Sam and the Ring

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Kuja, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Kuja

Kuja New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    its been since the opening day since i saw this movie...

and i don't remember.. did he EVER put it on in the movie?

i remember he picked it up and heard the orcs coming.. so he hid

2. byzantine warrior

byzantine warrior Autokratos Konstantinou

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    no sam never put it on in the movie from what i can remember

3. Elvenblademaster

Elvenblademaster New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    But he did put it on in the book, and it had little effect on jis hobbit inocence....But in the movie he did noy put it on, disappointing though...

4. byzantine warrior

byzantine warrior Autokratos Konstantinou

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    perhaps in the EE we will see him put it on??

5. Kuja

Kuja New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    we better see it in EE... cause he needs to put it on... it was a very important part i think...plus i think i'd be cool to see him in twilight mode

6. curunir's bane

curunir's bane Kwisatch Haderach

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I disagree with having him put it on. This is just MY opinion however. I think if he had put it on, (in the theatrical version) too many people would have thought "well why isn't sauron going after him, why doesn't he know where Sam is?" It would have done no good for them to be building up this evil around the ring throughout the whole trilogy and then belittle the danger of putting it on, by having Sam put it on and Sauron not knowing where he is. In the EE however they can get away with it because it's expected to have more book fans than just the movie fans. I did not see the moment of Sam putting the ring on as a defining moment. So I could care less if it is in the EE or not. To me the "defining" moment was the fact that he took it with him, and that he already felt reluctant to give it to frodo. And that's the part that mattered that PJ put in the movie.

7. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    That's pretty much what I think. In the movie, it was already hard enough to explain the exact nature and power of the ring, and it would only complicate it more if Sam suddenly put it on, especially while in Mordor. I mean, in the Fellowship of the Ring, Frodo puts in on in Bree and you hear the creepy Sauron voice saying "I seeeeee youuuu".

8. Tolman Muggworts

Tolman Muggworts claymore wielding hobbit

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ya that's true. I hadn't thought about it that much though.

9. frodogurl49

frodogurl49 Jedi Sabermistress

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    He only carried it in the movie.

10. dwarf tosser

dwarf tosser "What the Deuce?"

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thats not true. Sam carried the ring in the book and put it on. In the book Sauron couldnt see him because it says that the dark could that was full of malice nad evil waas too hard for saurorn to penitrate himself.

-dt

11. curunir's bane

curunir's bane Kwisatch Haderach

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I thought it said that Sauron's eye was buisy elsewhere, and thats why he didn't notice Sam. But i could be wrong.

12. Yeh-da

Yeh-da New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Can't remember from the book since its been awhile since I have read it, but I do believe he did at one point use the ring. As for the movie, they never showed Sam using the ring. The one thing the theatrical release did leave out was that Sam took the ring off of Frodo after Shelab was defeated...unless I missed it. Wonder if it'll be included in the extended edition.

13. Cjg

Cjg New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It shows Sam clearing the web from Frodo's face, but they didn't show Sam actually take the ring from Frodo. When Sam found Frodo in Cirith Ungol, he told Frodo, "I thought I lost you. So I took it....for safe keeping." and gave it back to Frodo.

I did notice that Sam passed freely into Cirith Ungol. In the book, Sam couldn't pass between the Watcher stautes outside Cirith Ungol. There was an invisible force preventing him from entering. He took out the phial of Galadriel and then he was able to enter. In the movie he never took out the phial at Cirith Ungol.

14. Curufeanor

Curufeanor Master Noldori Elvensmith

The Halls of Mandos in Valinor, on my throne where
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    In response to the your first post in this thread, Kuja, I dont really recall Sam even picking it up when the orcs came along. And yes, his putting on the ring at the stairs of Cirith Ungol was a pretty important part of the story, because he was supposed to get a taste of the ring's power. This led to his vision of 'Samwise the Strong' (in the book), in which he leads an army to assault the Barad-Dur and turns all of Mordor into 'the Garden of My Delight', and almost puts it on AGAIN within sight of the Eye... then stops himself, seeing that the ring is already corrupting him, and turns back to rescue Frodo. This small bit of ring-bearing also earns Sam a place on the final ship sailing to Valinor with Legolas and Gimli, some many years later.

Oh ya, and they won't show the part where Sam overpowered the watchers until the EE comes in Nov. 04

Last edited: May 30, 2004