Runemystic

Discussion in 'RPG #21 - Runemystic' started by Anir, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Anir

Anir New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    The town square of Jima was chaotic, as usual, but today was a new sort of chaos. Instead of the normal bustle of housewives going about their business, buying and selling cloth, food, and gossip, or the tramp and clatter of the Cahmerra soldiers on parade, or even the drunken shouts and swearing of the local alcoholics, the chaos was the murmurs of fear.

The fear was about the newest addition to the bulletin board that stood against the Hanged Dog Inn. It was an edict, signed and sealed by the Thirteen Lords of Cahmerra. It read as follows:

“To the district of Jima, from your governors, the Thirteen Lords:

Loyal subjects of Cahmerra, it has been brought to the attention of this council that Runemystics have once again been found amongst you. We fear that you, the people, will be threatened by these horrible traitors to Cahmerra. As such, it is decreed by the Thirteen Lords that any and all Runemystics must be reported to our council, and the traitors will be apprehended and executed. If you report a Runemystic, you will be rewarded with 500 gold pieces. As a warning, if you choose to aid a Runemystic, you yourself will be counted as one and will be executed as well. Please do not hide any of these creatures from our attention.”

Following these words were the seals of the Lords, and the motto of the nation: “As we are one, so you are one,” a recollection of the time Cahmerra had been a nation ruled by a king.

The edict had been posted sometime in the night, as attested to by one of the regular drunks, and it had been read and re-read by the inhabitants of Jima with fear and anxiety. Runemystics? But they were supposed to be dead, weren’t they? Many of the younger inhabitants did not remember the war all those years ago, but knew of the Runemystic’s treachery, and almost all of Jima’s citizens resolved to turn in any Runemystic’s they found, though there were a few who decided to ignore the order.

One of those few was Tam Inkir. He had scanned the edict with his grey eyes, mocking the seals and smirking at the pompousness of the Lords. However, subconsciously he was rubbing the backs of his hands, as though he could feel the runes underneath the fabric of his gloves. He was a Runemystic, and he knew the importance of this command, and he also knew that he would not be welcome in this town much longer if they knew his secret.

As he turned to leave, a few taller men came up to him, nudging each other and chuckling.

“Hey, Tam!” one of them called. Tam barely spared them a glance until they were beside him and he was forced to acknowledge them.

“Hullo, Barin, Kon, Gheris,” he smirked. “You three have got even uglier from the last time I saw you.”

The three men scowled.

“That isn’t funny, Tam,” growled Barin. “We know it was you what stole our purses the last time we saw you.”

Tam put on a face of mock innocence.

“What, me?” he asked, as though shocked that they would even consider such a thing.

“Look, Tam, we don’t want trouble,” began Gheris, the more reasonable one of the bunch. “We just want our money back.”

Tam made a face, as though he was thinking. Kon, the last man, and the one of the three who enjoyed fighting, spoke up.

“Oy, Tam, how about a deal? We’ll fight, and the one who wins gets the money.”

Tam narrowed his eyes and then nodded.

Kon grinned.

“You must have a death wish, Tam,” the burly man laughed.

Tam smiled grimly. He knew deep down that he couldn’t beat Kon in a fight. He’d just have to trust his luck.

(Objectives: Introduce your character, reveal what they think about the edict, and eventually meet up with some of the others during the fight. You can decide whether or not to help Tam.)

2. lacey

lacey TFF Avian

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    The girl watched the men and smiled beneath the hankercheif she wore. A bout like this was not uncommon and she wished to see how it turned out. Of course, she was planning on stealing from whomever actually won the fight, but this was unknown to them. A warm breeze blew, buffeting her hair and making her eyes water slightly.

She knew nothing of the Runemystics, only that she most likely knew at least one without actually knowing it. If she counted them as a friend, she would do all that was in her power to either hide them or help them run, otherwise she would have 500 gold pieces that she hadn't before.

The Ghost, as she was known, reached behind her and felt the handle of one of her daggers. They may be needed, and she was reasured for some reason at their touch. It was unlikely she would actually need the weapons because of her skill, but it was always nice to have a back-up plan. No one would be able to catch her, it might even be a while before they would realize that they'd been robbed.

Her real name, known to few, was Shae. As she watched the men speak, she was sure that number would not rise. Of course, she'd been wrong before.

3. SuperToad

SuperToad New Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Vortin sulked in the shadows of the Hanged Dog, listening to the frenzied muttering of the rabble around him. He payed them little heed, and instead concentrated on the announcment he had read. He began to tremble anew when he remembered the words on the yellowed parchment. All traitors will be apprhended and executed. He regretted, as always, his heritige as a Runemystic, now more than ever. I've got to get out of here! he thought to himself.

He willed himself to calm down, and started to leave, but as he moved toward the door, he slipped and fell into four men fighting. They didn't seem to care about the newcomer in their midst, and he soon found himself fighting for his life. Almost without his volition, he felt the runes on his palms crackling. Without warning, a beam of blue lightning shot out of his palms, forcing the men off him.

There was silence in the street for a few seconds, before the mob started screaming, "Runemystic! a Runemystic!"

A woman yelled, "I want the gold for myself!"

The man beside her said, "back off! he's mine!"

Vortin began backing away from them, before there was a blinding pain in the back of his head, then blackness.

4. Saka

Saka New Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Krasnik steadied his cross bow. He would only need one shot. the man he had been hired to kill had moved into range.
    Suddenly, a noise of a fight made him lose his attention. An unconcious man was bieng carried out of a pub. He cursed under his breath. The man he had been hired to execute had gone while he was distracted.

Krasnik straightend up. he walked over to the man who was carrying the knocked out person.
    He said,"why is that man knocked out?"
    When he got no anwser, He looked the man over.
    He saw runes on his hands. He said," Why arrest this man because he is a Runemystic? That decree means nothing."

Krasnik and the man argued, and Krasnik tried to make a grab for the Runemystic, but before he got there, he felt a pain in the back of his head. unconciousness took over.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  5. Jorick

Jorick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    Lord Cynric Talbot walked down the streets of Jima in all his wealthy glory. He wore a fine, white silk shirt with golden embroidery across the chest, black silk pants with similar threadwork along the waist and hem, a light all-purpose, brown silk cloak, and of course his tooled leather sword belt with his gem-studded sword and scabbard hanging off the left hip. Truth be told, he hated this new fad of wearing all silk, but popular fashion must be followed lest the people see him as behind the times. Cynric's only concession to personal comfort was his hair. As always, he defied modern fashion by leaving his dull brown hair long and loose, rumpled from sleep and never touched by comb or brush. And more often than not, he made the silly little hair trends die out quickly by showing that you don't have to have a fancy haircut to make the clothes look good.

Lord Talbot was surrounded by a cadre of his personal guards. Twenty-four men in suits of gleaming armor, all with plain swords hanging from their hips. The Lord Cynric allowed them to carry additional weaponry as they saw fit, so some also had daggers and axes hanging opposite the swords. One man carried a small hand scythe, a legacy of his youth spent as a farm hand, an eccentric weapon that Cynric found himself constantly amused by. Some of his fellow Thirteen Lords would only use men from wealthy families as personal guards. Lord Talbot saw no point in that. His lands, the lands passed down from father to son for generations, were varied and diverse. Why not take advantage of that?

Camlann, the southernmost district of Cahmerra, was surrounded by nearly impassable mountains. Thus, all basic needs must be met by the people there, lest the few passes become blocked or unusable. Much of the land suitable for farming was taken up by fields of various plants. In the fifteen years since the Runemystic rebellion, Lord Cynric Talbot increased production of foodstuffs, remembering the famine Camlann had faced with Runemystics raiding their stores of food. Because of this now Camlann produced more surplus food than any other district of Cahmerra, the trade of which became the backbone of the local economy. Good crops and smart trading left Camlann the richest land of all Cahmerra. Trade taxes went toward fixing up the road and post systems, and paid for research into new farming and transportation methods; all of this improved production and trade, making it a never ending loop of improvement. And on top of all that, Lord Cynric Talbot's used his ridiculously great personal wealth to improve the land in other ways. By all accounts, Camlann was the greatest of the districts of the land, now even better than before the Runemystic war, while some areas were still recovering from the destruction.

As they walked through Jima, the locals parting to make way for the armored men, Cynric heard a commotion nearby. A fight, by the sound of it. Just after he decided to ignore it, a flash of blue light from the next street over caught his attention. His personal guard stopped with him, all twenty-four armored men looking in the same direction as their master. The light, he knew, was probably from a Runemystic. He didn't care about them, unless they posed a threat to his land and his people. But as he was one of the Thirteen, he had to follow the edict he had signed with his own hand. That didn't mean he had to be pleased with it, though.

"You four, go, see what's going on." Cynric waved a hand at four of the guards closest to him. "If it was a Runemystic, let the people of Jima know I'm here. Anyone who brings me information that leads us to capture one will get their gold; anyone who brings the pest to me themselves will get a bonus. Oh, and try not to get yourselves killed."

The four selected men saluted and ran off down a side street, heading towards the light they had seen. Cynric doubted the likelihood of them capturing a Runemystic themselves, but they might get some information. And information was always a sought after commodity. He continued down the street, heading toward the reason he came to this filthy little town of Jima: a wine importer with legendary connections to Rhek and Silvarni wine makers, and rumored connections to more exotic places. Why the man had set up shop in Jima of all places, rather than somewhere in the wealthy belly of Camlann, Cynric had no idea. But if he must come to Jima to get the finest wine, so be it. As he walked down the street to the importer, Lord Cynric Talbot thought of ways to entice the man to move shop to his lands, the flash of light of a few minutes ago a nearly forgotten incident in his mind.

6. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    Nathan deeply breathe, the air was different, then last time he was here... it was poisned, it seemed dead,full with dust, none life..

He is older, he felt pain, fatigue trough his body. He sat down on rock to rest...
    After while he saw, children running by, just for fun he used some of his tricks to make them laugh...
    "Hey kids, come here" : he said, as he made small leaf into bird...
    All kids screamed and ran away... He was shocked , "what the hell " he thought.
    Newermind, he solaced him self... he slowly slept on back , to watch blue sky. "sky , looks the same" he thought... after short while - soldiers arrived, there were five of them.
    one of them , who looked like sergant said..
    Soldier : "Stand up, sir , you must follow us"
    Nathan : "why? what have i done?"
    Soldier : " nothing, all you need to do, is to fallow us! "
    He stand up, and said :"sure i`ll fallow you "
    Soldiers started to walk toward city, but just something seemed wrong, un-right...
    Nathan asked : "were are we going?"
    Soldier : " it dosent matter, just keep close ,and follow us "
    Nathan keep quiet and followed them... He thought : "screw this, im not going to jail, not again "
    He turn around and push one soldier to ground, and ran towards forest.. After second he felt huge pain in his back of head, he passed out.

As he opened eyes,it was dark, he could only see some details, he was in old rust jail, his head hurt like hell, there was few prisoners around, most of the old and almost dead, he tried to speak ,but his voice was missing. "Probably because of headache" he thought.
    He passed out again... He woke up, as men walked in, he looked like royalty
    he walked toward Nathan and pushed him and jell : " WHO ARE YOU?! "
    He concentrated all his energy to respond " i am, Nathan Smith, Son of Head sorcerer of Amar "
    Royalty hit his stomach : "Lier", he said, "i know who you are ,some rusty old ticker, joker!, and you will pay for your lies, you will rot here!!"
    He felt another hit in head... He thought : " God, what have i done , to deserve this, why ,I am in here? why the hell, i traveled away.. i should never left the home...i dont want to die...."
    Fears of death made him panic, " I DONT WANT TO DIE" he jelled in fear....
    After few horrible hours ,he started to think logical...if only...i could...use.. my magic.... Please God, send me miracle... PLEASE!!!
    At the same moment, a small bird fly in, with key in his beak... "Thank God, and forgive me Tommy, i forgot you ... he laughed as he massage his tiered arms... "Now some revenge" : he said. Explosion happen.. ..He and little tommy dissaperad...

7. SuperToad

SuperToad New Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Vortin awoke with blinding pain. His mind felt like a jumbled mush, and his vision was unfocused. He tried to stand, but his legs fell out from underneath him. As he lay facedown, he noticed for the first time the reason for his pain- his head was cracked. The blood was coming less profusely now, and he noticed that someone had put a bandage around his head, now stained crimson with his blood.

He sat up. I took all his willpower, but he managed it, muttering curses under his breath. As he was doing so, a stout old woman with white hair came into the room. She looked at him and said, "Oh, good. you're up. You had a right bump on your head, but I patched it up best I could."

Vortin tried to speak, but it came out as a mumble.

"What's that, love?" The woman looked at him concernedly, but before he could answer, guards came in, the approach heralded by the clank of hobnailed boots.

They moved into the room, four in all, and surrounded Vortin. One of them turned to the woman and said harshly, "Who are you? Actually, I don't care. Get out."

They started moving Vortin down the corridor, and he started wondering what would happen now.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  8. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    As he walked trough town, he wanted to change his clothes.. he went into huge market, and bought some old clothes... He looked different.. .It was still day-time , this city seemed to be full with people...
    But he felt alone...

Nathan walked down in one street, as he saw sigh "Hanged Dog"
    "One, beer ..or two, wont change.". he thought. And this would be good place to find allies... He gave cookie to his loyal crow...
    He entered the pub, it was full with people, it seemed just after the fight. Nathan went to bartender and asked " What happened here"
    Bartender replied : "Uh, some weirdo get in fight, after gold..usual here"
    "uh...ok" , Nathan said... " one beer, and some cookies for my birdie.., "Nathan said, and went to sit down..He wonder, who could i ask, what is happening here?"

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  9. lacey

lacey TFF Avian

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Shae stepped back, afraid of everything that was happening. Never had she seen such a light. Her fingers grabbed at one of her knives. So this was a Runemystic? Even with her questionable childhood, she knew the stories of those people. Treacherous, they been called, though the people had been assured because of their extinction. Now fear had turned these people into and angry, greed-stricken crowd.

Once the Runemystic was down, the mob seemed to calm until a burly man started talking in a loud voice, “Who else is a Runemystic? It could be anyone!” The pandemonium rose to record level in the matter of a few seconds, the time it took for the people to register what had been said. Everyone turned to the person next to him or her, demanding that they give up any other Runemystics. Shae started to wonder what kind of thing could have happened all those years ago that would cause this much fear. Pressing herself against the wall in order to not get struck to the ground by the bedlam, Shae searched for the safest way out. “This is just lovely,” she muttered to herself when someone was flung against the wall beside her, their flailing arms hitting her chest. Skirting around the crowd, Shae made her way towards the door. She was hit several times but kept going. Did they do anything this time to deserve this kind of fear, because all of it was in the past…

Someone bumped into her, nearly knocking her over. Her eyes flashed, and she glared at the person who’d one it, but he was already busy with someone else. Quickening her footsteps, Shae got outside and started off down the street. Many others had come to see what was going on, even some soldiers. Grinning to herself, she realized what a blessing this was; everyone was occupied and no one would notice if a purse went missing. Putting a curious look on her face, she peered inside as if she had no idea of what was going on. She leaned to far forward, bumping into someone. With a muttered sorry, she tried to look embarrassed, though all the while she took the man’s purse. It wasn’t particularly full but it was better than nothing. Shae would be able to eat for another day.

After gathering about five purses, Shae started down the street. Not at a run, but a casual walk. Running would just alert attention that she didn’t want. She searched her head for places to spend the night. It would probably be dangerous to sleep in a random alley, so most of her ideas were thrown out the window just then. There were a few abandoned places to sleep, but many of those were crowded with orphans like her that would steal her newly acquired wealth in a flash. Someone passed as she thought of all of this, and she barely noticed him or her until her arm was grabbed.

10. Saka

Saka New Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Krasnik awoke in chains. He had not realized he had been asleep.
    He tried to think about what happened when he tried to help that Runemystic.
    Hard as he thought, nothing came.

Suddenly, he heard the sounds of a fight. 'Oh', he thought,'Not again.'
    he looked over and saw three men fighting a smaller man. He walked over.
    Right as one of the larger men was going to strike, a wall of air blasted him back.

"What has this man done, that you fight him?" Said Krasnik.
    No one was listening, however.
    They were all screaming the same word. "Runemystic!"
    "I am not a Runemystic," He said. "I am merely a Mage. I can only work with air." He held up his palms to show that there were no runes on them.

While every one was walking away, the three burly men ran. " Cowards!", Bellowed Krasnik.
    He did not pursue them, though. He looked down at the young man.
    "May i ask your name?" He said, Smiling and holding out his hand. "I'm Krasnik Sylen."

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  11. Jorick

Jorick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    Lord Cynric's dispatched guards met up with him as he was leaving the wine shop. He hadn't been able to convince the man to move shop, but he did get a very good deal on an assortment of rare and exotic wines to be sent to his estate in the heart of Camlann. Cynric merely smiled and motioned the four guards back into formation when they informed him of their failure. It didn't surprise him in the least, but then there were always others seeking Runemystics. Other Lords, sympathizers, angry people wanting revenge for the deaths fifteen years past. At least I don't have to deal with it, now, Lord Talbot thought to himself.

He went the same way out of the city as he came in. Nothing interesting happened on the way, which was mildly disappointing. On the outskirts of town, Lord Cynric Talbot found his carriage just where he left it, guarded by the six guards and the driver he had left behind. The Talbot family crest was displayed prominently on the doors: a slash paneled red and blue crest with five gold coins arrayed like the points of a pentagon. It had been their crest even before the Talbots came into great wealth. And now, more than ever, the Talbot lands and coffers were richer than ever.

After settling into the carriage and signaling the driver to go, he reminisced on his own fortune. Mother and father dead in the Runemystic rebellion, Cynric the sole heir of both estates. And considerable estates they had been, both surpassing the wealth of anyone but the Thirteen Lords of the day. Combined, Cynric Talbot was wealthier than almost all of his fellow Thirteen. That alone gave him more power than most. Aside from Abraxa and Ducant, Lord Cynric held the most influence with his fellow Lords. Surprisingly to everyone but himself, he hadn't used this sway for anything larger than minor tax laws. He always took a side on issues, but always let Abraxa or Ducant make their positions known first. Even better, Cynric had amassed a large store of owed favors and gold from his fellow Lords. The two more powerful men had been wise enough to do so only when absolutely necessary, but even they were in debt to Lord Talbot. Everyone needed money once in a while.

It took nearly an hour to reach the local manor. Cynric had small holdings in every district of Cahmerra, most of them used solely for travel stops. The one in Jima was a simple, but large, three room building without any decorations. It was just serviceable enough to be called a home, had someone lived there full time. Lord Talbot left his driver to deal with the horses and carriage and made his way inside. The last of his personal guard were sitting at ease around the main room in plain clothes, playing dice and cards or trading stories, twenty men in all. A couple of the newer ones jumped up and saluted before being pulled back down by their companions. Cynric didn't care for such pointless displays of obedience and was constantly trying to drill the idea into his head guardsman. But the stubborn bastard was stuck on honor and proper conduct and such trivialities, so he pounded the idea of saluting into each new guard's head. Lord Cynric smiled indulgently at the saluters, nodding at those who stopped them. Loyalty was nice, but better shown in meaningful actions.

As Cynric walked to the other end of the room, taking off his cloak as he went, the rest of his guard filed in. After sitting at one of the tables, he removed his sword belt and set it on the table with the cloak. When all his men were in the room, they numbered fifty total. Some cities had less watchmen, some of his fellow Thirteen had less total guards. All of the Camlann watch were made up of men trained to be Cynric's personal guard. All got to serve for a time as part of his five hundred man personal guard, but most were sent off later to protect the people of Camlann as a whole. As such, all were bound to Lord Cynric Talbot in their own minds. All of this was in an effort to prevent another rebellion like the one of fifteen years ago. Were trouble to come to Camlann, they had one of the best military forces of all Cahmerra, and one of the largest.

When all fifty men were in the room, Cynric stood to get their attention. They quieted slowly, finishing rounds of cards and dice before setting the games aside. Cynric didn't mind, he would hate to have a good game of cards interrupted just as much as they. He cleared his throat before projecting his voice to reach everyone.

"As you all know, Runemystics are on the rise again. I don't care what your personal feelings are on these people, but they are a threat that will harm us if left unchecked. By us, I mean Camlann. You're all old enough to recall the devastation they left fifteen years ago. We don't want that to happen again. So I'm going to send some of you out to make contact with them. Jima seems to have at least one, maybe more." Lord Talbot pointed at the guard with the scythe on his belt. "You'll fit in well with the people. You're going to head this little project of mine. Pick out nine of your friends and go back to town. Make sure they're not obviously high born, though. You have to blend in and gain their trust."

"I want you to go and find as many Runemystics you can and let them know an interested party would like to speak with them. Do not for any reason say, mention, or imply that it is one of the Thirteen. Make me sound like a sympathizer who wants to help. Send them here. Tell them to make it known they are here, a flash of light or something else abnormal enough to catch attention. Tell them someone will come out to find them and invite them in. If they're skittish, tell them to signal from afar and decide if they want to speak with me based on the look of my messenger. Just make sure they come and are sufficiently intrigued. Put your armor away and go. Be back in three days."

The guard Cynric had selected had already pointed signaled who he wanted to come along. All ten of the guards stood and nodded to their Lord, none of them the newer saluting men. Cynric sat back in his chair and let the other men continue their games, waiting and contemplating his plans for the Runemystics.

12. KazeWarrior

KazeWarrior Whoa what

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Elrin read the notice, eyes darting over the words like feet over hot coals. He smiled slowly, pleased with the unexpected news. Many others crowded each other about the weathered paper, chattering nervously. Unlike Elrin, these people were clearly distressed.
    “Oh God, the Runemystics?!” one woman screamed. She went pale, sinking to her knees. Elrin frowned at this simple display of uncontrolled emotion. He started to shake himself free of the crowd, to get away from these distasteful people. He scowled. The crowd pushed back against him, trapping him in a place he didn’t want to be. Elrin hated this feeling.
    Suddenly, a din arose, like a bird in flight. Elrin looked around, but he couldn’t lok past the forest of bodies. He closed his eyes, and listened instead.
    On his right hand side, he could hear men shouting and women wailing. There was a fight, several in fact. There were explosions and crashes, the general sound of destruction. He tried to hear the cause, but screaming downed out the details. Many people were fleeing in terror, others milled around like frightened cattle. What a great lousy herd of cattle, these men are, thought Elrin. Lousy men fit for this lousy town. But curiosity nipped at him like an eager puppy, and he listened further.
    “Who else is a Runemystic?” This was a shout that everyone could hear, not only Elrin. His eyes opened in shock. He could feel the crowd around him tense. Elrin cursed his position. He never should have let himself get surrounded. His eyes flicked around, scanning man and woman. Elrin confirmed that there were no magic users in his immediate proximity. But of course, there was one that had already been struck down. Even from this far, he could taste the magic traces the mage had expelled. Not a mage, corrected Elrin, no mages had this level of power. A Runemystic.
    He moved before the shellshocked crowd could, slamming into the wall. A few seconds later, he was on the roof, overlooking the entire mess. Two Runemystics! He looked over each, watching as one was carried away, and as the other was helped. He laughed. Which one should he go to? He took out a beated gold coin out of his pocket. Scratched side up, Elrin would go for the captured one, smooth side up, he would go for the escapee. He flicked it upwards.