Should Greece be excluded from EU?

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by anonymous, Mar 7, 2010.

1. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    ^ Anduil I think you need to check some of your figures/sources ~ at last count there was less than a million unemployed in Greece so how can 2m have lost their jobs? No-one doubts that Greeks have had a very bad time although you need to look closer to home when it comes to the debt mountain ~ no-one forced loans on Greece or squandered the money that was borrowed.

It's interesting the Eurozone leaders are now saying this is an in or out decision given that there is no mechanism for a member to leave. That in itself will undermine confidence in the euro currency if members can bail when the going gets tough or can be thrown out.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  2. Anduil

Anduil New Member

Mekta land of dreams! you can find me in Pireaus
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    its 2.000.000 people without a job. The official is 1 milion but the truth is 2 million. Sevi or Foinikas will tell you the same number. Its an organization OAED that counts the unemployed. They gave the 1.200.000 number last month. But the real number is 2.000.000 i m not exaggurating.

3. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Elladan he's right.Unemployment exceeds official numbers,the problem is not just unemployment,it's also the cut of many social security organisations,extra money paid to various common people for various reasons that actually helped these people survive and the cut of big sums of money from salaries and pensions even 400 euro or more for example.

4. ~Elladan~

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    So you're saying roughly 2 in 5 people (2m is 39% unemployed) of working age in Greece are out of work? If that is the case why haven't you toppled your government, why are you sitting on bulletin boards posting? That sort of level is worse than the arab nations who have thrown out their dictators! You should all down tools, forget about the euro as it's not bringing you any benefits and find some honest, competent Greeks to form an apolitical unity government to rebuild from scratch!

It looks likely that you're not going to get your referendum after all... all signs are that Papandreou will lose confidence vote tomorrow and early elections will be called. You get to choose another set of muppets or better yet, if you're serious about wanting change, boycott the main parties who got you into this mess.

5. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Tell that to the Pasok voters who nag about the economic crisis but still hold their party high when election time comes.Same with many,yes not all,but many of the New Democracy voters.They simply can't find anyone else better to vote in their minds although we have a large variety of parties.

6. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

But it's not only the Greek politicians that are to blame, it's everyone that is to blame.

Nobody in Greece has been paying their fair share of the tax burden for two decades and more. It's an entire country living in a fantasy world where you're entitled to benefits you have neither earned or paid for. And now there's talk of bringing back the drachma and going it alone?.. what was it that Marie Antoinette was rumored to of said... 'let them eat baklava'.

7. ~Elladan~

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    ^ True but governments are supposed to govern, the lead comes from the top. Reality has caught up but acceptance hasn't. Many countries are themselves still living in fantasyland ~ the UK & US amongst them with trillions of $s being rolled up year after year rather than correct levels of spending and taxation paid to keep economy balanced. Given the choice of high debt austerity for 10yrs+ with little chance of growth or severe austerity now but recovery in your hands... which will the Greeks go for?

8. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

Oh I agree completely.

You should here some of my fellow Americans... they bitch endlessly about the government but couldn't name their representatives in Congress if their life depended on it. They don't even understand the mechanisms of government or have ever read the Constitution. No, we all accept the government we deserve. Americans thought they could bankroll the most insanely expensive and obscenely large military in the world, spend two trillion dollars invading two shithole countries, and do it while lowering taxes at home. Surprise, we're 14 trillion with a 't' in debt.

You can only kick the can down the road for so long.

9. Anduil

Anduil New Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I m afraid you do not know what you are talking about. By using the word nobody you include me as well. I payed everything so far... not only me but many Greeks. There are some people that i already told their jobs that didn't payed. You see you know what is your problem people... You are missinformed. By watching BBC or CNN to learn the news... you learn only the one side of the coin... Papandreou called Greek people lazy while he hadn't worked in his life... His words are taken by BBC and spread in global news. That means that his words are true???? Greek people work more hours in whole Europe by STATISTICS.... they paid their taxes. Those that didn't pay a coin are the lawyers the politicians and the doctors... There is an amount of money in Swiss that need to be taxed... Those money are missing... What's more Baklava is turkish sweet not greek... you don't know that....

Don't pretend that you know everything sparrow you know nothing...

And yes Drachma is the solution. No more loans to pay and no more orders from Brussels... You see Greeks don't obey in your orders you must accept it. Cause freedom born in this ****ing country by blood not money.

10. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    All true,I agree with Anduil.Although I don't know if drachmas would help us now if we got out of the Eurozone.And the people are not to blame,because it's the politicians who change their programs all the time,they say one thing today and tomorrow they do something else.They are not predictable,save for one thing:They cannot manage the country correctly.The only one who managed the country correctly,to be honest,was Papadopoulos in 1967-1973.That's a fact.All the others who ruled from 1974-2011 destroyed the country little by little and rapidly from 1995 to 2011.

11. ~Elladan~

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    When it comes down to it, whether in elections or a referendum you'll re-elect one of the main two parties who have got Greece to this position or vote to stay in Euro, isn't that the sad reality? Has anyone stood up to lead the protests or presented another (realistic) vision for the future? I'm afraid the Greeks haven't the will to go it alone, they'll jump to the Eurozone's tune.

12. ~Elladan~

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    nm ~ duplicated post

13. ~Elladan~

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    Rumours that Papandreou is to to resign? Confusion reigns.

EC has told Greece that if they exit euro they'll be thrown out of the EU too. That's european democracy for you.

14. ~Elladan~

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    Now talk of a transitional government to make sure EC bailout goes through (presumably no referendum then)... elections later after the deal is done and Greeks have been put in their place.

My advice to Greeks.... emigrate.

15. Anduil

Anduil New Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Democracy = what people want. And people want to live... not to suicide cause of dept...

16. Anduil

Anduil New Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    We don't know... They telling many things in TV... Too much info. Don't know yet what its true.

17. ~Elladan~

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    Referendum scrapped... yep it's going to be case of take your medicine, you have no say on it.

Disgraceful.

18. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Bring the king back.He might have a solution.

19. Anduil

Anduil New Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Long Live the King!!! hahahahaha! its funny to think of it!

20. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Actually I read that Father Paisios had said many years ago(well he died in 1994 if I remember correctly)that a time would come when the people would get so sick of the two ruling parties,that they will reach the point to ask for the king to come back and he will not refuse this request.