RPG Idea

Discussion in 'RPG Theme Suggestions' started by Liadan, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Although I'm involved in Crusader's #20 RPG, I wanted to throw out another possible idea just for kicks, one that's less intensely moderated.

This is based off an idea for a story that I had, but it's very unlikely that I'll ever finish it.

This takes place in the “real” world, but with magic. It is based on the idea that belief is strong enough to create reality, and where there is enough belief, gods, heroes, myths, and even ideologies are born.

This is the way that magic works: There are varying grades of magicians and sorcerers (made-up names or “orders” or whatever would be pretty fun) that all command a “summoning” (needs a better name, IMO - any and all suggestions welcome). The summoning are the gods, heroes, myths, and ideologies listed above. Prominent examples are Pride, Liberty, the Greek/Egyptian pantheon, etc.

The mages are all the descendants of Adam’s first wife Lilith. All of them are not-quite-human (a human being cannot see a summoning, unless that summoning is extraordinarily powerful enough to manifest in physical form) but their blood is very diluted. As a result, most are “lower grade” witches.

The goal is for these people to further their line/family of descent, whether by obtaining magical objects, killing each other off, or commanding powerful summonings. The problem with the first is that most objects are either lost or are completely guarded; the problem with the second is that then the witch becomes the next target on everyone’s hit list. Commanding powerful summonings also has its own dangers, as the summoning can potentially overcome its bonds and enslave the master instead.

Example: King Arthur was a summoning; Merlin was his sorcerer. When Merlin was killed by the team of Morgan le Fay and her sorcerer, Arthur did the best he could to keep the country together until a worthy human came along. In some accounts of Arthurian legend, it is said that Arthur fell victim to “hubris.” This is taken to be a metaphorical battle by today’s scholars, but it was in fact a literal battle between the Angel of Pride (commanded by yet another magician) and Arthur. Arthur was gravely wounded by Pride, and when Pride fled to recover, he planned to kill Arthur as well. However, Arthur was instead killed by Mordred, the child of the union of two summons (Arthur and Morgan).

Excalibur is one of the above mentioned artifacts. So was the Holy Grail.

Obviously this idea's pretty open-ended and based solely on a concept, rather than an actual story, at least at the moment. I'm looking for some support and commitment, but it's not exactly a super serious RPG requiring vast levels of creativity (which seems to be the way #20 is heading, and is thus rather slow-paced). Any modifications to the idea are also welcome, but be aware that I may just rip them off and throw them into my story if I ever decide to write it.

2. Rob Darken

Rob Darken New Member

In the midst of the Celtic Winter, following the v
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Sounds interesting, but I think it would end up super serious and complicated, despite peoples best intentions. I will watch to see how this progresses.

3. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    I'm waiting myself. Tbh, RPG writing is just a quick writing exercise for me, and I'd like more of it, but I'll live without it~