Should Marijuana & Other Drugs be Legal or Illegal

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Turambar, Mar 22, 2004.

?

Should marijuana be legal?

1. It should be legal

46 vote(s)
    59.0%
  2. It shouldn't be legal

26 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Undecided

6 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Dreamscaper

Dreamscaper Royal Hamster Wrangler

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    Hmm, some stuff to think about there. The quotes only show that things are still being tested, but there is still a considerable risk in some people.

My question is where is the line drawn between 'free will' and 'baker act'? If flipping burgers is what they have their heart set on, then fine by all means, I mean doing that job made me wonder how much suicide by fryer would hurt, but if they enjoy it by all means go ahead. However, if that's what your capability is reduced to by taking something and not knowing that was a potential outcome is something I have issues with. It's the unwittingly destroying one's mind that I have issues with. I have the same issues with alcohol, even if I like it here and there, people destroy themselves with it.

Moving up the social ladder is important to me because I'm pretty much at the bottom of it (not refusing to work bottom, but minimum wage bottom) and it really sucks being down here. If you choose to be in this position that's your business certainly, but I must question your ability to make rational decisions if so. I don't necessarily mean you need to have a CEO level of work ethic or ambition, but surely the ambition to not live check to check with the threat of losing your home if you miss a single pay period isn't too much to ask. I'd go as far as argue that if you don't care so little that living in the street doesn't bother you then you need to be checked into a psych facility. Sorry, starving to death is not something any rational being would want to do.

Libertarian, yes. Not 'do whatever you please' Anarchist. Perhaps my perceptions are skewed by the pot smokers that I've known, but none of them really showed initiative in doing anything other than finding the next high and setting up parties so that they can get high in a group, hardly the sense of duty to family, community, and nation that the libertarian ideal holds. Still, I value my experiences on the matter more than I value abstract argument or trust the word of someone else. Maybe I'll meet more responsible weed smokers one day, but until then I know what I've seen.

2. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    It probably has less to do with the pot smokers you know, but the caliber of people that you know on a day to day basis (as you already admitted to be at the lower end of social standing).

I make well into six figures, own a $50,000 sports car (summer toy), a winter car, a truck and rather expensive house and hold sizeable investments. As a matter of fact, the last time I made less than six figures I was 30, and the year was 1997. And half the men my age on the street are in the same position I am. And a fair percentage of those, myself included, smoke pot ... on occasion.

I've smoked pot with lawyers and judges and cops and teachers. Now, that might seem like a lot of pot; but reality is that it's on rare occasion, but I am 46 so those occasions add up over time.

Now, seeing that I have the means, why wouldn't I smoke pot all the time? Well, because I don't have the time. The same reason I rarely drink. I can't be high or drunk when I'm working, the risk to my life and others' lives is too (pardon the pun) high. Or you can't be drunk or high dealing with 4 kids or driving that sports car.

Which underscores the fact that smoking pot occasionally doesn't exclude you from being a responsible, hardworking citizen any more than having a few beers with your buddies on the weekend. Far many more lives are ruined by alcohol than pot; and not only does the government sanction it, it profits from it. If pot was legalized tomorrow, you wouldn't suddenly have people staying home eating potato chips rather than working, any more than you would now. Unless you're an unemployed pot dealer. The abusers would still abuse and the workers would still work. The workers can get pot now and they go to work, the only thing it would hurt is the criminal element.

3. Dreamscaper

Dreamscaper Royal Hamster Wrangler

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    Fair enough. Laughed at the pun. I'll accept that its more to do with being in this social strata and not in general.

4. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    A - omg Skyanide just posted something :D

B - this sums up my view too:

If ALL drugs were made legal tomorrow, I still wouldn't touch them, because I have neither the time, nor the money to waste. I imagine many/most people would be the same.

5. Skyanide

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Yep! Good for the year now! :D

6. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    My thoughts exactly! That's really the only reason I came to this thread!

On topic: drugs should be illegal. Final. Some are made to wreak havoc (LSD) and some are really just poisons with a “good” side-effect.

7. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

Likewise, I'm a productive citizen whose never been on unemployment, pays his mortgage on time, drives a sports car... unfortunately it's a Corvette and the air conditioning is on the blink so I'm dying this summer :), contribute to my 401k, etc, etc... so I mostly agree with you.

When I was younger I tried cocaine, loved it.
    Snorted it, mainlined it, did it at parties, with girlfriends, overdosed on it. Nearly bit the dust because of it. Cocaine is awesome. I didn't like the person I was becoming so I stopped using it and have never so much as been tempted to use coke again. I've never smoked much pot simply because it gets me anxious and makes my ears ring something terrible. But it's really not much different than drinking a few beers and relaxing.
    Also, did meth for a little bit. No upside to that drug.

That said, this is not the Netherlands or even Canada.
    I live in America and legalizing marijuana would condemn half the black male population and a fair number of lower class whites in this country to everlasting poverty. Keep it illegal, but not fanatically so. I actually think we've finally reached an appropriate balance here in regards to pot. In most States it's not that big a deal to be caught with a small amount of it; pretty much like getting a traffic citation.

We impose limits on the behavior of others because that's how society works. In this case, you and I are not free to do as we will with our mind and body because ultimately those choices have unintended consequences and effect the lives of our fellow citizens. I'm alright with society and the resulting governments we share placing constraints on what I can and cannot do with my being. It doesn't always mean that I'll follow the rules. I'll sometimes do what I want regardless and take my chances, and **** unintended consequences.

8. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

You are correct... except we poison ourselves with so much more than simply drugs.
    I consider God & Religion to be a poison. It's a mind killer and more dangerous than all the rest combined.

9. Skyanide

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    We have a black male population and lower class whites in Canada, too. Most countries do. Why should the American condition be any worse than anywhere else?

They have the same access to drugs, worse so considering the fact that you have to deal with the criminal element to obtain them. That's like saying, well, if alcohol was legalized in the US all the young blacks and whites would be drunk all the time .... oh, wait ...

What it would help, though, is reducing the amount of drug-selling-related crime and drug turf wars, something that could actually spur an improvement in a lot of lives.

10. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

The problem is you're comparing blacks in my country with those living in Canada.
    I hold dual citizenship, I'm a Canadian so I know. The blacks in Vancouver and Toronto are no different than white folks. You want an eye-opening experience, come on down to the Deep South where I live and you will be astounded. You give these people free access to marijuana and there will be no saving them.

11. Skyanide

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I hold dual citizenship as well. I've lived in the US, grew up in Windsor, Ont (a suburb of Detroit) and have spent a great deal of time in the US for both work (I work for a Detroit automobile company) and vacation; and while I'm sure that your experience may vary from mine, I've seen both ends of the scale in both countries.

And if you believe that free access to marijuana isn't available now in either country, you'd be mistaken. But what you do have in the US that you don't have in Canada is the same level of organized crime to obtain said drug.

12. Zymbaline

Zymbaline Your Muse

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I think that as long as you don't harm anybody, do whatever you want. But of course there should be very strict regulations and I don't think drugs should be promoted or marketed as something good - but I don't see why they should be illegal if it's only for personal use.

13. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
  14. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    More than a decade of decriminalisation and things are working well for Portugal:

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/portugal-drug-policy-decriminalization-works-2012-7

15. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Americans stoners, shamble your way to Colorado :D Recreational marijuana is now for sale, totally legally. Sounds like it's being run the same as alcohol and cigarettes - don't drive under the influence, don't take it across state lines of course or it'll become illegal again, but otherwise, you're good to go.

Some of the medicinal marijuana retailers have now been authorised to sell it to recreational users at up to an ounce at a time. It is coming from the existing stockpile of medicinal marijuana though, and some of the shops sold out immediately (big surprise), so let's hope the actual medicinal patients don't experience a shortage of weed, or they'll inevitably end up going to the black market to find what they need.

I'm not a fan of putting stuff like alcohol or drugs into my body, but overall I subscribe to the philosophy of "if it harms no-one else, do what you like." So rock on potheads. It's ridiculous that US jails are overflowing with pot smokers, and someone smoking a joint can have a permanent stain on their criminal record.

16. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus Constantly Around :D

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    so pot is okay in your opinion, how about crack, E, PCP, meth, heroine, LSD?

17. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Ranger of Shadow

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    it all depends on the drug in question. I feel like marijuana should in fact be legalized and I will stand by that forever I think. not only is it ridiculous how much tax money is going into upkeeping people in the prison system for marijuana related crimes, but I believe people should be able to do what they want, as long as they aren't hurting anyone, kinda like what Mubs said a few years ago :D

18. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    I think legalize all drugs and let the natural selection do its work.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Daughter of Hell

Daughter of Hell damosel in distress

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -2
    I think laws should be illegal and let natural selection do its work. Marijuana is just a plant and is virtually harmless, especially in comparison to alcohol and tobacco. The illegalization of it is proof laws are just oppressive rubbish. I've never obeyed the law, anyway.

20. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    Well to be frank -the weed is ban only because it has no consistency in its effect on people. While Alcohol and tobacco effect people similarly. But still there is no point in baning something widely available. countries should profit from drug users, but not encourage it, and baning in my personal opinion has low impact on drug user count.

Search tags for this page

joyness of marijuana

will legal pot make other drugs legal