Should Marijuana & Other Drugs be Legal or Illegal

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Turambar, Mar 22, 2004.

?

Should marijuana be legal?

1. It should be legal

46 vote(s)
    59.0%
  2. It shouldn't be legal

26 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Undecided

6 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Re: Marihuana: Legal/Illegal

Likewise here.

2. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0

Did marijuana "lead" them to using these other, harder drugs?

Scientific evidence of addiction and lowered resistance of addiction to other drugs. http://www.nbb.cornell.edu/neurobio/harris-warrick/BioNB392/Whittaker_BioNB392-paper.pdf

I believe that one use of pot is with chemotherapy patients and the such who have major nausea and can't eat. Smoking pot effectively gives you the munchies and supresses nausea, so you can eat, which helps you to maintain weight and strength while undergoing a very harsh treatment. As for other uses, I can't comment.

Marijuana has no greater effect than other medicinal drugs used for the same purpose.

http://www.acde.org/common/Marijana.htm

Tobacco is a worthless and pointless habit that I dont intend to defend. Alcohol is only different in the respect of mild medical benefits in small doses "one drink daily for women and two for men" from the U.S. Dietary Guidelines (paid supporters?). 25% of drinkers qualify as abusers by that guideline. But 25% of drinkers buy 75% of the alcohol sold in the states. This means more than half of the drinkers dont drink enough on a daily basis to become intoxicated or cause harm. That said, both substances are heavily regulated, fined and banned by the government. Alcohol is regulated by content. High proof liquors are not avaiable a many areas. A purchaser must be an adult to buy and has a responsibility to obey strict laws in it's use. The days where the corporations can deny the dangers are past. But marijuana supporters (present debaters excluded) are using a platorm of harmlessness to preach legalization.

what do funny cigarette people say?

http://www.thehempire.com/cannabis/medicine_what_the_experts_say.php

thats what kids think

http://www.freevibe.com/drug_facts/mj.asp ; http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2238053.stm

This alone is proof that legalization will not stop the black market. The target market is 14-16 and those users are more likely to use harder drugs later.

http://www.ssavy.org/parents/initiation_marijuana.html

[/I]Alcohol and tobacco - potentially harmful and/or addictive substances, that the government makes untold millions/billions of dollars from every year.[/I]

Thats interesting maybe thats why the spend happy liberals want hemp legal.... just kidding

As has been said, prohibition didn't stop people wanting alcohol.

The major difference between the two is the demand. 69 million americans have tried marijuana in their lifetime (about 1 in 4) . Over 60 million in 99 admitted to having a problem drinking. 75 % of americans (~200 million) claim to drink once a week or more. Alcohol cannot be stopped the same way. Smoking might be diminished enough at some point to make it illegal though.

http://uhs.healthinkonline.com/modules/webpackage/pkgWebPackage.asp?packageID=372&pageID=995 ; http://www.nmha.org/substance/factsheet.cfm

This one is interesting. Cannibis leads to alcohol abuse study
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2679471.stm

3. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0

I could google a half dozen sites that support marijuanan too; half the sites you quoted are anti-drug sites, you may as well quote your mother. And FreeVibe is a site put on by kids, it's a site designed by adults for kids.

And notice in your own BBC quote:
    Now, we are all well aware that smoking is bad for you, alcohol isn't great, either. But they're not illegal. I don't think that all of a sudden that if pot was legalized that everyone will be walking down the street smoking it.

What's stopping you now? Worried about getting arrested? Please. The chances of that are small. Most people that don't do it don't because they don't want to, not because it's illegal.

It's like the cars. Why can most cars do 110 MPH? There's nowhere in the US that you can drive that speed. Oh my. Maybe we should make cars that can do 65 MPH tops. Because if we made cars that do 110MPH EVERYONE would do it...right?....:rolleyes:

4. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0

I could google a half dozen sites that support marijuanan too;

That was part of my point. It's why I used so many. I dont necessarily believe everything the studies concluded. The fact that there is such a contradiction shows that most of the arguments are only interested in supporting their own side. The actual statistics themselves are more interesting.

I don't think that all of a sudden that if pot was legalized that everyone will be walking down the street smoking it.

I agree with that but I think that ANYONE walking down the street smoking marijuana openly would be a big change in cultural acceptance of the drug. Casual use in movies has already made a large impact just in the last few years.

Why can most cars do 110 MPH? There's nowhere in the US that you can drive that speed.

Since most people do speed, some even beyond twice the limit I am not sure what this proves. Clearly we allow people the freedom to break the law and pay the punishment if they are caught.

half the sites you quoted are anti-drug sites

I believe that most of the information on pro legalization sites is rhetoric like the hempire link above. Just as you believe (im sure) the same of those anti drug sites.

5. Vandral

Vandral Dark One Reborn

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Should marijuana be legal?

It's a big topic of debate here in Canada as marijuana comes closer and closer to being legalized. What do you think about the subject. Personally, I think it's about the same as alchohol, and should be legalized, albiet with great restrictions. Taxed heavily too, so the rest of us can take a tax break.

6. Grima Wormtongue

Grima Wormtongue Man in black

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Re: Should marijuana be legal?

I hate people who do drugs. I have never smoked, drank, or tried any drug in my short life, nor will I ever want too. But this is so big in canada, everyone knows someone who does it. So I think it should be legal, because its too big to get rid of
    -wormtongue

7. Evils Dark Master

Evils Dark Master He's Ba'ack...

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

Unfortunately this is not a yes/no debate.
    Before I make anymore statements let me say I am well aware of the affects alcohol have on the human body.

Ok, so the debate here has also be raging on and off for about 10 years. Two states have no made it legal, they have however decriminalised it. This means when you get caught with it or with plants growning, you are not treated like a drug dealer, you get a fine and a slap on the wrist. OK the twists, if you are caught with more than 2oz's that is considered a trafficable amaount and not for personal use. You are then treated like a drug dealer. You are allowed to grow upto 2 plant and are fined $100 for each plant. You are allowed to keep the plants and can't be fined twice for the same plants.

I used to live in one of these states and found the relaxed laws worked quite well. However there are some very large side effects, I was diagnosed with throat cancer a few years back, also since my usage days I have been diagnosed with a chemical inbalance in my brain. A study here in the state I lived in found that 90-95% of all users developed this same chemical inbalance. Quite treatable and in most cases is fine inaround 3-4 years after usage stops. However in people who have been using for an extended period paraniod anitsocial behavior becomes an everyday occurance, even when not using with no return to normality except through high doses of drugs. THC is a psyctropic agent which does do damage to your brain. Thats my story, take from it what you will.

OK where do I stand I say it down to personal choice, legal or not makes no difference. If you want it you can get it.

8. Anduril

Anduril Flame of the West

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

Because of the health detriments to the heart I would have to say "No".

9. Winterine

Winterine Ranger-Bard

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0

I think it is completely up to the user if it's used ot not, but it should be legalised. My arguement is basically the same as Vandral's. The public should be educated, and educated well about its effects and consequences, but beyond that it's too much trouble to try and stop it going around and making such a fuss. If it's legalised, heavily taxed, and had restrictions put on its usage, it'd free up time and money that could be put to better use...

Like a better bloody pulic transport system in the Hills district... grrr....

10. Evils Dark Master

Evils Dark Master He's Ba'ack...

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

So how do you test against being under it's affects while driving? Unlike alcohol you can't just breath into a machine and see if you have taken it. Sure they have tests for to tell if have smoked it... however these work for up to 12 hours after you have used it. What if I have eaten it.... or made a tea from it. So how do they know you are high right at the moment you are stopped????

I'm not agruing for or against leagalisation. It's just a bigger topic than Yes or No.

11. Paisley Pixie

Paisley Pixie Goddess of Darkness

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I remember here in Texas when they had quite an enormous debate over this issue for months a few years back. It's still heavily debated to this day. I'm not for yes/no on the issue because of me being half cherokee. My ancestors and even some of my family members that are still alive-smoke marijuana as part of their rituals. Marijuana is also becoming quite common with being used for medical purposes as well, some doctors even say it's much more effective than prescribed drugs most of the time.

I'm not going to lie--I used to smoke marijuana (aka 'pot'). I smoked it for nearly 4 years until one day, I just set my joint down and said no more-haven't smoked marijuana since. And that was in June of 2003-nearly 2 years ago. I didn't quit because of the talk with health issues and blah blah blah... I quit because it was illegal, and I'm young. I didn't want to go to jail over a petty thing like that, and at the time, I had wild roommates that almost caused me to get busted for it a couple of times. Not fun.
    But that was the past.

I agree--If it is legalized, it should be taxed heavily, with warning labels and educating the public. It really is no different than a cigarrette or hard liquor. Hell, it can be grown right in your house if you really wanted to!

I'm not for either side-personally, I don't care if it was to be legalized or not.

12. Sir Frost

Sir Frost Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

of course not it should not be legal and I am so surprised many people said it should be legal this a crazy topic.

13. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0

I voted no...but actually make it legal and put a large warning on it, like they do with cigarettes...Produce them in cigarettes so there is a limit of how much marihuana is in each cigarette.

14. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

I'd like to hear your reasoning on why you believe so strongly that it should not be legal. :)

15. pinkflyingwalruses

pinkflyingwalruses Beatnik

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

if you make it legal, people won't have to sneak it, which will probably bring down the rates of people trying to use it. just an idea. and human nature.

16. Celestial Wanderer

Celestial Wanderer searching for peace...

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

No , you are wrong , PFW. Doing so will give rise to more oppourtunites for people to get acess to drugs. If drungs are made illegal, one has to be a thief nad a hoodlum, before he becomes an addict..a path many would deviate from. This may no necessarily be true all the time, but it is a dcommon scenario.

17. pinkflyingwalruses

pinkflyingwalruses Beatnik

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I cannot speak for everyone, but what i have noticed is when people are told not to do something, it makes them want to do it even more.

18. Vandral

Vandral Dark One Reborn

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0

I agree that marijuana is a pretty bad substance, and it can lead to even worse substance abuse. But what about alchohol? Should we ban it then? I for one (and this is a personal thought) would rather be around some mellow stoned guy, then be around some violent drunk. I don't approve of marijuana's use, but I also see it as a very good cash crop if taxed and controlled (and I stress CONTROLLED) by the government.

19. Apple Core

Apple Core New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I voted for legalizing it--but, like others here have said, it should be regulated and taxed like cigarettes and alcohol.

A.C.

20. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0

Tricky topic.

In many ways, it's just like cigarettes. It's a smokable plant that doesn't tend to make people commit violent crimes or get aggressive like some others do. Valuable tax dollars could be gained from its sale. Legalising it would remove revenue from illegal gangs who currently grow and sell it.

However, like cigarettes, it causes major health problems. Cigarettes cause heart disease and lung cancer, marijuana can cause mental health problems and respiratory problems.

Humanity seems to need its drugs though, so why not tax it to offset some of the medical costs that are happening from its use anyway?

Search tags for this page

joyness of marijuana

will legal pot make other drugs legal