Sevenwaters Trilogy

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Liadan, Sep 28, 2005.

1. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    I guess I'll get to meet Johnny soon then :D. Now I'll have to spend the next couple of days till I get the book fantasising about grown-up Johnny...and getting it hopelessly wrong of course :).

And yes, I have to agree that SotS is more complicated than DotF. I think Juliet Marillier mentions in the introduction that DotF is based on a legend (a German one?). That might explain the simplicity of it, while SotS has far more subplots and more grey area in the characters. Ciarán's greyness especially, that guy really intrigues me :D. I can't wait to find out more about him.

2. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    It's either German or Celtic, but yes, it's a fairy tale - I've read it before somewhere. :) And you'll love Johnny, I promise. :D

One thing I also loved that SotS developed Liam, Conor, and Finbar far more than DotF. It just proved my theory that Finbar = awesome. :D And Ciàran is certainly an interesting character to learn about. :)

3. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    i finally finished daughter of the forest and it was good. I finished it in four days but i with Son of Shadows I'm finding quite a bit of it repeticious. Also, is Red now called Iubdan? I'm lost on that....any help? So far the second book has been interesting. Unfortunately i haven't had time to read it much any because i've been very busy lately.

4. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Yep, Iubdan is Red (it's an approximation of Hugh, his original name). And Son of the Shadows is an excellent book. :D

5. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    Ah okay..that's what i thought but wasn't sure. Why can't she stick with one name....? Jeesh. I get so confused when I don't know who the person is/was and whether or not he/she was in the novel before. Anyway...I haven't had anytime to read anymore...been busy and all of that. I'll try my best to read some more this week but so far it's a not looking good.

6. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    :( Awww! But I hope you'll finish it eventually. :D

Anyway, the reason why Juliet Marillier changed his name is because the Sevenwaters folk called him Iubdan (an Irish name), preferring not to call him by a British name. It was also sort of a joke, because there was a folktale about "Wee Iubdan" who was evidently tiny, and Red is tall.

7. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    Oh...all right. I had time to read some this weekend and now i'm on chapter 9. so I'll try to get some more done. It's hard though because i'm currnetly in the process of remodeling my basement.

8. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    Yeah...my Sevenwaters reading is currently on hiatus...damn shop not having Child of the Prophecy :(. I've ordered it though, so I should get to read it at some point (at this rate I'll be lucky if I've read it by Christmas)

9. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    @ Confessor: Best of luck on the remodeling! :)

@ Lyanna: Well, reading it eventually is better than never reading it. :D In the meantime, might I suggest other Juliet Marillier books? :D

10. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    Well, it's easy for you to tell me that when you've already read it!!! :D I might get some other ones I guess. I'm in Dublin now, they've real bookshops here. Of course I could probably get Child of the Prophecy here too...if I hadn't already ordered it. I actually expected to have it by now, you see...why was I so naive??? :(

11. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    :( Awww! Is there any way to cancel your order?

12. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    Nope, it's already been sent, I think...just hasn't arrived. Although they do have Child of the Prophecy here, and I had to walk past it :(.

13. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    :eek: Now THAT's terrible. :( About the only thing I could think that could be worse is ADWD out in the bookstore and unable to buy it. Actually, I was almost apoplectic when AFFC came out - Aus and Europe got it 3 weeks earlier than we did! :p

14. imrhien

imrhien The Lady of the Sorrows

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Don't worry Liadan if we get it earlier this time I'll send you over a copy, Ill have mine advance ordered so it should get to you about three days after it's released

15. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    :D That'd be totally awesome if you could! :D Although... lol, there's the whole parent deal. Wonder if Amazon.uk can send books over to the US...

16. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    I have now got Child of the Prophecy!!!...due to spending my time attempting to teach little kids how to swim I haven't actually started it yet...but I will very soon :).

17. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    I didn't mean to double post...damn computer...

Last edited: Nov 3, 2006
  18. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    I just finished the second book. It was okay compared to the first. Liadan is a strong girl but the whole i'm only 16 or however old she was and pregnant didn't was freaking odd to me. To be blunt it was disgusting but then again that was normal for that time period. Anyway, I'll try to start on book three sometime later on.

19. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    @ Lyanna: :D

@ Confessor: Yeah, do remember this was set around what, 1000? And Sorcha was 16 when she married Red, ya know.

20. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    I'm trying to figure out when this was set actually...this is what I've come up with. It's obviously AD because of the element of Christianity and Christianity reached Ireland c. 400AD. There's a mention of "Norsemen" - Vikings, which is after 800AD, more or less. It has to be prior to the Norman invasion of 1169, and I'd guess prior to the Norman invasion of Britain too since we hear no mention of that (IIRC), so before 1066. There's no mention of a High King which would date it either, but the High Kings only became a reality in the ninth century, so that century is my (uneducated :D) guess.

WARNING: Spoilers ahead

Oh, and I've read Child of the Prophecy! I think Son of the Shadows is still my favourite, but I definitely liked CotP too. The follow-up element to SotS was great too, I hadn't expected to see Inis Eala and Gull and the rest again. Johnny was fantastic...although I can't seem to find any eighteen-year-old boys like him anywhere in my part of the country :(. Basically, he was entirely unrealistic but I still loved him :). Ciarán...he was amazing at the end. He's such a fantastic character (running out of superlatives here :D...), I obviously have a thing for mysterious fantasy guys. His appearance at the end was totally unexpected, but spectacular! I'm not entirely sure about the Darragh-returning-from-the-sea thing but it worked out ok, I guess. Fainne wasn't my favourite of the main characters, but her dilemma over trying to beat Oonagh was interesting...she was completely trapped after all, at least Sorcha and Liadan didn't have that mental trapping.

Search tags for this page

sevenwaters forum

sevenwaters series forum