Sevenwaters Trilogy

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Liadan, Sep 28, 2005.

1. imrhien

imrhien The Lady of the Sorrows

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    If it helps, I could post it to you at school. By the way I understand parents being freaked out by people from the internet posting you things, after all I am a parent myself. If you can think of anyway for me to post it to you with out getting you in trouble just let me know.:)

2. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Will do. :) I think I'll be able to survive for three weeks though. ;) At least I hope so. Besides, the speed GRRM is writing at, it's likely I'll be out of high school before he finishes ADWD. :rolleyes:

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD

@ Lyanna: Yep, that IS true, but the fact remains that Fainne did do some terrible things, so it's much harder to feel sympathetic towards her. I was in tears at the end with Finbar too. :( But it was definitely interesting to see Bran et al again, even if, as you so aptly said, that Johnny's a completely unrealistic character. ;)

Anyway, thanks for the estimate! ^^ I don't know very much at all about English/Ireland/Scotland/Wales history, lol.

3. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    No problem - I was curious anyway :). Plus, I like pretending that I know what I'm talking about, and when it applies to my native country it's so easily to assume the faux-knowledgeable air :D. Incidentally, I love reading fantasy set in Ireland - I guess it's the added sense of familiarity, like names, as well as the traditional fantasy elements :).

Just a random observation too, since I don't know anyone here who reads the books and I want to point it to someone :D. I have a feeling Juliet Marillier picked her name carefully for CotP. Remember the grass ring Darragh gave Fainne? It didn't play any real part in the plot, but a Fáinne is a ring in Irish, and isn't actually a name (unlike Sorcha and Liadan, which are genuine names). Just something I noticed :).

4. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    I enjoy reading fantasy set in any UK country myself. :) You might want to try Juliet Marillier's other novels as well though; I haven't read the Bridei Chronicles yet, but I did love Wolfskin and Foxmask. ^^

And as for Fainne: Oooh, really? That's actually pretty interesting, lol. Liadan means "gray lady," as far as I know, and Sorcha means "blessing," right?

5. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    Not more Juliet Mariller, I need to save some money for Christmas presents! :D. I will read them at some point though, maybe I'll ask for them for Christmas.

As for the names, I've heard 'grey lady' as a translation for Liadan too. It must be an old form of Irish though, I've never found a dictionary that had 'dan', or anything like it as a translation for 'lady'. 'Liath' is the Irish word for 'grey', and 'dán' is the word for 'poem'...or 'destiny', actually. I thought 'grey destiny' sounded like an interesting interpretation actually :). Despite my musings, I'd advise you to go with the official translation :D.

As for Sorcha, the translation I've usually heard is 'radiant', but then again, I'm no expert :).

6. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Hey, I'll go with your word too. ;) I've heard Sorcha translated as light before too. :)

But I know the feeling on Xmas prezzies. Maybe you can ask for them for Xmas - or your birthday. :D

7. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Bumping SUPER old thread because I just read the "Heir to Sevenwaters" book, thoroughly enjoyed it, and would now like to see if anyone else has read it.

If you have, Lyanna's post about Johnny here will become really, really hilarious for reasons revealed in the book. Or at least I think it's hilarious.

8. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    I'm now very, very curious. I think this may go on my Christmas reading list too.

9. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Incidentally, the now-expected "male companion" to the female character is quite possibly my favorite, even tied with Bran <3.

Lya, to be fair, I'm not entirely sure if everyone else is gonna find your "Johnny was fantastic...although I can't seem to find any eighteen-year-old boys like him anywhere in my part of the country :(. Basically, he was entirely unrealistic but I still loved him :). " funny, but you should read the book anyway. And then I'll explain why I'm giggling again when I reread that post.

10. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    I actually bought it (had a convenient book token) so I'll post when I have it read, though that'll probably be in the holidays. Right now I have two essays due for next week :(.

11. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    You totally should! Let me know what you think ;)

12. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    HERE BE SPOILERS

What, you mean that even in fantasy worlds set in alternate versions of ancient Ireland the most attractive guys are still always gay??? Yeah, I laughed too.

Anyway... this was pretty good although IMO not as good as the other three. I liked the tie-in with the three tales that Willow told at the start but (possibly because the stories gave us an indication) I actually found some parts very predictable - it was obvious that Cathal's mysterious father was one of the Fair Folk though it did take me a while to cop that it was Mac Dara himself. As for Johnny, alarm bells rang at the first mention of "isn't it odd that he hasn't got a wife and child yet?" although to be fair that might be because I was looking out for it (or something, anyway) after what you'd said. It didn't occur to me that Gareth was his lover which in retrospect is pretty bad.

As for Clodagh, I rather liked her as a character. As has been seen in the Arya/Sansa debates, I quite like female characters that are not drastically contradictory to the time and place in which they live but are still strong characters in their own right and, IMO, like Sansa, Clodagh fits that bill.

Cathal... wasn't too bad but is a long way short of the amazingness that was Bran. He was a decent character though and I definitely enjoyed reading the book :).

13. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    I dunno, I liked Cathal because he wasn't quite so disgustingly sweet and nice like Red and Darragh. lol

14. Anistrae

Anistrae New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    While I realize that this post of WAYYY to late, PLEASE tell me what ASoLaF or whatever it is stands for PLEASE!!! WHen I saw it recommended alonside the likes of the Sevenwaters Trilogy, I decided I HAVE to read it. Please excuse the overuse of caps in the message, but I am a wee bit desparate now (as you might be able to see).

Oh, and to give my two cents: Bran is amazing, and defeats all others...ALWAYS

DON'T YOU JUST LOVE CAPS?!?!

15. Clodagh

Clodagh New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Anistrae,
    I just stumbled across this series myself. aSoIaF=A Song of Ice and Fire by George R R Martin
    I'm looking for the first book now, which is called "Game of Thrones".
    Can't wait to begin this series, especially as it was compared with Sevenwaters (which I'm obsessed with!)
    :)

Search tags for this page

sevenwaters forum

sevenwaters series forum