Scene from The Seers' War Part One: The Weaving of the Web

Discussion in 'Original Works' started by Black Tattoo, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Black Tattoo

Black Tattoo The Corruptor

Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    I just wanted to share one of my favorite scenes with you from “The Seers’ War” Part One: The Weaving of the Web! :)

“Good morrow, my good friend!”
    Smirking with enough confidence that it literally spilled over into the room, Iefan ripped open the heavy drapes over Axel’s bedroom windows letting in a blast of hot air and a blinding brilliance that had the dwarf scrambling for cover and falling out of bed in the process.
    “What on the Sacred Stones do you want this early in the morning?” he grumbled under the pillow he had pressed to his face.
    “It’s nearly noon and I have a very important favor to ask.”
    The dwarf mumbled something unintelligible that sounded halfway between a blessing and a curse and climbed out of bed. For a moment, Iefan watched him stumble blindly around with the pillow still pressed to his eyes.
    “Three feet to your left,” he remarked, guessing the chamber pot was the goal of his desperate search. “And two feet forward.”
    Axel followed the directions exactly and sighed with relief when his foot bumped the porcelain container, rattling the lid.
    “Anyway,” Iefan went on, as if the events were perfectly normal in the course of a day. “This is something of the utmost secrecy.”
    Forced to set the pillow down in order to untie his pants and aim, Axel turned eyes squinted so thinly they might as well have been closed in the ambassador’s general direction.
    “That goes without saying.”
    “Granted. What would you say to a jaunt about the city?”
    “Do I look like someone who ‘jaunts’ anywhere?”
    “Yes, you do.”
    “Humph!” Finished with the necessary business of relieving himself, Axel stumbled to the washstand and proceeded to clean himself up from the night’s debauchery. “So what exactly is this secret task of yours?”
    “Lady Morgan is outside the castle walls.”
    “And…?”
    “That’s just it. She’s away from court and the king. With the exception of her Defender, she’s on her own. This might be our only good chance to discover what kind of seer she truly is.”
    The dwarf sat down across from Iefan, careful to push the small plate of meat and cheese the ambassador had brought with him to the side while trying not to breathe in the delicious smells.
    “If you’re so interested in her, why don’t you go following her around”
    “I’m not interested in her. I’m interested in what she can do for me. And if she’s not willing to aid Diemwnt, should we require her services, then it would be prudent to know something about the woman who may prove a potential problem for us on the battlefield. Don’t you agree?”
    It went without saying that the City Watch assigned to the embassy were keeping an eye on the ambassador as well as the buildings. He couldn’t go ten feet from the main gate without them zeroing in. Otherwise, he would have gladly spent an hour or two observing the beautiful seer.
    “I’ve got such a damn headache I barely followed that…but I get the gist of it.”
    “All I want you to do is watch her.”
    “And if she happens to notice an attendant of the Diemwnt ambassador following her around? I won’t fight Josse. Not for you, not for anyone.”
    “You won’t have to. She’s in the marketplace, apparently out for a bit of shopping. It’s a very public place where she’d have no need to feel threatened enough to send her bodyguard after you.”
    “You put a lot of stock in the hope that she’s nothing like Brynmor. That madman ordered Josse to kill me because he didn’t like anyone under five feet in height. I was damn near cleaved in two.”
    “And yet, here you are,” Iefan remarked with a smile, pouring a goblet of iced water into a cup. Handing it to Axel, he poured another for himself. “More than a decade later, still in one piece and still friends with the Defender of the Seer.”
    “It’s his job to obey the Royal Seer. I don’t hold it against him.”
    “Of course not. You’re a dwarf. You value loyalty and friendship above all else.” Iefan motioned across the table between them with his goblet. “And you expect the same in return.”
    He didn’t need to say anything more. He and Axel had shed blood together. They each knew the other to be a man of honor, if each in his own way.
    “I’ll see what I can find out.”
    “I appreciate it.” Getting up, the dwarf started for the door and Iefan rose to follow him, plate of foodstuffs in hand. “Don’t you want some breakfast?”
    “No!”
    Laughing , he popped a rolled piece of meat and cheese into his mouth and closed the door behind them.

• Like Like x 1
  2. grumpycroc

grumpycroc Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    This really is a nice, disgusting, little scene. If I may say, you kind of have a knack for them. Good writing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Black Tattoo

Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, Grumpycroc. :p

4. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +329 / 1 / -0
    really really good. though i need new glasses.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Black Tattoo

Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, Jim!

Hopefully you'll get some new glasses soon;)

6. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +329 / 1 / -0
    i doubt it, @Moo Guru has been trying to get me to get new glasses for over 2 yrs

7. Black Tattoo

Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    Well, maybe, third time's the charm? :D