RPG #9 - The Five Dragons

Discussion in 'RPG #9 - The Five Dragons' started by Nienor, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    After standing awkwardly for several moments, Sharana again asked Aurelle, "Where are you bound and why?" Aurelle was under the impression she had sufficiently answered the other elf. But it was obvious the Sentinel didn't trust her. Seeing no good reason to anger the Sentinel she answered sweetly, "I am returning to the nearest Hospitality House after helping some forest elves with healing. My pegasus can't fly in the rain, so my journey is slower than expected." There was no reason to explain exactly why she was so far away from her order's grove.

Pausing for a moment, Aurelle could see the other elf pondering her explanation. Not wishing to get into further discussions, she excused herself and headed towards the tavern. Aurelle had no desire to sleep in a stable on a wet evening. Hopefully Cheerful Jak had already finished his drink and left the tavern.

Aurelle checked on Daun one last time before heading back out in the rain to the tavern. Her pegasus seemed wells settled in a dry stall with fresh hay. She would be fine until sunrise. The rain had settled down slightly as Aurelle made her way back to the tavern. Peering in the door, it looked exactly as she thought it would, dirty and full of disreputable people. At the bar was Cheerful Jak entertaining everyone by yelling, "Drinks for everyone, courtesy of Cheerful Jak". The stampede to the bar was overwhelming. For a moment, the poor barkeep looked overwhelemed by orders for ale and whiskey.

Shrugging her shoulders at the chaos, Aurelle sauntered over to the bar. She had been in worse places. Smiling at the barkeep, the elf plunked herself down on a stool next to the highwayman. "A large mug of mulled wine for me. Compliments of Cheerful Jak." she said. "A bowl of stew and a room, coming out of my own purse." Aurelle added. Aurelle thoroughly enjoyed the sour look on Jak's face when she ordered the wine. But what could he do to a cleric in full view of the tavern.

2. Draconis

Draconis Dragon Kin Mage

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    A 7ft tall figure wraped in a masive cloak entered the bar, brushed the rain from his cloak and stat down at the bar. "A flagon of Elderberry Wine please, as well as lodgings..." he hissed as a large scaled hand droped some gold on the bar counter. After a moment the Barkeeper brought the order and handed it to the large newcomer who siped at it and wached the room with a unseen gaze.

3. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Sharana frowned. She didn't quite trust the other's evasion, but she also respected the cleric's wish to keep silent. Dear gods, the innkeeper has some interesting guests tonight. Three elves, a bandit, and a cloaked figure... SHe shook off her thought and busied herself with readying her weapons.

"You can ride my horse," she said, "or we can use it for a pack beast. I prefer to fly."

Lendoril nodded, but did not say anything else. She placed her packs on the mare, as well as her sword; swords would be no use in the sky. She did, however, keep the Starwolf in her hand.

"Do you have arrangements to take care of?" she asked Lendoril. "It will be a long journey, and perhaps you would like to get word to your kin." His face tugged at her memory again. Why couldn't she remember what he was? Oh, she had his name, but little else. "And answer me just one question... why do I feel as if I should know what you are, at least by reputation?"

4. Elan Morin Tedronai

Elan Morin Tedronai The Forsaken

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    "My kin know of where I am headed. I have no need to send them any reminders..." he said as he threw himeslf up onto the horse the Sentinel had lent him. Placing his sword across the saddle he turned towards Sharana, "Though I do not know how you should know of my reputation. I spent most of my life in the realm of the Forest Elves. I was....one of two. A member of the Royal Guard. It was my job to protect the King against all harm. My life for his. I never left his side. If you have visited the King of the realm, no doubt you would have seen me before. Looking much more regal than this," he smiled, opening his arms to show the worn, dark Ranger garb he wore now.

"I have heard my skill with a blade is quite far-famed. I am the only Forest Elf to weild a curved blade, that is for certain," he said as he slid the katana from its sheath. Its beautiful, cold blade gleaming in the pale sun. He let the Sentinel inspect it, "I have never seen its like," she replied.

"Few have. I had it custom made in the forges of the Forest Elves," He gave it a quick spin with his wrist and thrusted it back into its beautiful, black leather sheath. He gave the hilt a tap, and turned towards the Sentinel.

"There is my story, atleast. Does it refresh your memory as to who I am ? And since we are sharing our life stories here, I'd like to take the oppurtunity to learn a little more about my companion."

5. Draconis

Draconis Dragon Kin Mage

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Drellisis drew back the hood of his cloak revealing a Draconic head with a pair of swept back horns and Blue green scales. "I Thank you Lord innkeeper, I will retire now." He wispered as he handed the now empty flagon to the bar man befor standing up and moving up the steps to his room.
    Once there the Mage droped volumus garment over a chair. "Blasted long way to go to find these 'Star Keepers'..." He griped as he started to care for his equipment. "no clue why the Master sent me ether."

6. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    “A guard. I might or might not have seen you; Sentinels are often envoys. My life isn’t very interesting, but I’ll share what I have.” She slapped the horse on its flank and started walking beside Lendoril.

“I am of House Ylavra. I suppose that my parents expected me to help advance their house, as it’s fairly minor. But I thought their games of politics rather stupid, and so I never really helped. My parents let me do as I wished after that, and I chose to train in weapons, as well as learning how to use my magic. Then the Sentinel came.” She paused to reflect upon that one magical moment when the Sentinel had picked her out from all the candidates. She had been very young, only sixty-eight (most Sentinels were chosen after they had at least several centuries behind them). By that time, she had mastered the bow, the sword, and knives. Her only problem had been magic. It had gone out of her control, at least until the Star Singer had seen her.

The Star Singer had trained her in magic first before teaching her of the mysteries of the Star Gate—and how they could draw upon the Well of Stars’ magic as well. Sharana had learned swiftly; in twenty years, she had learned what took most a century. Then she had gone searching for the Star Gate. It had taken her another six years, but she had tracked it down. By that time, she was ninety-four, and the Star Singer had sent her on her first mission. She had barely survived.

She told all of this to Lendoril, whose green eyes revealed nothing of the thoughts behind them.

“Then,” she continued, “Then the Star Singer gave me the test of the Starwolf. It was originally called the Windwolf, an enchanted bow long held by the Winged Elves in their treasury, although none have been able to wield it--except for her. The Windwolf eventually passed to the Sentinels when none of the Winged Elves could master it, and the Sentinels renamed it the Starwolf, waiting for its chosen bearer to master it. All Sentinels are given the chance to attempt to learn how to use it, yet, no one ever learned how to use it. But when I tried it out, it responded to my touch and so I won the Starwolf. It requires immense strength to draw and aim with it, but it does not easily miss I also suspect that it has curious magical properties that I haven’t discovered.”

“May I see it?” he asked.

Sharana hesitated. She hated to let the Starwolf from her grasp, but he had let her see his katana. So she placed the Starwolf in his hands as he marveled at the fine craftsmanship. When he handed it back, she offered him one of her arrows for him to examine. It was fletched with her own flight feather, and he commented on that as well.

“Winged Elves often fletch their own arrows with their own feathers. Well, you have my life story; does it satisfy your curiosity?”

7. Elan Morin Tedronai

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    "It does indeed," Lendoril replied politely, handing the arrow back to her. "Exquisite craftsmanship. I hear the Winged Elves are not often surpassed in contests of archery. "

The Winged Elf nodded back, and after a few moments, majestically took to the air, soaring high above the clouds. Here and there lost to Lendoril's sight. They travelled like that for a few hours, Sharana leading the way, while Lendoril rode the horse behind her. He wondered where she was taking him. He wished to become a Sentinel, and Sharana had promised to give him the trials. He would be a Sentinel. He knew it.

Even if he was not good enough, their numbers were ever dwindling, and they needed all the help they could get. Demons were cunning beasts, and could sometimes take weeks to track down. Surely a Hunter with his skill would be welcome in their ranks.

Lendoril looked towards the sky, growing ever darker as they travelld, and wondered if Sharana had ever felt this way about joining the Sentinels. She had trained in warfare, much like he had, and she was more than proficient with bow and blade. Much like himself. He suspected they would make a good team. Did Sentinels operate in teams, or alone ? Another question he needed to ask her.

When the rains started, Sharana flew back towards the ground, complaining that the weather made for dangerous flying.

"Would you like to ride, my lady ? My legs could do with a stretch," asked Lendoril, with all the formality due a Sentinel. He remembered when he was a Royal Guard, everyone calling him "Sir" and "Lord," bowing when he entered the room and complimenting him on every little thing. It was a strange turn of events that he was doing the same to another.

The Sentinel agreed, and thanked Lendoril as she climbed up onto the horses back, "But remember," she casually warned, "none of this 'my lady' business."

"Ofcourse...Sharana. I only mean to pay due respect."

"Ofcourse. Now, Lendoril my friend, why do you wish to become a Sentinel ? It is not an easy life, always full of peril. You can not own land, you can never be a King of a grand castle. Though you may rise through the ranks of the Sentinels. With time."

"To become a Sentinel....is something ive always dreamed. Before, at my village, I served our people well enough, and I was content. But eventually, as I travelled more, I saw a need for more than just my village to be protected. Demons had always attacked our strongholds, and our might held them at bay. But not all realms are as powerful as the Elves'. I saw many towns burned, many carcasses torn apart, even feasted upon. I had fought many enemies for my King, but here I saw a chance to not just fight for my King, but for the world. Everyone deserves protection, and the Sentinels offer it. I admire that, and wish to be a part of it."

"A good answer," she replied, as she brushed the wet hair from her eyes and threw up her cowl. She whispered something to the horse, and it changed direction, heading roughly west.

"Sharana, where exactly are we headed ?"

Last edited: Apr 27, 2005
  8. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Lendoril sounds as if he would make a good Sentinel… and a good companion to watch my back. But he’ll have to get rid of his noble ideals… the Sentinels exist only to watch and guard the Star Gate, although we do protect the people as well. She shook off her musings to answer his question.

“We’re going next to a chapterhouse of Dalin and Dhelian in the elven kingdoms before heading east for human kingdoms. I need answers from everyone. I think that we’ll be travelling out of the borderlands after a quick stop at the chapterhouse, and more into human kingdoms. It’s perhaps a day’s ride from here, so we’ll ride through the night. But when we reach the place, we’ll rest, then gather some information. Then we’ll head down to Jadin; it’s a fairly large city in one of the human kingdoms; I can’t remember its name. One more question: do you have any knowledge of magic or how to use it?”

9. Sorcha

Sorcha Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Raining again…too often for the normal southern weather…

Raythe watched the rain beat against the glass, an old manuscript in front of her on the desk by the window. The weather patterns are changing, she thought grimly. As if on cue, the candle she was studying by flickered and went out with a slight hiss. Pulling her cloak tighter around her shoulders, she pushed the wooden chair back, and got a striker out of the drawer. Drafty old building, she thought, relighting the candle again for the third time in as many hours.

Despite the cold and the damp, it was worth it. This old building held the largest library on magic and necromancy available. It would also be the perfect place to intercept the party that she was supposed to meet: a winged Sentinel, in the company of a Forest elf with black fingernails, possibly others. But those were the two she was instructed to look for, and they were sure to come through here. They were looking for information, and information was what they would find in this library, to be sure. Raythe had been informed that the pair would hear of the Library at Thayas at a chapterhouse devoted to the two gods Dhelian and Dalin.

The Library used to be a school for mages back many years ago, but rather disappeared off the map, quite literally. It was a legend. The Lost Library they called it, said to hold the most extensive collection of magic books and manuscripts, ones that existed nowhere else, and allegedly the Library held a book posessing the key to immortality. Raythe laughed bitterly to herself at the thought. Immortality always comes at a price, a reality rarely considered.

The secrets of living forever were truly just a myth, concocted by the common folk around the area to explain the spirits that had begun to walk the land. However, the rare books existed, and Raythe had spent the last week and a half studying them. The books she was interested in were in the basement of the Library, where only members of her race could access them. The necromancy books were also in the basement, but in a different room, and only her bracelet could unlock it.

Twisting her arm band around, she started thinking about her life prior to possessing it. It has become a shackle as well as a gift, she thought, and with a resigned sigh began to read the book again.

It was one from the collection on the Weavers. Not of her assigned reading, but she had explained to her Lord that it was necessary for her education if she was to fulfill her duty, and her potential.

It is said that the Weavers keep the dragons hidden, through their illusory weaving. Each family passes down the tradition and teaches their children to weave illusions, a skill that can sometimes take a lifetime to master. There are four great families, one for each cardinal direction, and four minor households for the intermediate directions. The families all have a special symbol, said to be tattooed on the forehead, only to be seen by select individuals with the seeing gifts.

Nothing I don’t already know, in other words. Closing the book with an exasperated sigh, she gathered up some other books that had proven all but useless and threw on a knit sweater over her dress, putting her cloak over it. No time for propriety, she thought wryly to herself, wondering what her family would have done if they could see her now. She picked up the candle, dripping wax on her hand. Cursing her clumsiness, she balanced the books, and exited her room.

Most of the building was shelves for books, but since it had been a school, there were dormitories tucked away in different levels. The room she had been staying in was in a balcony of sorts, overlooking the entire main library, which was circular. The books went as high as the domed ceiling, she presumed, but the fae lights were not functional in the dome anymore, so above her hallway, books faded into darkness. Peering over the edge of the iron rail, she got a bit dizzy, for the lobby of the building was on the bottom floor, and she was on the third. How the highest books could possibly be reached, she might never know. She assumed there must have been magical servants at one time, but no longer. The library was empty, for all save Raythe. And the dead.

Hurrying to the first floor down a spiral staircase, she crossed the lobby and entered a dark hallway. Glad for her light, she wound her way through the passages with practiced ease. She came to the end of the hallway it seemed, but she knew otherwise. Struggling with the weight of the heavy books, she kneeled before the door, almost falling over and turning over the candle. Calling on her ancestors, her blood, to answer her call, she placed her hand on the wall. The stone façade shimmered, and the illusion fell away, revealing a set of double doors, elaborately and beautifully engraved. Scrambling to her feet again, she picked up the books and the candle and entered.

The smell of the room was indescribable, but it was the smell of things old, and undisturbed for long years. Crossing the room, she placed the books on the various shelves where she found them, hardly looking around at the room. She knew what she would see. Shelves of books, drawers of manuscripts and scrolls, all on the Weavers. So far, all had been old records, and accounts of people who found the Weavers, and the dragons. She was not looking for history though, but rather their magic.

Leaving the room, she knelt before the doors again, and set the illusion back the way it had been.

She paused in the hall for a moment, as if trying to delay her current task. But she knew it must be done, and walked back the way she had come, making a beeline for another dark hallway. Walking purposefully through it, the air grew colder, and the candle flickered out, as it always did. Setting it down, the holder made a slight clink against the stone floor.

Closing her eyes, for it made no difference in the dark, she reached out with all her senses, trying to find the door. Following now familiar pathways, she reached the end and opened her eyes. Lit by two torches on either side, there was a large wooden door, not beautiful like the one for the Weaver’s room, but almost like a prison door.

Holding her armband against the wood was all that was needed to unlock the door, and as it swung open it made an eerie noise, seeming to Raythe like souls crying out in anguish. Hesitating a bit at the threshold, she steeled herself, straightened her shoulders and purposefully walked forward into the darkness.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  10. Elan Morin Tedronai

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    "One more question: do you have any knowledge of magic or how to use it?”

Lendoril let the question hang in the air, plodding along the wet ground as he looked up at Sharana, mounted on her horse. "As a Royal Guard, I had some rudimentry training in the Healing Arts, and I had also trained to use some hunter's magic; talking to animals, softening my footsteps... Only very basic stuff, and most of it forgotten. I never paid much heed to magic for fighting, my blade and bow are enough for me."

"I see," she replied, "that will change if you become a Sentinel. Ofcourse, you can choose not to use magic skills if you wish, but all Sentinels receive training in the Arts. It is up to you how far you choose to take it. Some choose to become great mages, and help defend the Well, some only use magic to enhance their abilities, or to sense the demon taint. Mostly hunters use that spell, it would be useful for you, I think..."

"How long did you train with magic ?" asked Lendoril curiously, as he wiped the rain from his dark hair, and pushed the long strands back behind his ears. You could never get used to travelling in the rain, it seemed. No matter how often he did it, it still got annoying. Good for hunting though, he thought, the rain washes away both footsteps and noise.

"I spent a good deal of time training with magic, though I would only be called a minor mage, at best. However, that does not mean I have no skills to speak of. I mostly trained with Healing magics, and some offensive spells. Though I dabbled in all. Like you, I prefer to use cold steel."

Lendoril nodded, "There is more honour in fighting an enemy with blades bared, than with magics from afar."

"Demons care naught for honour, so don't let that hold you back.." she said wryly, "if you are chosen as a Sentinel, I suggest you train in some of the deadlier arts....they can come in handy in a tight spot."

As she spoke, the companions crested a rise and came upon a group of buildings that looked oddly familiar.

"The Chapter House, " she intoned, "we have made it."

"And what will we find here ? " asked Lendoril, as they looked towards the entrance.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2005
  11. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Finishing up her mug of wine, Aurelle was beginning to feel sleepy and ready for bed. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Cheerful Jak leaving the tavern. She sighed with relief. It would have been difficult to spend the sleeping knowing he was nearby. Taking one last chance to prick his pride she teased, "If I ever run into you again Jak, it's my turn to buy you a mug of wine." With mocking seriousness she bowed to him sightly as he left. Since he hasn't tried to personally rob her, she had nothing against the man. But it was a shame to see such a wasted life. He wasn't lacking in intelligence or resourcefulness, just direction.

Aurelle couldn't shake off a feeling of nervousness about the tavern. Partly it was because she was the only elf in the establishment. She could never bring herself to fully trust humans. Few worshipped Soratha, not understanding how her weaving kept all of common life intact. There were adherents to Myrran, rangers of the woods. Lately though, those numbers seemed to be less and less. For a moment, she pondered what dark gods the humans worshipped; if any at all. Then she turned her thoughts back to what in the tavern was making her feel so out of sorts. True, half of the tavern was highwaymen and petty robbers. But Aurelle knew how to keep them at bay, they rarely made her feel so nervous.

Then she knew what it was. On the other side of the bar an extremely tall hooded stranger was staring holes in everyone's back. She couldn't imagine any proper business tha would make him stare like that. Most likely sizing up the tavern for a likely prospect to rob. There was no honor amongst thieves. Your companions were as likely to murder you as anyone else.

Since the hour was growing late, Aurelle decided it was in her best interest to get some sleep. Heading up the stairs next to the bar, she remembered the barkeep had mumbled her room was the second on the right. Turning the key in the door, the elf noticed the dark stranger mounting the stares. Hopefully searching for his own room. Taking the offensive she stated, "You do know sir, it's not polite to stare so when in a common room."

Nodding curtly to the man, she said, "Good night. May the Gods give you good rest.", then went into her own room. It was a small room. With just enough room for a small table, bed and closet. Aurelle put away her two bags containing her other robe and assorted healing items. She hung up her cloak and robe in the closet. It would be fine to wear again in the morning. Noticing someone had left a small bowl of water and cloth on the table, Aurelle washed quickly, barred the door, put her staff next to the bed and laid down. Before sleeping, she did her nightly meditations and prayers.

While sleep came quickly to Aurelle, she was awoken a few hours later by insistant banging on her door. Aurelle had thought the men here wouldn't rob a cleric. Most thieves generally avoided that; it didn't make sense to offend a god. Plus the fact clerics had little that made them a worthwhile target. But this one must be stupider than most she thought. With resignation, the elf got out of bed and dressed, all the while the man continued attempting to break into her room. When was fully dressed and had her packs ready, Aurelle picked up her staff then went to take care of the man.

When he wasn't pushing on the door, Aurelle picked up the bar. On the next attempt, the man came crashing into the room. He hadn't been expecting the door to give way like that. The thief landed flat on his face with a satisfying thud. She resisted the temptation to smirk, instead while he was down she chanted a prayer that caused the man to stay glued to the floor. It was better not to harm anyone if it could be avoided, the man would suffer nothing more than inconvenience.

Picking up her robe, Aurelle carefully stepped over him and said, "Let this be a lesson to you, Sirrah. Never rob a cleric, you are no match for one. When the light of dawn hits this room, you will be released from the floor. If I were you, I'd pray that first light comes quickly today."

Leaving the room, she made her way outside to the stables. With caution she entered. You never knew who was sleeping inside a stable. Fortunately, tonight it seemed quiet. Daun was in a light sleep, making soft whinnying sounds. For a moment Aurelle watched her, reluctant to wake the pegasus from her pleasant dreaming. But there was now some urgency in leaving, the tavern wasn't a safe place to be. The rain had nearly stopped, the pegasus would be capable of flying and there was a nearby Chapter House of Dalin and Dhelian. A cleric of Soratha would be welcome there for a few hours rest; even if it was after dawn when she arrived there.

Softly she whispered, "Daun, you need to wake now. This is no place for us to shelter." The pegasus mare woke up quickly and neighed when she saw Aurelle. The elf began walking out of the stable with the pegasus following. When outside Aurelle mounted and Daun took to the air. Before Aurelle could direct her mount she headed off to the hospitality house of Soratha, Aurelle had originally planned on staying at. "No, my friend," she said to the pegasus, "It will take too long to reach there. Instead, let us head to the Chapter House of Dalin and Dhelian. That will be a closer ride and we can stay there for a few hours of rest."

12. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    “What will we find here?” Lendoril asked.

“Food, drink, a place to rest… and information.”

“Ah.” He fell silent as Sharana dismounted and led the horse towards the buildings. One of the stable boys immediately took the mare. She stripped off her weapons and left them inside the stable, gesturing for Lendoril to do the same. However, she did not leave herself completely defenseless, and left one knife down her boot.

She strode into another building close by. There were cooks busily working away inside, and clerics of Dalin and Dhelian were carrying on conversations. Her stomach growled when she smelled the fresh food in there. They were served warm stew and bread hot from the oven, and the two ate in companionable silence. Lendoril seemed to be inhaling in his food, and she grinned. But her thoughts were gloomy as she pondered Lendoril’s answers concerning magic.

Almost no training in magic, and probably little in the way of subtlety, although his swordscraft should help. They always said that training in fighting was rather similar to magic… I’ll have to see how strong he is, first. He’s probably a minor mage, but anyone can be strong if they have the power of the Star Gate behind them. But oh gods… can I manage to train him when my own magic went out of control? But there’s no one else… only me… She shivered with fear and ignored Lendoril’s concerned look. It was not a pleasant thought. After the chapterhouse, we’ll move on to wherever Dhelian sees fit to send us, perhaps to the Star Gate or in search of some lost lore to find out why magic is disappearing from the land.

But she started when she heard the conversation about her. “I say the Lost Library exists!” one Priest was proclaiming loudly.

“It’s nothing but a legend,” someone else shouted.

“But Thayas used to be on old maps.”

“And so? It was years ago, and who can trust rumors? It doesn’t exist.”

“It does…” the conversation continued on, but Sharana did not pay attention.

The gods have answered my prayers. If anything, surely the Lost Library will carry information about our problem. Her mind raced for a few minutes, thinking about the risks. Lendoril was oblivious to everything but the food in front of him, which gave her more time to think.

Do I dare risk his life as well? Lady Dhelian—and Lendoril himself—forgive me, but I must.

She stood up abruptly, leaving almost half of her savory food untouched. Lendoril stared at her in surprise; he was already working at his third helping.

“Sharana…?” he began. “Is there something wrong?”

Sharana shook her head irritably. “No, not really. I just need to walk around a bit.”

“You rode all the way here and you still say that? Do you want me to come with you?”

“No, you stay here and finish your food,” she said with a laugh. “Finish mine, if you want, and I won’t be troubled if you stay here for another few helpings.” He shrugged unrepentantly and attacked his food once more. Sharana went back outside again, and found the stable boy.

“Is there a library around here?”

“Yes, my lady. It’s the building next to the one you just went inside.”

“My thanks.”

It was a fairly large and ornate building, and Sharana was careful to shake the water from her wings before entering the library. She blinked in the lamp light, trying to adjust her eyes.

“Sentinel,” she heard someone say.

“Aye?”

“I think you heard rumors of the Lost Library. I heard my two brothers arguing about it,” the person said, and her back stiffened as her hand itched to slide to her knife.

“Who are you?” she hissed.

The person gave a long, weary chuckle. “Nothing but the librarian here.” He stepped into the light, an old, wrinkled man. “I may be human, but there are things I know. As for the legend, you most likely know as much as I do—but I have old maps. Maps that are still marked with Thayas.”

“Why do you help me?” She was still suspicious, and her entire body was taut with wariness as she grasped her magic, ready to use it a moment’s notice.

“Because I hope that you may indeed discover it and restore its knowledge to the world,” the old man said simply. “Knowledge should not be hidden away thus.”

She slowly relaxed. This old man was nothing more yet nothing less than a true librarian. He had devoted his life to his books and the spreading of knowledge.

“Come here tomorrow morning, and I shall give you the maps. Give me some time to search for them,” he said, holding up a hand as she opened her mouth to protest. “In any case, you should rest.”

“Thank you, grandfather,” she said in respect, and he smiled. It was a gentle smile that lit up his eyes. She left as he began his search for the maps and bumped into Lendoril.

“We’re going to sleep. After we wake, we go to Thayas.” He nodded and both entered the guest dormitories and slept.

In the morning, they ate. While Lendoril packed supplies for the trip, she went back to the library for the maps. She promised the librarian to return when her work was done, and met Lendoril outside. It was, thankfully, a sunny day, and Sharana happily handed over the horse to the forest elf. She consulted one of the maps and started south, away from the lands of the elves and more towards human lands.

We go to Thayas. It sounds simple enough.

Except, of course, that the Lost Library did not even exist.

13. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Jak pushed his way through the door into the cold night, air, stopping only briefly for the fresh air before moving on to fetch Rum from the stable. Blasted Elf woman trying to get under his skin, at least the others were long gone, which was better than he had hoped for.

A quick ride out into the night brought on the cold and the damp. He would much rather stay in the warm inn but he was a stranger in these lands, and there was no one he could trust yet, that sentinel already showed him that word travelled fast here, maybe he should go back to easlier lands. Not something he should be considering after the ale in his belly, if he remembered, he's think about it in the morning. It wasnt long before Jak found a nice sheltered copse of trees over a cleft in the hills, a pertfect camping spot, he built up a fire with a ring of stones around to block the light, and the rain would take care of the smoke. He got out in bedroll and went to sleep by the fire.

He knew something was wrong as soon as he felt rough rope around his wrists, his heavy eyelids were reluctant to open but the bright sun slowly resolved the shapes around him into a small train of horses occupied by armed guards, one of which was laughing grimly, his fat belly shaking disgustingly.

"A day looking and we find the bleeder asleep when stop for the night, who'da thought it?" He added another laugh, the others didnt seem as amused.

"Shut yer gullet ramien, the jobs not done till we get him to the boss, and anything could happen till then, I still say we should stick him and keep him rolled up on the packhorse, less conspicuous that way" There was no joke in the voice, and as Jak turned to look he saw the gruff, serious looking man who owned it. The man looked at Jak and grimaced. "He's awake"

Jak laguhed, even though his throat felt like someone had replaced his drinks with granite and he hadnt noticed "You look a little frumpy, maybe you should smile more like me" He laughed again and got a fist in his gut, which started him coughing. It seemd he'd been caught in his sleep and tied up on his horse and taken along with these men, they werent the authorities, they had the wrong kind of stench for that, they smelt more like hired thugs, and their hard faced leader looked like some retired soldier. They could have been sent by any number of his enemies, its wasnt the first time hed been taken, but he couldnt see a way out of it just yet. Without the rope round his hands and feet it would be a tricky escape, he didnt even know which one had his weapons, or if theyd had all of them.

Theyre was a huge thunderclap it started to rain again, only this time, it was like the sky was falling, everything beyond ten feet began to fade away behind the downpour. Jak hoped against all hope that it was just this land's weather and not what he thought it meant.

14. Senekha

Senekha <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    Siobhann’s golden eyes scanned the morning light, looking for the fools she had enlisted the previous fortnight. If it had not been for her other concerns, she would have taken care of the job herself.

Thunder boomed, and it began to rain – not that Siobhann minded. The rain parted in her wake, leaving not a drop on her golden skin. The only annoyance was the poor view she had of the land.

Circling Krian above the foothills, Siobhann kept a keen eye out for any signs of her prey. She would not find it surprising to discover her “employees” dead, or worse, for they were not of the best talent; they had, however, been the cheapest and most convenient.

Siobhann’s eyes glittered angrily as she seethed over the money that had been lost to her. Those fools who were to deliver it to her had lost her wage – not the most lucrative, but the earning of it had been tiresome, and dangerous– to some highwayman, some robber; human, no less.

She could not bear the thought.

The pestilence that they call Humans is growing, she thought dourly. They have become bold, and arrogant in their ways.

At long last, the Sky Elf spied her quarry. They were huddled in a copse, hiding from the onslaught of the storm. Seeing that he fools had been successful in capturing the highwayman, she grinned, anticipating the pleasure she would have in extricating her needed information...and gold. She hoped only that he had not spent or lost her gold.

She circled Krian in a downward pattern, landing in the midst of the startled band.

15. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    As the rain lashed down onto the band of thugs with Jak tied in the middle, it became increasing clear that they werent going anywhere, shouts muffled by the roar of falling water sounded unitelligable, the fat one fell off his horse and was slipping over in the rain. Jak hoped he could get awya in the confusion but quicker than expected their leader brought them about into a dismal copse of trees.

"The Gods must be angry at you for treating me like this" Jak joked, if anything the gods would be happy at it, Jak made more than a few enemies by doing what he did, he was pretty sure he must have angered a few with his unrghteousness. His comment was greeted with another punch which knocked him off the horse he'd been slung over. and when he raised his head again, vision returning and hearing back, he saw another elf, this one dismounting an odd looking winged creature. Had he wandered into an elvish breeding ground? he reconsidered his proposal to leave and made a sound decision to ride like hell away from here the next time he got the chance. He got kicked while on the floor and dragged up to his knees infront of the elvish woman, surprisingly dry in this weather.

"you have something of mine" She said in a sombre tone, her face like a stone.

Coughing Jak looked up into her eyes "really? I dont remember robbing you before" He got kicked in the belly again by the grizled soldier. Coughing and spluttering, mostly from the rain pouring through the branches above he got up again to look at the elf. "Maybe its your cheer Ive got, you dont seem to have much of that, and ive got plenty" He laughed again, the thugs were about to hit him again but he stopped lauhging and floppe donto the ground. Curlving up backwards with his hands by his feet.

"Gold" She said, expecting him to comply at once, Jaks lip curled into a smile around his scar, and his eyes twinkled, Jak never let anyone treat him this roughly withough them bleeding, and he indended to make them.

16. Draconis

Draconis Dragon Kin Mage

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Drellsis awoke from his slumber and gathered his gear. "Time to go... Ok the Master wants me to find the problem with the magics, I know that. He also said to find the Keepers of the Stars or some such thing..." He grumbled as he sloged out into the rain and twards the Lybrary. The maste had given him a location on the maps to go but that gave nothing away.

17. Senekha

Senekha <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    "Really? I don’t remember robbing you before. Maybe its your cheer I’ve got, you don’t seem to have much of that, and I’ve got plenty." When one of the soldiers seemed about to kick the thief, Siobhann motioned him to hold the blow.

“I find it hard to believe that you do not remember stealing a large amount of gold. Perhaps I can give you something in return, a scar on your other side that will complement the one you have.”

Ignoring the thief for a moment, she turned to the henchmen. “You may leave; your part is done.” She tossed a small sack at one, who caught it deftly with one hand. “The promised reward is inside. Remember that I pay well for success.”

With an indifferent flick of her hand, she motioned them away. The thugs wasted no time in cleaning up their gear and riding off.

As she turned back to her captive, Siobhann saw him rising, his tied hands clutching a thick branch.

Without attempting to take the club from him, she asked coolly: “Robbed any stage coaches lately? Any pampered, fat Humans?” She circled, keeping out of arm’s reach of the club. She had no worries - five hundred year of practice in martial arts hardly left her with any fears of skirmishes.

When the thief hurled the club at her, it barely missed. Her face darkened. Humans were most annoying.

18. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Will Thayas hold the secret to why magic is disappearing? Sharana wondered as they approached the library. It didn’t look like much; just a shimmering in the air where the library should have been. It was a desperate race against time, and the Sentinels were steadily losing. Why is magic disappearing? Then she shook her head. Pointless speculating would get her nowhere, and she might as well put her time to better use by teaching Lendoril.

She landed beside Lendoril and began walking, ignoring his startled look. She inhaled deeply, trying to dispel her fears.

Will my magic go out of control again? And this time, the Star Singer isn’t going to be around to help me. Gods help Lendoril and me if it does… She murmured a brief prayer to the Huntress then began.

“Since you know almost nothing of magic, I’m going to begin by teaching you the basics. The magic that you were taught are all minor, and come from within. However, there are other sources of power besides your own energy.”

“Like Clerics,” Lendoril said, nodding. “They rely upon the power of the gods.”

“Exactly. Humans, for example, often rely upon amulets and store magic inside objects. We Elves are more attuned to the land than humans are, and we rely on magic from the land and the elements about us. We often call this Elemental magic, and this is the form that I was trained in.” A shadow crossed her face, and Lendoril wondered why. But before he could press her, she continued on.

“The Sentinels can also rely on another source of magic besides the land or amulets. We can often draw upon the power of the Well of Stars to augment our own power. But we don’t do this very often, save in times of emergency. Can you answer why?”

His brow creased in thought before replying, “The Well of Stars…is magic. If you drain too much, it will lose much of its power.”

“And its power goes to creating shields so that Cy’dath and Ki’dasva, the gods of chaos, can’t control it.”

“If it has so much power, then why do the Sentinels exist? It sounds like it could hold off demons on its own.”

“Yes and no. Again, it would require a great deal of power to destroy every demon within the land, and it needs all the power it can get to hold off Cy’dath and Ki’dasva. So—we exist to serve its needs and destroy the Chaos Gods’ minions. In return for our service, it grants us a few gifts. Greater magic, for one… and the ability to wield magic through the Song of the Stars. Another is the ability to speak to our brethren whenever we please.”

“And are Sentinels given these powers when they are initiated and they swear oaths?”

“Not precisely. The oaths are more of a ceremony. But you’ll see, Lendoril, when we reach the Well of Stars. If it accepts you, you are a Sentinel, even if you haven’t finished training yet.”

“And if it doesn’t accept me?”

Ah, gods, I owe him the truth, but will he turn away from me if I tell him? Should I lie? But she respected him too much to lie in this; Lendoril deserved the truth so that he could make a decision. “Then you won’t come out… usually.”

“What do you mean?”

She gave him a bleak smile. “The test, if it can be called that, is that a would-be Sentinel steps inside the Well of Stars. It’s depthless, and there’s no way you can swim. It’s not water.”

“But it’s called a well,” he said blankly.

“A Well of Stars. It is literally a well of the universe. When you are inside, you are among the stars. It’s a beautiful experience,” she said, her eyes misting over as she remembered. “The stars… sing and dance. In their singing and dancing, there is another source of power we can draw upon, but more than that, it’s beautiful,” she repeated. “You can see the stars reflected in a Sentinel’s eyes, did you know that?” Lendoril turned his head abruptly to face her and looked into the depths of her odd silvery-blue eyes, and almost reeled back in shock when he really did see the stars dancing. Sharana sighed as she continued to revel in her memories, and then her joy faded as sorrow replaced it.

“The Well brings you back if you passed its test. I don’t know what the test is based on. Sometimes, when they put in criminals, they were accepted and became Sentinels, much to everyone’s surprise. Sometimes, people who were well-loved by their people failed and didn’t come back. And some who failed came back.” There was a terrible shadowed darkness in her eyes, and this time Lendoril did question her.

“What happened to them?”

“The Well of Stars… sucked their power out, but it also sucked something… else out. We don’t quite know what, but they always wished they had died or that they had not come back. Death would have been a kindness for them.”

Her mouth twisted bitterly as she looked at Lendoril, and he recoiled from the blackness in her silvery blue eyes.

“But they’re not allowed to die. Not now, not ever. They have been given the true curse of immortality.” She paused as her face twisted in bitterness then continued on in a whisper. “Knowing this, Lendoril of the Forest Elves, do you still want to try to become a Sentinel?”

19. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    “Robbed any stage coaches lately? Any pampered, fat Humans?” Jak wasnt pleased, nobles with money were fun to rob, but people like this woman were dangerous. He thre the stick he'd picked up, testing her reflexes, not too good. He though about it for a moment, kepping his eyes on hers.

"Well let me see, I did take some nice heavy bags of gold from a fat pampered human, but i dotn have them anymore. I spent some and the rest i had with me, but when i woke tied up by your friends, It wasnt with me anymore, adn i doubt theyd have left is back there." He hadnt bothered to check where his takings were when he woke, he was more concerned with his equipment, which was packed by Rum on the other side of the elf.

She looked over in the direction of her hired thugs, frowning. Jak crouched and slid the flat metal knife from the gap in his shoe's sole, the one last one they had missed. He quickly undid his bonds and stood upright, stretching hsi arms. He had no doubt shes seen him, he was hoping she'd run over so he could stick the knife if her throat while she though he was scrambling desperately at his bonds, but he didnt expect she would.

"I'll tell you what, you take whatever golds left when you fond out hwere it is, and ill go off and earn the rest back for you, after all, what else are you going to do?

20. Elan Morin Tedronai

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    "Yes," said Lendoril, "I still wish to be a Sentinel. No roads in my life have been easy, I did not expect this one to be."

They countinued to travel towards this Library Sharana had spoken of, he wondered what it was. She had not explained much. Likely she did not know, she did not seem the type to lie to his face.

"Sharana, could...could you train me in this Elemental magic ?" he asked as he walked up beside her, his bright green eyes and her silvery blue meeting for what seemed an Age.

"Perhaps," she said, "but it would be more beneficial if you were trained by a Master Mage. It is their duty, and their life, to train new Sentinels in these Arts. You see, Lendoril, each Sentinel has their own duty. Some lend their lives to defending the Well, some become Hunters who track and destroy Demon-kin. Others become Healers, and some become teachers. It is not my place to teach you magic, but you will learn. If you pass the tests."

As they moved through the wetlands that surrounded the Library, Lendoril realized his stomach was growling, and food was on his mind.

"Are you hungry, Sharana ?" he asked, " I know I am. I intend to hunt us some dinner. If you would take the advice of an experienced huntsman. I'd say we should make camp here, or inside the Library. Inside would be better; more protection from the elements. But do you know what awaits us in there ? It could be dangerous."

As he moved towards Sharana's horse and unlimbered his bow, Sharana led the animal over to a tree and tied him to an overhanging branch. "I will await you here," she said, as she began to remove her equipment from her horse.

Stringing his bow, and tightening his sword belt, Lendoril stalked off into the surrounding forest lands. Vegetation was plentiful here, and rives and streams were in good supply. There would be plenty of wildlife here, he knew.

As he made his way deeper into the forest, he found no trace of any prey. This is odd indeed he thought, stalking through the bushes. He crept deeper and deeper into the forest, and came upon a group of disfigured corpses lying in a bloody mess on the forest floor. The bodies had been mutilated and feasted upon. Torn, burnt and chewed, the corpses made a horrible sight, and an even worse smell. It seemed they had been there for days. Maggots crawled on their innards, and flys buzzed noisly around them. Lendoril moved forward to investigate, but it was then he heard a deep, low growl. It was a noise he'd not heard since leaving the confines of his realm.

Demons.

Search tags for this page

dagon rpg 5 stars