Should authors be judged for their works or beliefs?

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by azuren82, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Umm, are you forgetting Saruman the White? Incredibly charismatic, powerful, intelligent and evil? And the one who created the Uruk-Hai. Eugenics anyone?

2. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Yeah and he's about the only one, but he's the mastermind isn't he. So it's a 'white' mastermind behind it all. Except for Sauron, but yeah they had to give him an ugly nose didn't they lol

3. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Actually sauron was usually depicted as being handsome and beautiful in an elvish fashion and used that to fool others, they were going to put that in the film in the draft where he returned in ROTK at the final battle but didnt use it in the end.

4. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Well he was still the only white mastermand lol. I'm not saying he should have been black or any other colour. I dunno. Maybe they should just have attempted to have more variety at the heroes side to equel it out. I know you have different races, but you don't have different genders or skin colours in the fellowship. The only thing that proves Tolkien is not sexist is the small part Eowyn plays in the ROTK.

5. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Well its using typical medeival basis for the setting which had the subdued female role, though eowyns part does try to counteract that, I can see criticism in the small number of female characters, though those in it are quite important, its not enough to call sexism for me.

The same medieval basis arguement can be used partially for the race thing too, since in earlier civilisations there is much less social migration in one region, so there a lesser chance of encountering other races, and remember skin colour is dependent on climate and pretty much all of middle earth is temperate or colder.

6. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    I don't know but don't wood elves have dark skin. I'm not sure though in what climates they live though. (Or is it Dark Elves). The women are imo a bit surpressed. That was a bit changed in the movie. Cause you can see that Arwen is more important in the movie compared to the book imo. Cause I do remember she wasn't the one saving Frodo when he was poisoned. Galadriel was wise and beautiful, but she was also more of an extra it seems. I dunno maybe Lego should have been female... He's already feminine enough lol

7. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Well wood elves would be under tree canopies so theyd get less/diffused light, and still the forests in ME are temperate so pale is likely (especially mirkwood, which is pretty dingy).

The women are supressed, though I counted that with medieval basis, though its common these days in fnatasy for authors to adapt historical settings to their own liking, Tolkien was one of the first so history was probably the only basis he had to go on.

Galadriel was quite prominent, and pretty much outshines celeborn in book and film, she is a major character in ME though not in the books/films either way tolkien improved on the medieval basis for womens roles but he could have done better, like I said before its not great but I don't think it counts as sexism.

EDIT: for entertainment value and to cool down the topic a bit:

8. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Well don't worry Cru, we're just debating. I know it got heated sometimes, but I don't care if he was racist or sexist or whatever. If you like his work, that's fine. I don't expect you to like SW as much as I do, so why would I think you expect me to like LOTR as much as you do.... Anyway like I said best thing was maybe to make Lego female. Since the women are wise as Elves, I think it could have been believable that Legola would be good with a bow too. I think one female in the fellowship could have made a lot of difference, question is would it have bothered you much?

9. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Wouldnt have bothered me in the slightests.

10. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    Perhaps black & lesbian too so you can tick all the boxes :rolleyes:

11. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Make her butch aswell, just so all the good people aren't "good looking".

12. Unraveller

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/20080909/ten-lloyd-webber-people-are-too-pc-ea4616c.html
    To those of you who posted about LotR, would you prefer it had never been written?

13. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Well no, I just think minor changes could have been made even without changing the story

14. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    This article was quite interesting, about Enid Blyton who's sold over 400 million children books and was accused, probably quite rightly!, of racism & sexism.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7591648.stm

It's interesting that sexism was by a woman against women (well girls) and again reflects society at that time. The books are being edited to be politically correct but should they be? I read all the Famous 5 and Adventure series (unedited) when I was young :)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  15. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    For me to edit them now, for current circumstances, whether political, religous reasons, would still be cultural damage, so I'm not for that.

16. Unraveller

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    They removed the Goliwog from Noddy and changed Big Ears' name. In Thomas the Tank Engine the Fat Controller is now called something like 'Mr Top Hat'.

17. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Well other things we also unnecessary. I mean talking about a movie, they removed the WTC towers in a cool spider-man scene because of 9/11. I mean maybe it was wise to put it out the movie because the wounds were still fresh, but they could have easily put it back on the dvd or something

18. Brightstar

Brightstar Fantasy Maker

In the world of stories, as often as possible.
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ...Almost exactly right.

To refuse to read a book because you disagree with the author's beliefs may not be a good idea. ...Nor is it proper to approve of an author's lifestyle based on his writings.

...Books should be judged based on their contents. Authors should be judged based on their actions.

19. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    I will read a book that is good no matter who wrote it, same with any type of media be it film or television or games. One of my friends favourite movies is Nazi Propaganda from the late 30's. He doesn't respect Hitlers views on most things, but he does highly respect the quality film-making used in the film.

Authors themselves should be judged on their morals and beliefs, but their novels should only be judged on how entertaining they are.

20. Skypirate

Skypirate Dux Helvetica

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ^^ This ^^