Science in Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by kartaron, Apr 19, 2004.

1. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I know that SW isnt based on techno babble like other Sci Fi coughtrekcough but I noticed that Han says the M Falcon reaches .5 past light speed at one point. Even in a dense galaxy that means years between stars. It always bothers me when I watch it.

Are there any other examples of this?

Oh, and for the record the bigger ships (star destroyers specifically) must be a lot faster since they reached Lando and set up a deal before Han could get there.

2. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    If you remember the MF's hyperdrive was out of commission, that's why they went into the asteroid field and then did the "float away with the garbage" trick after taking the run at the Star Destroyer. Since they were being tailed by by Boba Fett, he probably alerted the Empire, who then had plenty of time to get to Bespin. It's deceiving how much time actually passed; don't forget that Luke was going through his Jedi training on Dagobah, the actual timeframe was a little longer than a few days.

3. Kal-EL

Kal-EL New Supes costume sucks

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    The problem with this is that we do not what unit measurement ".5" is used with. It may not sound like much to us but we really have no basis for comparison.

IMHO .5 must be pretty fast, in the SW universe it's possible literally travel across the galaxy even with an old ship like the Millenium Falcon. Now just for comparison, in the Star Trek universe they use a system which basically states that they travel at many times the speed of light when at warp, however, their ship do not ever travel across the galaxy as far as SW ships generally do.

So I just think it's a matter of terminology and perspective. If someone could explain how hyperdrive is supposed to work and which unit of measurement applies then we could make a better estimate of how fast .5 is.

But I will say this, if light travels at 186,000 miles per second(which it does) .5 cannot possibly mean 279,000 miles per second, as fast as that is it's still not even fast enough to visit many of the star systems close to our own, let alone the enitre galaxy.

4. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Actually, Star Trek itself has a discrepency between TOS and TNG, the way they decided to express the "number" changed.

"Technically", although this is kind of nitpicking, "warp speeds" are measured on an exponential scale, and also is related to the energy level of the warp field.

Check this site out : Warp Scale

5. Kal-EL

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Right Sky.

They made writing errors in TOS which didnt seem to make sense in TNG so they developed a new warp scale and explained it so that it actually made sense in the ST universe. I mean, how the hell could the original NCC-!1701 go to warp 13?!!

This is why they decided to use a different warp scale, if they hadnt done that the current ships would prolly be travelling at Warp 20+, seems a little silly.

This is a little off topic, but I wonder which scale the new Enterprise series is using.

6. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I think Han actually says ".5 past light". This could mean something besides 1.5 times the speed of light, but I dont think they thought it through. To move at something reasonable for a human lifespan I think 250x the speed of light is needed. Rough calculations make that 10 days from Earth to Alpha Centauri.

7. Kal-EL

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I tend to agree.

They need a much better explanation as well, but we prolly will not get clairification on this from the movies, perhaps the many comics and books will have some leads.

8. curunir's bane

curunir's bane Kwisatch Haderach

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I always noticed that whenever the star destroyers were destroyed by the jedi in ROTJ, they always started to FALL, DOWN in space, which i don't think would happen. But i guess we have to suspend our belief.

9. Turgon883

Turgon883 New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Here is a better explanation:

Hyperdrive's are rated by "classes"; and the lower the class, the faster the hyperdrive is. In the starwars universe...it is normal for Class 3 or higher to be on civilian ships...However the majority of military ships have Class 2 or 1. Ships like the milenium falcon are very exceptional...The Falcon's hyperdrive is Class 0.5....Another example of an extremely fast hyperdrive is Dash Rendar's Class 0.75 on the Outrider...

SO in summary hyperdrives are rated by classes and the lower the class the faster the ship's hyperdrive.

10. Turgon883

Turgon883 New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    First of all:
    Only a handfull of Star Destroyer's were showed being destroyed on screen...The main one that you remember is likely the Super Star Destroyer that crashed into the death star. Also remember that the jedi were virtually non-existence at the battle of endor....there were two sith lords and luke skywalker who at the time was only a partially trained jedi...(there were also yoda and kenobi's spectral forms in "existence" but they don't appear during the battle of endor...)

I believe the reason the Star Destroyers seemed to "fall down" is that their engines and "power drives" were offline/destroyed...so lacking sufficent power to keep themselves in "orbit" they were pulled into the death star due to the death star's gravitational pull...

11. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    "so lacking sufficent power to keep themselves in "orbit" they were pulled into the death star due to the death star's gravitational pull..."

I agree with that, It leads to another discussion about how dense the core and structure of the station would have to be if it has a real gravitational field. It is also possible that the ship was being pulled toward Endor and the Death Star was just in the way.

The hyperdrive class system makes sense too

12. Turgon883

Turgon883 New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I don't know how dense the core and structure of the Death Star are...but remember that it must have some sort of gravitational pull since people live in it, and walk around in it without wearing spacesuits and floating around...it makes sense to me that most spacebound ships and spacestations (death star, mon cal cruisers, star destroyers, the falcon, ect....) would have some form of artificial gravity...though the gravitational pull might be slightly different depending on the species using it.