Science and Religion

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Dark Lord Sauron, Jan 17, 2007.

1. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    Just dropping into the 'discussion' to add a few observations:

You are all debating the topic by offering meaningless, unproveable 'proofs'. On the creation side there is no proof that a divine being or beings exist. The instituitional churches have for centuries turned their best intellects, which I would humbly suggest are collectively greater than ours, to the subject and the theologians have not been able to prove it, just offer theories. On the evolution side the picture is incomplete and based on 'best' hypothesis based on current scientific thinking. These are themselves updated or discarded as new parts of the puzzle are added.

They could both end up being correct if science uncovers an external agent helping the process along. Science may prove eventually that creation / evolution naturally occured without a God. Failing that God may pop in and pay humanity a visit and those who were predisposed to the concept of God would rightly say 'I told you so'. I suspect that neither will happen in our lifetimes.

For those who have faith ~ great. You clearly believe that an external being brings meaning and a sense of fufilment and peace to your lives. Thats fine, I for one certainly dont have an issue with that. For those who don't have faith ~ again great you've found this sense of wellbeing from within and from those other material beings who you share your lives with, without the need to create or accept a divine being to explain it. (Before anyone raises it yes of course those of faith also draw strength etc from others).

There ends the sermon according to St Elladan the Unbeliever ~ whose finite time on this Earth has been eroded by wasting my time posting this post :D

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  2. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    You can claim you don't believe in God anymore, but deep inside you still do...like me...like I stated before. I've learned a lot that contradicts the existance of God but deep inside I know I can't deny that there is a small possibility that there is one. Both were not my choice.

Sorry...I don't recall me saying that...If I did then maybe it's a writing error, cause like I said you can't choose by yourself to believe, you can make choices about your belief, but not about belief itself. You either believe or you don't and mostly it's not by choice.

3. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I don't think anyone can positively say that God doesn't exist. That's why there's still a debate going on.

Just because you think it's possible doesn't mean you actually believe in it.

4. Harbringer

Harbringer New Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I used to believe in God because I didn't even think about it, I grew up and now I just can't even try to believe in it.. I just can't do it.

Oh well, I have never done anything bad to deserve to go to Hell, so if by simply not believing gets me a ticket to hell, than theres something wrong with your god.

5. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    That's true, Bard, I'm personally not convinced there's a deity but science hasn't proven that there isn't either.

And yes, the burden of proof is on religion to prove there's a God, but the whole point of religion is to rely on faith...and science hasn't explained the origin of the universe entirely either, yet the very nature of science requires proof...

This could be a long debate ;).

6. Harbringer

Harbringer New Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I don't think science will ever be able to prove that there is no God.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2007
  7. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure...I can't see it being proved anytime soon, but there are so many proofs we take for granted now that would have been completely out of touch to someone hundreds of years ago...maybe the same will happen here. I'm not holding my breath though.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2007
  8. Jendra

Jendra Jendra

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    The Catholic Church says a lot of stuff that I don't agree with. Like their doctors in the Middle Ages...*rolls eyes*

I'm still curious as to how believing God is not a choice. I think it is.

9. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    I'm not gonna debate on the "choice" issue anymore..I'm a bit tired of it of making tons of comparissons and trying to explain why it isn't by choice. I think I have proven my point as best as I could, and if you still disagree, be my guest.

10. Jendra

Jendra Jendra

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Well, it's just that you didn't really back it up all that well.

11. Dwimmerlaik

Dwimmerlaik Captain of Despair

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ^ exactly, anakin, your analogies were good, just no links to sites that have tested it.

imho, its a choice. you can come to it, or turn away from it.

12. Harbringer

Harbringer New Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I just don't like how the Catholics think they can say stuff in the name of god, thats wrong because they have never talked with god.

13. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Well there have been tests, and Padmé showed links about the godcentre but one can only speculate and further research will indicate what the God centre is. it was not my choice (ironic) to start about this anyway..as I dont believe in God, I certainly dont believe he placed the Godcentre in our brain, so it does not matter to me if he took your free will away or not...But I think if that if he did put it there...then he partially did (not that I only said partially and not completely) you know my opinion...I know yours...so that is the end of the debate of free will...but there's lots of other things to debate about.

14. Dwimmerlaik

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    and can you prove this? ilya, just stop being religionist, i dont see you saying anything about any other form of christianity or judism, or islam.

15. Harbringer

Harbringer New Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Ok, you don't, you are right, and? Whats your point?

16. Jendra

Jendra Jendra

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Be diverse in your criticism. :)

17. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    I have to say, if I had to choose between catholicism or Christianity, I would choose christianity...but since I don't believe in God I luckily don't have to choose between both

18. Dark Lord Sauron

Dark Lord Sauron Lord of Middle Earth

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I did not start this thread to debate which view (science or religion) held all the answers. I don't believe either do. For instance, science has little to offer in the way of moral guidance and religion has little in the way of quantifiable data. It is difficult to argue that either one is mutualy exclusive and the sole source of true knowledge. I am merely curious whether or not you (collectively) think science and religion are compatible or not.

19. Dwimmerlaik

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    anakin, catholicism is a part of christianity. you mean, that you would be protestant?

20. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Or non-denominational.