RPG theme suggestion

Discussion in 'RPG Theme Suggestions' started by Anir, May 19, 2009.

1. Anir

Anir New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I realize that I am a noob, but I really want to do a RPG and all of the others seem kinda dead. Anyway, here's my concept.

The Thirteen Lords of Cahmerra sat in council at their round table. Like the Round Table of Arthurian legend, the table was supposed to represent that all thirteen were equal in status.

However, while this system worked for the poorer lords, the wealthier ones resented this, and as such, tended to sit together, as though to represent that they were better than the the other lords.

The reason for the conference was soon revealed, as a squirrely aid came scuttling into the room, juggling papers and finally releasing his load on the table in front of Lord Ducant, who sniffed and arched an eyebrow at the aid.

Murmuring an apology, the aid bowed and left, scuttling in the same direction he had come from. Clearing his throat, Lord Ducant stood, sifting through the papers to discover the one he needed and gently tugging it from its fellows.

"Fellow Lords," he began, speaking in a deep, slightly hoarse voice. "It has come to the attention of myself and Lord Abraxa that some of our number here are harboring Runemystics in their lands."

A murmur ran throughout the gathered men. Runemystics? Was he serious? They all remembered the legacy and horror of Runemystics from fifteen years ago.

A Runemystic was a person who had a birthright to an ancient magic ruled by runes, symbols that had power over the elements and aethers. These runes, carved into the Runemystic's hands, made them formidable foes and powerful allies. At first, the Cahmerrans had employed the Runemystics, but the Runemystics had turned on Cahmerra, devastating the land until the forces of their eastern ally Silvarni slaughtered them.

The Cahmerrans had thought the Runemystics exterminated, but as the report indicated, they were not as extinct as the Lords believed.

What were they to do? All of them knew that war with Rhek, their northern neighbor, was imminent and they could not afford another incident with Runemystics.

Lord Ducant cleared his throat. Silence fell, albeit slowly, as each lord still argued with his neighbors in whispers.

"To me, there are only one choice. We must rid ourselves of these Runemystics, once and for all. All lords will of course expose all of the Runemystics in their lands and kill them."

One of the slightly poorer lords stood.

"Lord Ducant, I believe you may have overlooked a choice. Why not convince the Runemystics to join us in war against Rhek? Surely that would be wiser than killing off people who could be good soldiers?"

"Runemystics are not to be trusted," snapped Lord Ducant. "Besides, I doubt that the memory of their first slaughter will have faded in so short of a time. So we are agreed?"

As the vote was taken, the majority agreed: Runemystics must be eradicated. A few opposed it, but were ignored. One of the poorer lords, the one who had spoken up against Lord Ducant, a one Lord Isprel, subtly pulled one of the gloves from his hand and stared at the back of it under the table. A rune, the one for earth, was clearly marked there.

He closed his eyes. He, at least, would not obey the edict, though he may lose his life, for the sake of the innocent.

So that's the premise. You can choose to be whatever. There are other magic-users besides Runemystics, like wizards, mages, fairies, elves, but Runemystics are the ones who are feared. If you have any questions, or if you like it, tell me, and maybe we can get it started.

2. Thy Fearful Symmetry

Thy Fearful Symmetry New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    It's an interesting concept, well thought out and well written. If enough people sign up to make it viable then I'd certainly like to give it a go.:)

3. KazeWarrior

KazeWarrior Whoa what

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    How do you sign up for an RPG that hasnt started yet?
    I'd like to join this one.

4. Anir

Anir New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Apparently, if enough people show interest in it, then it gets recognized as an RPG thread and you can post profiles over at the profile thread.

5. KazeWarrior

KazeWarrior Whoa what

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Right. But it seem there aren't a lot of people RP'ing right now... Hope this idea gets started! :)

6. SuperToad

SuperToad New Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Hey! Pretty cool! But would the runthifhagkjhs be available as characters?

7. Normf

Normf Death 'n' Roll

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Runemystics?

And cool idea by the way.

8. SuperToad

SuperToad New Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Edits are for the weak!

9. Anir

Anir New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Yes, Runemystics are available, but don't all be Runemystics. It would kind of throw off the plot.

10. Thy Fearful Symmetry

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I'd really like to know more about Rhek. What kind of society is it? Tribal, nomadic, advanced? Not that it really matters, I'd still quite like to play a character from there. You're the boss, though, Anir, so it's all up to you.:)

11. Elvenwriter

Elvenwriter Mmmm, Spam

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    i really wanted to do that one Anon started :( ... maybe i'll have to take over since he is gone now... cuz i really put a lot of effort into that!

12. Anir

Anir New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Rhek is a kingdom rather like the Huns in nature. Tribal, nomadic, and with a focus on conquering land rather than taking care of their own. They use horses and bows to fight, much like the Huns, and answer to a King. They usually don't have many magic-users, but rather rely on brute strength. They travel in long caravans and bring their entire country with them to war. Most of them look Middle Eastern in appearance, in comparison to the more Caucasian appearance of the Cahmerrans and the Silvarnians (who could be compared to the Norse)

I have no problem with you playing a Rhek, Thy Fearful Symmetry. (man, long name.) It would probably add a cool perspective on it.

13. Thy Fearful Symmetry

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Excellent! (And call me TFS, it'll save wear and tear on your fingers:D) Anyway, there seem to be more than enough people interested to make this thing work.:)

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  14. Anir

Anir New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Okay, to all who are interested in this RPG, here's a basic profile template for you to follow.

(this mostly doesn't apply if its an already posted profile, but you might need to clarify a few points.)

Name:
    Alignment:
    Appearance:
    Weapons:
    Personality:
    History:
    Magic (if applicable):

Pretty basic stuff, really.

A few things about magic: Most magic is based on a written form, usually read off of scrolls and such, but elves and fairies can do magic without such restrictions. Elves and fairies use magic that mostly focus on the aethers rather than the elements. They also disdain combat and prefer to seperate themselves from human conflict unless it directly concerns them.

Mages and wizards follow the rules; wizards read the scrolls, but mages usually choose carry some type of writing utensil which they use to inscribe the runes on the object in question on the spot and then read the rune. Mages and wizards focus on the elements, not the aethers.

Another thing about the magic is that its usually the four elements, like earth, air, fire, and water, with occasional forays into healing magic, telepathy and prophesy in the case of elves and fairies.

The thing about Runemystics that make them so much different from other magic-users is the fact that they can manipulate both, depending on the runes that are inscribed on their hands. The other thing that sets them apart is the fact that some of them have runes that allow them to manipulate elements outside of the four, such as metal. They still have to speak the name of the rune, which is the weakpoint of all human magic-users. Another thing to note is that the runes of RMs are usually different from most of the other runes.

If you choose to be a Silvarni, then you should know a few things. Fairies and elves don't live there, for obscure, yet traditional reasons. Their ruler is a War Chieftain decided by battle. They are still much like the Vikings, and have a good navy. Their main magic-users are wizards.

Cahmerra is where all Runemystics seem to live, so keep that in mind if you choose to be a Runemystic. Cahmerra could be compared to the government of King Arthur's time, except there is no King and the Lords(knights) are basically corrupt. Their main force lies in infantry and their main magic-users are mages.

I already said some stuff about Rhek.

PM me with any more questions you have.

15. Thy Fearful Symmetry

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    How big do you want each post to be? Several paragraphs or a whole page? I'm happy with either.

16. Rob Darken

Rob Darken New Member

In the midst of the Celtic Winter, following the v
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I may well be interested if it is sanctioned by the relevant moderators and posts are not a few lines/Paragraphs long. Also It would be nice to have people put some thought and depth of character into posts rather than just "I have uber powers, attack attack!".
    I will watch to see how this turns out with interest.

17. Anir

Anir New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I would prefer posts to add something to the story, not just a few lines. A few paragraphs is fine, but again, make sure it adds something to the story and moves the plot, not just a thing about how your character is awesome and can rule the world and blah blah blah.

And I think everyone knows the standard rules about not controlling other people's characters without permission and don't retract what a person said has happened.

18. Rob Darken

Rob Darken New Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Have you got the go ahead for this idea from a moderator yet?
    The premise behind this idea got the better of me and I have started to work on a profile and have written a page or so post, but I need to flesh it out more and edit a bit. I am working on a renegade Cahmerran character aligned (for the moment) with the Rhek.
    I think you should have a page minium post length to keep it interesting.

19. Anir

Anir New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    how do I get the go ahead? do I ask? if i've jumped the gun, i think i'll be a bit screwed.

20. Rob Darken

Rob Darken New Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I am not 100% sure about the requirements to start an RPG, but I am sure if you PM one of the moderators of that section you will find out.
    It probably helps if you have a lot of support, though preferably by established members who will post. People are probably wary of "n00bs" who promise to post and then disappear or even worse post horribly. Perhaps a screeening process or something like others have done is in order?
    Enthusiasm is always good, as long as it doesnt wan over time and result in another dead RPG.