Should Marijuana & Other Drugs be Legal or Illegal

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Turambar, Mar 22, 2004.

?

Should marijuana be legal?

1. It should be legal

46 vote(s)
    59.0%
  2. It shouldn't be legal

26 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Undecided

6 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. OrcShaman

OrcShaman Star Trek addict

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Re: Should marijuana be legal?

Hell yeah! Weed's fun :p
    seriously, legalising it will put and end to the street dealers' "careers"; also, more money from taxes

2. The Man from Niefldarth

The Man from Niefldarth your worst nightmare!

My fortress of Mâkinaashanaz, Grinning Doorminh.
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

yeah, keeping it illegal won't stop people that smokes to smoke it, and we could say it's more dangerous, because it keeps criminal organisation going; if you could buy it at your local grocer, there wouldn't be much dealers on the streets!

plus, what's the big deal 'bout weed? yes, it's dangerous for health, but isn't tobacco and alchool dangerous too? speaking of that, when you take alchool, it's dangerous for people around you, as you can kill someone when driving. but POT? Heck, everyone I know who smokes only do things like sitting n' laughing and playing nintendo when they're high! don't tell me it can make them commit illegal acts!

3. The Master™

The Master™ New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Personally I would love to see marijana made legal... I haven't smoked it since I was 17, but would love to re-start...

4. Blackness

Blackness Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Re: Marihuana: Legal/Illegal

I believe marijuana should be legalised...
    Why?
    Because I don't see any reason why it should be banned... for example i will take alcohol..
    Alcohol... now... that is legal, isn't it?
    Yet a lot more deaths happen under influence of alcohol, including those in traffic..
    While, in marijuana you still make traffic errors, but you don't turn up pulling a gun and shooting someone..
    Have you ever heard of anyone killing someone purposefully under influence of marijuana?
    I haven't... I'm not saying it's impossible, but everyday I read my newspapers, i see countless deaths happened: ''Husband beat his wife to death under alcohol'' , or ''Alcoholised driver killed a family of 4 while driving a truck in the wrong way in a tunnel'' - I could count millions of similar stories...

What I'm trying to say is: When you consume alcohol, you are a threat both to yourself and to others around you, while consuming marijuana you only hurt yourself, which a i find a lot more acceptible than alcohol...

Ok, in this post I just showed the difference between alcohol, which is legal, and marijuana, which is not...
    BUT, I personally belive it should be someone's choice to take marijuana...
    And I would put the limit there.

Alcohol = :yakonyou
    Marijuana = :D

5. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0

The main problem is the major effects it has on those who are prone to mental illness. Marijuana is like a firecracker in the brain of someone susceptible to it, so yes people can get majorly messed up and sometimes violent on weed if they are genetically predisposed to it. So it's not harmless, although I also don't consider it any worse (or better) than alcohol or tobacco. I happily live my life without all 3 and I'm quite okay with that.

6. rhapsody of serendai

rhapsody of serendai Thorn's Lover

Ratings:
    +157 / 0 / -0

Mub I'm with you on this one, I've tried alcohol (I still drink but only in moderation), tried smoking (It's just plain nasty) and I've tried marijauana a few times (and I can say it affects different people in different ways). All three affect the human body in a negative way and the world would be a much better place without all three drugs.

Now before someone spouts some crap about red wine being good for the heart, I've heard this before and I know that exercise and healthy eating is better for the heart than alcohol!

7. Warlock Lord

Warlock Lord I am a Fashion Statement

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0

this shouldnt even be a debate!!!

of course it should be legal... people should be allowed do what they want if there actions dont affect others...

8. rhapsody of serendai

rhapsody of serendai Thorn's Lover

Ratings:
    +157 / 0 / -0

Hey noob!
    Who are you to say what people should be allowed to do? Only Commander Rhaps has that power! hahahahaha

Oh sorry, I forgot this is supposed to be a serious debate!

*Puts serious face back on*

9. Blackness

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0

I completely agree... alcoholics affect others, marihuana consumers don't.. (well, maybe a little but it can be controlled, while alcohol cannot)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Warlock Lord

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0

an excelent argument if i may say so!!! :)

11. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0

The human mind can still develop a dependency to pot. While it's not a physical addiction like you'll get with alcohol or tobacco it can become an equally potent mental one, although it's not as common as with most other drugs. Plus, alcohol can be controlled. Not everyone who drinks is a violent life in the gutter alcoholic. While alcoholics that are a negative influence on others are more common hop heads who are aren't non-existent by any means.

12. Blackness

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0

Don't know about you, but when i get drunk I do things which i cannot control, i just do what i want to do.. :D

13. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0

The same thing happens on pot. It just happens that what you want to do usually involves sitting on the couch, eating whatever you can get your hands on, and watching bad tv/movies which at the time seem hilarious. Alcohol consumption can be controlled though. And that was what I was saying.

14. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0

I think at the end of the day pot and alcohol both have their down sides, but I'd say theyre similar on a level of danger/strength etc. Alcohol can lead to alcoholism is some case just as pot can lead to metal health issues in some cases, both have direct adverse health effects on lungs/liver. The only other factor in the under-the-influence, we all know alcohol can lead to agression and a lot of car accidents and I dont see weed causing as many of those.

Now, I'll come clean here, I've done it in the past and have had both positive and negative experiences, sure munhies/giggles are fun, but it can leave you feeling horrible the next day (though no worse than a really bad hangover). Though I've only done it a couple of times so I wont consider myself a wealth of knowledge on the topic. I think it just comes down to social acceptance, and if marijuhana were given the same amount of government control as alcohol it would be safer and no more harmful than alcohol apart from the minority who are suceptable to its effects, and for then we cna issue warning labels and such, and people who think theyve ben effed-up by smoking dope can go to the doctor worry free to seek medical care.

15. Warlock Lord

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0

excelent!!! i think this might be the first time i agree with you! :D

as you said, all substances have there down-sides... i just dont see why i cant smoke marijuhana legaly, when it actually does not effect anyone else...

im no expert either, having only taken it a few times... but, my experience has shown that side-effects are actually not as extreme as that of alcohol!

on another note, in ireland as in the UK, large amounts of people use it as medication... and this is still illegal!

not to mention the money the government would make on taxes... although you could argue the point that this is cancelled out by the extra medical costs...

16. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0

Remember the story in the news about the elderly lady who used it in her cooking, i think it was for medical reasons. They kept haing to arrest her because she wouldnt stop.

17. Warlock Lord

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0

yes... that was the case i had in mind... i mean what harm is she doing... she lost her son and she lives alone!!!

for me there is absolutly no harm in what she does... she grows her own plants... and she came clean as in she didnt try to hide it!!!

18. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0

That's a cop-out if ever there was one. The makers of Jim Bean or Budweiser don't add anger, violence, sleeping around or a foul mouth in their list of ingredients. Alcohol simply releases what's really inside a person. Which is why it's such a great way to get to know the REAL person.

On one hand, it seems stupid NOT to make it legal, so it can be quality controlled and taxed and those tax dollars can be put to good use.
    On the other hand, legalising something that is proven to cause major mentla health problems in certain people is not a likely step for a politician to make.

Medicinal marijuana use should be a no-brainer. If it's the only thing that can help a patient eat and stay alive, and they're willing to accept the possible risks of mental side effects, then let them have it.

19. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0

Heh, i have a friend who never drinks more than 2 drinks because he's afraid of waking up next to a guy. He didnt respond well to the 'it doesnt make you do anything that you dont actually want to do somewhere deep down'.

Obviously they dont add the anger, but lowering the inhibitions brings it out, whihc is where weed had the advantage, it tend to 'chill' you out rather than lower inhibitions.

20. HaldirofLorien

HaldirofLorien Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I hate the stuff. It causes people to go schizophrenic. I did the stuff once in my life and it made me depressed so bad for about a week afterwards I will never touch the vile stuff again. It should all be banned . End of story.

Search tags for this page

joyness of marijuana

will legal pot make other drugs legal