Should Marijuana & Other Drugs be Legal or Illegal

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Turambar, Mar 22, 2004.

?

Should marijuana be legal?

1. It should be legal

46 vote(s)
    59.7%
  2. It shouldn't be legal

26 vote(s)
    33.8%
  3. Undecided

5 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    haha smoke weed

2. Lord Yuan

Lord Yuan Death-Thousand+

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I'm with Sparrow on this one, they can be gratification for absolutely nothing. They aren't evil but they can completely wreck people and give them no motivation to do anything or invest themselves without taking a pill first. Like a mass dependency on adderall to get through the day, it isn't healthy to be so dependent on something you can force yourself to adapt to.

Or maybe the negative health effects are important to feel. The human body has pain and stress built in as survival mechanisms. If people were relaxed 100% of the time and lived longer so they could relax more and space out, what good would that do anybody, even the user?

Chemical mind manipulation is very hard to control and can be abused for all the wrong reasons up to the point of lethality. Still, they are a last resort kind of thing. When people take pills to be happy and to focus, they are depending on a pill to do something they need to face themselves in their real life. Find better ways to relax or find entertainment, find new meaning or set a goal to motivate them.

3. Anrisa Ryn

Anrisa Ryn Author, artist, gamer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Quoted for truth.

4. Kakashi

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    I think selling drugs should be illegal but actually using them shouldn't.

5. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    That would be reasonable enforcement, you can't really punish people for being addicted to things, at least it is very ineffective. Still they should be required to take on like a rehab program.

6. Kakashi

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, that's fair. I just don't see the reason to arrest like millions of people for having drugs. I mean maybe it should go on their record and they should have to go to rehab or something, but putting them in jail just doesn't help anything.

7. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    I hear Bob Marley sing in my head

8. olivia_the_lamb

olivia_the_lamb Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    Selling marijuana should be no more illegal than selling alcohol is.

And sure, people use drugs and alcohol as an easy solution to difficult problems, as a crutch... but some people also use them for fun. I'm not an advocate for hard drugs, I don't think they should be legal. But I do think that a drug as relatively harmless, and much less harmless than alcohol, like marijuana, should not be illegal, nor should the selling of it. Our cultural views on marijuana are very skewed mostly because people do not understand what the plant actually does to your body or mind. Granted, like any other substance, it does damage brain cells, but brain cells have regenerative properties, and if you don't damage them all the time, they repair themselves.There are also receptors in our brain specifically for THC, the main active chemical in marijuana.

9. Beldaran

Beldaran Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    a mental addiction is still an addiction right?? i think the mental addiction is practically the problem, addiction to cigarettes for example is also mainly the mental side which is the problem. It's not good to use much marijuana.. my step-brother and my ex were addicted and it did a lot to them.. they didn't go outside anymore, had no fun doing anything, didn't go to school, go to work. They only watched tv and smoked.. it was awful!

the brain-cells regeneration is true... but i don't think that's the problem either.. it's the fact that drugs stimulate disorders like schizophrenia and adhd.. a friend of mine used a drug called salvia once..and have been on anti-psychoses for over a few years now.. most people don't get this sort of problems.. but as you never know how you are going to react to it.. i'm not going to use it..it's very unpredictable.

well on the other hand.. alcohol could also be seen as a hard drug.. and i drink alcohol.. alongside the greater part of the world.. bit hypocritical right ;)?

10. Beldaran

Beldaran Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i suddenly remember.. jnk perhaps you know something about that.. isn't there in switzerland a project which gives addicted people doses of heroin for free? and helps them building up a good life again? which is doing great.. criminal offences decreased with 70% or something??

11. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, then you demonize them and put a permanent mar on their record because they were just human. I could go on about how our culture is relentlessly unforgiving and damning as far as stuff like that goes.

As much as I despise mind altering materials, ultimately making them legal would be the best, then they would be easier to control and restrict within areas that they would be the most harmful. Like with kids, addicts, or dependent people. I also think that using these materials for fun is painfully hollow. There are plenty of ways to enjoy life that also include keeping memories and learning new things that are far more productive and beneficial in the long run. But I can't blame people for taking the easy way out, like I said before.

12. Anrisa Ryn

Anrisa Ryn Author, artist, gamer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Plus the gov't could make a killing taxing all those now-legal drugs. xD

13. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    True, but I'm sure there would still be drug sales that ignore the laws and taxes. Really the law is for stopping rational people, if somebody really wants to get some heavy duty firearms or potent drugs they just have to push that bit more harder. So the worst of it probably won't be fixed by passing laws or not either way.

14. Reece56364

Reece56364 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  15. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    I think you've been drinking a little too much Red Rum my friend.

16. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus Constantly Around :D

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    well if they DO legalize it, I hope they make sure the citizens are WELL informed of the side-effects. It sucks to think you're doing something "cool" only to have asthma/cancer down the road.

17. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Also very strict local rules on when and where. Because one of my roommates enjoyed himself I had the pleasure of cleaning up a puddle of grown man's urine. Private living areas, fine by me. Bar like businesses, fine by me. Out in the open and in publicly shared living space? Over my dead body.

18. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    about that. There should be fines for disturbing the peace and destruction of property, even (or maybe especially) when under the influence, I don't care of what.

19. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    This being said, they did a study on pot-smokers with a 10-year follow up and none of them had serious health complications. This study had it's flaws though, 10 years is a short time to test for cancer. They also did another study however that showed that exposing rat tumors to marijuana smoke prevented them from growing in size.

In comparison to tobacco, marijuana has less chemical additives, but conversely pot smokers hold the smoke in their lungs for longer in order to get higher.

Over time, longer duration studies will provide conclusive evidence about the health effects of smoking marijuana.

20. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    we'll be looking forward to those studies. it wasn't too long ago, after all, that asbestos was a commonly-used construction material, and deemed "safe".

Search tags for this page

joyness of marijuana

will legal pot make other drugs legal