Should Churches start paying taxes?

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by anonymous, Apr 10, 2013.

1. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    Today me and on of my friends went on a huge discussion of should churches should start paying taxes. I know that historically church has been institution apart form country - there for it does not receive any social taxes that citizens pay, and countries does not pay church any money so far.

But my argument is following, how come when I donate to hospitals/poor people etc, I do have to pay (33% tax - in my country) from the sum of the donation to the country, but when I donate ( which I dont, but for the sake of example consider that I do) to the church get full sum of my donations. I believe that because it`s economic crisis all over the world, and lets be honest church is`nt really poor..so why we should not gain extra money? And why should donation to the church is superior to the basic need of human - like medical supplies, clothes, foods and so on and on..and when I decide to "gift" to the God, full sum.

So what do you think on this subject?

2. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    I think the core of this in most modern western nations that are no longer heavily controlled or influenced at a political level by religion (at least in the direct running of the country fashion) is going to hinge very much upon what the money given to the church is used for.

Religion has always been a creature of many parts and often much of the critisms and critical views of it are targeted often at the upper levels of its power and organisational structure rather than at the local level. Indeed at the local level many a church organises fund raising events which either go toward local restoration of the churches properties (normally fixing the roof or something) or are donated to various charity events or other causes outside of the church or as part of the churches own initiatives.

In the UK many charities often operate with relaxed tax laws as well and as such the church can make a claim that it too is acting very much akin to a charity in how it distributes the finances it gets.

That said there is clearly some manner of funnelling funds from the bottom and into the upper reaches of the church that gives most its power structure (and indeed it is something many have tapped into - Sciencetology is often stated to be just a pyramid scheme that is allowed to run just because it is listed as a religion). I would argue that the church could retain its freedom of taxation laws, but that it would have to prove its status as a charity and non-profit organisation very strongly and that failure to do so could spark it having its tax exemption status removed.

The other factor is political. Many people still consider the church to be sacred and the idea of it being "dirtied" by political activities such as taxation could spark quite a backlash in some communities. It's something that likely keeps the matter from being raised high enough in politics. Although the UK does have a history of already stripping the rich religious institutions of their riches (King Henry VIII) - so it is an action not without precedent

3. Lajvarporr

Lajvarporr New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If Jesus lived today he would be a communist and throw those Golden Calf-believing American churches in the lake of fire!!!

4. mtlhabs

mtlhabs SIRE

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    They should be paying their fair share.

5. Mad hatter

Mad hatter Old member, New account

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +233 / 4 / -0
    Yes. A rule should not have exceptions. McDonalds pays taxes, Microsoft pay taxes, why should a place of congregation be any different?

6. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Ranger of Shadow

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    I believe they should. but hey, I doubt any country out there will start taxing the church, doesn't matter which one is the largest in said country.

7. GrimWarlock

GrimWarlock Daemon Prince of Tzeentch

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -0
    The church simply needs to be reworked. Things that don't change - they eventualy just become obsolete, and metaphorically rot away from our civilization.

8. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    Over here they should first of all stop receiving taxes. I opted out a couple of months ago so that my taxes wouldn't go to the Catholic church, because I think they should atart practicing what they preach, one part of this being humility!
    And given the fact that in some countries pretty much everyone can start a religion (thinking about L. Ron Hubbard here) I think churches should definitely start paying taxes. Because making money tax free shouldn't be the motivation for founding a religion, and as this is certainly not every religions main purpose I'd say paying taxes shouldn't keep anyone from practicing what they believe. :p

Does anyone know if the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is tax free as well? :D

9. Dreamscaper

Dreamscaper Royal Hamster Wrangler

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    Considering its what they're supposed to be doing they should be catagorized with non-profits and take it from there. Your gov taxes 33% on charity? o_O Hot dang.

10. GrimWarlock

GrimWarlock Daemon Prince of Tzeentch

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -0
    Well, the worship of the daemon god Tzeentch appears to not be taxed. I do not seem to remember being asked to pay a "Chaos Sorcery Tax" or something like that, although that may be because our "cult and religon" officialy do not exist(Just as planned). Joining is also free, and you may quit at any time, we don't pray - we scheme and seek for ways to gain more knowledge and power. In case you're not into chaos worship, I think they freed up a few places in the Lovecraftian mythos, they got pretty cool cults there, and Cthulhu which is also quite awesome.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014