Rumors of what to expect in ROTK EE DVD Version **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Huskylord, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Huskylord

Huskylord New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm just cutting and pasting this part from Aint it Cool News': Here we go :

"Word is that New Line are balking at the price for another Extended Edition, and may be farming out the FX to El Cheapo American FX House Inc rather than the high-quality excesses of WETA... our scooper (Toss the Dwarf) pointed out that this is strictly rumour-mill stuff, but remember who told you first.

- This one isn’t going to come as a surprise, but for the record: we’ll be seeing Gandalf and his Power Rangers confronting Saruman after the Helm’s Deep battle, followed by the multi-coloured one falling to his death.

- Merry will pledge his allegiance to Theoden in a scene similar to the Pippin/Denethor bit. Toss points out that shots from this scene have appeared in an early ROTK teaser, as well as a *very* early LOTR teaser from way back in the beginning.

- Following his acceptance of Anduril from Elrond, Aragorn uses the Palantir to reveal himself to Sauron. Sauron shows him a vision of Arwen’s sickness. This stuff was used instead during the dream sequence just before Elrond arrives at Dunharrow in the theatrical cut.

- From the horse’s mouth: ‘Remember the scene in which the Witch King is asked what he’s going to do with Gandalf, and he says I will break him? This pays off big time in a battle between the Witch King and Gandalf as Gandalf and Pippin ride to save Faramir from the pyre. At the end of the battle, the Witch King breaks Gandalf’s staff and then the Rohirrim turn up and the Witch King gets distracted. The beginning of this confrontation is one of the $$$ shots in the ROTK trailer: the Witch King’s fell beast landing on the ramparts in front of Gandalf and Pippin on Shadowfax.’

- ‘We see Gamling die on the Pelennor Fields theres a quick shot of Eomer bawling in the ROTK trailer.’

- ‘In the Houses of Healing, Aragorn heals Faramir, who then meets Eowyn and they fall in love. Aww.’

- ‘A disguised Frodo and Sam join a column of marching orcs on the way to Mt Doom. Their master is a ferocious orc captain with a whip. Remember the line heard over the sweeping shot of the orcs marching down through Mordor right after the Cirith Ungol sequence? That’s him, yelling Come on you slugs!.’

- ‘The Mouth of Sauron scene changes the emphasis of the entire final battle between men and orcs at the Black Gates. In the theatrical cut, Aragorn and Co. ride up to the gates, they open, and orcs come out to fight. In the extended version, they are greeted by the Mouth of Sauron (played by the Matrix’s Train Man, Bruce Spence), who has pointy teeth and a pointy helmet that covers his eyes (he doesn't need them, see? He's just a mouth). He rides out to show the heroes Frodos mithril vest, recently stolen by the orcs at Cirith Ungol, and to let them know that Frodo is dead and the ring is on its way to Sauron. Aragorn believes him, and the heroes despair. Going into battle at the Black Gates, the heroes have no hope at all it’s their last stand for sure, and Aragorn’s line for Frodo refers to his sacrifice, not to buying time.’

Well, there you go. I quoted Toss word-for-word there for the most part so I wouldn’t have to think too hard about the film before I saw it! More to chew on until November of next year... "

End of Article

2. dwarf tosser

dwarf tosser "What the Deuce?"

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    hehehe......... mighty-morphen-power-Rohidim<---(spelled wrong)

-dt

P>S> It's morphin time!!!

3. NateDogg2

NateDogg2 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That stuff sounds great. I can't wait. Mouth of Sauron should be cool.

4. arwen7

arwen7 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I definitely felt the confrontation with Saruman should have been included rather than merely alluded to in the ROTK theatrical version so i'll be looking for it in the extended. i'm not sure about how it will play out though, since PJ didn't really set it up to happen as it did in the book, but we'll see. whatever the setup i have a feeling PJ will not disappoint--he hasn't thus far. everything else rumored to be included i pretty much expected...except this business about the Witch King breaking Gandalf's staff...i don't know what i think about that one.

ROTK was indescribably excellent and i can't wait to see it soar to yet another unprecedented level with the release of the extended version!!!

5. Aiglos

Aiglos New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    But what about the scouring of the shire? I thought for sure there would be at least a shot of Gríma slitting Rainbow Warrior Mr. Old Man's throat. . .

That's a bummer.

6. DohHunter

DohHunter Community Defender

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    See #8.

These were my EE predictions I had sent in to theonering.net..............lets bring this thread up again closer to next November and see how close I am :p

Now, seeing as ROTK is listed as 3 hours and 30 minutes, or is that 3 hours and 40 minutes, or 4 hours 10 minutes with those **$*&#^ commercials.....I would estimate at 30 - 40 minutes of added footage for the EE DVD. So....following in TTT EE footsteps, here is my estimated list......and please mark my words, I'd like to compare this list to the official confirmations that are made closer to the release next year. In no particular order.............

1) Gandalf and Pippen on Shadowfax meeting the Witchking (on the fell beast).....in which the Witchking breaks Gandalf's white staff......then the horns of Rohan blow and Mr. Angmar rides off to meet Mr. Son of Thengel leaving Gandalf with an incredulous look on his face.

2) Eomer stricken with grief on the Pelennor Fields.....I would assume this would be over his father and not his sister as in the book, as Eowyn looks quite lively after stabbing the Witchking quite nicely in the face (note, possibly Gamling dies as well).

3) Faramir and Eowyn sharing a touching/romantic moment before or after the wedding (more than the quick glimpse we are given in the theatre), which Peter Jackson will probably throw in as a testement to the book and the houses of healing.

4) Elrond saying to Arwen "You have given up, your life's grace cannot protect you now"....before he rides off to meet Aragorn at the Rohan camp.

5) Sam passing the two watchers at Cirith Ungol. You can see them in the movie, before and after Sam has passed....and clearly the middle portion of that trek has been cut, this will be there folks :)

6) Gun Buri Khan!!! and the men of the wood........there was an actor cast, and I think Peter will bring the book's storyline into play on this one in getting the Rohirrim to Minis Tirith.

7) Denethor either having a flashback to looking in the palantir or glancing in it before he meets Gandalf. Not sure on this one, but by the lines he gives Gandalf in the movie (seeing Mordor's army, Aragorn riding towards Gondor) I think this is a definite possibility.

8) OF COURSE Saruman's death on the spiked wheel or merely pushed off Orthanc by Wormtounge (or throat slashed)....he dies one way or another :)

9) Gandalf talking or calling to Gwaihir to get picked up and flys off to grab Frodo and Sam (I think this is an obvious cut in the movie.....in the fadeout before the 3 eagles appear over mount doom).

10) Mouth of Sauron.....in which Aragorn cuts his head off with Anduril (heard rumours of this). If you'll notice, Aragorn has blood on his sword right before he says "For Frodo", but that could be from the Pelennor Fields too. This is also an obvious cut in the movie....except instead of appearing first out of the gates as in the book, it is possible MOS will appear after the Captains of the West have been surrounded. Or a new sequence could have been filmed (I think this is the case) in which the MOS comes out of the gates first (true to the book) instead of the marching orcs as in the theatrical version. The MOS will apparently deliver Frodo's article of clothing (mitril coat).

11) Cirdan being introduced or talking at the Grey Havens....you can see him just off to the right when Galadriel and Celeborn are looking towards the camera at the Hobbits.

12) Merry pledging loyalty to King Theoden on the steps of the Golden Hall (filmed, seen in TTT preview).

13) The taking of the Corsair ships by Aragorn and the Army of the Dead.....It would be nice if they could incorporate the scene Peter Jackson himself said was filmed, in which he fights Legolas.

14) Sam travelling through the tunnel of Shelob while she is wrapping Frodo up and finding Sting in the web.

15) King Elessar walking up to the throne with Anduril in his hand (filmed, seen in TTT preview).

16) Additional scenes involving Arwen and Aragorn in the future (possibly during a talk between Arwen and Elrond, more so than the theatrical version showed with Arwen's son.

7. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I'm glad they are showing how Gamling dies...I was wondering what happened to him in the end. Same with Sam suddenly having Sting.

I also believe they will have more Eowyn and Aragorn scenes to emphasize her love for him even more. In the trailer, when Aragorn asked if she was riding with them, he also said. "Do you always ride with a sword" That was not said in the movie. I found the trailer contained a lot of scenes that were not in the actual movie. Things to look forward to :)

8. Shinagani

Shinagani New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It would be kinda late for him to mourn for his father when he was hewn down by Orcs when Eomer was a just a boy(TTT:EE), I think you're referring to Theoden who was Eomer's uncle. Just thought I'd clear that up...

I think he'll probably find his sister passed out over Theoden and therefore be mourning over both of them.

It would be really strange for someone who knows nothing of the MOS to see Aragorn with blood on his sword(them figuring it was from Pellenor), sheesh man take better care of your sword. I can't wait for the MOS that will completely change the emphasis of the scene and make it that much more dramatic.
    I hope that scene makes it, it'll be hilarious to see Legolas kill PJ! LOL!

9. DohHunter

DohHunter Community Defender

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    *&$%&.....i blew it on the Eomer's Father comment........my apologies :)

Yes, Uncle.

10. Duke_Aramis

Duke_Aramis New Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    5) Sam passing the two watchers at Cirith Ungol. You can see them in the movie, before and after Sam has passed....and clearly the middle portion of that trek has been cut, this will be there folks

12) Merry pledging loyalty to King Theoden on the steps of the Golden Hall (filmed, seen in TTT preview).

These two scenes were shown in the theaters in Belgium were I saw the movie

edit: I was wrong about the Marry scene. It was the pippin scene I saw, just mixed them up sorry

Last edited: Jan 18, 2004
  11. celebrimor

celebrimor Elven Jewel-smith

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thats awesome those 2 scenes in belgum. so u are saying that in differnt locations they added or took out some scenes

12. Duke_Aramis

Duke_Aramis New Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I dunno, but it appears that way

13. Gûd Daedheloth

Gûd Daedheloth Foe of Morgoth's Realm

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'm just glad that the Belgian versian had the watchers. I loved that part in the book, and was pretty sure it was cut, but now I'm sure.

And I really doubt they'll have the Three Hunters taking the Corsair ships. The whole point of the ships is that it's a surprise attack, and a surprise for (some of) the audience.

14. Dweia

Dweia New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just reading these speculations.....I can't wait 'till the EE comes out!!! :D I can only get better! The EE of the other two movies explain a lot of things that isn't known to people who have never read the books, and they're a lot closer to the books.

I read an article a couple of weeks ago in which PJ at the RotK premiere in Denmark sopposedly should have said that the first rough cout of the movie was 4h 20m and that the EE would be at least as long :D How does that sound?

I really don't think anybody should expect the Scouring of the Shire, though (I know only Aiglos mentioned it ;)) as I think it was left out of the script entirely. The only place we're ever going to see it is in FotR when Frodo looks into Galadriel's mirror.

15. curunir's bane

curunir's bane Kwisatch Haderach

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    He rides out to show the heroes Frodos mithril vest, recently stolen by the orcs at Cirith Ungol, and to let them know that Frodo is dead and the ring is on its way to Sauron.
    -Husky lord

I think the MOS thought that Frodo was just a spy, and that aragorn probably had the ring, otherwise mount doom would be the first place i would have been if i were sauron and i new the ring-bearer was making his way across gorgoroth, either that or they didnt think he would try to destroy the ring, i dont know. Anyway this will make one heck of a dramatic scene. Oh boy it gives me goose bumps thinking about the men of the west believing frodo to be dead and sauron to have the ring and then seeing mount doom explode and barad-dur fall would come as a surprise to them.

Oh yeah and what about the journey to the cross-roads where frodo and sam pass by the statue, ive seen pictures of it. That might also be in the EE

And what did you mean by multi-coloured one, does that mean we will see saruman of many colors.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2004
  16. Curufeanor

Curufeanor Master Noldori Elvensmith

The Halls of Mandos in Valinor, on my throne where
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Ya u guys did forget the statue of the fallen king in ithilien when Frodo and Sam reached the crossroads. And yes he meant Saruman, who else would it be? And what about the whole Wormtongue vs. Saruman thing. Is there not a highly publicized pic of him with a bloody knife in hand, atop Orthanc. And what about his death? How will good 'ol stinks-of-horse Wormtongue die?

17. Ymina

Ymina New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Maybe the way that he died in the book, but then again that might be asking for too much. :mad:

18. curunir's bane

curunir's bane Kwisatch Haderach

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Yes curufeonor I know he meant saruman, but did he mean saruman "of many colours"? That is the question.

19. OBSERVER

OBSERVER New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The following link will give you a good idea of some of the EE scenes.
    Some good pictures here.
    http://www.elfenomeno.com/reportajes/default.php?acc=1&id=1056

For the few who may not have heard yet, Peter Jackson recently said that the running time is 4 hours and 10 minutes. I have wanted it to be at least 4 hours all along and I have not been let down.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2004
  20. darthrage

darthrage Sith Lord of the Realm

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Time magazine ran a great extensive article on ROTK. In it the following were mention to be included on teh EE.

A scene was shot with wormtongue killing Saruman but was cut from the theatrical version. Christopher Lee was apparantly furious that he was cut entirely from the third film, but ill be included on extended version DVD.

The scouring of the shile (end of ROTK book) was not included in the script and was never filmed. The article stated that PJ never like that portion of the book so he decided to leave it out.

Personally I agree it was completely anticlimactic.

I have to say also that the mouth of Sauron has to be included because the actor from the Matrix (can't remember his name) was cast and used during production. God did leaving that out totally F up the end of the movie. Don't get me wrong, as differrent as teh movies are from the books ( and I'm half way through reading FOTR for the umpteenth time) I loved the movies. I cannot stress this enough. But that ending and leaving Saruman's demise out left me feeling alittle cheated. C'mon, are we realy suposed to believe that treebeard is just gonna frigging stand around at Orthanc to keep an eye on Sarumaon for all eternity??? Please.

Any way, look for the Time issue if you can find it - It has Viggo on the cover holding Anduril.

Search tags for this page

samantha wetaour clothe