Senekha's Sketchbook

Discussion in 'User Created Art' started by Senekha, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Senekha

Senekha <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys :) Been a while since I posted any art here....I think it goes without saying that it's progressed a wee bit in the last few years. So, here are a few of my past and current projects. Some of these current ones I am hoping to enter in this year's Exotique, by Ballistic Publishing (wish me luck!).

I'll post here occasionally with updates and new stuff. I am always looking for feedback - don't be shy with constructive criticism! I post things in order to help myself grow as an artist.

I also have a few other older sketches up on my art blog, which I haven't updated in a while...just in case anyone's interested. http://katriann.wordpress.com/

Oh, and...I'm open for commissions. PM me if you're interested - I do mostly busts (as you can see) but am open to trying other types.

This one is a current project, one I'm pretty happy with so far, even though I don't think it's quite the right style/quality for Exotique. But, I may enter it anyways if I manage to finish it by the deadline in August.
    [​IMG]

Another WIP, that I've been piddling away at for a couple years actually. I suspect I'll never be happy with it. Anyways, this is my namesake, Senekha. She's a badass warlord in my novel (yet another work in progress!)
    [​IMG]

Another personal character, actually from an RPG I participated on in this forum, um....8 years ago? I never did finish this piece - haven't touched it in about a year. But, one day, I will. This is one of the few pieces I have that I used a photo reference for (all of my other personal characters are from imagination):
    [​IMG]

Some concept art I'm working on for a future webcomic. Obviously not finished, but I'm not updating it currently so think I'll just post what I have for now.
    [​IMG]

Yet another personal character, this one also from my novel, and one of the main protagonists.
    [​IMG]

Fanart sketch of Whiskeyjack, from the Malazan Book of the Fallen (Steven Erikson):
    [​IMG]

Random old finished piece. Thinking of revamping it with my current style for my submissions to Exotique. SOrry it's so big - I'm too lazy to go resize it right now. Maybe later.
    [​IMG]

Random waterfall sketch I might finish one day. I'm terrible with land/forest-scapes.
    [​IMG]

2. Senekha

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    Another possible entry for Exotique, if I ever finish it. No idea where I"m actually going with it.
    [​IMG]

A random character...also unfinished. I think my problem is that I get bored with pieces.
    [​IMG]

And, just in case you're curious about my image progression, and just to show how random and crazy my progression is, here is how that last image came to be. At first I was going for something Asian...than Mayan...then...well....
    [​IMG]

And lastly (for now), two fanart-in-progress ones. I'm doing a series of female characters from WoT. Here is Egwene and Min. I admit to using photo references to begin with - a random actress for Egwene (I feel bad that I don't remember the name), and one of my best friends for Min. When I use photo references, it's generally only to get the expression or whatever, and then I discard the reference and just paint what I feel like it should look like.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    YAY! Another person who is good at digital painting. I'm trying to learn and have been getting tips from members of the forum who are good at it. I'm still VERY newbish at the whole thing and hardly know what I am doing.

4. Senekha

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    Just keep plugging away at it :) I've only recently gotten to the point where I don't need to use references like crazy. Start with photos and use them as a reference - focus on lighting, colours, shading, etc, and just try to copy the photo. Once you've done enough, you'll start to be able to create whatever you want from imagination. Just don't be lazy like me and only paint once in a blue moon. I have friends who started out at about the same level as me years ago, but they sketch and paint and doodle every single day, and they are now art idols of mine.

5. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I've always done a lot of traditional drawing and painting, so digital painting is really new for me. I'm finding things like blending colours etc to be really difficult in photoshop. I have an art thread on this site as well with some stuff, but it's all very basic compared to yours. I've only really done two digital painting attempts to date haha. I'm really only starting.

6. Taliesyn

Taliesyn It's a feral reality out there, kids.

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    Frankly, I could also learn a lot from you, Sen. Your art is jaw dropping. And your use of colour is sublime. Just amazing.

7. Senekha

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    I learned from reading and watching many, many tutorials. There are tons of (free) resources online to learn how to paint with photoshop. I love watching other artists paint - some of my biggest leaps have come from watching another artist paint. It's even better if they're talking and explaining what they're doing while they paint. Stjepan Segic has some awesome videos on his youtube...the one where he talks is great. He has a lot of neat tricks and pointers. http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ-sBrcSaH94fDo1MQNQcOw

8. AlphaAlex

AlphaAlex Official Forum Nuisance

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -0
    Amazing as always.

9. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Wow.

I particularly like Egwene and Whiskeyjack.

10. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Sweet thanks. I watch a lot of speed painting vids but I need to get into some more tutorials.

11. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Join the Madness

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    That's simply great Senekha! I'm speechless! Wow!

12. Merlin Corey

Merlin Corey New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You're quite good. At first I thought it was traditional painting. Which software do you use?
    I personally do more 3d art, I'm not good at drawing :)

13. Julie

Julie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Amazing!!
    And how do you do it then with photoshop?? I don't get it :)

14. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    They're beautiful and amazing! We have loads of great artists joining/coming back to TFF right now (have you seen PerFolmer's and Stormborn's work?).

I really love just about all of them, except for maybe the first on you posted, which is slightly flat I think (although much better than I could ever do :) ).

15. Oddrun

Oddrun I speak languages.

Ratings:
    +200 / 1 / -0
    I'm very impressed. The faces are so full of life! Absolutely fantastic ;)

16. Senekha

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    Thanks all :)

I have a wacom tablet hooked up to my PC, so when I'm in Photoshop, I start with a blank canvas, and then start choosing colours with my tablet and drawing with them. It's like my tablet is the canvas, only I have to look at my computer screen to see what it actually looks like.

17. Senekha

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    The angle is a little weird - I think that came from me trying to do a head at an angle without any references. Other people have commented similarly. Maybe I'll figure it out before the end :)

18. Julie

Julie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Aaaahhh.
    What you can do with technology these days is awesome! And you're very talented. Do you also sometimes draw with crayon-paper or maybe paint as well?

19. Senekha

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    Yep I started out as a "traditional" artist, then branched into digital. It's hard to go back! Digital isn't any easier, per se (well, except for mixing colours...that's easier in photoshop), but it has SO MANY more possibilities. It's extremely versatile!

20. PerFolmer

PerFolmer Citizen of Urth.

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Oh, yeah!
    Great stuff Senekha.
    I liked that first "random character". Cool somewhat strong outlines and neat colors inside. Pretty "Mucha". :)
    Sure is inspiring. Thanks for showing!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013