Saddest/Least Favorite Moments

Discussion in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' started by Liadan, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    So... saddest and least fav moments. Inspired by the funniest and fav moments threads.

Mine would be:
    1) When they killed Ned.
    2) The Red Wedding.
    3) When they killed Lady. :(

I'm sure I'll come up with more later, lol. After all, this IS ASoIaF. :p

2. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    SPOILER

The Red Wedding is one of the saddest scenes for me. Also ranking at the top is when Dany smothers Drogo. (btw, I may not post spoiler alerts too much anymore. Everyone here has read it) I highlighted the scene with Robb/Bran at the beginning of AGoT that made me tear up a little. It's long but I kinda like rewriting it:

He put Bran into bed, covered him with blankets, and blew out the candle. For a time Robb sat beside him in the dark. Bran wanted to talk to him, but he did not know what to say. "We'll find a horse for you, I promise," Robb whispered at last.
    "Are they ever coming back?" Bran asked him.
    "Yes," Robb said with such hope in his voice that Bran knew he was hearing his brother and not just Robb the Lord. "Mother will be home soon. Maybe we can ride out to meet her when she comes. Would that surprise her, to see you ahorse?" Even in the dark room, Bran could feel his brother's smile. "And afterward, we'll ride north to see the Wall. We won't even tell Jon we're coming, we'll just be there one day, you and me. It will be an adventure."
    "An adventure," Bran repeated wistfully. He heard his brother sob. The room was so dark he could not see the tears on Robb's face, so he reached out and found his hand. Their fingers twined together.

3. Eldaya

Eldaya New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The saddest moment for me...only one... when my beloved prince was killed. *sobs*

4. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    Wow, Appaliq, that made me teary-eyed. It's so sad. I'd have to add Jon saying goodbye to everyone before he goes to the Wall as well. The snow melting in Robb's hair always gets me. :(

5. Senekha

Senekha <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    Saddest moment: when Oberyn died :p at least, most frustrating, as I wanted to read more about him!

6. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I'm thinking of princes that have died. You CAN'T be refering to Joff or Viscerys. Oberyn maybe? Rhaegar would be the most likely candidate I'm guessing but we didn't see him die (although I think the vision "Rubies flew like drops of blood from the chest of a dying prince, and he sank to his knees in the water and with his last breath murmured a woman's name." from the House of the Undying is really sad)

7. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    I'm pretty sure she meant Oberyn. :p

And Obara's an idiot. I'd much prefer to see Tyene or Nym if Doran dies (I DO like him, actually.)

8. Eldaya

Eldaya New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yep, Oberyn is my prince *sighs* . I love him I love him I love him...um,yeah I think you got the idea. :). So yeah..oh,and about the Sand Snakes,I like all of them. It doesn`t matter which one will actually rule Dorne since she is Oberyn's daughter. Yes,I know, I`m Oberyn-addict.

9. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    When Ned's head was lopped off, that was rough.

10. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    some of the ones above got me too.

and whats with the oberyn groupie action? come on, like i said he's a jackass! and the sand snakes are incompetent. and most importantly, theyre all minor characters so far so why even focus on them?

11. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    The groupie bus never hit me apparently. I'm still stuck in Gendryville.

12. Eldaya

Eldaya New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Groupie? I haven`t noticed a groupie action so far but... oh, well. And he is not jackass,not for me. And about the Sand Snakes...I don't care if they are minor characters or not. Edard Stark was a major character,right? And I hated him,he was annoying. John Snow also annoys me although he is a major character as well. So just accept the fact that I am unique and am in love with the minor characters,ok?

13. K'shar

K'shar Darth Pumpkin

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    You hate Ned? OUT!!!! You are so my enemy now

14. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Hey, you said that you found Oberyn hot, somewhere back in the game (otherwise known as spam) threads. :p

I like Oberyn and the Sand Snakes, but Oberyn's death didn't actually make me cry.

Methinks someone's jealous. :p What's wrong with Oberyn? Cool guy, killed Gregor (almost, anyway), sad that he died, but not as bad as Ned's death.

Jon's OK, although I dislike him a bit given some AFFC developments, but I'll withhold judgement until his PoV chapters in ADWD. But Ned rocks!

15. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0

Jealous? you say im jealous every time i criticise someone, like rhaegar. COME ON woman! its a well established fact that i can be an asshole. so why bother questioning the fact that i can dislike people.

And also theres also the fact that i usualyl have a very rational and coject point of view, without any unacceptable bias, the only time you question this is when i attack someone in your favour.

Cool guy? no, not cool, hows he cool.....

A) he steals his bastard children from their mothers

b) he crippled willas tyrell (a direct accusation is made in the prose of a tyrion chapter in ASOS, so tyrion obviously acceptes it as truth, doubting him?).

c) he's drunk most of the time (drinking aint bad, but 90% of people who are boozed up are jackasses alcholol or not),

D) HE lost to gregor, probably due to his inflated sense of importance/alcoholism, got himself in a fight he couldnt win with the biggest knight in the kingdom. and no matter what anyone says, he LOST that fight under any interpretation of the rules.

E) any person who says he won or is a good fighter is due to the fact that he poisons his weapons, which is stupid, if everyone int he 7 kingdoms poisoned their weapons fights would be a lot faster, oberyn might have lost his fight worse etc. its a cowards choice, what, if he's so good how comehe cant win a fight without posion? or is he expecting to lose and make sure his killer doenst like long.....strike that a SPITEFUL poor loser.

theres more, but i cant be bothered. theres just no reason to like him.

Oh wait, same case as rhaegar.....I just dont like him....its probably because i dont have 4 tonnes of female hormones in my veins making me that irrational.

as for Eldaya, you can like who you like i dont mind, i just wont understand. I just prefer to piss of ldh (liadan)

16. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    I love irritating you on purpose. :halo: I was half-expecting some kind of a rant on this. :D

“COME ON woman! its a well established fact that i can be an asshole.”

Change that to “am” and you’ll be accurate. ;) :D

“And also theres also the fact that i usualyl have a very rational and coject point of view, without any unacceptable bias, the only time you question this is when i attack someone in your favour.”

Yep. You seem to hate everyone I love. And you love to argue with me, so I’d say that you’re biased too. ;) You seem to take the opposite stance from me just for the hell of it. :p

“A) he steals his bastard children from their mothers”

By Westeros law, he’s allowed to do that. Whether or not it’s acceptable in today’s world is moot, because these fictional characters don’t LIVE in today’s world.

“b) he crippled willas tyrell (a direct accusation is made in the prose of a tyrion chapter in ASOS, so tyrion obviously acceptes it as truth, doubting him?).”

It was an accident that could happen to anyone, and it wasn’t on purpose. Find me a line where it says that Oberyn crippled Willas on purpose and I’ll believe you. Until then, it’s only unsupported speculation and not fact. :D

“c) he's drunk most of the time (drinking aint bad, but 90% of people who are boozed up are jackasses alcholol or not),”

Is he? I haven’t noticed. And I wonder why you’re pointing this out as a flaw when you like Robert, who’s drunk 99% of the time.

“D) HE lost to gregor, probably due to his inflated sense of importance/alcoholism, got himself in a fight he couldnt win with the biggest knight in the kingdom. and no matter what anyone says, he LOST that fight under any interpretation of the rules.”

Did I say he won? I said that he “killed” (or almost, anyway) Gregor. And so what? Winning isn’t everything.

“E) any person who says he won or is a good fighter is due to the fact that he poisons his weapons, which is stupid, if everyone int he 7 kingdoms poisoned their weapons fights would be a lot faster, oberyn might have lost his fight worse etc. its a cowards choice, what, if he's so good how comehe cant win a fight without posion? or is he expecting to lose and make sure his killer doenst like long.....strike that a SPITEFUL poor loser.”

Everyone else has the same option. I’d label Oberyn as “smart” because he knows he can’t beat every knight and creates an edge for himself. And in fact, he is a good fighter, even if he’s not the best.

“theres more, but i cant be bothered. theres just no reason to like him.

Oh wait, same case as rhaegar.....I just dont like him....its probably because i dont have 4 tonnes of female hormones in my veins making me that irrational.”

Nah, you have 4 tons of male hormones instead, which automatically makes you dislike anyone who’s cool. :D And Rhaegar rocks. If you don’t like him, too bad.

Oh yes… and for those of you who haven’t seen us argue before (which I rather doubt), none of this is meant in spite. :p We do, after all, do this all the time...

Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
  17. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0

Thats only partially true. I like to annoy you and i like to take the opposite side to you, but i will not take the opposite side for the simple sake of it. I wont take it if its wrong and i wont take it if i dont believe it wholeheartedly. so dont go on an ego trip and think its all about you :D

Ah but dornish law shall always he held first in dorne, and whats their law on the matter?

and as for moral reservations based on different time periods, youre one to talk, you dispise qyburn and cersei for their torturing when thats a common practice for medieval era kingdoms.

I didnt hear an outcry when tyrion got bronn to turn that singer in tomorows lunch. Nor any complaint when hoat the goat got fed his own limbs.

its s tyrion chapter in ASOS part 1 i think, the prose says simple that he crippled the heir to highgarden, no 'accident' and as part of the prose its part of tyrions train of thought. For reference its the chapter where they discuss cersei and tyrion remarrying.

And besides that, coincidences may happen on occasion, but when the heir to highgarden gets in a crippling accident, and oberyn is there on the scene, theres a damn good chance its not a coincidence. and even if it was an accident, oberyn was involved, and usually jackasses are the ones who cause accidents. maybe he was too drunk and did it that way etc.

And please, for the record, find me ONE chapter where he denies it.

Okay robert has an excuse, he's married to cersei! any man who is married to both an insufferable b*tch and a frigid snob (not just to any normal man but to a man with roberts libido) would have to drink non stop to prevent suicide. Then throw in the tragic loss of his one and only true love when he put everything on the line for her, and ended up losing everything he cherished. Tell me how a man can suffer that without alcohol?

Oberyn however, has no good reason, besides his jackassery.

It is when its a fight to the death.

smart? i call it cowardice and sh*t for honour, if he is a good fighter, why bother using poison then if he isnt a sore loser? maybe he just does it to intimidate so he wont have to get into a real fight and be shown how rubbish he really is. face it , in the entire series we have seen him in one fight, which he lost, and if he didnt use poison he wouldnt have even killed gregor. Oh yeah and lets count in the melee where he crippled one of his enemies too.

Im sorry, that 2 people i dislike, is everyone else then uncool? hows about jaime? tyrion? jon? obviously i hate them due to my irrational male hormones......no wait a sec, thats wrong!

face it, theres no good reason to like oberyn. whats he done thats so great? almost killed gregor (but probably not enough for when we meet zombie gregor)? hang on a sec, werent you routing for sandsor to do that honour? oh, what else......hmmmn, nope NUTHIN!.

why dont you, instead of trying to counter my valid points come up with a list of your own favourable ones then we'll decide!

18. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    You’re accusing ME of an ego trip? :p

Dornish law is the same. Even if females can inherit, Oberyn is a prince of Dorne. Simply put, “All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.”

I hate Qyburn because he supports Cersei. And you know why I hate Cersei. If you don’t, the mental rescue team will be sent out to your house any moment.

1) Tyrion rocks.
    2) Vargo’s an idiot who deserved it.

Tyrion’s train of thought? Tyrion is not Oberyn. He might suspect, but he doesn’t actually know.

I’ll admit that it probably wasn’t an accident, but the possibility remains. Once again, it’s unsupported speculation. ;)

You think that matters? There are various people running around claiming that they killed Joff, but do you believe all of them? If you did, then everyone had a hand in poisoning him.

He might have an excuse, but it doesn’t excuse him from the fact that he willfully neglected his duties as a king to his people. Jon Arryn was usually forced to deal with the matters because Robert was too drunk. And Oberyn is not constantly drunk. If he was, I would have remembered – the way I remember Robert.

And you decide that he sucks just because he got killed? That means that by your logic, Ned sucks too, doesn’t it?

If you remember, Jaime has “sh*t for honor” as well, which he openly admits. You still like Jaime, don’t you? And it’s not about “sore losing”, it’s more like he’s making sure that he wins at all costs.

I LOVE seeing you get all pissed off and knowing that I caused it. :halo: Sweet payback…

Oberyn’s Dornish. I love Dorne and its people (yeah, yeah, desert rats and all that. We all know I hate it here.)

Countering your points? I’d like to point out that’s what you do with all our arguments. You always tell me that it’s my duty to find another argument. :p

Reasons why I like Oberyn:
    1) I think that he’s an intriguing character.
    2) He stood up for Tyrion during his trial.
    3) He’s doing his best to reinstate Targs on the throne (which is also why I love Doran.)
    4) He irritates the hell out of Cersei by insisting that Ellaria be seated with the nobles (it offends the other nobles, who complain to Cersei, which makes her irritated.)
    5) He irritates the Tyrells, who I really hate.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
  19. Renzokuken

Renzokuken You have failed this city!

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    Well... I didn't like it when Ned died, or the Red Wedding (as I read that part I thought "No, this can't be right... is this the same book?" lol). And I hated anytime I read about Sansa being mistreated by Joff.

(Had to break up the argument. Make another thread if you must, please. :p)

20. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    I did pity anyone who read our incredibly long posts. :p We'll probably carry this into PMs - again. ;)

Search tags for this page

saddest moments in asoiaf non death