Shadow Storm

Discussion in 'Original Works' started by KnighT, Jul 26, 2009.

1. KnighT

KnighT Dawnbringer

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Alrighty guys, here it is. A very short, unedited piece of work I just finished. I just wrote it tonight, so there are sure to be a few errors, such as misused words and such. (I just use what feels right most of the time). That isn't to say that I don't want you to point them out, though, for it would be very much appreciated! Hope you enjoy.

Shadow Storm - [Dawnbringer]

A slight howl of wind sounded throughout the dark forest, while leaves rustled in defiance to the oncoming winter winds. As a heavy overcast swept across the night sky, the world was drawn into an even deeper realm of darkness. The storm was near.

Starkyn raced deeper into the forest, heading north towards the source of the unnatural winds. He warped from place to place in the dim wood, an arcane skill which even he knew not the origins of. A flash of lighting brought him out of his midnight sprint, revealing his cloaked form as he continued dashing headlong. Thunder quickly followed its bright counterpart, booming forbodingly in the distance. Starkyn could feel the winds begin to pick up.

As he neared the cursed land, the trees began to thin and foliage gave way to a cloud covered sky; the forest had dissipated into the rocky slopes that began the Reuj Mountains. Gazing towards one of the mountain peaks, he immersed himself in darkness. Mere seconds later, he reappeared at the top of the rocky goliath. Standing in the cold mountain snow, Starkyn gazed past the mountains. Now he could see why Dmitri was scared.

Through keen eyes, he looked out over the area beyond the mountains. This was the land which Dmitri had referred to as "the shadow lands". It was apparent how it earned such a name, for there was nothing to see on the horizon other than a blackened sky and dark, decaying earth. Starkyn could feel its vile aura surrounding him, but oddly he felt at ease. What was most unsettling, though, was the enormous mass of swirling darkness which lay above the sky. Like a hurricane of shadows, it rotated slowly, accompanied often by strikes of preternatural lightning. Wind howled fiercely throughout it, but Starkyn couldn't decide if it was a true wind, or rather tormented cries from whatever foul creatures might inhabit such a thing. He didn't care to stay and find out.

Before he turned to leave, Starkyn took note of the storm's direction. It was moving to the southeast, towards the lands of Dresanir. He knew it was impossible, but still he hoped that the mountains would repel the abhorrent mass. No world should be fated to suffer such evil.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  2. Black Tattoo

Black Tattoo The Corruptor

Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    I must say I love the imagery! Very good visualization in this piece. I don't think I can point out anything out of place....heck I can't even find such things in my own writing half the time - LOL - But for me, I think it flowed rather well :D