RPG idea

Discussion in 'RPG Theme Suggestions' started by AcrobaticHippo, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Sorcha

Sorcha Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    The first post usually lays the setting, tells what happened before, and outlines the world in general. Think of it as an opening to a play. :)

2. wazawak

wazawak New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It doesn't set up the immediate setting or any characters? So it's just like a big introduction, like the marquee in the beginning of Star Wars?

3. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Well, it depends. Some people write up a post; I just created an "intro" that introduces the scenario. It's up to each person in the RPG to introduce their own characters and own settings, as quite a few people start out on their own and meet people up later.

4. AcrobaticHippo

AcrobaticHippo Determined

In Turtleopia, training Elan's turtles :P
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    I'm refining the introductory post now, though i dont have much inspiration at the moment...still, no worries, people! :D

5. AcrobaticHippo

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    BARGH...crap attempt, but I have writer's block and I did this at night :p Here goes :

A handful of teenagers are scattered across a classroom, bending over their maths exercise books. Some are scribbling down answers, some have abandoned their books completely and are staring around at everyone else. It seemed like a typical day in high school - work, work and more work - except that a teacher is nowhere in sight.

There isn't a single teacher in the school to be found. They are all gone, every one of them. Normally, the kids would scream for joy, throw their textbooks up in the air and escape the stifling classrooms to frolick about in the fields playing their various sports, or hanging out at their favourite fast food joints. So why, then, were they all sitting at their desks like meek little mice, gripping their pens so tightly that their knuckles were white, with looks of horror and fear frozen on their pale faces?

The answer awaited them if they ever dared step outside - death. Bodies are piled everywhere, bodies of people who once lived and laughed and loved, now grostesque corpses with decaying flesh and eyes rolled up all the way to the backs of their skulls. There is no one to bury them; death had struck again, and again, and again, till the number of dead was far more than the number of those living.

The plague has taken the lives of those who watched over the young - and still continues drinking the lives of the remaining adults as every second passes. Soon enough, there will be no adults to ensure peace, harmony and stability in society. Who's to say hell won't break out?

The plague has unleashed one hell upon civilization - soon enough, another hell will follow. A terrifying abyss of tortures created by some among the young will be built. The strong will survive; the weak and those unwilling to kill will perish. Battles for supremacy will take place - battles with bloodshed. The plague has not left either - it's still lurking in each and every corner, waiting for a new victim's flesh to consume. No one knows where the plague came from, or how it looks like, or how it's transmitted. There is one thing they all do know though - the plague will come for them, sooner or later, like it came for some of their friends. It's just the question of when.

The teenagers are now staring at the four walls of their classroom with wide eyes, all books now tossed aside. There was a time when these walls were looked at with contempt; confining them in classes, restraining them from rest and relaxation. Now, though, they felt that the plain school walls now surrounded them like a warm cocoon; shielding them from the terrors outside. This warm sensation would not last forever though; some among them could be infected, and it's only a matter of time before they die, too, with twisted looks on their faces and anguished screams. They could not stay in the class forever; they had to look for food to eat, water to drink, and new clothes to wear. They had to make a living for themselves and make sure that the Death does not swipe their lives away with its sharp sickle, for as long as they can. They did not know who among them would be good and who among them would be evil; most importantly, they did not know which would prevail.

They are afraid of death. They are also afraid of themselves. Very, very afraid of themselves. And they should be.

Tell me what you think...any constructive criticisms are more than welcome :D Ooh, and once things have been finalised I'll PM it to Nik.

6. wazawak

wazawak New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm working on another draft of my own, and will have one up ASAP. I do want to point out that I'd intended the Plague to have burned itself out, though, like a forest fire does when it runs out of forest.

Thanks a lot for posting your draft, Highwind. I do want to know your reasons for some of the changes you made in my post, though, if you would be so kind as to tell me.

7. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    If I decide to join this RPG, these would be my chars:

Names: Eric Yukio Takayama and Isabelle Natsumi Takayama

History:

Eric Yukio and Isabelle Natsumi were born to Hikaru Takayama on the first day of summer (thus Natsumi’s name, which is written as “fruit of summer”) in Urawa, a suburb of Tokyo. Even Hikaru did not know their father’s name, although it is evident that they are only three-quarters Japanese, as they are taller and paler than their mother. Hikaru gave her children both Japanese and English names, though they prefer the former.

Hikaru was an alcoholic from the beginning, although she did her best to support her children. Hikaru’s brother, Tetsuo, supported his sister as much as he could, but was unable to take her in, due to burgeoning rent prices and having a family of his own.

When the two of them were twelve, Hikaru’s latest boyfriend, Mitsuo, came to live with them in the squalid apartment that the family shared. It became quickly clear that he was a drunk as well. Yukio and Natsumi kept out of his way as much as they could, seeking refuge in their uncle’s house. Tetsuo’s wife welcomed their help, and often set them to watch over her younger children. However, when they turned thirteen, Hikaru insisted that Natsumi stay at their own apartment instead.

For the first few weeks, Mitsuo was pleasant to Natsumi. But after that, he sexually abused her until she confessed to Yukio. When her twin tried to appeal to Hikaru, their mother ignored the clear signs of the abusive relationship between her daughter and her boyfriend. Finally, driven by anger and fear, Yukio and Natsumi left the apartment and joined the Urawa Jokers, a motorcycle gang of outcasts.

Around this time, Tetsuo bought his own house, and offered the twins house space on condition they finish middle school first, since high school was not mandatory in Japan. They agreed to this, and after completing their education, they got jobs in the same restaurant – Yukio as a busboy and Natsumi as a waitress. They saved up enough money to buy their own motorcycles, and soon after were engulfed in the gang life.

Yukio fought his way to become the gang leader’s second, and through his influence, the Urawa Jokers became the most powerful gang in the area. Although there was a separate gang for women, Natsumi refused to be separated from her beloved brother and became the only woman in the Urawa Jokers to be accepted in her own right.

Soon after, both of them quit their jobs, for they had found an easier way to make money – playing mahjong. Natsumi also had the option of blackmail, as some married men, making the assumption that she was a prostitute, tried to pay her for sex. Threatening to tell their wives if they didn’t give her money, Natsumi was able to support both her brother and herself.

Their life continued thus until Tetsuo and his wife became concerned that they would end up joining the Yakuza, the Japanese mafia, which was quite likely. Although they had held back from interfering in their nephew and niece’s lives for the most part, they intervened before the twins were recruited by the Yakuza. A few weeks before they turned seventeen, Tetsuo arranged for Yukio and Natsumi to live with Akiko, Hikaru’s sister, and her husband in the US. Natsumi also arranged to have their motorcycles shipped overseas, providing the necessary money. After their seventeenth birthday, Yukio and Natsumi boarded a plane to Los Angeles and from there to a tiny town in Virginia.

Personality: Yukio is the brasher of the two and is hot-tempered, particularly where his sister is concerned. Yet he has a kind heart as well, at least toward Natsumi and his younger cousins (Tetsuo’s children). Although he is renowned as a troublemaker – and trouble-ender – he also has moments of rash courage.

Yukio is one of the best hand-to-hand fighters in Japan. Inured to pain, he has a great deal of endurance and knows how to fight to win. Although he never received formal training of any kind, he entered a nationwide tournament for fighters – including professional “masters” of the martial arts – and ended up being the winner.

Natsumi is more cautious than her brother is, but just as hot-tempered. Although she held no official position in the gang, the Jokers walked carefully to appease her, as Natsumi is also a good fighter, particularly with the steel rods that she favors.

Appearance: Yukio and Natsumi look very alike. They strongly resemble their mother, but their face is not as flat, due to their non-Japanese heritage. Yukio is considered good-looking and is fairly tall, 5’11,” and Natsumi is as beautiful as her mother is. However, Natsumi has a harder cast to her features that Hikaru lacks.

Names: Morgan Sakura Takayama and Garet Akira Takayama

Morgan and Garet are the twin children of Akiko, Hikaru’s sister. Akiko divorced her first husband and later remarried to Kyle West, who proved to be an exemplary husband and father. Kyle West was always kind to his stepchildren, but also raised them with discipline. Because he spoke Japanese as well, Morgan and Garet grew up learning the language of their mother.

The two of them had a normal childhood, which was briefly disturbed at the age of five when Akiko married Kyle West. When Rachel was born, the two of them accepted her, although they knew that they were only half-siblings. Tyler was born when they were ten, and the two of them looked after their younger sister and brother well, having a six year and ten year difference between them.

They lived in a rural area of Virginia, and Morgan and Garet both maintained good grades throughout their school years. However, once they finished with their work, the two of them loved to go walking and riding in the woods and hills of Virginia. Both of them were artists and writers, although Morgan preferred drawing to writing and Garet the reverse.

After they turned sixteen, their lives were disturbed once more by the entrance of their cousins, also twins, Eric (Yukio) and Isabelle (Natsumi). The two pairs were alike in more ways than one; they were both twins, and 3/4 Japanese at that, with the other quarter coming from a European. They even resembled one another physically, although Morgan and Garet were a little shorter, and didn’t dye their hair. They had a strong rapport with the other twin, and preferred each other’s company over friends. The males are older than the females in each pair.

But their personalities are different. Eric and Isabelle are hot-tempered and of a darker mien, and their rages are as wild as their mirth. They have fairly similar personalities, although they are different in subtle, telling ways. Eric possesses a charm and charisma that Isabelle lacks, but she has a cunning talent at manipulation and has a drive that allows her to accomplish anything, despite any obstacles.

However, Garet and Morgan are as different as can be. Garet is a friendly, easygoing lad. Morgan is more silent and withdrawn with an iron control over her temper, but sometimes it seems that her brother has no temper to speak of.

Even as Eric is the dominant one, so is Morgan, although to a casual outsider, it seems that Garet leads Morgan. Yet it is Garet who looks for Morgan’s approval, though she is the younger by a scant hour.

EDIT: (If you're confused by the fact that I refer to Yukio as Eric and Natsumi as Isabelle, I wrote this from Morgan/Garet's PoV-ish, and they refer to their cousins by their English names.)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
  8. wazawak

wazawak New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Liadan, will your characters be in the same American Midwestern city as the others posted?

In other news, here is the repost (with edits) of my first idea for the original post.

"A scattered handful of teenagers sit in what would be considered a math class, doing practice problems in their books. They never used to do this in class, the teachers often had some sort of clever activity for them. But now they were all sick, and the curriculum reformed by a desperate move by the administration to give some semblance to a proper class size. A dozen or so students, mostly freshmen, sitting in a mixed-and-matched class, trying to pretend like nothing was wrong and that the world was still the same world as it was a week ago. It was horrible to see, when the disease was bad- their faces were pale, their eyes rolled up all the way into the backs of their skulls, their lips perpetually pulled tight back against their jaws and their teeth clamped together, so hard they shook. It had come up only a few days ago, and everyone seemed to get it all at once it had spread so quickly. Almost everyone their age had caught it, too, forced to stay at home or filling the overflowing funeral homes. Few, if any, had time to register that so many of their friends were dead, or that so much of their extended family was gone. Almost none of them have any idea what death of this magnitude would mean for their civilization- the infrastructure dies with the people to manage it, the power grids shut down with no one to work them, cars pile up on the streets as their drivers collapse at the wheel. The only blessing that these people recognize is that most Plague victims felt their symptoms a few hours before death, and tried to spend their last moments in comfort- corpses are largely off the street, but they fill beds, couches, and offices. Most of their classmates were doing the smart thing and not going to class, recognizing the crisis gripping the world. The ones who are in class are the few who had either been willed to school by their dying parents or simply have nowhere safe to go, or the sad few that just go on doing what they do every day.

Tom, one of the freshmen staring blankly at the worksheet in front of him, mind clearly on other things, his mother's heart stopped beating last night, and he hasn't heard from his sister since he found out that she was infected. The only thing that keeps the schools going now is someone's bright idea to keep the curriculum- there were only two or three people well enough to run the school yesterday (their hands were shaking even then, and their vomit was still on the floor in some places), and now nobody had been seen all day. Tom suddenly snarls violently and casts his pencil aside in disgust. “This is ****ing bullshit. I'm not going to sit here and do f***cking math problems while my dad is on his deathbed."

Marshall, not far away, smashes a display case at the local Big K-Mart sporting goods section, and picks up a shotgun. His friend Craig,a freshman and Chinese like him, selects a scoped hunting rifle. Talic, Dennis, and Sparks, other rough-looking Chinamen like him, go through the area, looking for things they like. They all wear long K-Bars, lifted from the army surplus store, and Marshall has a pistol jammed into the waistband of his pants. A half dozen stray dogs of varying sizes roam the store, too, occasionally knocking something over, but they are paid no mind."

I'll work on a broader intro soon.

9. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Eventually, yes. I'm one of those people who prefer to begin working alone, at least. Although what city was this? :confused: I think I must have missed it somewhere.

10. wazawak

wazawak New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Carderton, a fictional town (just thought of the name) in Illinois. How a couple of kids in Japan is going to reach the United States- the Midwest, at that!- without planes or seaworthy ships, and most importantly without any reason to go, is quite beyond me, but if you can think of a way then by all means, full steam ahead.

11. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    .... If you bothered to read my profile, I had it written that they're in Virginia right now with their cousins.

12. AcrobaticHippo

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    I left the part about Tom out because I thought he was your secondary character. I was intending to tell you that I left that part open for you to edit it, but I guess I forgot to, sorry :(

Oh, and you can call me Jnanee.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
  13. Lord_Croanan

Lord_Croanan King and Conquerer

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I'll get up a profile once everything is finalized. I'm thinking my character will be the son to a powerful buinessman and his empire built on greed and blood, and when the plauge comes, it kills everyone but him and a handful of exuctives. The lad still has about a hundred corparate hitmen under him, some really smart technichans, and a funny lawyer companion and adviser. He'll proably spend his time fighting in gang wars trying to make it back to the top, if theres any left.

14. wazawak

wazawak New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Liadan, I'm not going to lie, I read it at about 1 in the morning, so some details escaped me. Sorry about it, and if you want to start your chars off in Virginia that's fine. I do have a problem with the fighting tournaments bit, though, mostly because it stretches probability too far- nonprofessionals very rarely beat professionals, whether it be in martial arts or any other athletic event, or any event period.

And Croanan, you do have to remember that the majority of people over 14 are killed by the Plague, with the oldest group to survive in any kind of number are 17s, with 18s being rare rare rare and 19s almost unheard of. Any older than that, and if one survives it's worth telling people hundreds of miles away.

15. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Hey, it's ok. :) I sympathize completely, I've done the same.

And actually, it is possible. My chars were based off people I knew in Japan who were in the fighting gangs (the Urawa Jokers is an actual gang, btw), and most of those details are true, including that fighting tournament one.

16. wazawak

wazawak New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's certainly POSSIBLE, I suppose, just very unlikely. A typical person thrown into a basketball game with an NBA player can be counted on to lose ninety nine times out of a hundred, and a typical person thrown into a ring with even an amateur boxer will lose nine times out of ten.

And if someone professes to be a master of a martial art and loses to someone with no training or just regular street experience, then, injuries/disease/age/etc aside, that person is a liar. Though you definitely have my interest at the idea, and if you'd give me a name I'd love to read into it more.

17. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, can't. Most of them value their privacy.

And the other thing is... martial arts masters don't really use their stuff in pratical terms all that much. Street experience can count for a lot...

18. wazawak

wazawak New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't believe you. From the martial arts masters I've met or who the people I work out with have met (Emin Boztepe, Leung Ting, Hochheim though I'm not sure he qualifies, etc), martial arts are used in a very very practical fashion. Martial arts are used to hurt, dominate, and kill other human beings, and the ones I have met or even read the writings of have never lost sight of this. I have fought both martial artists- not the joker black belts who have never taken a punch, but serious, dedicated martial artists who take their "sport" seriously (western boxers and wrestlers included)- and have found their practice in their style to be more than able to match an untrained but experienced street fighter. Maybe because I specialize in fighting untrained but experienced opponents, but a valid point nonetheless. I would rather choose a boxer, a TKDer, a JKDer, a karateka or a kung fu man on my side than a bar brawler any day.

And I'm sure there have been articles written about them if they beat "masters" in national championships, I would really love the chance to look into it. Or at least give me the name of the competitions or the name of the "masters" they beat. Are you talking about Pride or some other UFC-like thing I haven't heard of?

I don't mean to be too confrontational or anything, your character is your character, I'm just interested in this particular situation.

19. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Japanese competition, not international, and only national. Can't remember the name, I'm afraid - I speak the language, but don't write it, and it was written in Japanese kanji. :eek:

20. wazawak

wazawak New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Anyways, the first post is written. If there are no more edits, then I suppose it is time to pm the moderators?

Is it clear with everyone that I do this?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2006