Segmented leather cuirass

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by CaPtYnCrOnIc, Jan 20, 2008.

1. CaPtYnCrOnIc

CaPtYnCrOnIc The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Well I got everything I need to get started and have begun with the tedious task of plating the 1000 scales I bought from the Ring Lord. I have to say that I am impressed with the scales overall but I wish I wouldn't have got just the mild steel but my reason for that was stainless steel needs an additional 'coat' of a special plating before you can plate it for real. Didn't want to over complicate things my first time so I just went with the mild steel. I do believe that they will still be strong enough after everything is said and done to suit my needs for now.

I am VERY impressed with the results I have gotten with the plating kit. I highly recommend it to everyone. It is a long process but mainly because I have so many scale to do. Many might feel like it wouldn't be worth it but to me the fact that I can control the look of the final plating is more than worth the sacrifice of a few hours time.

I only polished a few of the scales prior to plating like Caswell instructed and have yet to notice much of a difference between those I did polish and those I didn't. I did however notice a slight difference when I polished the scales post plating with a dremel tool and preferred the more aged look when I just rubbed off the slight tarnish that was cause by the plating itself with a paper towel.

You do have to clean the piece very well as any oils or grit will; 1) affect the look of the plate, I have a scale with a plated thumbprint in it now cuz I was hurrying and touched it before I plated it, 2) contaminate the plating solution and affect your results from then on. That hasn't happened to me yet

My internet connection is acting funny right now and it's not letting me upload any pics but I will get some up later today.

2. CaPtYnCrOnIc

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Here are the pics I promised. Srry it took so long, I have a bad problem with a tooth so I wasn't able to post earlier and will be unable to get much else done on this suit until I get it fixed.

The scales in the foreground are what they looked like prior to plating and in the background are some I went ahead and put together after plating. Kind of a fuzzy pic but you get the just of whats going on.

I really liked the aged look the scales had when I first pulled them out of the plating solution so I pretty much left them as is but you can polish them to make them very shiny.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  3. CaPtYnCrOnIc

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    wow thats a bad pic didn't look like that before I posted it lol. I'll try and get a better one asap

4. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Good to see it progressing, keep up with the updates I'm finding it really interesting

5. CaPtYnCrOnIc

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Man, had to have tooth pulled the other day so I haven't gotten around to doing much of anything. Gotta figure out what happened with that pic but don't feel like messing with it right now.

Gotta put the curiass on hold until I get a dummy of some kind. I don't want to mess it up and I found it too complicated to use myself in this instance.

I am however working on the rest of the harness starting with some gauntlets that will follow the same design also allowing for future inclusion of steel in the design when money allows for it. Another first for me though but the only complication I am having with the design is the attachment of the knuckle plate to the top of the hand so the finger lames move smoothly.

Pics coming as soon as I get to feeling better!

6. CaPtYnCrOnIc

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    so Hopefully thins is a better picture of the scales before and after.

Had a little accident with the pieces I had put together, my 1 year old picked up the cup I had the solution in, I saw him grabbed it and did not see that it had spilled slightly over the tv tray I had been working on. Later on that night I went back to work on it and saw that the solution that had spilled got all over the scales I had plated and put together and stripped the plating right off of them!

Almost cried right there.

Attached Files:

7. CB Swords

CB Swords Forum Administrator

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Keep em... adds a little character to use different metal finishes (See c-3po's leg). Last time I made armor I did a random pattern of brass and copper.

8. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    So? What's the latest on this project? Still chipping away at it?

When I made my Faramir armour I luckily had my girlfriend to be able to pin thigns and hold thigns on me in place and helping me mark where to cut and stitch etc. You don't have anyone who could lend a hand? Finding a dummy might take a while.

My girlfriend has a proper dressmaker's dummy, but seeing as I don't have boobs it's not really that good for me hahaha

9. CaPtYnCrOnIc

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Well I moved and all the crap that comes with it held me up for a while. I have been slowly working on the scales as I have time and am working all the kinks out with poster board before I waste all my leather.

I'll get some pics up as soon as I can. I start my new job tomorrow, welding! Lots of scrap metal. So yeah I had some ulterior motives for wanting the job, lol

I found a site where you can make a dummy out of duct tape and some wire so imma do that when I get the money to buy alot of tape and wire,lol.

10. CaPtYnCrOnIc

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Got an update.....

So I have kinda been otta it for a bit, started a new job as a welder(fav profession btw) and have been working alot of overtime so I can get a good bonus.

Still have not gotten or made a dummy of any kind so I have been working instead on the full arm armor & gauntlets. The design will complement the rest naturally and be very organic, utilizing tooling and hammering I am going to give the whole thing a very animalistic quality. Kinda hard to explain other than that, lol.

So the design and patterns are finished and I started on the gauntlets first, figuring to start from the bottom so to say. Now the fingers are all I have cut and molded as of yet and I dunno if I screwed up but they look cool as hell! Don't have pics at the moment but will soon.

As to the screw up I noticed that all gauntlet designs with scales seemed to start the scales at the 'finger nail' and over lap each scale on top of the other going up the finger. Now I know the obvious reason for this it to better protect the finger but come on, if a guy were to hit your finger hard enough with a steel blade a finger is gonna break. Maybe not get cut off but a fracture is gonna happen.

So yeah I went the other way over laping from the knuckle and going down, each scale coming to a point and the edges are going to be..... steel capped? Lol, dunno a better phrase srry :) Scalish like meticarpel plates and wrist finishes it out and I am debating on joining this to the rest of the arm.

Longer than expected but thats my story.

11. CaPtYnCrOnIc

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Heres another update on my baby :)

So yeah I ended up joining the gauntlets to the arms like I was debating b4 and it turned out great! I only did up until the vambrace because I wanted to get all the kinks worked out on the paulrons first.

As of now I have a dummy!!!! Believe it or not what I ended up doing (cuz I got tired of waiting) was clip up some wire coat hangers and formed like 4 to my shoulders, chest, stomach and hips then just joined it all together with more wire after figuring out how far they needed to be spaced. Stuffed the wire frame with a bunch of soft crap then took three of those long john shirts and covered the whole thing. Even made a couple short arms for it, stuffed em up the sleeves and knotted the end. Works pretty good and I didn't have to pay a thing for it! woot! Already had stuff here.

So over the last month I have been slowly piecing my patterns out and have changed a few things for simplicity.

The gorget is going to be attached to the main chest and backplate but appear to be removable. The full arms will be removable and I am working on the pauldrons now. I might make it so the lower arms are not fully attached to the whole and can be removed along with an elbow cop. The pauldrons are going to be like the 'great' pauldrons as they will come over both my back and chest with a little armpit covering too that will seem one piece when standing idle and kinda fan out when you would raise your arms.

No sharp points anywhere other than a few claw looking ornements I am going to put around the tassets. I wanted a flowing armor that looked as good as it worked and as I was going for something that would be flexible roundness just sort of seemed right. Over and over I kept trying to put in a point here or there and hell I even ended up reworking the gauntlets to fit the overall look too.

I am debating rather to just have front and back tassets or a 'war skirt' to cover my upper thighs. I and going to have full leg protection anyways but kinda like the way a war skirt looked and it would be added protection. The 'cup' lol I know thats not right but whatever, is gonna be pretty cool. Its going to be fairly large with the scales I posted pics of b4 behind it. You'll have to see it and you'll agree with me :p

Thats what I have worked out so far and man did it take long enough to get here! lol My kids ef'ed up my camera so not pics yet but I'm working on it.

Gave it a name too! Organic Dragon! sounds like a vegan thing yeah but once you see the finished harness you'll get it! Already have plans in the works for a helm but I wanna do it myself and I have to wait till we can move outta my apt. Heres a link to one like mine but kids'll run crying to mommy when they see mine! lol It'll be more dragon like with a bit of a protruding jaw and no crest on top, ram like horns curling back with the points forward and a twisted spike 'goatee'. Lots of teeth and spikes.

http://www.darkheartarmoury.com/cunningham.htm

12. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    So? Progress? Pictures? Lemme see lemme see!!!

13. CaPtYnCrOnIc

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    So far I do have some pics, problem is we moved and I cant find the cord for the comp :( BUt any how progress is going ok right now. I have figured out the war skirt and am starting there. I gotta get some dyes when I have the money. KInd of crappy story if I didnt tell it earler but I had the solution of brass plating on top of the fridge. WIife got into the freezer and wen she closed it down comes the bottle and now I cant plate anymore.

So that made me have to rethink my 'color scheme' so Im going with black and red with touches of silver cuz most of the scales I have are unplated. but I digress.

I have the war skirt leather all cut out and mocked up using the handymans helper duct tape :) Came up with a neat tooling design but its totally rude as hell. Only had a small paintbrush handle and a razor to work with. BTW a small bottle works pretty good at rounding edges, mine was sloped pretty good so I think that helped too. Im working on a tight budget so this is a prototype, once I get the skills down I can make it better. FOund out how bad I sew the last couple days making the padding to go in front of the skirt. I am attatching that padding to a large piece of black/red cloth along with the scales. That would go on first then the skirt which will double as a sword belt and look like a belt.

The cloth will extend down a little past my knees and I am going to try and sew on some sort of stiff leather around the bottom. dunno bout that yet.

I'll have pics up soon so everyone can see whats happening with it.

14. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Pictures dude, give us pictures!

15. CaPtYnCrOnIc

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    yeh yeah, I'm working on it. Its harder than I thought to find a replacement cable but imma order one of the company's website and I should be able to do that in a week or so.

Patience,lol

16. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    What about a memory card reader if you cna't find a specific camera cable? I use one to transfer all my photos, much faster than through the camera and it can handle XF, compact flash, SD so my memory card bases are covered. They're cheap and can be found in any computer store too.

17. CaPtYnCrOnIc

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    didnt think about that. Ill look into it. i already ordered a cable, nothing saying I cant have both though.

18. CaPtYnCrOnIc

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    So yeah...bad news, well sort of depending on how you look at it......no its bad news,lol.

Lost my apt and had to move into my in laws with the fam. Sux ass! Cant enjoy nothin I used to and cant work on my armor as much so the project is put on hold for a bit. Gonna have some pics asap though as soon as I unpack all of it again but dont expect anything for a couple weeks.

Srry guys, not too sure how many ppl are following this but I know Mububban is itchin for a look-see. Lil update though I'm almost done with the scales woot! Yeah bout time I finished something on this damn thing,lol. Learning alot though, especially how make common things work in place of the tools I don't have.

So yeah, thats my lil sucky update. Oh and btw I might be able to get to work on a ground sword soon too seeing as how I'm out in the country now and have some room to work. Dunno if I will start it yet or not cuz we just moved in this last weekend but I'll start a thread if I do.

19. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Ooh, living with the in-laws. My condolences :D

20. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Pictures?