Samurai Armor

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Tiberius, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Tiberius

Tiberius New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hopefully I’m not breaking any rules. Does anyone know where to get Samurai Armor? If you do please PM me. Is there any plans on releasing the Red Samurai Armor that Tom Cruise wore in The Last Samurai? Thanks for any info in advance.

:dragon:

2. Cheesy Goodness

Cheesy Goodness The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    PM sent

just a bit of info...i read somewhere (possibly on this very board) that most Samuari Armor was made out of wood...is that true?

3. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    They used wood, metal, leather - it was amazing stuff but I'm no expert

4. jigger

jigger New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I concur but they laquered the wood and leather to make make it really hard and stronger. I have a book that goes into quite a bit of detail about the arms and armour of the samurai, incidently titled "Arms and armour of the Samurai"

5. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Sounds good jigger, who's the publisher and author? I may have to have a look for it...

6. jigger

jigger New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's by I Bottomley and A P Hopson published by Saturn Books ands its ISBN is 1-86222-002-6 also it was printed in 1996.
    jigger

7. Orkin

Orkin The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Try Oriental Armour by H Russell Robinson and Secrets of the Samurai by Ratti. The armor was usually steel; why would they use wood?

8. hackandslash

hackandslash The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Samurai armor was never made out of wood, there is just too many problems in that. As far as purchasing some...i agree that cruises armor does look nice but it isnt particularly acurate.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2004
  9. Elvenblademaster

Elvenblademaster New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Samuri armour is in my opinion, Bulky, weak, it gets in the way, and is not very efective, it reminds me very much of the armour that the Haradrim warriors used in ROTK.....

Here is a picture of the
    armour of tom cruise...

Attached Files:

10. Elvenblademaster

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Here are some more pics

Attached Files:

11. hackandslash

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I certainly hope you can back up your statements. It seems somewhat unsubstantiated. Historically Samurai armor was quite mobile, did not hinder its users hardly at all. More importantly, it was very effective at stopping weapons from damaging the body. At their peak, the armor smiths were creating Do (breast plates) capable of stopping musket balls.
    If the armor had been ineffective, why would they have chosen to wear it. I dont think it is fair to compare it to a fictional movie and hope to draw any kind of conclusions.

12. Elvenblademaster

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Ok then if their armour was so effective, why did they succumb to the british troops the moment they showed up. Have you worn Samurai armour? I have and I', telling ya, I may not have the body of a japanese samurai, but I almost could not move, it is very restictive. It provides almost no torso movement to bend up and down. And in what world is stopping musket balls important? Do you realize that a kevlar vest can stop a 357 magnum bullet, yet the same vest in incapable of stopping an arrow fired from an 45lbs Bow?

13. hackandslash

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The reason they "succumbed" to the british was, by that point their armor was archaic and ineffective against the modern british weapons. I am reffering to the armor being used in the context in which it was designed, combat prior to 1600.

Was the armor that you wore authentic armor? there are some really awful reproductions out there. If the armor was not fitted to your body, then of course it may have seemed restrictive. The average japanese male of the 16th century was much smaller then a modern american.

The world that stopping a musket ball would be important in is that of about 1560-1600, when a large portion of the soldiers you are fighting would be trying to kill you using a musket. No amount of training or martial skill can save you from a bullet, only your armor. The armor was effective at stopping more then bullets. It is very difficult to cut through metal and laquered leather, especially with a sidearm such as a katana or wakizashi. The surfaces of the armor were hard, and as such, a stab from a spear would be likeley to glance off, instead of penetrating.

As far as your reasoning behind the bullet vs. arrow. The physics behind it are more complicated then either of us can probably discuss, but basically, the kevlar vest was designed very differently then a suit of armor. The fibers in the kevlar absorb and disperse the energy or the bullet, where as the armor relies on its hardness to prevent damage from the weapon/projectile. An arrow has much more momentum then a bullet, hence why it can go through a light vest. Also it is pertinent to point out that a musket ball, a 357 magnum round and an arrow all behave very differently.
    A more acurate comparison might be between the modern armor given to soldiers in the army. A significant part of the protection they offer is provided by ceramic plates, which act as hard barriers to stop the bullet, much the same way a plate on a suit of armor does.

14. Elvenblademaster

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Ok, I have to agree with you, good job your one of the few who are able to convince me of anything. You have more expierence and knowlegde in this field than I.

15. hackandslash

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well thank you, it was a good, purposeful discussion then. Perhaps you will convince me of something sometime soon.

16. Elvenblademaster

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I would still however prefer armour such as ws used by the elves in the last alliance, plate armour layed, with chainmail beneath, lames and pauldrons...vambracers ect. ect. ect.

17. Tenaka

Tenaka New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Actually, Samurai armor didnt just stop with the armor itself, the warriors always wore silk underneath the suit of armor to help against arrows. Mind you, the silk did not stop the arrow, but when the arrow sunk into the wound, A. it made it so the arrow didnt go as deep, B. made it so you could pull the arrow out with as little damage to the body as possible. There was something about silk that made it very difficult if not impossable for the arrow to tear through the fabric.

18. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Ah hell, you didn't really say they could stop bullets now did you?

Please do some real research on the subject. Perhaps a musket ball could "glance" off of the armor at an angle, or maybe the musket fired didn't have enough gunpowder, but a katana with a specially tipped kissaki could penetrate that armor easily, not to mention a miniature cannon ball fired with much more force than a modern 9mm.

There is too much myth associated with the samurai. They did not have better swords, if anything they are heavier than the ones being made in Europe at any time (I cannot think of any European blade that was 28 inches long that could need 2 hands to wield).

They cannot cut other blades in half unless the blade was seriously inferior, and even then it would probably be nothing but luck. In fact their swords can frequently bend just by cutting straw mats. I doubt any fully hardened European sword would do that.

Close combat looks very hard to do in that kind of armor pictured above. Especially that helmet. Sword fighting isn't just enough, you also need excellent hand to hand skills to finish an enemy.

19. Orkin

Orkin The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I believe that H Russell Robinson's tome is the source of that. I do not believe that he was repeating a myth.

Given musket balls rather than rifle bullets, it's may be possible.

20. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    First you have to understand what muskets were, they were basically miniature cannons! A musket ball is round, which is a horrible penetrating shape indeed. BUT, they tried to overcome this my basically using a large amount of gunpowder which would then allow it to be hurdled at an extremely high rate of speed. Todays bullets don't even need anywhere close to the amount of gunpowder because of proper design changes in the barrel, the technique known as rifilng which spirals and straightens out the bullet as it is fired, and the proper shape of the bullet itself are all factors in penetration.

But to say they could stop musket balls... I'm just shaking my head at that one! A breast plate deflecting a musket ball would be the extreme exception, not the rule. Not to mention that lower quality, untempered steel is used for breastplates, that makes it much easier to be penetrated.

Search tags for this page
could samurai armor stop arrows
fantasy samurai armor

samurai armour forum

the samurai armour forum
type of samurai armor tom cruise wore
what could penetrate samurai armor