samurai sharpness?

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by LIL LOCO, Aug 25, 2005.

1. LIL LOCO

LIL LOCO New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Have you guys seen Kill Bill? do you think there could be a sword that strong, I mean I have held one paul chens swords and tried(pretty sharp it but come on going trhough a gang of 80 something guys with a one katana that's got to be impossible.

2. FireSnake

FireSnake Bhaal Spawn

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I dont doub it,their swords were made differently then the Europeans made theirs.I dont remember quiete how they made em but I just remember it from my 8th grade project.

3. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
  4. LIL LOCO

LIL LOCO New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry to get off topic but how do you get those cool pic's under your nemes im new here

Thanks

5. LIL LOCO

LIL LOCO New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry (names)

6. chaoticblue

chaoticblue New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    There were rumors that some of the more powerful katanas were made from a special kind of steel called marsentie steel. Today its basically used to cut tile and masonary. Though the more exotic arts of katana making was lost during the Meji Era, certain rumors still survived. A katana that was made in this fashion, though unattractive it would look, can cut through 80 people with minimal dulling. Traditional ones with differential hardening or folded steel katanas wouldn't stand a chance however.

7. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    I, for one, don't believe your story, Chaotic...

See, if such swords ever existed, we would still have some examples around. The Japanese are VERY protective of their swords and sword making arts. A lot of master smiths swords and daggers are illegal to export, declaring them "National Treasure". But I'm more specific about the museum quality of a lot of swords; the real jewels are on exhibition in a couple of museums across Japan.

And these swords, apart from admired and kept in hyper controlled climates, have been studied for folding techniques. The weapons you mentioned would indeed be there, for they keep both brand new examples of old masters and old used swords of historical interest. If there was ever such a sword, it would be held at one of these museums.

But if you are referring to swords of the legendary swordsmiths... Somewhere in the 18'th century, there was decided to test all authorised swords to their cutting abilities. I think in the early years, pigs and executed criminals were used to determin this (later, the well-know straw dummies were used). However, there was a certain league of (historical) smiths to this didn't apply, since they were too affraid that the sword would damage...

8. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    its martensite and its nota rumor, its a spefic crystal state that iron and coarbon will form if it cooled at a certain rate. Nothing special about it and its not that hard to get steel to form martensite
    http://www.threeplanes.net/toolsteel.html

9. talon0513

talon0513 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    it can be done but only with good skill one wrong turn of the blade and it will break