Science and Religion

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Dark Lord Sauron, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Jendra

Jendra Jendra

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    An excellent point. Honestly, I don't think either one can stand alone.

2. Sorcha

Sorcha Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Oh I forgot to post after I deleted those posts. Anymore Catholic bashing and this thread will be closed.

3. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Well I was thinking yesterday and if you want a good comparisson about choice, I'll give you one

simple and that's love...do you have the choice to love someone...no, cause you may choose to go out with someone who might be the cutest guy you ever met (or girl), but you can't choose to love him, only maybe to long for him, but that's not love. Love is also triggered by emotions and is also a chemical reaction in your brain.

That is very likely how the Godcentre works. If a Christian is forced to become a muslim, because the law says incase you want to marry a muslim you have to be a muslim too, the choice is clear you want to be a muslim to marry..., but does that mean you believe in Allah, no you still believe in the Christian God, even if you chose to become a muslim.

It all depends on influence in what you believe, same with love...the influence on your brain will determine if you're gonna love the person or not.

4. Dark Lord Sauron

Dark Lord Sauron Lord of Middle Earth

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    It could be argued that you have the choice whether or not to pursue "true love". It is possible to turn away. So, although the love itself may not be a choice, it can be ignored (or almost ignored), which amounts to the same thing.

Also, this is not a religion or science "bashing" thread!!! So please refrain from doing either. Read my first post before you (being anyone new to the discussion) jump into the debate!

5. Jendra

Jendra Jendra

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    How, with no physical contact with the other person, does one's brain determine to love the other person? That really doesn't make any sense, because I loved my boyfriend long before I ever hugged him or held his hand.

Likewise with God. A human is not all brain and organ and tissue, there's something inside the body that things like love and faith come from. The soul.

6. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    I never said physical contact was necessary to trigger love...I said it depence on influence, whether it's physcical or not.

7. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Yes, you can choose to ignore love afterall love isn't always mutual, so you don't have a choice but to ignore it, but still it stays a choice, but that stil doesn't disprove my point. You are in love and you did not choose for it.

And how am I being bashing on science or relgion?

8. Harbringer

Harbringer New Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I bet you are Catholic yourself, aren't you?

9. Sorcha

Sorcha Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I'm not even Christian. Nice try though. I don't tolerate ignorant comments, especially rude ones. Consider yourself warned.

10. Dark Lord Sauron

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    This was not meant for you specifically, but for the entire discussion group. Love, however, is more of a force than a choice. You cannot choose if it will rain today, or if a meteor will fall from the sky into your house. "Free will" does not mean one has the will to control everything, but that they are able to choose what to do with whatever confronts them. You can choose what to do if confronted by love, so you have free will in that instance.

11. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    well that's the same with belief isn't it...you can choose what to do if you believe in God...you can choose to be a good person, or to ignore it...you still believe in God, but you don't let it control your life.

12. Jendra

Jendra Jendra

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Free will, then.

13. Harbringer

Harbringer New Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I don't tolerate ignorant people.

14. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    I never said that the God Centre takes your free will away completely, but it does partially. Otherwise you could choose to believe or not. Whatever you do with your belief is your choice, that IS free will.

15. Dark Lord Sauron

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Certainly belief is a choice, you can choose whether or not to believe just as you can choose what to do with that belief. As for faith in God "controlling your life", well, if you truly believe in anything it exerts some control over your life. Take an essential conversion unit in chemistry, the mole. I believe that in the the number of grams of any given element which equals that element's atomic mass, there are exactly 6.02 x 10 ^23 atoms of that element. This exerts control over all sorts of calculations in chemistry.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2007