at that, since how would you be able to count the people who show no noticable difference to compare the two groups. Weed isnt addictive as a substance, the addictive factor tends to be a personality or gentic trait inherent in the person already, these people are just as likely to be addicted to alcohol or foods, only long term and excessive use can lead to a chemical dependency just like a lot of things. If you smoke one joint and leave it at that unless youre prone to schizophrenia or addicition then the chances are you wont pick up another unless you enjoyed it.

15. Blackness

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0

Lol, when was drinking banned?
    People have been drinking, and getting drunk for thousands of years now, so when was it banned lol?

Altered their appereance? They alter personality? Herion alters personality, weed doesn't (unless you smoke, like 10 joints a day).

The point is, weed doesn't make you take a gun, and kill everyone around you, it soothes your mind and makes you happy.
    I've tried both alcohol and weed, and if i had to choose, alcohol would be the worse one, ( although i think all drugs should be legalized, i mean, everyone chooses their own way...)

If someone wants to destroy their body and mind with crystal meth, it's their own damn choice.
    Like suicide, is suicide banned? I don't think so lol.

16. Senekha

Senekha <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0

IT doesnt change everyone, but I know some heavy users, who only do pot and nothing heavy, that show it in their face.

And it doesn't matter what it is about the substance that makes it addictive - the fact is is that it IS addictive, whether it be mentally or physically. Some people have a greater tolerance to addictions than others, but that doesn't change anything. I have a gene from my father's side that ensures that anything I try even once, I'm hooked on. It's like that with all my dad's side of the family, which is why several of his brothers are drunks and duggies in rehab (or were, until the one was found dead on his lawnmover, at the ripe old age of 35). Those who don't drink are chain smokers with the exception of my dad. Which gives me good reason to stay away from anything like that.

Blackness: Of course there has always been drinking throughout history, but there have been periods where it's been banned.

Suicide's not outlawed because it doesn't generally hurt anyone else (physically that is). are you saying that you think it's safe to drive while you're high?

17. Blackness

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0

It's not safe, but it's still somewhat safer than driving while drunk.
    And driving while being drunk is banned, while being drunk isn't.
    AND, people who are drunk can't know if they will drive when they get drunk or not, because alcohol completely takes over reason.
    Weed doesn't, and you will still be in control of your actions; If you understand that your driving while stoned will affect your driving, then you won't drive.

If you don't wanna smoke weed, that is your choice, and i respect that, but if i choose to smoke it, then it's my choice, and i willingly take up all the risk that comes with it.

18. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0

Also, I think the paranoia that comes with weed would be more likely to aid driving carefully than the loss of motor skills that comes with alcohol

Alright thats fair enough for you to not want to try it, but honestly that has little to do with the debate, we're talking about the legalisation not whether you should do it, even if it were legal you could still avoid it all you want and evade addiction just as with alcohol at the moment. the point is your own personal case cant be representative for the majority, by those standards it would be safer is alcohol was illegal too (hell, it would be safer anyway).

If youve got an addictive personaility of physiology then by all means avoid it, but otherwise I think as long as youre not hurting anyone else and know the consequences of your actions it should be alright.

19. curunir's bane

curunir's bane Kwisatch Haderach

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

Sounds like maybe people should learn some drinking responsibility before they are given the ability to drive. But let's not get off topic.

20. chimera_789

chimera_789 Queen of Air and Darkness

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0

It's no worse than alcohol in the mind-altering or addiction department, and it's not as bad for you or as addictive as cigarettes, both of which are legal, so I don't see why it shouldn't be legal. Some people don't like weed at all or hate being high, just like some people hate being drunk. Some people become pot-heads and completely unproductive couch potatoes, just like some people become self-destructive alcoholics.

Search tags for this page

joyness of marijuana

will legal pot make other drugs legal