RPG idea

Discussion in 'RPG Theme Suggestions' started by AcrobaticHippo, Mar 14, 2006.

1. AcrobaticHippo

AcrobaticHippo Determined

In Turtleopia, training Elan's turtles :P
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Well this is wazawak's idea, but I'm just putting it up for discussion here if anyone's interested in joining.

Basically, it's set in the far future, but when a plague comes and wreaks havoc and destruction, electricity, along with most of the world population, gets wiped out and the technology becomes obsolete. The only people who remain (aged 14 and below, though I was thinking we could raise the limit to 21) would not be able to resurrect this technology, so the setting kinda shoots back to the past - no techy devices, even the "basic" things we have now aren't available to them, so it becomes a "prehistoric setting" (where the really artistic people start drawing on walls, like the cave people did in the past - this idea was contributed by my brother :D )

Anyway, the kids and teenagers who remain start to mark territories and form gangs, and fights take place to determine which gang leader would be the "king" of that area or something - I was also thinking that the plague COULD mutate at some point in the RPG and affect those under 21, but instead of killing them for good, it reanimates them - as zombies or a newly formed monster, I haven't decided yet.

As for the geographical situation of this, well, it'll be happening everywhere, but I'm not sure whether or not we should focus only on one continent (e.g. former USA) or cover the whole world, where some people figure out a way to cross the oceans or something.

So, here're some points for discussion, feel free to add anymore if you want and I'll talk to wazawak :

-Which age demographic should remain unaffected by the first strain? (14-21, <14, Birth-21?)
    -Where is the conflict geographically set?
    -Should the plague start affecting the teenagers and kids at some point?
    -Where should this story start from? (when the adults start dying, when gangs have already formed, etc)

2. Sorcha

Sorcha Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I like this.

However, should I participate, I'd prefer to not haveta be 14 again :p lol. I'd say set it at 18 as the higher bracket end, because it would make sense if you're speaking of a plague of some sort. As a general rule, people peak at 18, healthwise. 21 at the most, methinks.

Or a few years after the plague strikes. This would allow the main players to have grown up for awhile, and maybe start putting things back together. Allow for at least a bit of sophistication.

I think it would be prudent to start it when the gangs have already formed. That way the backstory will be unaffected.

3. Jaymes

Jaymes Markham

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Suggestion:

If you do this I would say the whole world. That way people in like Venice (sorry about spell but the place where you use boats to get around the city) have like boats (those ones they row for romance) but they use then as like raiding parties and such. They bring that stuff over to the rest of erupe which the middle ages were set so theres a lot of musems with weapons and they somehow learn to make weapon like that (older kids do eventually but untill then just use those from musems) and so forth that way each like area has a certain thing to contribute. Just a suggestion though getting accros the sea/ocean is a prob.

4. AcrobaticHippo

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Yay, interest! :)

Well, I dunno...I was thinking of the RPG being centred on the fact that they haven't learned to cooperate yet...and that would allow for some interesting conflicts and fights before things get concluded (sophostication throughout would be boring, though there can be allowance for sensible people who want nothing more than to cooperate and live peacefully.

Start when the gangs have already formed? Okay, that's one vote for that option, I was thinking of a beginning where the adults start dying off (and fast-forward the whole process) so it'd be interesting to watch each character evolve from their role in a society ruled by adults, to people coming out to fill in their own niches in the newly-formed society (e.g. geek in former community grabs chance to be a savage or something) Still, good idea though, start voting for the options or think up your ideas, people! Keep 'em coming :)

Jaymes - Good idea you have up there :) Maybe they travel in a fleet or something, I know that's like a duh idea on my part :p but it could strengthen them in a way, make them have an army, etc etc.

I've already got my characters planned out, ooh my this is going to be fuuun :)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
  5. Jaymes

Jaymes Markham

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

6. Plish

Plish Soul Sailing Psychonaut

on mountain of fire, waiting for the ash to guide
    Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    Sounds very interesting! Would the buildings still be there towards the end of the plague...and does it affect the animals and creatures?

I don't have any real input on when the story would start...but I do agree with Sorcha in that I believe the age should start older, though the 14 y/o sounds cool too...and I like what Jaymes said too about the gondolas and the sword stuff!

7. AcrobaticHippo

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Lol, it was just an example :D Though you're free to create any character you want, base it anywhere, etc :)

Plish - It's okay if you don't have any input, participation from anyone is welcome! ^^ You may think of some awesome ideas as soon as your character is created, though :)

The buildings will still be there, but they'll serve only as shelter, and even that advantage can be cancelled out by full-blown attacks. As for animals...hmmm, interesting question, I was thinking that animals wouldn't be affected, because they'd serve as one of the primary food sources for the people (since the rest of the food will eventually spoil), but this is open to discussion :p

Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
  8. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Like Sorcha, I don't want to be 14 again. ;) Even if I'm only 15. :D

Will (probably) be participating. :p I'll also try to get in some input later, but I'm juggling writing posts, talking to people, and actually doing homework for a change. :p

9. AcrobaticHippo

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    What's wrong with being 14?! *whines* :p

10. Sorcha

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Absolutely nothing, but I'm rather attached to being 20 thanks :p

11. AcrobaticHippo

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Bahhh...14 going on 15 ain't a bad age...it ain't bad at all...*grumble*

12. Sorcha

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I'm pretty flexible on the ideas aforementioned. The only one I have a strong opinion about is age. Sorry Jnanee :p

I think the world you presented DOES allow for a lot of different things. I'd be amenable to the time table too :)

13. wazawak

wazawak New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow, and I thought no one was interested. If anyone wants to talk to me, IM me on AIM, my sn is softnosebeatstik.

The idea I had was that everyone under 14 is unaffected by the plague, with less and less survivors as you move up the age brackets. 18 year olds are very rare, 19 year olds are unheard of. And it wasn't going to be in the far future, maybe 10-15 years from now. Some sort of plague would erupt in some part of the world, swiftly carried about and then emerging from incubation killing off all the plague victims in a matter of days- this way, there would be no infrastructure in place to help the survivors. Animals are unaffected, they in fact flourish due to the sudden collapse of humanity. All the bulidings would of course remain, except for those burned down in riots and such.

I was planning to base the entire rp in one area, so more and more of the world would be revealed as time went on and how people survived in different parts of the world (there's a hell of a lot more oil in texas than in illinois, for example). I actually ran this rp out in a one-on-one AIM rp with someone for about a year of both real and rp time, and it was set in the midwestern United States. I'm very happy with how well it's going, and I would most like to set the RP in my home state of Illinois. (btw, if anyone wants to rp on aim- my preferred method- please PLEASE im me.)

The RP world would necessarily be harsh, nasty, and brutal, because in a world without the monopolization of force by the government, the one who survives is the one who kills for it. In other words, might makes right.

I'm really glad to see people interested in this, and I hope to keep this going. Thanks a lot for keeping this alive, Jnanee.

edit: I thought I'd post the original ad, so here it is.

Basically, a plague has flared up throughout the world, devastating the human population. Everyone under 14 is unaffected, with the casualties rising up higher with age. No one survives older than eighteen or nineteen, and in the rampant chaos and marauding bands of hungry children and teenagers, bastions of civilization start to form again, at first just people banding together to protect themselves from the raiders and the gangs.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2006
  14. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, I like Wazawak's thing, I think I might bump up my age a couple of years and be 17/18 though. :p

15. AcrobaticHippo

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    AIM RP? I dunno...not many people have AIM...RPGs carried out in forums llike TFF are better imho, since people can log in conveniently and post, not wait for everyone to come online before having their fun :D As for the far future...that was an expansion on my part, but I think your idea sounds better :p

16. wazawak

wazawak New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Absolutely, we should have a main rp on the site. AIM rps are impractical in any arrangement but one on one. But if anyone is interested in a one on one rp on aim (the kind i'm used to) im me on the sn i posted.

So, how does one go about creating a board/thread?

17. AcrobaticHippo

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Well the mods create the forums/threads, we just form a concrete idea through discussions held here and we can write our first post collaboratively and PM it to Nienor (boss lady of RPGs :D)

18. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    There are time differences, etc., and my 'net time is on a fairly random basis. Besides, on AIM, you can't really make nice long posts.... :halo:

19. AcrobaticHippo

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    wazawak, maybe you could rethink some stuff...I think majority of the people interested want their characters to be...slightly mature XP

20. wazawak

wazawak New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's no problem. Everyone can have mature characters, and I'll rp the rest of the world. If everyone is ok with it, I would want control of the board, I want to be able to godmode and all that.

AIM is a separate issue, and something I'd be glad to handle with anyone who's interested. Long posts are unnecessary with aim, a feature I actually find much more to my liking- it helps keep things moving, and you only go to long posts for extra special effects and extra special scenes.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2006