Should Greece be excluded from EU?

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by anonymous, Mar 7, 2010.

1. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    Remember there's free movement within the EU so if Greece becomes unbearable go walkabouts ~ I'd suggest France & Germany as they're so keen to help out their Greek partners. You can be sure if tax rates go too high that's exactly what business will do.

2. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Germans and the French have the reputation of being the biggest sovinists in Europe,at least here in Greece.A lot of people here complain that if you go to Germany or France(and mostly to Germany)many of locals refuse to talk in english.
    Oh man,if you were in Greece today you would have had a headache because there's breaking news every 15 mins on TV here since last morning.

3. Lady Cyllíeth

Lady Cyllíeth WillExplodeUnderPressure

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Many Germans simply don't speak English. They learned it in school, never needed it in their everyday life and forgot most of it. English-speaking Germans are usually university graduates (only 10 % of Germany's population!) or belong to the younger generation. It's not refusal if people don't know the language (and it's culture-bound that people say they don't want to do things because they could embarrass themselves).
    If you want to make fun of that fact, go ahead.

4. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    I've heard many times in my life that in France and Germany people will refuse to talk to you in english even if they do know english...

5. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    I've heard about French people often refusing to speak English, because the French are still trying to keep their language as pure as possible. (You can simply google the Académie française to find more about this.) But so far I've never experienced that any German has refused to speak English whenever it was necessary. Why would we learn English and then refuse to use it? Whenever Germans don't speak English it's because they can't, simple as that. I have a couple of fellow students as well as lecturers who live in Germany but don't speak German and I've never heard them complain about stubborn Germans who don't want to speak English.
    Anyway, I guess we're off topic. You should really stop hating the Germans, my dear Greek fellow. Not all of us are evil. :p

6. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    I don't know,I'm not attacking anyone here,don't get offended I'm just telling you stuff that we hear,nothing more.It's annoying that Germans dub everything and that French can act like sovinists when it comes to their language...let's bridge our differences,let's come together.Me and you mon cheri,aaah oui,ja ist gut.You know what I mean,si?

7. ~Elladan~

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    Interesting article on Cannes/Eurozone problems...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15590165

I think the bottom line is 17 democracies are playing at having a common currency, collectively have the resources to make it work but don't have the public mandate or willingness to fully commit. Instead they expect the wider global economy to prop up the euro, cover for it's weaknesses and to take some of the risk so that the 17 can pretend everything is rosey in euro-land whilst sticking to their individual national agenda / priorities. I think the 17 need to decide whether they really want the currency and if they do, act like it.

& follow-up article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15597442

G20 basically tells Eurozone to sort it's own problems as the Eurozone has got the combined resources to do so. Should be interesting, how far do they go to shore up their currency and can they carry their parliaments/electorates with them? It's possible to come out the other side with a strong currency union with new rules, common taxes & pooled debt if national interests were set aside but I just can't see it. Take Ireland's corporation tax rate as a single example, would they set that aside (take one for team eurozone) for a eurozone rate and risk inward investments and Irish jobs?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  8. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Hehehe..Liana Kanelli saying it to the British news :p

She's actually good.

9. Anduil

Anduil New Member

Mekta land of dreams! you can find me in Pireaus
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    She is one of the few good politicians that remained in this country.... (although i don't like her party) Communism failed before

10. Anduil

Anduil New Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Yes actually G20 ask Europe to deal with eurozone problems and European leaders refuse to find a solution for 2 years now... I m wondering why... o yes there is a why... Cause leaders are taking orders to keep this situation... ( its my hamble opinion)

11. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Haha yes Liana Kanelli is one of the few good politicians in Greece and probably the only Communist politicians that I like apart of Zouraris.Zouraris kicks ass too!
    I've seen them both walking downtown Thessaloniki once,talking.They passed near me on the street.
    You're right man,foreigners want us to be like that and their goons here obey their demands.Have Greece enslaved through financial problems.

12. ~Elladan~

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    I don't think anyone cares about Greece now, it's yesterday's news so don't take it personally (!), there's a bigger problem ~ Italy.

Italian debt cost rose above 7% (8% at one point) today which makes it totally unsustainable for them to roll their debt. Berlusconi's demise hasn't made a jot of difference nor should it to be honest. The problem isn't with the elected leaders who have fallen by the wayside in Greece, Portugal, Ireland, Spain & now Italy as they could always be removed in a democracy either by elections or a confdence vote. The common denominator is the euro, a miserable excuse for a currency given its flaws and the eurocrats who designed it. How many of those idiots have fallen on their swords/lost their cushy jobs ~ zero?

What has the eurozone's response been to todays Italian bond rates.... deafening silence. Italy is going to need a mega-bailout and there's no (little) money left in the pot. The trillion euro fund doesn't exist, the G20 have little interest in risking their own money when the eurozone isn't putting their money in first to save their currency. Where is the eurozone's leadership and overwhelming response?

Italy: Nearer the precipice ~ http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15652668

Is the euro about to capsize? ~ http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15592197

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  13. Anduil

Anduil New Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    So we are coming at my words! That problem is that Europe 2 years now do nothing about the crisis... Put some messures in Greece that killed the folk and now Italy meets Greece to the abyss. I m wondering when Germany will understand that help and not loans must be given to those who are in need....

14. ~Elladan~

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    Still no sign of any market-calming statement from the eurozone. Makes me laugh that France views itself as one of the key players when it will be next on the list if Italy needs a bailout as their banks have a c200bn exposure to Italian bonds, double that of German, twenty times of UK.

Italian bond yields have fallen from yesterdays high but still 7%, French have risen.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  15. ~Elladan~

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    This was quite an interesting article ~

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/15676704

Bottom line is that it would hurt Germany as much if not more to have a strong currency with fewer eurozone countries, because of the impact on exports, as it would be for them to bail out weaker partners or accept higher inflation if the ECB was able to print money.

16. ~Elladan~

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
  17. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Don't trust him,but I am happy that 4 guys from the party I vote for take part in the new government!

18. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
  19. Anduil

Anduil New Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

The person that wrote that article has no knowledge in ancient history.
    Used the example of Europe and Zeus as a rape.... this is terrible... you see that is not what happend. Remind me those Hollywood movies that trying to show ancient greek life.(troy,300, great alexander) all movies were historically inacurate. And i m still wondering what kind of history did people learn in western countries....

As for the Athenian Empire... its wrong to call it that way... best word is Athenian alliance or dominion in sea trade. As for Athens anyway they were proud about their silver coins while Greeks are not proud of euro...

And something terrible that i read in this article and i m quite angry and there is evidence to what i always tell to western guys in this forum... YOU ARE MISSINFORMED.... STOP READING BBC...

Article says : The kings of Lydia in modern Turkey, who minted the first metal money about 600BC

NO NO NO
    Aegina Chelone coins which were minted 700BC by Pheidon king of Argos are the first coins that human created.... The type of metal is electrum.

And for those who want to see the first metal coin of the world must go to Paris in Bibliothèque Nationale there is one unique coin of that period...

20. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Well. As they say, pride comes before the fall.

National pride comes for the national fall :p

I also think that Brussels should be taken as the new Athens in this particular story, in which case the story makes more sense.

I'm not turning this article into a discussion. Go complain with the Beeb.