Scythes In Real Life

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by silver.kin, Feb 21, 2017.

1. silver.kin

silver.kin silver.kin

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'm a huge scythe fanatic and they are seemingly an amazing weapon. In anime and games they are usually powerful and great weapons. But in real life I think they would be quite difficult to use. If would take an immense amount of speed and strength to actually weild one because of the blade on only one side throwing you off balance. Does anyone else agree scythes are a bad real life weapon without proper training? Or would they still be ok in real life?

2. JNC

JNC New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    They are not really good fighting weapons since they were devised to be agricultural tools. Modern sycthes have a twisted shaft that ends in a sharp beak pointing to the left, with two handles from which you grip the scythe so that you can cut grass as you pull the scythe's head with sideways movements. You can certainly cause injuries with a scythe, but the fact they have a twisted shaft and a head pointing to the left make it very hard to align the head in order to deliver a cut. Now, there is a book by Paulus Hector Mair that shows a somewhat different kind of scythe in his exotic weapon plays: their shafts are not twisted, and their heads point forward -we must remember this particular book was made for a nobleman, and perhaps he was just trying to impress him with some techniques that could be applied with this weapon, which could nevertheless still be effective.
    Yet the fact that there is so little evidence of scythes being used as battefield weapons tells us that scythes were not seen as very useful weapons. You might be able to defend yourself, true, and even adapt it a little for combat situations as a polearm, but most people would turn to a spear, an axe or a sword if they had to fight.
    The story is different with the Japanese kama, which has a scythe-like appearance but is basically used as a one handed sickle. This weapon has been incorporated into a few eastern martial arts systems, and it has been used as an improvised weapon by farmers during the Middle Ages in some Asian countries.

3. Thorald

Thorald New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think peasants frequently used scythes during peasant rebellions. But they would realign the blade on the scythe to make it point forward which would make it way more usable as a weapon, like JNC described. I actually used a war scythe in a book that I wrote, you can buy it on Amazon, its called 'Exploits of a War Party from Seraph'Ithil'.

4. ConanB

ConanB New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A classic scythe is nearly unusable in a regular combat. Peasants tuned their agricultural tools during 15th century hussite wars so their scythe looked like this:
    [​IMG]
    Such weapon could do its work then.

5. Thorald

Thorald New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That looks more like specially crafted weapon. Peasants not always had opportunity to have specially crafted weapons so sometimes they had to make use what they already had.

This one that you brought called Glaive Glaive - Wikipedia It is indeed very useful weapon that was even used by professionals.