Scenes most missed from the movie

Discussion in 'Movies' started by jeremiah.l.burns, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Miriel

Miriel My Preciousss

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Yeah, he probably would have just made a lot of people unhappy. At least, a lot of people who weren't fans of the books wold be anyways

2. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    My guess is the dagger he got from Galadriel.

3. Miriel

Miriel My Preciousss

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    either that or the sword he got from Aragorn at the beginning of FOTR

4. Glaurung

Glaurung Getting families together

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I missed the start of the Anduril/Aragorn king in exile story in Bree. Aragorn SHOULD have had narsil and pulled out the hilt as in the story. I also think that whilst Arwen being superimposed over Glorfindel may have been necessary, I would still have liked to have seen this Eldar Lord in all his glory at the ford, and not just Arwen muttering a few lines of Elvish.

5. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Actually, PJ gave a fantastic explination as to why he chose for Aragorn not having Narsil in that point in the story. As you may guess, Tolkien himself never fully describes exactly how large the broken hilt of Narsil is, nor how many pieces she was broken into. Whatever it may be, PJ felt that for a movie-going audience, especially for any who haven't read the books, this moment where Strider/Aragorn pulls out the hilt of Narsil would have seemed comical, rather than dramatically serious as it was supposed to be. This was not an effect PJ wished, so he was forced to give Aragorn his "Ranger Sword" which you've all now become familiar with.

As for Glorfindel, I don't particlularly miss his presence in the Flight to the Ford scene, what I rather miss was the deperate feeling of alone-ness and singularity the moment held for me in the book. Because, as you'll remember, Frodo rode on ahead, and at the moment he was facing the Nazgul from the other side of the river, he was totally alone.

6. Glaurung

Glaurung Getting families together

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I understand PJ's reasoning behind the exclusion, I just feel that it could have been introduced in a way that wasn't comical.
    Also whilst Frodo was alone at the ford, Glorfindel's power was revealed as he took his true form. Perhaps a little could have been added about Gandalf's horsey inclusions to the flood as well!

7. celebrimor

celebrimor Elven Jewel-smith

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i loved the part when gimli gets a lock of galadriel's hair.. i dunno if its in the extended DVD but if it is im so haopopy

8. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Yes, it's in there.

Legolas asks Gimli what his gift was.

"I asked for a single strand of hair from her golden head. She gave me three."

9. Curufeanor

Curufeanor Master Noldori Elvensmith

The Halls of Mandos in Valinor, on my throne where
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well then see The Two Towers extended (dont ask me why they decided to do it this way, they just did), when Pip and Merry drink the Ent-Draughts, they lay down, suddenly overcome with sleepiness under old man willow. And tree-beard comes along and does the part of Tom Bombadil.

As for the passage of time, they could have told us that Gandalf was gone for like 17 years when he left Frodo during Bilbo's party.

And finally, Merry lost his Noldori Dagger to Grishnak while fleeing into Fangorn. And who said the swords that Aragorn gave the hobbits weren't of Westernesse build? He IS, afterall, a Dunedain Ranger himself. And yes, Merry's Westernesse blade is used on the WitchKing of Angmar.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2004
  10. Aenónar

Aenónar Elf of Arda Tauréndor

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I would love to see the full prologue, preferably a 3 hour long one :p

11. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    So you'd like to see something in the way of passages taken from The Silmarillion &/or The Book of Lost Tales?

12. Meldawen

Meldawen New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I agree. I was just thinking about the time spans myself during the last few days.

It actually took 17 days for the fellowship to get Frodo to Rivendale after being stabbed on Weathertop (not to mention the fact that Arwen does not bring him, he actually is on a horse all by himself and it's the horse gets him safely to Rivendale, and the water horses come down on the Nazgul on their own the moment the Nazgul step into the water) instead of the 6 or days you think it might be when you watch the movies. And how from the time that Bilbo left the Shire to live with the Elves and the end of the ROTK where Frodo, Bilbo, Gandalf and Galadriel get on the ship to leave, was 19 years. At Bilbo's birthday party at the beginning of the FOTR he is celebrating his 111th Birthday, then when he leaves Middle-Earth he's 130 years old.

The movie makes it look like Frodo had the ring maybe a couple of weeks before leaving the Shire and then I kinda wondered why Frodo was much more easily affected by the ring than Bilbo, who had the ring for 60 years. But then I remembered from the books that Frodo owned the ring for a few years before leaving the shire and so it's affect on Frodo (coupled with Sauron's gathering strength) could affect Frodo in that way.

13. frodogurl49

frodogurl49 Jedi Sabermistress

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    two words: Tom Bombidil.

14. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Some excellent points!! I've always wondered about the timelines myself, but in actuality, they work quite well for the movie. As for the One Ring affecting Frodo more than Bilbo, they mention specifically that it was "Bilbo's innocence" that saved him. Frodo, knowing the origins and true ability of the One Ring wasn't innocent in that sense, and was easier corrupted. Bilbo thought of it as no more than a play thing...a trinket that he couldn't let go of. But your thoughts about Sauron's rising power probably had a great deal to do with it as well.

15. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I missed three scenes
    The fireworks on Weathertop when gandalf meets with a few of the Ringwraiths, when Galdalf holds the door in the minds of moria and the balrog almost breaks his will (shattering the door), and Bilbo singing his songs for aragorn and frodo in Rivendell

16. Aenónar

Aenónar Elf of Arda Tauréndor

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The evening party in Rivendell (I love the elves :) I wanted te hear their songs :( )

17. Vagaran

Vagaran Swordsman of the King

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I haven't seen it mentioned, but I missed the arrival of the Dunedain and the sons of Elrond to the company that traveled the passes of the dead and arrived at the battle of the Pelenor fields. I guess you can also add to this the other princes who fought for Minas Tirith in those battles. Technically, the dead never fought that battle and it was Aragorn's arrival with his forces that helped turn the tide of the battle. I understand Jackson's limitations, but it made the whole thing seem a little too easy.

18. isengard111

isengard111 The Master Chief

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Aenonar
    "I would love to see the full prologue, preferably a 3 hour long one"

Wouldn't that be a whole other movie? Maybe if we get a petition going, PJ can do a film about the Second Age and the Last Alliance.

19. boromir_the_ranger

boromir_the_ranger Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    he should like isengard said it would be awsome to see elves fight orcs for three hours long

20. Child of a Pineapple

Child of a Pineapple Echo Design & Camera God

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I think Pippin should have been crushed by the troll at the Black Gates, even though I love him and would cry if that did happen. Still, it should have been in there.