Science and Religion

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Dark Lord Sauron, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Jendra

Jendra Jendra

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Yes it is. Ever had a longing for say...a milkshake? You can choose to answer yes or no to that longing. That's free will.

2. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    actually no...if you have a longing for a milkshake that means the body says yes, although the mind could say no due to logical sense.

So the God centre says yes there is a God while your logic sense makes you doubt maybe (just an example)

3. Jendra

Jendra Jendra

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    That's still free will; it's the fact that you can choose that is what makes it free will.

4. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    actually no, cause the comparison isnt right. If that God centre is triggered you have no choice but to believe...It's like a computer program...Once its installed...lets just say its very hard to delete it...and you said yourself that God probably installed it there..so thats not free will...

5. Jendra

Jendra Jendra

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Well, you're choosing not to believe, aren't you?

6. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    no its not choice...lets say that that computer program isnt installed with me...it was deleted:)

7. Jendra

Jendra Jendra

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Or maybe it was never accessed...by choice.

8. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    No...see the other comparisson did make a bit sense. If you are on a diet you're longing for food, but your logic sense tells you not to eat. So that's two parts of your brain in conflict. You indeed choose not to eat, but you're still longing for it.

In my case I also longed for God a little because I was raised catholic, but in time when I learned more about the universe and other aspects. My logic sense is almost convinced that there is no God, but my God centre did get triggered which was not my choice, that is why I dont exclude the possibilty that there is a God, but my logic sense says that it is very unlikely.

9. Dwimmerlaik

Dwimmerlaik Captain of Despair

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    anakin, your example isnt any good. i know people who went to chruch, believed in God, and now dont. so they removed it themselves..

10. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Well something must have driven them to not believe in God anymore, but I dont believe that...I think they do still believe in God...they just think its like me very unlikely...once its triggered its hard to replace, and I also know someone who "replaced" it...strangely enough with witchcraft. And my comparission makes perfect sense, you just have a problem with accepting it...

11. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I replaced it with nothing. I just don't believe like I used to. It's as simple as that.

12. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    I also didnt replace it with something else...I just used my logic sense, that doesnt mean I'm saying, religious people don't have logic sense...but their logic thinking is different then ours.

13. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I see what you mean.

14. Sorcha

Sorcha Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Paganism is actually far more compatible with reason and science. Yes it suprised me too :p but the truth is that I guess because it's more earth centered, pagans are more likely to accept the natural world.

15. Dark Lord Sauron

Dark Lord Sauron Lord of Middle Earth

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    You cannot delete a part of your brain. Also, as long as you are able to choose between believing in God and not believing in Him, you have free will. Simply because one choice is more inticing than another does not mean one is unable to select the other choice. Your argument makes no sense.

16. Dark Lord Sauron

Dark Lord Sauron Lord of Middle Earth

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Not really, I do not believe there is any conflict between Christianity and science. I have a full reasoning for this in the first posts of this thread.

17. Jendra

Jendra Jendra

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I accept the natural world...I think it's beautiful. I love mountains, and I love being in water. I believe God created it, though, and made it beautiful.

18. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Yes you cant delete a part of your brain but thats not what I said in my comparisson. I compared the Godcentre as the hardware, and the religious influence as the software, cause the human brain is afteral a biological computer. And I said that its the software that triggers it. But yeah God doesnt install the software (which I did say, my mistake). That depends on environment, education and other aspects. But can you tell me that as a child you had the choice not to be raised catholic, or muslim...in how many cases and a lot in America it seems you grow u in a religious family, and that is where for a great part "the software" comes from. So you didn't choose to be raised in a religious family, but as a child all that influence triggers the God Centre and often, not always it stays triggered which keeps you believing in him.

I'm telling you if you stop believing in God, that is not your choice. I've seen people stop believing because of very dramatic events and that they have the feeling God abandoned them. Tell me is that their choice that such a traumatic event occurs? And like I said these events happen but are rare. When people convert they do it for a reason that has nothing to do with choice, and even if it was a matter of choice. Let's just say its because of legal terms. A guy who is a christian and a girl who is a muslim are not allowed to marry, because its the law that they cant marry. Even if that christian guy converts to muslims, to marry that girl, do you think his believe in christianity is gone? No he still believes that the christian God is the only God. He can't change that, because its not a matter of choice.

And even if God doesn't trigger the God Centre himself he obviously (if he did...) put it their so that it would be triggered. And by doing so he already took a part of your free will away. I never chose to believe in God, but because I was raised catholic I still have a little part in me left that doesnt want to exclude the existance of God, and to me that is really a burden. And like I said, it was not my choice...

19. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    At the end of the day, debating over science on religion is kinda pointless..... It's like a football fan and a basketball fan both arguing over what 3 points means..... They are both playing entirely different sports. All you can do is try to learn from eachother

Religion has to be observed for what it really is..... About individual needs.

Just as with music, the point of music is not in the lyrics or the notes..... It's the emotion it creates, it is the feeling it provides. Music is not about Yellow Submarines or Strawberry Fields, these are merely details.....

And as with religion, this is the same.... The point is not about Jesus, Muhammad, Buddah, Aliens etc...... the point of religion is salvation, self preservation, protection. The details of religions are different, but if you stand back and observe all of them..... You can see they are all stretching out to achieve the same goal....

And before Jesus and Muhammad etc, the goals were the exact same from religion.... Coincidence? I think not

We've been speaking of those who believe in Creationism..... But really it's Creationisms.... Plural..... there are many of these theories, whether it's the Christian belief, the Aboriginal "Dream Time" belief and so forth.

These ideas were created thousands of years ago, but because thousands of years ago, the people then did not have the technology to percieve how the world they inhabitted was formed. But they are still followed today..... And not only that, new ones are being created all the time. Scientology being a perfect example. A very new religion, but very successful. And they also believe in the "soul" being immortal, and that we are the products of aliens etc etc ...... it's the same product as Christianity, Islam etc.... Just with a different box.....

20. Jendra

Jendra Jendra

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

You can't choose a traumatic event, true, but you can choose to stop believing.

How can you not choose to believe in God, and at the same time it not be your choice? o_O.
    That doesn't really make sense, yet that's what you said.