Short story contest: Rating your stories

Discussion in 'Original Works' started by Firiath, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    This is where I'll explain our (Beldaran's and mine) rating system for the short story contest - and this is also where we'll post our results as soon as we've read everything.

By now we all know judging will begin October 21st. Due to RL keeping us busy we'll need at least a month to read your stories, so you can expect the final results around the end of November.

We will take closer looks on:
    - The originality of the magic system and how well it's integrated into the plot.
    - The depth of the story, or simply how intriguing story and/or end is/are.
    - Character depth: Although these are just short stories we think the limit of 5000 words will give you enough space for character depth. Or, well, they should at least be believable. >_>
    - Writing style: As S.J. mentioned in the original thread we're not to judge grammar and spelling errors, but if the differences considering English skills aren't that big between the contestants we'll also include the use of language; rhetorical figures and all that.

For each aspect you can get up to 10 points. Bel and I will first rate your stories separately, then compare and discuss our results until we've come to an agreement. Depending on how much time we have left we'll write more or less detailed commentaries on what we liked and what didn't work out as well for each of the contestants.

2. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    *drags thread along by the ear*
    That's better :)

3. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    *kicks story thread back to revive it*

4. Beldaran

Beldaran Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    and who's the winnneeerrrrrrr :D

5. Firiath

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    And the winner is...

Go read the rest of my post!
    :p

And here are our results. :D As you know we rated your stories' magic systems, “depth”, the characters and also the writing style – for each category you could get up to 10 points, so the absolute maximum you could reach is 40 points (obviously).

Druid of Lhûn: 15/40
    The story in itself was rather short, so there wasn’t much space for character development or a further description/explanation of the „magic system“ behind the fog (if there was any, that is). The writing style definitely deserves a couple of points, as I found the beginning of the story rather intriguing. I liked the moral behind those that come in the fog and aid their comrades, but as the story – as mentioned above – was short and therefore also rather simple, I wished for further explanations as soon as I had reached the end – all in all, the story lacked a bit in depth.

JNK: 20/40
    A great approach of a magic system related to alcohol. We both liked the scientific sound (– the only problem is that it made me wish for further explanation :p).
    The story started with some action, with the background being explained afterwards, so the structure was quite good. I only felt the story lacked some character depth, as there was so much action going on. Although Jerir’s background and intentions were explained, they seemed a little bit stereotypical.

Turambar: 31/40
    When I read that the title was “No Beer” I expected something entirely different. However, I really liked what I read - we both did. The introduction of Jonathan was rather long in relation to the entire story, but still, the actual story was very intriguing and I liked the “magic” behind history, and what I felt was a personification of history (that could be tricked and fooled like a human being).

S.J.: 33/40
    Right at the beginning, when I saw the word “Strength” written with a capital letter, I thought I saw a hint towards the magic system used, so my interest was aroused right away. The concept of magic ingredients used for chewing gums (instead of potions, for example) is really awesome. The characters’ quest “chain” felt a bit redundant at first – until I read the story’s ending, which I hadn’t seen coming but was a great resolution of the mystery around the list that was mentioned at the beginning. And looking at your writing style, S.J., we could definitely tell you're a writer. ;)

Greybeard: 35/40
    Greybeard actually managed to write a convincing fantasy story with a magic system based on beer. The opening was great – if I hadn’t known about this beer-related kind of magic beforehand, the “I had no beer” probably would have made me fall off my chair. “How many did he think he needed to kill a beerless man?” Awesome. We both enjoyed the writing style and also found the entire plot (just as the character development) very exciting and well done.

Well then, congratulations, Greybeard, and thanks to all of you for delivering such great stories!

6. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    <Blush>

7. Firiath

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    Thank you, Greybeard, for this wonderful acceptance speech! :D

8. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Awesome job everybody and congrats to Greybeard! I'm going to have to get your victory banner to you...lol.
    Thanks everybody for participating and great thanks to Bel and Firiath for judging our entries :)
    This was fun!
    Anybody wanna do another one next year? :D

9. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    nope

10. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Hey Grats, Grey! I enjoyed reading your story - and I suppose I can stand losing to you :D

And good to hear you liked it. You know, it really was a rush job to finish the story, and I had really no time to clean it up. I think I had like half an hour until the dead line when I finished the actual story. Really frustrating. But, again, thanks for the compliments :)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  11. Beldaran

Beldaran Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    if there is going to be another one next year, i very much would like to volunteer to rating the stories again :). but i hope i'm still welcome because of my delay of a few weeks this contest:(.

and greybeard how awesome your prize as avvy :D

12. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Yes. September would be good.

13. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Yay! Another contest next year and of course you're welcome Bel! I'll post a recruitment thread in August again and we'll see who signs up. Hopefully next year it will be bigger and better, especially considering that we have so many new writers and aspiring authors joining TFF these days. Maybe some of our excellent "RPGers" will join in too? If we get more entrants next year, maybe we could even make a little book of our stories as a memento of the contest if anyone's interested. It isn't hard and there's no cost involved to anyone unless they actually want to buy one of the books.

14. crowwizard

crowwizard New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow this sounds really fun. I joined TFF recently(the last day of the year) so i didn't have time to enter the contest. I am definitely going to sign up for this one.

15. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Awesome! Better stick around then ;)

16. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    SJ, the banner arrived yesterday, and looks cheesy as advertized. Thank you.

17. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    You're welcome! *laughs* And you're saying "thank you" because......?

18. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    You got my address right? You sent it by Canada Post instead of Ogre Post?

You went to the trouble of sewing the silly thing. If I'd had to make the award it would have spelled out "D'uh" in bottlecaps.

19. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Duly noted for next year's prize :D
    (lmao BTW)

20. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    I approve of the marks, although I thought that it was quite obvious that the fog was the magic.

As to the length, I didn't really want it to be any longer, and I also had a lot of school work (it was written in one sitting, edited once).