SCA Armor/Weapons!

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Alchemist, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Where is a good site to go to for finding and purchasing SCA armor and Weapons. I am interested in both light and heavy fighting, and it depends on cost as to which one I pursue first.
    So...let the replies come forth!

2. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Well, as noone has come forward with anything. I got some fabric and am having a student at the costume shop in the theatre building make my light armor.

3. Shiryu

Shiryu Warrior

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  4. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    PM Senekha, she's a heavy fighter.

Armour can be as cheap and nasty or as expensive as you like. Some people use plastic armour, most use leather and steel, and some pay thousands for fully custom made suits of museum quality armour. Because the SCA is very inclusive of time periods, it can be all sorts of styles or materials.

Figure out how much money you have. Then spend all of it :D

Rattan (cane) for weapons isn't very expensive. Leather is not cheap though. Steel sheet is mnot expensive, but it takes skill to shape it.

Sen would be your best bet.

5. Christophe of Grey

Christophe of Grey Cordwainer to Royals

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Bokala Armory is a good site and vendor for SCA heavy weapons armor. Triplet Arms is a good vendor for light fighting (fencing) armor.

cog

6. Senekha

Senekha <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    Hey Alchy pm me if you're still interested in finding armour....I have connections ;) :p

7. ApollusVora

ApollusVora New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey all! I am new to this community and the SCA. I am currently collecting all the armor I will need for heavy combat. I have already acquired; a steel cuirass, pauldrons, a chainmail hauberk and coif, various arming wear, a gorget and gauntlets. I understand that not all these items were needed, but I kinda got overzealous. :) now if I am correct I still need a helmet, and protection for my knees. I also plan on eventually getting a shield. I have a couple questions.
    1. Is rattan the only authorized weapon or do some larp weapons qualify?
    2. my chainmail is long sleeved and so covers my elbow is this adequate protection or do i need more?
    3. I am having a lot of trouble in deciding on a helm (because I am not sure that the ones I am drawn to are allowed in heavy combat)
    4.most of my gear was acquired via medieval collectibles they have a pretty good selection and decent prices (I think) but are their any other good websites?
    Thanks you for your time!!

8. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    AppolusaVora,
    First off you should aquaint yourself with your kingdom's armor requirements. If you pass your kingdom you should be good for the large wars, Pennsic, Gulf Wars, Estrella, etc. The minimum requirements are helmet, gorget, hard elbows and knees, and groin protection. For ladies they must have hard brest protection. Hard can be plastic, leather or metal. Chainmail is not considered hard protection as it gives when struck, particularly with blunt weapons, i.e. ratan. Currently none of the LARP weapons are acceptable. The only weapons allowed that I know of that are not ratan are fiberglass poles/rods used for spears. All swords and pikes must be ratan. This includes things such as daggers and hand axes. As for style of helm that depends to a large degree on two things. 1 - your persona and how accurate you want to attempt to be. 2 - the activity you are choosing and the required visibility. i.e. a combat archer needs much better visibility than a heavy fighter. Finally, in purchasing gear on-line be sure there is a money back guarentee. There is some armor out there that looks good but will not pass SCA inspection/requirements. This stuff isn't cheap so get good stuff that lasts. As for an armorer that fits that bill I would recommend Bokalo's Armory. He has a web site. Bokalo is out of Florida, has been a fighter for a very long time and makes very good, very reasonably priced armor.

9. ApollusVora

ApollusVora New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Awesome thank you very much! I will definately check him out. With the helmets the problem i have is a prefer things similar to a maximillian style, a close helm,or a burgonet, and I am worried these styles might not meet requiremtents any advice?

10. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Definitely the easiest way is to talk to fighters in your kingdom! They will know all the suppliers in your area.
    And mail is good against cutting blows but fairly useless against blunt weapons, so think about rigid armour unless you are also dealing with thrusting. Then perhaps mail and padding will help, but otherwise, it's a lot of weight for almost no benefit against rattan.

11. ApollusVora

ApollusVora New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Definately true about the chainmail. my friends and I started larping when we were young but as we got older and could begin to finance our fantasies (lol) we moved on to armor and used the cored larp weapons at full contact. So I am no stranger to the pros and cons of the fighting aspect. it is just the SCA rules I am slowly figuring out. :)
    I know this next question will depend largely on my kingdom (western by the way) but my pauldrons have decently high swordbreakers (about just under cheek level) in your experience have the games been accepting of these as a blocking device or should a weapons contact to the swordbreaker result in my being "killed"? also i have seen no rigid rules regarding sabatons do you think they arre necessary or mainly just an aesthetic piece?

12. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    From what I've read, blows from the knee down are illegal everywhere in SCA. On the other hand, accidents happen and broken toes are never good.

13. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I have seen many on the battle field with those "wings" on their shoulders that would prevent a blow to the neck. The best advice I could offer as to whether or not they count as saving you from a kill at the neck is to ask fighters in your area. Same goes for the helm. However do consider that a close helm, as with a pig face or the like, while exceptionally period for jousting, seriously restrict your visibility. Not being able to see on the battle field rapidly converts you into a moving pell!

The other comment about legal hits and armor for is correct. In the SCA if you get hit on the arm between shoulder to finger tip, that arm is considered cut off and you can not use it. If you are hit between the hip and knee your leg just got cut off and you must fall to your knees and fight from there. Realize that a melee tactic is to leg as many of the foe as you can then simply run on to kill or leg others. Once on your knees you don't have the mobility of one on both feet. Hits below the knee are illegal but do happen. Not very often will you get hit on the foot. Instead what happens is some dude about 350 before armor, steps on your foot. Pretty much the same result as being hit only it hurts way more! Any hit from the top of your helm to your waist on the body is a killing blow. Some marshals demand that you fall down to acknolwedge the blow, others will simply allow to acknowledge the blow and walk off the field.

The bottom line to stay alive on the battle field and in the fun is visibility and mobility. Think of these two factors when armoring yourself.

14. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    So true. You can't fight if you can't see, and you can't defend yourself if you can't see what's coming!
    If you're not facing a lance or an arrow, you want as much visibility and openness to your face as you can get, while still being protected from melee weapons.

It also makes it a helluva lot easier to breathe :)

15. Tamzen

Tamzen New Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    In the SCA it's very important that things be as historically correct as possible. So you need to pick your 'persona' and research that deeply,and only then start to acquire items. Start by finding your local barony/whatever and talking to them a lot.

16. ApollusVora

ApollusVora New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Absolutely! I have my persona nailed down, Unfortuneately the only way to reach a member of my local barony is by phone (I am currently deployed overseas) which is why I am using this forum for help (you have all been VERY helpful by the way)

TWO MORE QUESTIONS!!!!
    1.I have seen heavy fighters on youtube videos wearing corinthian style greek helms, I had figured that without out modification (latices in the openings) these would not be allowed, am I correct or have I read the rules wrong, in the videos I cant get a clear enough view to tell.
    2. If I wanted a helmet that didnt have bars or lattices in front and instead had a full metal visor or bevor what kinds would you suggest? (persona aside)

17. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Um....not based on what I've seen from our local kingdom. There's some pretty cheap and nasty fabrics used in costumes, and the armour is functional but not necessarily based on historicla designs.

18. ApollusVora

ApollusVora New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mub, is that you in your profile pic?

19. OdayakanaRyu

OdayakanaRyu Calm Dragon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here in the outlands we have a saying for those in chain. "Either he is very new, Or he is very good."
    Chain as an armor was NOT built to stop a bashing weapon, such as what we use. It was to stop the cuts, and gutting of the sharper things. Chain is not a padded armor in the least, and you may well walk out naked (Or in the case of our lord Bran, with just a kidney belt.)

I myself use plastic barrels because they are cheap, and easy to build, as well as being almost exactly like waxed leather in function, weight, and look. You will need hard coverage over the knees and elbows. I suggest a metal, or plastic "C" shaped piece for both. you will know just how much it sucks to get hit there soon. And it dose.

The helm I would suggest you peruse many venues before grabbing one. Remember, the pointy ones like to give you a high blind spot, and the flat top ones like to invite weapons like a landing pad. ^.^ For a sight (If you don't mind wait time) Ashcraft baker. GREAT helms, good prices, takes for ever. but you will have the helm for a few years down the road.

20. OdayakanaRyu

OdayakanaRyu Calm Dragon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, for this (In my kingdom) the rule is, "If a sword, ax, spear, or any other weapon can touch your face through the helmet it's illegal. Now, if it were say... A kabuto, with one or two bars for eye protection and the mempo against your face... well have fun with that, hope you like pain.

As for full face protection... Go with a sugarloaf. Good glance surface on top, little heavy, and stuffy, but one of the betters. We have a guy that swears by it. As for myself, Kabuto. But those... you better have a VERY shiny penny for.

Search tags for this page

acceptable weapons for sca

buy sca kabuto
sca approved weapon sites
sca approved weapons
sca armor and weapons
sca armor merchants

sca armorers in florida

sca authorized weapons
sca corinthian visibility
sca fighting armor
sca heavy combat armor