Sauron A Balrog?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Timmybaby17, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Elan Morin Tedronai

Elan Morin Tedronai The Forsaken

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, Sauron was the servant of Aule, and Trolls were corrupted Ents, aswell. We forgot that one.

2. Ranger_of_Gondor

Ranger_of_Gondor Gondorian Defender

Massachusets(The mostly Anti-Bush state. Hooray!)
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Looks like I was wrong.

3. isengard111

isengard111 The Master Chief

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I think Trolls were mockeries of Ents, seeing how they came from stone, compared to the walking trees. Morgoth corrupts and mocks. Should have put that in earlier.

4. Fingon

Fingon The High King

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Alright, I remember this. Sauron, like Gandalf, was a Maia. When everything was still good Melkor was banished from Valinor. Melkor made Sauron go with him into banishment; therefore, turning him to the dark side. Sauron then was given powers by Melkor, the ability to change his body. Melkor also made Sauron the lord of warewolves. If you translate Sauron from Sindarin, I think, it will mean Lord of Warewolves. However, Sauron was not always named Sauron, but I cannot recall his real name.
    The Balrogs on the other hand were not Maia. They were creatures like any other, but with the heart of fire.
    I hope I helped :)
    ~Fingon

5. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    One little mistake: The Balrogs were apart of the Maiar. I don't have the time to go and search for a proper quote from the book, so EoA will have to suffice for now.

But there still is no way that Sauron was a Balrog. They were of the same race, yes. But that's as close as it gets.

6. Kingpin1989

Kingpin1989 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    www.thecouncilofelrond.com, it says that Sauron was a Maiar originally in the service of Aule. Soon he changed alliegances to be with Melkor. From there, he rose to the top of the organization ( heckuvah employee, eh?) and was second only to Morgoth in evil. Melkor taught him to change shape and in the overthrow of Morgoth he was overlooked and allowed to escape...

7. Nithrom

Nithrom New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Saurons real name is Anathar.

8. Asgath

Asgath Heavy-metal dwarf

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Sauron, in theory being a Maiar, is a Balrog, as Balrogs are Maiar. Therefor in thoery, Balrogs are 'Saurons' .
    This is obviously not true.
    But still, they are one and the same, Balrog is just the name of the fiery embodiments of the evil Maiar, Sauron didn't choose this form, he was above the Balrogs, it is reason to think he could have chosen a differing form to make him look different, therefor above the 'mere' Balrogs.

Also remember that Sauron was never cealed to one form untill (I beleive) the late second age, after the forging of the one ring. If he would ever have wanted to, I think he could in a way 'morph' into a Balrog, however, he could be kept to that form... Of course, I'm not Tolkein, so I'll never know for sure :)

In Conclusion, it is my belief, that although Sauron could be a Balrog (but not one), Balrogs could not be a 'Sauron', its abit confusing, but I'm sure you'll catch my drift, therefore he is not one in practical, but the point I'm trying to get at is theory.

9. Nithrom

Nithrom New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sauron was allways second in command to Melkor. Balrogs are a lesser form of Maiar and would only be in command of Melkors armies, this could be because of their brute force and scary looks. And I think Tolkien stated more than once; that to have power, you should have the wits and good looks or be the strongest person in arms ( biggest army). Sauron did not have an army, Melkor did, until he made the ring, but he did have good looks and he was very clever.

10. Zanven

Zanven Cult Classic Connoisseur

Sitting In A Bunker, Here Behind My Wall.
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Sauron originated as a spirit called a Maia. He was at first one of the most powerful servants of Aulë the Smith, one of the Valar or ruling powers of the world.

He was soon converted (subverted) by Melkor (later Morgoth) an evil Vala, and thereafter served Morgoth faithfully, even in later days after Morgoth was defeated and cast outside the confines of the world.

11. Matthias_Thulmann

Matthias_Thulmann Archmage of the Elves

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Morgoth/Melkor was the fallen Valar, Sauron was a Maia of Aule who brought dwarves into the world and was a Craftsman, The wizards arn't Maia, They are Istari who were sent by the remaining Valar to advise the free peoples, When Morgoth/Melkor corrupted Sauron he made him lord of werewolves and lord of the origional Minas Tirith
    or at least this is what I understood...The Istari thing is in a bestiary of tolkien I've got but it doesn't explain where a balrog comes from
    orcs=elves
    trolls=ents
    goblins=?

12. anna236

anna236 Modern day Anna

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think that they were made before elves, but Illuvitar made them stay asleep until the "Firstborn" came into being. They were made by Aule, but Illuvitar give them life.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
  13. anna236

anna236 Modern day Anna

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wrong: Aule created the dwarves, though Eru gave them life.

14. anna236

anna236 Modern day Anna

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    He was of Aule, not Ulmo. Ulmo was over the sea, so the sea oriented people were under him. Osse (a Maiar) and Cirdan the shipwright (an elf) were some of the most famous ones.

15. TheBlackWizard

TheBlackWizard New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Naaa, least aways, I don't thinks. Sauron the goon was a mia, and a heavyweight one among others, but those nasty little buggers, the Balrogs, aren't. They were far to corrupted. Once, in a faraway time, yea they were mia, but then they flocked like a pack o'wolves over to the M'sters banner, where the M corrupted those little buggers to the point they had lost them powers that identified them as mia.

16. anna236

anna236 Modern day Anna

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's Maia, not Mia.

17. efazati

efazati New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Maia or Mia is not important
    only idea is important !

18. Senekha

Senekha <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0

Actually, the Istari are Maia, sent in the form of old men. Sauron was also a Maia, albeit a very powerful one.

19. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Yep, Sen's correct. They were Olorin (Gandalf), Aiwendil (Radagast), Curunír (Saruman), Alatar, and Pallando. If you want the whole tale of how the Valar chose them, it's written in Unfinished Tales.

20. Senekha

Senekha <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    Of course I"m correct :p

Search tags for this page

balrog brother of sauron