Sexism in the modern world

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by S.J. Faerlind, Mar 24, 2013.

1. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    I was reading a thread on sexism in the gaming folder and thought it might be a good topic for debates too if we extended it beyond gaming. I also thought it might be interesting to get different perspectives since we have such a wide variety of ages and cultural backgrounds in TFF members. So the topic is this:
    How prevalent do you believe sexism still is in society? Have you had any experiences where you felt you were discriminated against because of your sex?

2. Lord Yuan

Lord Yuan Death-Thousand+

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    It is booming, I think it is partially to blame with most peoples life motivations being only driven by sex. Other people just become means to an end and nothing but a physical figure.

Media perpetuates it because the people that create the media are just obsessed about sex as all the ravenous hyenas out there. They generate content for like minded people that only care about their benefit and self-fulfillment, not caring that other people are still people.

I can't entirely blame these people though, they can become addicted to sex or that kind of stimulus because our brains are too feeble to control themselves even. I hate to be a pessimist but as much as I think we are stuck with racists and monarchs we will also have hormonal hellions.

3. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Extremely. It's everywhere and it disgusts me, but it seems an inate part of man's makeup.

No, because I'm a man, simple and sad at that is.

4. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    I believe sexism is everywhere, when I was younger I didn't see it. But now I see it everywhere. And Sweden's supposed to be one of the most equal and least sexist country according to studies.. and yet I see it every day.
    If I've felt it myself? Well mostly its stuff like "well you're a girl, you can't do that/know that/be that etc" The most annoying sexism we have here right now, is that workplaces doesnt like to hire women, because women go about having kids, so its more profitable to hire a man.. Cause the men don't take maternity leave, don't stay home sick with kids etc. We also don't get as much paid as the men do. Slutshaming is also something that annoys me. And the objectifying of women everywhere, both irl and in the media annoys the crap out of me. There a internet site that opened that is making a parody out of all that.. Its called "sell a thing with a girl" Which is basically where they put all the ads where halfnaked or naked girls are supposed to sell the product in question. New volvo out? why not put a naked girl on the car, the men will want it thinking they can have the model too! Want to sell a skateboard? Put it between a womans legs! Getting tired of everyday life and want a vacation, why not pick the place where there's a bunch of women creaming eachother up! etc etc -.-
    I could make a list that is so long, no one would want to read it, but im not.
    Men do also get their share of shit, unfortunately. But its still too huge on the womens side.

5. Beldaran

Beldaran Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i know it happens, but personally i don't see it much.. well i see it, but don't think of it in a negative manner generally. for example my sister, who is a very pretty girl, works in a bar at a local tennisclub, she gets tons of cash from all the older guys that come drinking in that bar after playing tennis. she earns a lot and just chats with those guys and pours them a lot of beers. she now has to find a job for the summer, and one guy who owns a cigar shop, asked my sister to come work in his shop and you don't tell me it's because my sister is an expert on cigars, i guess she'll bring men to the shop to buy stuff, but hey, she earns money, that guy earns money, why not?? i don't really care if there are half naked women in adverts..why should i bother? it sells.. so basically i don't mind sexist stuff in economical things. btw em you're right about the maternity stuff...that's not good :(

i do dislike the fact that apparently girls who have sex with a lot of guys or kiss a lot of guys are being called sluts and men on the other hand are not, or even like successfull men..why shouldn't a woman do that? if she likes to have sex with a lot of guys..let her. even so, i'm glad to see a lot of girls just doing this :) so they don't let other people tell them what to do and generally it is accepted..

btw i never experienced it myself...but maybe that's because i'm very young..at my work, in my function, i and one other girl earn the most, and there are a lot of guys as well. and besides that i never really experienced something like it..

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2013
  6. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    I would`nt like to get hated here by the ladies, but the womans are sexiasts them self, at least for my experience, sometimes girl says that "thats a mens job" etc, that means that there is`nt 100% of equolity and there will never be. Men can give a birth to the baby - no matter what he`ll do. And I think thats right - womans should`nt try to everything what man can and vice verse. I realize that this topic is more about how you treat a woman and how you dont, but I can`t realy say that girls got it worse than males - free enterece at clubs etc (ok thats not a serious bonus lol)

And yes most times girls are being used to attract male attention - but to work there - is the girls own choice, no one made her to work in swimsuit or lingerie to earn a money, so blaming guys for "falling" for tricks is wrong, you should blame both sides.

And yes modern society is far from "complete" SOCIAL gender eqoulity, but it will never happen, because our biology and the way of thinking is wrong, but most of all is thinking that someone is lesser than him, Thats the true cause for all problems.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  7. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    I guess the thing is, even though you feel that you cant say that girls have it worse of than men, society for thousands of years have been built on the idea that men are the ideal and norm. Which still flows through everything. Things are certainly much better now, and hides the constructions better in society. But its still a patriarch society.

Lets just draw a quick parallel to racism. "White & black" people. I mean, most people would say that there is no racism in most countries today.. but au contraire. And because of the history of oppression in both ethnicity and gender, it still lives on. Deeply rooted. But most people chose to ignore it.

But I'm not saying there's no sexism towards men either. I myself find it incredibly sad that men aren't as big of a individual or takes a big of a role in the kids life as women do. And that's a straw that is short for the men. And if men actually took more time with paternity leave, staying home sick with kids, not only would they have a greater relationship with their kids, and therefore don't have to hate on the mother for being the key person in the kids life..(when its themselves that make it so) they actually make the conditions for women better in the process. win win!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  8. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    It's changing, lets not forget changing what has been the status quo for centuries is going to take time. Heck over the last 50 or so years the changes have been vast (and that isn't just speaking socially either).

And some things won't go away - males will still find females attractive and sex will still sell vast amounts of stuff every year. The difference is that as time passes I suspect we'll see more good looking guys selling stuff as we see women selling stuff. You won't get rid of that unless you get rid of sex - and I don't see that happening any time ;)

So in the end I do agree that its still present (despite several women prime ministers over various countries, governments are still male dominated) and it will take time to shift things. Remembering that many of those in positions of great power grew up in a world so far removed from what it is today (indeed they've probably gone through one of the biggest social, cultural and technological periods of change that humanity has ever faced). As many more of them slip away into retirement and further I think that more of the "old school" style will slip away.

The biggest barrier and problem, as I see it, is actually the extremist feminists who are out not to see the equal balance but to try and replace male dominance with female dominance. Granted most of these groups are pretty fringe, but they still have an effect and a detrimental one I feel (even if sometimes they result in good changes their underlying principles are simply poorly founded)

9. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    ALL extremists are bad. There are not good extremists in political problems.

10. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    This won't be a popular opinion but I don't really care... I think women are to blame for most of the sexism these days.

You have all the freedom in the world and what do some of you do with it... how many pairs of shoes do you girls have in your closet, how many pushup bras, how much attention and time do you spend on your appearance? And so on.

Look at the advertising that modern women are assaulted with on a daily basis... the reason we see such sexism in popular culture is because women are full partners in it. It sells and women are buying it.

If ya'all want to be equal, well my goodness, you're going to find that being equal isn't so easy.

11. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Do we really have all the freedom in the world? Do we have as much freedom as men in this aspect? I doubt it.

I could agree on women being a helping factor to sustaining these views, however you got to consider the fact that even though there are women that buy the things that are being sold to them through commercials. It's all about selling a norm and selling beauty. And at the end of that row, there's usually greedy old men, deciding what kind of commercials or other media influenced things that are going to go out there to society. That or superficial women that have no clue what they are doing to young girls (and boys) today through those commercials.

Men also buys stuff, but I don't see them being victims of sexisms, why is that?

And I agree with anon up there, most extremists are bad, in most things.

12. Beldaran

Beldaran Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Em have you ever been in an abercrombie store :p??? Hehe men sex also sells

Sorry have been working for hours, had to make the stupid joky :D

13. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Haha, course it does xD I mean, I don't mind drooling over halfnaked men, I do it all the time.

I mean I can of course drool and objectify men, just as women are being objectified and drooled over in the media, but doesnt mean its right :p but the truth is that it does bring attention to stuff. It doesnt really want to make me buy stuff though. There's where I'm somewhat puzzled. Id rather buy a car seeing a commercial about the cool effects the car have or some shiny hood, rather than some tits or a nice pair of manballs.. :D

14. Overread

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    The whole sex sells isn't so much about direct marketing as indirect - you might not want the car at that exact moment, but that hot lady will stick in your mind longer - thus so will the advert - and thus the product itself. That might well make you consider researching or buying it above other "less seen" options.

Also don't forget that many people are not - well - overly bright. Advertising often does work upon them in a common level and each of us has our own buttons that can be pressed which increase our chance to purchase. For example putting a Dragon on the front cover of your fantasy book has been statistically shown to help sell more books!

15. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Well id say its more of efficient to have a logo or slogan that sticks to your mind, rather than a naked girl. Now I can understand why popular brands that have their name out in the media all the time gets more costumers than an unknown brand, but I just cant see how a naked individual will make it more memorable.. it would be more memorable if its something that is outside of the box, cool and new for the costumer.

16. Overread

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    Aye I can agree - but sadly marketing has determined that customers more receptive to "sexy" advertising appear to make up a broader (larger) proportion of the buying market that they are targeting.

17. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I grew up in a world not knowing what sexism was. I grew up watching shows like Xena and Buffy, knowing that women can do everything men can. In my own life I've never really experienced sexism in person, only online and within the gaming world, hence my other thread. I know it is still a problem though. I once read an article here how in many workplaces men are still paid a lot more than women for doing the exact same job which seems ridiculous to me.

18. Taliesyn

Taliesyn It's a feral reality out there, kids.

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    I wish someone would objectify me, dammit.

Oh, wait. Wifey does.

Sorry, guys. As you were...

19. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    I think it's a fact of life that people will always find other people attractive and that is why sex sells. The fact that people find others to be attractive isn't the problem in my opinion. I think we're supposed to be attracted to each other for biological reasons that make perfect sense for the continuation of our species. In my opinion it's the stereotypes we've built up around the issue that are the problem. Like the one that an attractive woman is good for only one thing for example or that someone who doesn't measure up to the "ideal" image of beauty is somehow lesser than someone who does. We have all kinds of stereotypes surrounding both male and female roles in society and in many/most cases they just don't accurately reflect the individual standing in front of us. Why do we make and believe these assumptions? I don't get it.

I've personally run into a lot of sexism in my life and I think a lot of it has to do with my size (I'm small). People just naturally seem to assume that I'm helpless or something. "Oh I'll get that for you." or "You can't carry that!"
    Oh yeah? Watch me! I'm very capable of deciding for myself what I can and can't do, thank you very much.
    I don't just get that from men either. I get it from women all the time too. I think Anon made a good point that women need to quit buying into some of these stereotypes, just like men do. I know some older women who have never hammered a nail into a wall because they thought that was "man's work". I'll never forget the time I showed some younger female coworkers how to mount something on a wall with a drill and drywall plugs. I was floored that they didn't know how to do something like that because their boyfriends, brothers or fathers always did it for them.
    Don't even get me started on how men "can't" look after kids or do housework.... that simply isn't true. Fortunately, I think those attitudes are falling by the wayside. There's a HUGE difference in parenting strategies between my generation and my parents' generation for example. My mother tells me that my father had little to do with looking after me until I was out of diapers. My husband did his fair share of changing our kids' diapers however and we take turns staying home from work if one of the kids is sick.
    In the end I strive not to believe in these stereotypes (though admittedly, it is sometimes an uphill battle). I think using them to assess anyone's suitability for most things is ludicrous.

20. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +330 / 1 / -0
    i got banned from the library today

i put all the womens rights books in the fiction section