Self-harm

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Kakashi, May 23, 2012.

?

Have you ever self-harmed?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    42.4%
  2. No, and I have never thought about it

16 vote(s)
    48.5%
  3. No, but I have considered doing it before

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Yuan

Lord Yuan Death-Thousand+

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I see them and their wishes as deluded, ultimately for the human race as a collective it would be better if weak ones as myself did ourselves in and ended our consumption. I don't encourage others to do so though as their definitions and views of self achievement varies.

Love is already selfish, so is continuing to live, so is killing yourself. Ultimately no matter how hard we try to appease others or do good our own brains will seize control and demand attention first. It is natural and keeps us alive as nature intends.

Bashing myself openly isn't making me feel any better, I'm just telling you as an example. It is a paradox where on either side being alive or dead I would be selfish. I can only see it as a lesser of two evils situation.

2. RayCaptain

RayCaptain 如朱

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    Or you could tone the dramatic part of it down a bit and come to realize that love is the exact opposite of selfishness because when you love someone, you would give them anything, even if it was not beneficial to you in any way. Anyway... The "weak ones" of society is such a radical term, I mean really, who is it up to decide what is 'weak' or 'strong'. Simply put, your version of those terms seems to be "If they have low-selfesteem, they are of a lower tier". I am probably about a country mile off what you meant, but that's how it comes across.

Anyway, the 'bashing yourself to make you feel better' thing was sarcasm, it was just me informing you that it won't help whatever situation you're in at all. Personally, I think that if you would develop a sense of self-confidence (not boisterous pride or arrogance, but actual self-confidence), then all of what you're saying currently would go out the window at an amazing rate. Take Anakin for example, as he stated before he thought about suicide plenty and probably saw himself as 'weak', all it takes is someone like Padme to come along (or anyone really, there doesn't have to be a 'relationship' per se) and help you to your feet...

3. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Love is selfish because it is impossible to love everything. You have to select what you value most. Loving everything or everyone spreads yourself too thin and then you aren't really loving anything but you are entirely selfless. At least that is how I see it.

The only thing that will help me is if there is anything that I can do that will instill the sense of worth I desire within myself. That is why I have set the high goal I have, if I can reach it I will have proved myself wrong and done a great thing and open up good doors for the future. If not I have failed and I am as I see myself now.

Any number of individuals could fall in love with me, but until I have objective proof that I can make a difference none of that matters to me. To me their love would be misplaced, better elsewhere to somebody who needs it more.

4. RayCaptain

RayCaptain 如朱

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    Well I disagree in the sense that anyone falling in love with you wouldn't matter. It only takes one person for your 'selfish ways' to take hold and go "Wow, this person's opinion really matters to me, and they happen to think highly of me,". At least, that's what happened to me. Go take a look back before I met Pyro and stuff, I was generally a depressed person that was, in fact, unhappy with life in every aspect of the phrase. Again, I could be wrong, but so could you, and you have put across an opinion that is both plausible and respectable so I will have to leave it at that.

5. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

Good point, a point I missed myself.

I'm actually quite sympathetic for those people who suffer with depression. I can't say that depression is something I understand very well, never having been what I would consider *depressed*, and not coming from a family tree where depression is prevalent; but I do believe self-harm is pretty much universal.

I think we all harm ourselves. Some it's with drugs and alcohol, others it's with unhealthy relationships or excessive escapism, and to me the ultimate harm one can inflict on one's on psyche is accepting a submissive role in life... like worshipping a God or taking part in any religious beliefs. To me, cutting yourself is nothing compared to submitting your thoughts and actions to a God.

And Kak, please don't worry about folks like RayCaptain... you're a decent guy with heart, something Ray and all his regurgitated rap poetry will never have.

6. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

Indeed, and profoundly true.

Hate me for outrageous comments, I'm fine with that, ignore me for the less than subtle way of expressing myself, again I'm fine with that... but I'm not an attention seeking troll. Really, I spend less than twenty minutes a day on average on the internet and belong to only one forum, hardly the characteristics of a troll on some mission to hurt people's feelings.

7. RayCaptain

RayCaptain 如朱

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    Pffffft, this guy... Ignore list o7

8. azuren82

azuren82 Berserk got banned...

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Ray, I'm not trolling you to be fair. Its just that I've got this impression that you're still the same ol' reactive person N years back when you're new here. Again, you're entitled to your opinions. But before you shoot, I think you need to have this mental preparation that ppl will disagree with you and take you to task. Why? b/c opinions=/=facts. Nothing else. As per what Yuan had said, you're attitude has been pretty heavy handed at times, so I won't say watch your mouth but rather you might need to calm down first before shooting.

P.S: Sparrow is anti-religion. If you ignore him, then all is fine. If I wanna be fair, anything non-religion would seem far more normal on his end. His views on Mid East politics are especially interesting. if he thinks religion=bigotry... well, political correctness=part of humanity.

9. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Sparrow makes some good points, but I think everybody should cut down on the personal attacks. I'm personally strongly against worshiping deities one or many, but trying to attack somebody personally to get them to see eye to eye with you won't help, especially with something controversial.

I wouldn't say that worship is self harming, many have used it to aid their sense of self. Sometimes it gives people purpose or meaning in life, although I would argue they are better off finding their own path for their own reasons. Still for many it is a way to prevent self-harm as many religious doctrines stand against ungainly ways to harm oneself. Be it dietary, with gambling, with alcohol, many guiding lines. Still some rules can seem archaic and misguiding in modern times so many interpret or omit parts of their doctrine.

Still I would always support fixing the problem directly rather than seeking solace in a religion. And some people like me need serving roles. I could never be a leader, the best bet I have is to offer my most to the collective so they won't suffer the ordeals I've gone through and heard about. Living for myself seems empty, because once I'm dead I'm dead and my happiness isn't guaranteed to bring happiness to others.

10. azuren82

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Well, I nvr said Sparrow is a default dick. As I've implied, certain thing he brought up on the Mid East politics were pretty much legit. But does he always go personal mode when it comes to religion? Vindictive nature is part of humanity. If he wants to justify himself, its fine by him. Even if he's letting fly personal insults for personal reasons not known to us. To be fair, there's actually a lot of broken ppl/assholes out there in the world. Its only down to the empathy/apathy factor.

11. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    It must just be a personal thing for him or something that he comes into contact with so often he can't help but bring it up or press his stance on it. Still I don't know why he threw it into this thread, Sevi didn't say anything to provoke religion wars, he would probably be more well received if his post was more like the last one that logically brings religion into the discussion.

I still think to some degree he believes he is spreading his brand of enlightenment on the matter possibly to add more to the discussion or to vent his frustrations with it, which is also understandable just less well received the way he goes about it.

12. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    :*

13. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    You aren't helping your side when you are praising people trash talking. The both of you can keep holding a grudge but it won't help either of you and it will make the forums more awkward and depress me further so please, consider Ray's clarified statements rather than beating in his perhaps more poorly or less detailed opinions from before.

I'm sick of it when two people who I know and respect have these feuds. It strains me.

14. Kakashi

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    What do you mean 'helping my side'? It's not like there is some great, respectable debate that is going on. It's obvious to anyone with common sense that what Ray has said is unacceptable. Not on a personal note but just in general on the topic of depression and self-harm. His clarification changed nothing about what he was saying. I never respected him and now I have a very good reason to hate him, which I'm content in doing. He's barely even a functioning human-being. Not only because of this but for many others. I'm sorry if it depresses you further but I'm not going to just give up any dignity I have left and accept the arguments of someone who is directly insulting the habits of people who I love more than myself.

15. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Then I don't have common sense friend. I too think that depression is annoying. Nothing I say to myself or others can free them from it, and some people make all they are their depression like how some people make all they are their grades, or their relationship, or their organizations. I know for a fact I'm annoying when I'm low because people will ignore me and say the same "deal with it" phrases whenever I have an episode. Depression is relentless to the victim and those in the vicinity as it carries on and so little can be done to fix it.

For his situation his options are justified. If your father killed himself I'm sure you would have stronger negative opinions about depression and being a victim of the aftermath yourself. While his experience holds true, it may feed into less tolerant viewpoint.

And when I say helping your side I mean you aren't doing your dignity any favors when you stoop to insults in whose name it doesn't matter. If someone defended my honor in such manner I would be ashamed for them.

16. Kakashi

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    Ooooooooh, I see what you're saying. You're right, right, right. You and Ray are right. I'm sorry.

17. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    This attitude you have is the root of all this. I'd suggest you become less emotionally invested in this or anything you disagree with, but I tire and can't keep trying to be neutral and universally supportive and my garbage advice has never done anybody any good so take everything I've ever said lightly anyway. Nothing I do amounts to anything, I only get in the way.

18. azuren82

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Kak, to be fair to LY, the main issue isn't down to you or just abt anybody else. Its down to Sparrow's me-vs-them-all way of doing things that have muddied the waters. Although granted Ray really needs to grow up in terms of over-reactivity as well. As per what LY has implied/said, maybe things wouldn't be so bad had Sparrow not gone off tangent. I'll have to admit that I've nvr got a personal axe to grind with him. But if that's his attitude in reality, then someone might/will stab him in the back. Figuratively or literally. A product of person's own demons shouldn't be a justification for the rest to stir the shit pot. Ironically speaking tho, you do come across to me as far more normal than that bloke. -.-'

19. RayCaptain

RayCaptain 如朱

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    To be fair to myself, if you go back to my very first post in this thread, I was entirely un-'reactive' and it is actually a more thought-out view. It was just largely taken the wrong way and Kakashi flipped his lid and just began attacking me. Did I retaliate? Better believe I did. Does that put me at fault? Yup. But I am neither childish or ignorant for my reactions. In fact, I buried the fight more than once just to have Kakashi bring it back up. I am really trying to get past this as far as the insults. I've had my bit of it, and you'll notice that my 'insults' as of the most frequent posts in here are "Grow up" when he uses he starts calling me the equivalent of a 'poopy-face', like we are in first grade... I did my part, and, as seen with Yuan, am not opposed to people simply having differing opinions.

20. azuren82

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    The fact that you can remain unmoving at first doesn't mean the same thing 10 posts down the road. If human beings can do that, then quite obviously we're far more superior than machines. At the end of the day, you have the right not to say anything or vice versa. Likewise for the rest as well. But still as per what my church elder has said before, a person will always be a prisoner of his own words. Its down to how we will react once the monkey hits home. Of course if my previous words sound hard handed, then I'm sorry. T_T

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.