Sc-Fi RPG Suggestion.

Discussion in 'RPG Theme Suggestions' started by The Chaos Engine, Jun 7, 2009.

1. The Chaos Engine

The Chaos Engine Grumpy Old Git

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Sci-Fi RPG Suggestion.

When Darkness Descends

Introduction:

Nu Corinth. The hub of the Galactic Empire.

A planet-city, every square foot covered in steel, chrome and concrete. For seven centuries it has been the bureaucratic centre of human civilisation, as well as being home to the continent-wide factories in which the Empire's starships are manufactured. Some have called it the beating heart of humanity, so vital is it to the species' survival.

Yet now that beating has stopped, threatening to bring chaos to the civilised worlds of the galactic rim.

For months there have been no transmissions from Nu Corinth. The thousands of satellites which circle in the skies above, relaying orders and information throughout the galaxy, have gone dead. The last picture, captured by an unmanned drone just before silence descended, shows the surface to be lifeless and shrouded in darkness.

In an effort to discover the truth, an expedition has set forth from Nu Earth: soldiers, scientists, engineers, have all been despatched on a journey into the heart of the mystery. What will they discover? Is there a rational reason why a planet containing three billion living souls should suddenly go quiet as the grave? A natural catastrophe, perhaps, such as plague or planet-quake? Or is there a more sinister explanation?

Guidelines:

1. The primary aim of this rpg is to provide a fun, well-paced adventure within a realistic SF environment. This being the case, all characters must be human. Players are free to apply their own gender and ethnicity to their characters, but there are no elves in this universe, no aliens, no cyborgs, and no supernatural agencies.

2. Magic (such as 'the Force') is not permitted, nor godlike capabilities (which only unbalance things to the nth degree). As a character advances in the story he/she may be fortunate enough to gain access to more powerful technology, but at no point will they be permitted to teleport themselves to safety at the first hint of danger or gun down legions with impunity.

3. The character classes available to players are as follows:
    1. Soldier.
    2. Scientist.
    3. Scout.
    4. Engineer.
    5. Anthropologist.
    Conversely, players may choose to play as an inhabitant of Nu Corinth, trying to work out what has gone wrong and survive in a society which has ceased to function.

4. As this is intended to be a narrative rpg, all posts should be third person, past tense.

5. Anyone is free to join (just sign up here), as long as they follow the above guidelines and are capable of making posts longer than a few sentences: six reasonably-sized paragraphs or around 30 lines are the minimum required; any less than that and the story becomes farcical and dull to read.

6. This is a serious rpg - if your character gets shot in the head they will die. Your character should therefore react in a rational way to the danger he/she faces; a run and gun style of character exposition will result in a swift demise imposed by me (yeah, I'm evil!).

7. As this is not being played in the manner of a traditional tabletop rpg, there's no need for character profiles. Choose your character's occupation from the above list. The rest should be fleshed out in your posts.

If enough people express an interest in joining I'll contact the Mods Almighty and get the ball rolling. If they don't, this idea will die on its arse – such is life.:p

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
    • Like Like x 1
  2. The4thMusketeer

The4thMusketeer New Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I'm in - sounds cool.

3. thesilentking

thesilentking Tiocfaidh ár lá!

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Count me in too.:)

4. I_Saw_Eden_Burn

I_Saw_Eden_Burn Moonchild

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I'm in - sounds interesting.

5. Furious Bunny

Furious Bunny Not actually a rabbit...

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I wanna piece of this - sounds more interesting than most of the rpgs around here.:)

6. Rob Darken

Rob Darken New Member

In the midst of the Celtic Winter, following the v
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I like the premise, very Aliensesque! Which is a good thing in my book. I am willing to have a go if it gets off of the ground even though Sc-fi is not my strong point.

7. The Chaos Engine

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Great! Welcome everyone!:draught:

Let's just give it a couple more days to see if anyone else wants to join. If not, we've got more than enough players to keep things interesting.

And Rob, you don't need to be a sci-fi nerd to take part - I'm not one myself.:) Just imagine Nu Corinth as a Blade-Runner-esque city which covers a planet - all the rest can be made up by yourself. I'll be doing a fair bit of improvising as I go.:D

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  8. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    count me in as well

9. The Chaos Engine

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Another one!:D

Well I've messaged Nienor about starting this thing up, so now it's simply a matter of waiting.:)

Also, feel free to make liberal use of NPCs. My original thoughts about the expedition were that it would contain close to a thousand individuals. At least half are military, for obvious reasons, the rest split among the other categories. Sometimes your primary character will reach a natural end with a post, and it can be helpful to switch perspective to a minor character, throwing up new possibilities: i.e. while your main character is investigating one thing, more expendable types could be exploring the planet and possibly coming to a sticky end etc. I'm thinking of this as a Gothic Horror/Sci-fi game, so feel free to let your imagination run riot. Obviously only I know the real reason behind the planet's downfall (though it may be subject to modification, depending on people's posts), but everyone's welcome to add bits and pieces to the mystery.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  10. Killbot608

Killbot608 prototype killing machine

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    get me in on this :D

11. The Chaos Engine

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Done and dusted.:D

12. The Chaos Engine

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    As the rpg forum seems to be dead, I'm considering switching venues to a social group, invitation only. If there's no movement by next Friday I'll send out the invitations and those who still want to play can take part there.

13. Rob Darken

Rob Darken New Member

In the midst of the Celtic Winter, following the v
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    So all posts will be contained within the social group?
    How is it all going to go down?

14. The Chaos Engine

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Nienor pmd me with permission, so it's all systems go!:D

15. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    count me in as well

16. The Chaos Engine

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    As long as everyone follows Rule 5 they're in. As soon as someone posts a skimpy ten-line paragraph, they're out on their ear. For that reason entries should be written out and spellchecked first before posting. Posting a few lines and then saying you'll finish it later is not acceptable, so if someone can't commit to taking it seriously, they shouldn't take part at all.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  17. The4thMusketeer

The4thMusketeer New Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I heartily agree about short posts - nothing kills off an rpg quicker than people who've got nothing to say and just join to boost their post count or kill time. Anyone who doesn't follow the rules and make posts of an acceptable length should be shown the door with a boot up the backside.

18. The Chaos Engine

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    There's no need to ask twice, anonymous.:p

And as long as you follow the ALL IMPORTANT RULE 5, you're welcome to join. This is not a guideline, it is a RULE. Six reasonably sized paragraphs or at least thirty lines. Short posts will get the perpretrator kicked out of the game.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  19. Sláine

Sláine I'm the silver cloud's dark lining...

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Great! A sci-fi RPG! I'm not the greatest writer in the world, but I'm not the worst. If you're still looking for players, I'm in.:)

20. The Chaos Engine

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Nienor asked for an introductory post, which I sent her, so just hang fire until she sets things up. It shouldn't be too long now.