Should Marijuana & Other Drugs be Legal or Illegal

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Turambar, Mar 22, 2004.

?

Should marijuana be legal?

1. It should be legal

46 vote(s)
    59.0%
  2. It shouldn't be legal

26 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Undecided

6 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Anrisa Ryn

Anrisa Ryn Author, artist, gamer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Re: Marihuana: Legal/Illegal

Research shows that marijuana is not addictive, nor does it harm the body. People are just concerned that it may be a gateway drug or something. Apparently, it actually helps improve long-term memory when used in small doses, and it also reduces pain (when used medicinally). So I'm all for legalizing it.

2. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus Constantly Around :D

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    ^wait, can I see some citation for said research? x3 because I'd always heard it differently, and those before/after lung pictures weren't exactly helpful to my view of inhaling anything besides air.

3. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

I don't know where you're getting your information but you are wrong on all accounts.

Marijuana smoke contains substantially more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than tobacco smoke, it is addictive, and there is a link between using marijuana and moving on to "harder" more destructive drugs. And I ask you, when was the last time you witnessed someone who uses marijuana on a daily basis actually doing something with their life?

And btw, I'm a Liberal.

4. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    ^that's what I heard.

5. Blackness

Blackness Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    That's because THC is anticarcinogenic, sparrow, so the effects cancel each other out. The only real danger of weed, like most psychoactives, is mental illness in susceptible people. And lack of motivation yeah, but that's the problem of the individual, not the drug. I have actually met some quite successful people on weed and some harder drugs. You'd be surprised how many "normal" people you see every day are using drugs recreationally. Not drugs like heroin, granted, but many "schedule I" drugs. Of course it's addictive, it causes pleasant feelings. So does drinking, smoking (nicotine is one of the most addictive substances known to man) and over eating. But they're not illegal, are they?

http://scienceblog.com/18538/thc-cuts-lung-cancer-growth-spread/
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/04/090401181217.htm

Your argument that marijuana leads to harder drugs is(are?) a logical error, called post hoc ergo propter hoc, and slippery slope. Just cause there is a correlation between marijuana users and people who use harder drugs, it is in no way logically connected. You can use the same connection for tobacco and alcohol, or coffee.
    It's the reasons behind drug use that make some people go further, and this is what should be worked on. Not penalization, that's ridiculous and it's clearly evident by the horrendous fail that the "war on drugs" is. Billions of dollars lost, hundreds of thousands of people imprisoned, and drug use everywhere is still rising. Quite clear that it's a failure.

Now for my main argument, the damage drugs do to people is NOT society's problem, nor of the legal system. In a "free" society, any member has the right to damage themselves if they choose to. If you take that freedom from them, if you don't allow them to learn from their mistakes, than any talk of "freedom" is a hypocritical lie.
    What the government should do is legalize ALL drugs, have a monopoly on their production (producing "clean" drugs) and selling, hit a pretty big tax on it, and sell it to people, while keeping track of what and how much is sold to every individual. Afterwards, if they get health issues from drug use, they will have to pay for it themselves. This goes for tobacco and alcohol as well. This way the entire multi-billion black market will cease to exist, the overcrowded prison system would get a huge relief, and the government would get a rather fine boost to its budget. Then divert a part of this tax to educating people about drugs, REAL education, not idiotic anti-drug propaganda. Like "heroin will make holes in your brain". No, heroin may cause cardiovascular damage when using needles, and there's a very high probability that you will overdose eventually and die, but it doesn't cause brain damage, like most other opiates don't.

Drugs have been used by humans since the dawn of civilization. Drugs have been legal and used extensively in Athens, the home of democracy and perhaps even philosophy. And completely illegal in Sparta. They have been used everywhere in the world but have become widely illegal only in the last century, followed by a brainwashing, which makes people yell "OMG DRUGS ARE BADDDD; YOU SHOULD STOP OR YOULL DIEE!1!!1"
    Also a couple of useful links, so I don't look as if I'm making it all up.

http://io9.com/5876304/10-scientific-and-technological-visionaries-who-experimented-with-drugs
    http://www.viennadeclaration.com/the-declaration/ "drug policy should be based on evidence, not ideology"

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,2004887,00.html Ecstasy Shows Promise in Relieving PTSD
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/05/120530100247.htm Ketamine Improved Bipolar Depression Within Minutes, Study Suggests
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17297714 LSD 'helps alcoholics to give up drinking'
    http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/09/06/magic.mushrooms.ease.anxiety/index.html 'Magic mushrooms' ingredient may ease end-of-life anxiety

So why isn't there more research done on them? Perhaps because people are blinded by the "evil" drugs so they fail to see the multitude of ways these "drugs" could help mankind? Because it's easier to blame an inanimate substance for all the evils of the world, instead of men? Because it's not in the interest of pharmaceutical companies to create cheap drugs which in low doses have long term effects? There are many possible reasons, probably more than one is true, if not all.
    These drugs actually have many many different positive health effects, when used properly and responsibly, you can look them up yourself if you need more proof. Especially marijuana.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  6. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    So inhaling marijuana smoke doesn't do damage to lungs and teeth? I thought inhaling smoke from anything was generally bad.

7. Blackness

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    It does damage, but it doesn't cause cancer. Hence, it is far less dangerous than tobacco. And yes, smoking anything is discouraged. You can make weed cocoa if you wish, no damage there lol.

8. olivia_the_lamb

olivia_the_lamb Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    You can make weed food too :p

I actually know several people that smoke pot on a daily basis, even 2-3 times a day that have full time jobs, their own houses, families, etc. I agree that for some people (like one of my exes) smoking marijuana, especially in copious amounts, leads to them not doing anything at all with their lives. But I can't say it's like that for everyone, especially after having known many people who do smoke it daily that do have good and fulfilling lives.

I've smoked marijuana since I was about 15 years old and never once been tempted to do harder drugs. I've never been a daily smoker either. It's just something I enjoy doing once every blue moon. Even being around people who do smoke every day has no effect on how often I want to do it.

I'm all for legalizing marijuana. I see no harm in it as long as there are laws against smoking/drinking/eating marijuana and driving. And I think that legally you shouldn't be allowed to do it unless you're 18, but I also think the drinking age should be 18.

A documentary I watched once a few years ago in my biology plant covered the use of marijuana before and after it was made illegal. It was used by miners etc to ease the pains that they suffered from their taxing work days. I also am aware that medicinal marijuana decreases some of the pains caused by cancer treatments, and helps the users regain their appetites due to those same treatments. I also know a few people that use marijuana strictly to sleep at night. Not to mention I have a friend whose dad used medicinal marijuana to aid with the pains he suffered from multiple sclerosis before he died.

All that being said, I clearly see marijuana as a good thing, but just as with any good thing, too much of it can be a bad thing.

9. Anrisa Ryn

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I was unsure about the "gateway drug" aspect of it. Thank you for making that clear. :)
    But yes, I know that pot itself doesn't do near as much harm as tobacco does.

10. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    so, IF it's legalized the least harmful form would be food based, I take it? Drinking probably isn't good for liver and kidney, injection is bad for obvious reasons, and smoking damages lungs.

11. olivia_the_lamb

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    I don't know for a fact, but I'd imagine so. I've never done marijuana in any way other than smoking it though. I did do it through a vaporizer once, which was pretty cool and eliminates most of the bad things for your lungs.

12. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    is it more expensive to use a vaporizer? is that why smoking is the most popular/common form?

13. Blackness

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, quality vaporizers can get quite expensive. Eating doesn't damage the body, but proper dosing is more difficult, and the effects longer.

14. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I don't really know if other drugs should be legal. I think there should be limits. Like maybe allow them to be legal for medical purposes but not just recreational purposes.

15. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    I see. Maybe if they mass produced vaporizers it would be safer and decrease respiratory problems if/when they legalize stuff?

16. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

People use drugs to get to sleep, to be more alert, to feel good, to calm down, to feel less anxious, etc... these are all things you can, and should do without the aid of drugs. Drugs are just an easy out.

17. Anrisa Ryn

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Because of the Christian right trying to eliminate "all sin" in the world, which includes using pot, being gay, and abortions. :p

18. Beldaran

Beldaran Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

i'm definitely for legalisiation.. well it's already admitted in holland.. but still.. i don't agree with you on one point: it's definitely addictive!! my step-brother was so addicted to it! When you smoke it every day you'll eventually get addicted to it.. although it takes a long time. I know some other people too who are addicted to it. But i'm okay with people using it in small doses as medicine. My mom has a friend from london who also lives in holland and he uses it a lot against his pain.. it works very well.

19. Beldaran

Beldaran Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

also, now the government has introduced that "wietpas" in the south of holland, lots of illegal things take place.. that's definitely not good! in a few weeks a lot of people immediately saw the disadvantages of making buying drugs by tourists illegal..please let them make it okay again..

when it is sold in shops.. the police can regulate it a lot. No creepy folks on the street selling crappy shit that's not even good stuff..

20. olivia_the_lamb

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    I can agree that it is addictive to a certain degree, but there comes a point where you think you need it, but your body doesn't. So it's more of a mental addiction than a physical addiction. It's not like crack or cocaine or even alcohol for alcoholics where your body is dependent on it.

Search tags for this page

joyness of marijuana

will legal pot make other drugs legal