Sharing Beds

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crouton, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    For those of you who are married/have a partner did you ever get annoyed when you first had to start sharing a bed with someone else? And for those of you who are single how do you go when you have to share a bed with friends etc?

I usually always sleep by myself, which is what I'm used to. Lately however I have a friend who stays at my house once a week, and sleeps in my bed with me since he hates the couch. I'm honestly starting to dread that night everyweek. He manages to sweat through EVERYTHING so I have to wash all my bed linen again, he elbowed me in the face three times last night in his sleep, he talks in his sleep and also manages to take up most of the room. I end up spending most of the night awake, hanging half off the bed and trying to avoid falling off. Now I have a sore back. I just don't get how people share beds. I guess if it was a bigger bed it could be okay. I only have a double sized bed. Which is supposed to be enough for 2 people but I don't quite buy that now.

2. Taliesyn

Taliesyn It's a feral reality out there, kids.

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    I would be so weirded out sharing a bed with anyone other than my wife... and would feel that way even if I weren't married. They could be the most delicious, juiciest, desirable woman on the planet and I'd feel weird. It just seems so... well, intimate to be sharing bed space with someone unless we were already wife and husband. Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm the weird one.

As for our sleeping arrangements, it's quite lovely and harmonious. However, there have been about three occasions in our fifteen years of marriage where I've pummeled poor wifey in her sleep. I'd had bad dreams where I was fighting off attackers of some kind, and woke up to her screaming, "YOU HIT ME!" It's amazing how well I could hear that with my hearing aid out. We can laugh about it now but poor wifey was a bit fearful and bruised, and I was inconsolable for being a wife basher (it didn't matter that it was an accident). She's so much tinier than I so you can imagine how much of a monster I felt.

Normally though, we occupy the same bed no problems. Although she does tend to take up a ton of room for such a small creature...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  3. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    See I've shared beds heaps of times with my sister, and various friends when I've stayed over at their houses or they have been at mine etc. I just don't usually share a bed with a guy instead of a girl. I think that might be what's most weird for me. I didn't think it would be much different but he's like a rock, where as girls are softer. It's harder to push him out of the way so I can get my space back.

4. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    I only had to share my bed when I was studying and friends came to visit me.I had a small folded bed so no problem when only one friend came to visit but when they were 2 I had to sleep with one in my bed(it was semi-double)and the other one would sleep on the unfolded bed.Anyway,I only shared a bed with a girl as in...after sex,once and well...I let her sleep from the inside,to the wall(you know,so she feels cozy and protected).She told me the other day that she woke up at a point during the night and saw me sleeping and she wanted to grab me and give me a kiss but let me sleep :D She thought I was cute.

When I was a toddler and slept with my parents sometimes my dad would complain about me kicking during sleep.Lol.I do remember one thing...once,I was sleeping and I don't know how or why but I woke up,I opened my eyes right when my hand was landing on my dad's face in a slap.....looool.

5. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Lol Foin! I don't even get how people move so much. I mean I move a little in my sleep, but not to the extent that I can slap and elbow people. My friend elbows me in the face basically every time he's in the same bed as me!

6. Oddrun

Oddrun I speak languages.

Ratings:
    +200 / 1 / -0
    I usually sleep alone and I'm really used to it. What's more, everyting wakes me up - sounds, lights, movement. That's why I always use ear plugs. I only share my bed surface when a boyfriend is staying the night and I have tought time falling and staying asleep then. It just feels very weird not to have so much space, having someone breathing and moving beside you. But I guess you get used to that too. I'm very glad though that my current boyfriend's room is only 10 meters away from mine (we live in the same flat) so that he can go to his bed after we are done with watching movies, talking and, well, having fun in general :p

Also, once I told a guy to go home at 5 am because he was snoring so badly that there was no chance of me falling asleep - and when I can't sleep I get super annoyed. There's no mercy then :D

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  7. olivia_the_lamb

olivia_the_lamb Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    I hate sharing beds with people, but I like it at the same time, if it's my SO. I'm not a very emotional/physically inclined person, so I don't always cuddle. My boyfriend though is a cuddle machine and I'm often out of bed hours before him in the morning because he won't get off of me. Our bed is a queen sized bed and more than big enough for the both of us, but I somehow am usually hanging off my side of the bed because he's literally so close to me that I'm covered in his sweat. Men are gross when they sleep. Not to mention, he humps me in his sleep, which is quite annoying as I'm not a morning person. So my mornings are usually quite aggravating lol. But when I'm falling asleep at night I usually fall asleep with my head on his chest. I hate it though when he decides, in his sleep of course, that it's okay to sleep diagonally -.-

When I was single I enjoyed the bed space, but didn't mind sleeping with my friends. Shared a bed with my gay friend every once in a while, and he's rather hefty so he took up most of the bed. I didn't mind though because I knew I wouldn't wake up with him on top of me lol. I shared a bed with one of my gal pals once a week or more when I stayed over at her dorm. Most the time we fell asleep with my feet at her head and vise versa. Much more dangerous doing that with a guy lol.

8. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    I was annoyed as hell when I started sharing a bed (no offense Anakin :p). Mainly because I'm not into the whole duvet war during the night, though that could be funny. But I solved that by getting a duvet each :D But on top of that, I'm someone who wakes up if a fly sneezes on the other side of the house..... So sharing a bed with another person, especially if they snore *glares at Anakin* was really something I had to get used to. Anakin had no issue at all....... He sleeps through anything. If there was a parade outside with an explosion in the background, he'd sleep right through it.....

• Like Like x 1
  9. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    I hate sleeping alone. I freeze to death and I hate that. Fortunately my husband is very cuddly and he puts out a lot of body heat which suits me fine. :) Noise or movement from him doesn't bother me in the slightest. Sleep deprivation became a way of life once my first baby came long and it quickly became obvious that I had to learn to fall asleep and stay that way when I could or I would die. :D The tiniest squeak from one of the kids and I'm awake in an instant. Other than that: a bomb could go off in my house and I'd never hear it. Selective hearing: you gotta love it! :D

10. olivia_the_lamb

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    I'm assuming "duvet" is some weird foreign word for blanket or pillow :p <3

Also, yeah I'm a light sleeper as well and my boyfriend could sleep through a raging tornado that tore up the house. Even though he likes to pretend like he could keep us safe from an intruder in the middle of the night. They'd be in and out before he stopped snoring long enough to hear them -.-

11. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Yeah a duvet is basically a quilt lol

And LOL! Anakin is just the same. The cast of Predator could show up (including the damn Predator) with guns blazing, and he'd be curled up like a hedgehog enjoying his dreams of joining the Dark Side, or whatever. :p He's the only person I know who has fallen asleep, while upright, leaning against a brick wall as we waited for a bus to arrive. I was like wtf???? Wake up! lol

12. Lord Yuan

Lord Yuan Death-Thousand+

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I don't think duvet is a foreign word.

But yeah, I'll sleep in a chair before I occupy a bed with anybody ever. Family, friends, Ghandi, nope. Pizza hut I don't do.

13. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    I sleep way better on my own, and would choose to do so every night if it wouldn't get me kicked to the doghouse :D

I shared beds with friends after drunken nights out (no shenanigans) when I was younger, not that we had a big group cuddle or anything but I didn't mind being squashed in as it's one of those fun kind of things you do when you're young.

My wife and I cannot stand having our kids in the bed with us, our son has never slept a night with us, and my daughter is 4 and has had less than 6 sleeps with us because she's so annoying. She flips, flops, rolls, fidgets, kicks (and she's the exact length at the moment where if we're sharing a pillow, her feet line up with my balls). Back to your own bed kid!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  14. olivia_the_lamb

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    Billy, my boyfriend, will and can sleep anywhere like this. Standing, sitting, laying. Doesn't effing matter. I hate it. I envy it. Unless I'm absolutely exhausted (and even sometimes then), I have to have the temperature at a perfect sleeping level (usually colder because I can't sleep without a "duvet", and Billy sweats too much for the room to be without a chill), white noise (from the fan I have keep on), and a million other little things.

I was teasing because I actually knew what it was, but out of curiosity I just looked it up. It is indeed foreign.

Same here most nights.

The worst is when he or I don't go to bed at the same time. If I sleep alone, I hate to be touched. I got out of bed much earlier this morning than I intended because I was half off the effing bed. AND he slipped his arm under my pillow, which I hate, so I have a massive kink in my neck and my back hurts. Felt like killing someone this morning. Didn't help that the effing cats were meowing at the bedroom door.

DEATH TO ALL

15. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +327 / 1 / -0
    doesn't bother me, i've used a sack of potatoes as a pillow. can and will sleep anywhere. only thing that wakes me is someone saying my name.
    and yes, i toss and turn, i have terrible fevered nightmares atm so sleeping in my bed is not recommended. it's a case of waking up every morning and washing the linen to remove the stench of illness.

16. Lord Yuan

Lord Yuan Death-Thousand+

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Interesting, I wonder if it is like a lesser known assimilated word similar to ballet or concerto or something.

17. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    In Australia we call it a doona.

18. Stormborn

Stormborn Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    If the person stays on his or hers half of the bed, I'm OK with it. It's like sleeping alone.

But when I sleep alone, I always have small lamp on because I hate waking up in the dark. But if there's someone else in the room I can let the lights be off.

19. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    I lmao at this post :D

:(
    *sends Jim good dreams*

20. carri27

carri27 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    my partner and i do pretty well sleeping together but i'm looking forward to the day we move into a bigger house and can buy a king-sized bed :)

I'm with Mubabban though about kids. Our 4yo son sleeps with us sometimes when he can't sleep or he's sick. i cannot fathom how he always ends up horizontal, leaving us 2 inches each at the edges of the bed.

PS don't know if you situation has changed since you started this thread Crouton, but i'd be telling him it doesn't work for you and it's time to find another bed or he's welcome to your living room floor!