RPG theme suggestion

Discussion in 'RPG Theme Suggestions' started by Anir, May 19, 2009.

1. Thy Fearful Symmetry

Thy Fearful Symmetry New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    So, has this thing got legs? I've already written a couple of pages to introduce my character (well, a couple of pages of A4, not sure how that translates to forum pages). It's a cool premise, though, with plenty of scope, so I really hope it's not dead in the water.

2. Anir

Anir New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I was kind of waiting for an answer from the mod and a few more character profiles, but yeah, I'll get it started later, once I get the first post worked out.

A heads up, I would like the posts to be at least a page long in Word, or if you think that's a little too much to ask, four paragraphs, not including dialogue. Page longs are preferred. Treat this like a story you are writing with these other people.

3. Thy Fearful Symmetry

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    First off, if you're still waiting I guess we'll all wait as well...:)

Secondly, as you say, it should be like a story. That being said, every story has natural breaks. I'd rather someone wrote a shorter post which was well written and well thought-out than two pages of nonsense. I'm happy to write longer posts because I enjoy it and I've got loads of free time, but others might not be so lucky. Four paragraphs seems like a sensible minimum, though.

4. Rob Darken

Rob Darken New Member

In the midst of the Celtic Winter, following the v
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I agree with TFS here. I also will wait for a sanctioned go ahead, but continue to work on a post.

5. KazeWarrior

KazeWarrior Whoa what

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'm confused. How will we write a whole page without controlling someone else's character? I'm still a noob at this, but I think it'll get pretty confusing after a while...

6. Thy Fearful Symmetry

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Your own character should always be the primary focus. If your character happens to be in the same location at the same time as other player characters, it's possible to reference them without controlling them. Otherwise, there's no reason why non-player characters can't be used to keep plot momentum going.:)

7. Jorick

Jorick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    I'm interested in this idea. It's a cool premise, and I've kind of been dying for a really good RPG. I'll work on a profile and get it posted in the thread for them once I'm done with it. Hopefully a mod will see enough people interested in it to make the RPG section for it. :)

Also, I've got a couple questions and comments on things in this thread... First of all, the talk about an application/approval process. Is there anything cemented for that? If so, could you explain here what exactly is required to be able to join the RPG?

And KazeWarrior's question about post lengths. I think you were talking specifically about combat between two characters, like how can you go back and forth with someone doing 4 paragraphs minimum and not be tedious... Two possibilities spring to mind: internal dialogue/conflict, or special exception on post length made for combat situations. I don't think anyone wants to go through 10 pages worth of text to resolve the opening steps of an epic battle, so it should be considered.

So, yeah, I hope this gets off the ground. I'm looking forward to getting in on a better RPG than the silly spam war I'm halfheartedly participating in. :)

Edit: Oh, yeah, missed a question. Anir, do you have any objections to people appropriating some of the prominent figures of the story? For instance, could I be one of the unnamed Lords of Cahmerra? It's one of the many possibilities I'm considering, so I'd like to know if it's a valid option before I get attached to the idea.

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  8. Normf

Normf Death 'n' Roll

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I am currently working on my sickly evil character, just need to get some more info and maybe a picutre.

9. Thy Fearful Symmetry

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I was rather hoping this rpg would have a broader scope than the average duneoncrawl - X bashes Y with his Magic Mace of Invincibility, Y counters with a punch from the Mighty Glove of Gorax etc etc. I'd be quite happy to not mention any other characters until way,way into the rpg. My opening scene is all about setting up the political context in which Rhek is willing to go to war, and the consequences thereof. I certainly don't want to be involved from day one in a competition with other players to see who's got the biggest sword.:p

10. Normf

Normf Death 'n' Roll

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    There are no politics in the chaos that is Jake's mind.

11. Jorick

Jorick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    Well, combat is inevitable with people choosing differing sides. It may not happen immediately, but it'll happen. I may have simply been mistaken about what he was asking about and gave a barely relevant answer. But I'm off for now, so I'll check in here later to see if anything else is going on. :p

12. Thy Fearful Symmetry

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I was just expressing my concern that this could turn into a spamfest. I'd prefer story and character to be the main priority, rather than gung-ho combat which really doesn't amount to a hill of beans.:D

13. Anir

Anir New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    The Lords of Cahmerra are open for characters, but understand the politics involved, such as you cannot interfere outside of your lands without repercussions from one of the other Lords, and your wealth directly relates to your influence in Cahmerra. If you do choose to be one of the Lords, you should choose whether or not you support Runemystics and if you have any in your land yourself. I really don't have any more things to say if you choose to be a Lord.

To answer the question about combat posts: Yes, combat will be unavoidable, but the story and the characters are the main focus of this, not the battles and combat. Try to get it over in a timely manner, don't drag it on for pages because you want to do a spamfest and you don't want to lose. If there is going to be a battle, it should be decided beforehand who will win, that way we don't have needless spam on this thing.

14. Thy Fearful Symmetry

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    All we need now is somewhere to post...:duh:

15. Normf

Normf Death 'n' Roll

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Aren't you supposed to be in bedSymmetry?

And do we have to wait for confirmation from the mods before the RPG can go underway?

16. Thy Fearful Symmetry

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Couldn't sleep.:(

And apparently we do, though there seems to be some confusion over the issue. Best to wait and see.:)

17. Normf

Normf Death 'n' Roll

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I totally know how you feel, i haven't slept well in a loooong time.

Yea i am super keen to take this RPG seriously and really get into it. I am working on my character on and off as we speak. Maybe even some dungeons and or quest ideas too. And i won't be so chop chop heavy Symmetry don't you worry.

18. Thy Fearful Symmetry

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    My post wasn't aimed at you; you just posted before me.:p

19. Normf

Normf Death 'n' Roll

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Woops. My bad lol.

20. Thy Fearful Symmetry

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I was just worried about out-and-out spammers joining up. As long as everyone takes it seriously, it should work out fine.:)