RPG #5 - Of Aes Sedai and Asha'man

Discussion in 'RPG # 5 - Of Aes Sedai and Asha'man' started by Nienor, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Slightly chagrined by Kelaine scolding her like she was still an Accepted, Kori wondered how she was going to tolerate her until they found Steivan. Of course a Yellow would be the last person she'd ask to gentle a man, but that wasn't the point of what they were doing. Bringing enough Aes Sedai to gentle Steivan on the spot would probably alert him to their presence well before they reached him. Not to mention a horrible breach of custom. Koriandre truly wanted to be no part of gentling her own warder. She had seen Logain gentled in Tar Valon; that was more than enough for her. She wondered which Aes Sedai would actually do the gentling, as there we no rabid man-hating Reds in Salidar.

Purposefully keeping her expression bland and innocent she replied, "Of course we're not going to gentle him. Just find him and bring him back to Salidar. The Sitters can decide how to handle it from there." Taking a pause for a moment as in thought, Kori reached down smoothing out a slight wrinkle in her green skirts, then continued, "That was quite an interesting weave you put on Steivan.... I've never seen the likes. Almost looks like something a wilder would do."

Looking outside the window it was far too late for them to leave. Riding in the dark risked injuring their horses. Kori would never put her Cairheinian gelding, Morning Star, at risk. In addition, Taryn appeared to need more sleep in order to recover. "Since it is too late to leave this evening, we will meet at the north stables at first light and no later. Only the Light knows how far we will have to travel to locate Steivan." Nodding her head to Kelaine, "I bid you good night and wil see you tomorrow."

She murmured quietly to the almost sleeping Taryn, "Feel better. I know you are in the best hands staying with the Yellow Ajah."

Kori was about to bid goodnight o Maera when she remembered the woman had no place to stay here. She couldn't ask her to sleep in this tiny room with Taryn. There was barely enough room for the three women to stand together in here. Kori had felt like she was half atop the small bureau. "Come Maera." she began, gently taking the woman's hand. "I have a trundle in my room you can sleep on. You can tell me all about the Three-Fold-Land."

2. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Having located a secure dell near the edge of the trees he turned to regard the young man. He looked all in. It was understandable, he had been through a major trauma, enduring hours of believing he was going to be tortured to death by a Darkfriend. That, the long hike, the lack of rest and the after effects of the brandy had taken their toll.
    "Stay here boy, get some rest. We'll go and do a preliminary scout. Seiera will stay with you."
    His relieved look fell a notch at that.
    "Is there anything I can do?" he asked, obviously feeling some sense of responsibility and obligation. Perhaps shame too, at being left to rest while he was working. With a small wry smile he half turned and said, "Scratch her belly, she likes that."
    On cue she rolled over with a satisfied groan, presenting her soft, lighter underbelly. Smiling to himself he hiked off with the dogs to do a sweep.

The fields around the manor presented a problem. The lack of cover was only part of it, the ploughed furrows in some of them would slow them and the turned earth would show prints no matter how careful they were. The wall itself would aid them. It was a slipshod job, designed as much for show as defence, with enough openings to allow easy infiltration, comfortable hand holds if they were forced, or chose, to climb it and its height would give them cover from the house itself once they got close enough. The boy had provided reasonably accurate information although he seemed not to understand the reasons for some of the questions. Typical of the nobly born not to understand why the numbers of workers in the fields may be important, nor the numbers of servants in the manor. Even his enquiries about windows had been initially met with puzzlement. He chuckled softly to himself, wondering if the boy was having fun with Seaine. She could be boisterous and affectionate in play, though almost full grown she was still little more than a child, but she would sense anyone coming from quite a distance and defend the boy with her life if necessary. She was her mother's cub.

Turning his mind back to the matter in hand he began to turn plans over in his mind. He could already see several methods of accomplishing the basic goal, ranging from the barbaric to the last ditch snipe. Which would rest on the questions still to be asked and the capabilities of the boy to see it through. Coming around to finish the sweep he noticed two dark figures nearing the front of the house. Visitors? More muscle? Impossible to tell yet. Completing the circuit and linking up with the hounds he left them to keep watch and made his way back to the dell.

He was still unsure of the boy, he seemed to lack any spark, any of the fire that he would need. Still, it was possible that he was still recovering from the shock, time would tell. With maybe a little prodding.

The scene was almost comical, the boy sitting with his back against a tree, arms folded, glaring across at the large bear, unconcernedly licking her paws and tidying up her fur. Was that a hint of an impish smile in the corners of her mouth or just the light? Forcing a straight face he strode forward.

"Well rested Boy? Can't have you needing a nap later on. Now Boy, I'm not your nursemaid and won't babysit you through this. There are important decisions to be made and there aren't any adults around to make them for you. There are several ways we can do this. The simplest and safest for us is to take out the guards, seal the doors and burn the place to the ground, killing anyone who makes it out. You have hinted that there are innocents inside however and I'm willing to bet there's a woman involved in it somewhere so I doubt you will have the stones to choose that path. Another option is that we climb the wall and I shoot the filthy slave of the Shadow through the head. But both of those go against my methods and you as good as swore to do the deed yourself. I may be criticised for holding a child to his word but that I will do Boy. Which leaves the most dangerous path. We go in, identify the guilty ones, pass sentence and withdraw, preferably removing all evidence with us. That way your sweetheart will be spared the sight of the corpses and their friends, who will come to investigate eventually, will have nothing, not even proof of their deaths. Well Boy? This is your decision. Speak up child!"

Now we'll see if there is any spirit left in him at all, he thought.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2004
  3. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    The stranger ventured back, it had seemed to Raheryin almost as if he had not left. He moved quickly and quietly, and Raheryin did not notice him for a good period of time. But the short rest provided had helped Raheryin in many ways. He may still have been physically tired, but that was to be expected. Now, however, his mind seemed sharper and more agile. The effects of the brandy seemed to immediatly dissipate and Raheryin rose to his feet and passed a hand through his dark hair while he listened to the stranger propose his plans.

"The first idea will not be heard of. Period. I am carrying this task through to save innocent people from the wrath of Urayio, not to murder them with him! I do not care how safe, nor how simple it appears. If we are to do this, we do it right. You are correct, there is a girl involved. Lord Urayio's eldest daughter. However my choice does not base itself from her, it bases itself from my values and morals. No innocent person deserves to die, therefore no innocent person will die! I do not believe the girl to be a Darkfriend like her father, I am almost convinced that she is not. However, if we find any connection to her being one, she shall recieve the same outcome as her father. I may not have the heart to do it, but I certainly will not hinder you from delivering the proper sentence.

"I still stand by my word that I will handle Urayio though. He shall be mine. Thus, we are left with one choice. Your final proposal. It does appear to be the most dangerous, but I am willing to risk my life tenfold to make sure those innocent will remain alive."

Raheryin realized that he had raised his voice quite significantly, and had accidently been yelling at the stranger. Sitting back down onto the ground, he passed another hand through his hair.

"I am sorry for my getting carried away. I did not mean to raise my voice. You do not realize the amount of gratitude I hold for you helping me in my task. If all carries through as planned, I swear that I shall be in your debt. And I will repay that debt, in whichever way you choose, under the light."

4. Unraveller

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    "About time you showed some sign of life, I was starting to worry there was none left," he said with a slow smile.

"So, you will pay your debt to me in any manner I will choose? I will hold you to that, should I decide that there is a debt to be paid. I may make you crawl behind me, naked, like a pig, grunting. Aaah, there it is." The young man's face had flushed crimson, whether with rage, embarrassment or the realisation that what he had intended as a noble gesture could have such a consequence. Young lordlings never did think before they spoke, more than one had let himself in for a similar situation.

"There is one thing we must discuss, a peculiarity. You are nobly born, with a high opinion of yourself. You have admitted making rash decisions in the past and I'll wager you carry more than one scar from fool duels, though they be banned across the Borderlands. Yet with all this, my young hothead, you calmly acept being called "Boy". Another thing, after I rescued you and you poured your heart out on the ground you enlisted me to aid you in the destruction of a powerful Darkfriend. Without trying to find out anything about me. Now there may be many answers to these riddles, and I'm sure you could spin me many more, but I will satisfy my interest and seek the truth in my own way. Answer me this question Boy, which name tells a man most truly, the one he is born with, the one he chooses or the one he is given?"

5. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    "A strange and tough question to ask of me, but I shall give my honest answer. The name which tells a man most truly is not the name he is born with. The birthname is no more important than the bells that were in my hair, both are easy to cast aside. Birthnames are a close connection to one's past and heritage, it shows family relations and culture, but does not go farther than that. More often than not, the situation arises in one's life to abandon the past so that one can look forward to the future.

"The name a man chooses for himself is perhaps closer than the birthname in telling others who a man truly is, but it is still vague. A chosen name can easily be affected by the arrogance of a man. It will not help show who the man truly is, because this man can warp the name to fit the image he seeks. No, I am afraid that the chosen name requires too much effort when trying to understand a man's identity.

"That leaves us with the name a man is given. It is my opinion that this is what shows who a man truly is. Names given usually do not stick with a man unless several people come to use them frequently. The common opinion gained from several close sources is usually more accurate than that man's own opinion of himself. A given name is a reflection of the man's external actions and outer personality.

"That is why I have no objection to you calling me Boy. I have given you my birthname, but to you, Raheryin is just another word. All it can reveal is perhaps a northern influence. I could have given you a number of names I have chosen for myself, but I am positive that all of them would have no more affect than my Birthname did on you. You calling me Boy is how you see me. It is your opinion of me. Whether or not I believe it to be true, that is the outward image I present. I have labelled you as a Wild Stranger, an outcast of society, because that is what you appear to me as."

Last edited: Nov 7, 2004
  6. Unraveller

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    He chuckled deeply, his eyes twinkling, it felt good to be sure of him at last. "Well said my boy, well said. My own description is not so far off, a man's birthname describes what he should be, his chosen name what he wishes to be and his given name what he is. Most truly can speak the name given by an enemy, as those who know the names of the Forsaken will know. But one thing you missed. A name can say who somebody was most clearly of all. You tell me your name is Raheryin and are right to say that it is just another word to me. It can speak though, it tells of the north, and also of a family that did not have to struggle against starvation. Indeed, it could speak of Tear, and Cairhein before were someone to listen closely. But perhaps I should use it until you come into a better. For my part, names matter little to me in themselves, it is the connotations that are important. I have carried many names in my time, and been given more but I seldom keep one for long. I travel too much and talk too little. There is one name that pleases me though, one given by an enemy. It fulfils the need people seem to feel for a title and though given as an insult I carry it proudly. So, should you wish it, you may call me Shaedin until a better comes along."

He rose, half turning, and slapped the young man on the shoulder, making him half stagger. "Come. It is time to see if you can earn yourself a name."

Crouching low they crept through the trees and advanced toward the Manor through the growing dusk.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2004
  7. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Daranbar and Ahsdale approached the main gate of the estate, both a bit on edge. Daran couldn't decide if it was the atmosphere of this house, or his companion’s peculiar behavior. Other than a pair of guards at the gate, and a few passing as sentries along the wall, the scene was unremarkable. Yet Daran still held the power in his grasp. It wasn't out of necessity, more he hated letting go. He could see and feel things that would never have caught his attention without Saidin. The smells were so much more vivid, the colors brighter, he thought he could see individual strands of fabric in his companions coat as the rode along side by side. The sounds were . . . were off just a bit he realized. A subtle shifting and rustling in the tree line that he nearly missed even with his power enhanced senses. He knew for sure that if he had not been holding the One Power he would never have noticed.

"We are being watched." Daran Said to Ahsdale as the continued on toward the gate. "Don't look! Whoever it is, is skillful, that's for sure, I nearly missed the signs. Perhaps we were seen riding out of thin air."

As they reined their mounts in before the two guards Daran let go of his hold on Saidin, he could always grab it again with a moments notice if he needed to.

“Good day.” Daranbar began speaking to the guard nearest to him. He took note of a strange expression crossing Ahsdale’s face as he studied the pair of guards. He made a mental note to hate a talk with his companion at the next possible time. “We seem to have lost our bearings, perhaps you could help us.”

As Daran and the guard spoke he continued to glance over at Ahsdale, wondering what was bouncing around in the northerners head.

8. Elan Morin Tedronai

Elan Morin Tedronai The Forsaken

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Ahsdale did not fail to notice Daranbar looking at him on and off, but he did not care. His attention was concentrated fully on the man he was talking to. Unremarkable at first glance - just a low ranking soldier guarding the front gate - but Ahsdale saw more. On his head sat a dark coloured smudge, now black, now dark grey, it made a swirling, slighty dirty mark on his forehead. Ahsdale stumbled back in shock, trying to get away from the man.

"What are you doing ?" asked Daran worriedly. "Nothing," came the reply from Ahsdale, "I ah....think I just had too much to drink this morning, heh, you, ah....you know how it is......"

Daranbar continued his conversation with the guard, and Ahsdale listened intently. He could not believe he saw that mark in the waking world. It was only a dream, but he clearly remembered Ba'alzamon telling him it was his "gift" and that he should "seek those who bear the mark."

Was this guard important somehow ? Or was there something more sinister at work. Why should he trust this Ba'alzamon anyway ? He could have been Shadowspawn for all he knew.

Daranbar finished his conversation with the guards and started to walk back to the horses. Ahsdale ran up beside him, "Daran, my friend.....do you know who....Ba'alzamon is ?"

Daran's dark expression revealed his mindset. Ahsdale waited for the reply, expecting the worst....

9. Sorcha

Sorcha Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Taryn saw the annoyance in Koriandre’s expression, before it was quickly veiled beneath Aes Sedai calm. Judging from what she knew of the Yellow Sister, she came to the conclusion that whatever had passed between the two Aes Sedai was probably a scolding by Kelaine of Koriandre’s tactlessness with such a delicate matter as a channeling warder. As a result, she immediately felt sympathetic towards the Green Sister.

"Of course we're not going to gentle him. Just find him and bring him back to Salidar. The Sitters can decide how to handle it from there." Pausing for a moment, Koriandre smoothed her skirts and added "That was quite an interesting weave you put on Steivan.... I've never seen the likes. Almost looks like something a wilder would do."

Taryn started to laugh, but hid it in the guise of a yawn. Taryn moved back over to her bed, as it and a rather uncomfortable chair were the only places to sit in her small quarters. Feeling her eyelids starting to droop, she struggled to stay awake. It appears that I am more exhausted than I had imagined, she thought with a yawn, a genuine one this time.

"Since it is too late to leave this evening, we will meet at the north stables at first light and no later. Only the Light knows how far we will have to travel to locate Steivan." Koriandre said, bringing Taryn out of her half asleep state. She nodded to Kelaine and said, "I bid you good night and wil see you tomorrow." Quietly, Koriandre turned to Taryn and said in an almost whisper “Feel better. I know you are in the best hands staying with the Yellow Ajah.”

“Thank you, Koriandre Sedai,” Taryn sleepily replied. She was vaguely aware of more words passing between the other three women, and then they all quietly departed. She changed into her nightclothes, and, too tired to think of much else, climbed into her bed. She blew out the candle at her bedside, and as soon as her head hit the pillow, she fell into and exhausted, dreamfilled sleep.

Walking home was always so frightening, especially in the dark. Her job in the local market paid well, but the night walks back to her home was always so dangerous. Keeping her eyes on the path and not looking at the various drunks and lechers in the back alleys. Her father had always taught her to be prepared, and in this section of the city, she had to be. Two small throwing knives were concealed in her sleeves. She had been taught by her father how to use them, and had shown a talent for the weapons. Lost in memory, she did not see the shadowy man creep up upon her. She had no time to react before she was slammed up against the wall, a knife pressed at her throat. “Please, don’t hurt me,” she managed to gasp out, as she tried to get to her knives. “Give me your money, me pretty one,” the man rasped in her ear. He loosened his grip on her but kept his knife at her throat. She pretended to reach for her purse, but instead kicked him in the groin. As he was doubled over, she ran screaming for help, but he lunged at her again, forcing her to the ground. She grabbed the hand with the knife and tried to force it away from her throat, but to no avail. As he dragged his knife across her throat, she felt warmth spreading over her neck, yet a coldness seeping into her limbs. Vaguely, she heard “Won’t scream anymore, will ya me pretty?”

Not like this, she thought, I will not die like this.

Suddenly, the man was gasping for breath, as if someone was strangling him, and warmth was spreading up her arm where her hand grasped his wrist. Simultaneously, she felt herself grow stronger, the sinew and muscle in her neck knitting together. The man fell upon her, dead and cold already. Sitting up and coughing she reached a hand to her neck, where there was just a thick scar instead of the fatal wound of a few moments before.

She awoke with a start in a cold sweat, gasping for air. She hardly ever had dreamless nights. Most of her nightmares were always unremembered the next morning, hazes of pain and screams for help. Except for these. These were memory. It was before dawn, but there was no way she could get to sleep anymore that night. More time to pack I suppose. Lighting her candle, she climbed out of bed. Taryn pulled out the small washbasin, and filled it with water. Splashing the cold water on her face, she looked up into the mirror over her dresser. Grayish eyes set in a thin face stared back at her, framed by almost white, long eyelashes and pale arched eyebrows. Pale skin and colorless cheeks gave her a very wan appearance, especially added with the hollows under her eyes. I certainly did exhaust myself, she thought. Better get used to exhaustion I suppose. Turning away from the mirror, she brushed the knots out of her whitish hair and tied it back and changed into one of her split riding dresses, one with a high neck, as always, to hide the scar that marred her neck. It kept people from asking questions. Looking around her room, she contemplated what to pack. She laid out a brush, her two knives, soap, and an extra shift, shoes and two more dresses. Looking at the pile of rather pitiful possessions, she went to her drawer and pulled out her mother’s necklace, the only possession she really cared about. Taryn had never told her parents, or anyone else, what she had done to the thief.

“Never again,” she said aloud, as if reassuring herself.

She had vowed after that night to never use that part of her gift again, no matter what the circumstances. So far, she had been able to keep that promise. Wrapping her things up in two blankets, she placed all of it into a sack. Turning around and taking one last look at her tiny room, she noticed that the sky was starting to lighten. Hoping she was not late, she hurried out of the Yellow quarters quietly, shouldering her bag as she walked. The air was humid and hot, even though it was early morning, as it had been for weeks. Approaching the stables, she saw Koriandre and Maera were already there. Nervous around people as always, and dreading the journey, she walked determinedly forward, her heart beating so quickly she thought they all could surely hear it.

10. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    “Ba'alzamon? One of the many names for the Dark One.” Daranbar replied to his companion as the leisurely rode away from the gates of the estate. “But I assume that your question was rhetorical.”

Daran surveyed the landscape as they rode, embracing the Saidin once again and listening for any signs of whomever, or whatever had been following them earlier. Nothing seemed out of place, but even with his keen, power-enhanced senses he doubted that he would be able to pick out every little sound this far from the trees. Their location was easy enough to discern, they would need to ride for a day or so through the wooded land to reach Salidar, from there . . . Daran was still mulling over any possible actions they might take to enter the Aes Sedai infested town unnoticed. It wasn’t the Aes Sedai that bothered him, at least not from the perspective of sneaking into the town itself. All the Warders that would no doubt be lurking about in the area would be where the challenge would be. Like a nest of vipers hidden beneath the dense foliage of the forest, and Daran had no idea how they’d get through without stirring them up.

“I assume you question has something to do with your odd behavior?” Daran said, pulling his attention back to Ahsdale.

11. Elan Morin Tedronai

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Daran finished his sentence and looked towards Ahsdale again. "Odd behaviour ? Oh, you mean before..."

"Yes, you looked like you saw Old Grim riding with the Darkhounds," chuckled Daran quietly. "You mean you didn't see it ? You didn't see the mark ? On, on that mans forehead." Ahsdale replied.
    Daran stopped walking and looked straight at Ahsdale, "I don't know what your talking about."

Ahsdale studied the man's face. He really hadn't seen it. Light, he's the one supposed to go crazy thought Ahsdale as he turned his attention to the road. "I saw a mark on that man, a dark, dirty smudge. I don't see it on you, and I haven't seen it on any others as of yet. I don't know what it means, but, I think that we should stay away from that estate. Something festers in the heart of it. Something....evil."

"Ahsdale, my friend, I think your seeing things." Laughed Daran, knuckling his goatee. "I am not seeing things. I, I think Ba'alzamon did this to me. In my dreams."

"Listen to yourself Ahsdale, do you hear what your saying ?" replied Daranbar, obviously slightly amused. He always seemed to be slightly amused.

"I'm not making this up, Ive been seeing visions for some time now. Ever does Ba'alzamon appear in them, calling me. This time - last night - was different though. He said he had given me a gift. And that my true calling is to seek out people with that mark. But.... though I am loth to admit it, the mark....well, it gives me shivers, it feels..... wrong somehow. It's very dark, like.... like it's the person's soul I'm seeing, and his... is evil. I think that man is a Darkfriend."

12. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Bringing Maera to her room in the Green ajah's quarters, Kori looked around for her housemates. She would rather not explain to anyone who Maera was. She was sure one of the other Greens would immediately drag the woman to Sheriam to make her a novice. At this point in time, Kori felt having Maera on her side would be useful. If Steivan became a problem, the Wise One could help shield him. Kori wasn't sure how strong a channeler her warder had become or how much help Kelaine would be when they located him.

Reaching into a closet in her medium sized room, Kori pulled out a clean set of sheets that would fit the trundle bed. In this heat nothing else was necessary. Thinking back for a moment to Tar Valon, the Aes Sedai remembered how nice it was to have a maid to take care of mundane issues like this. But imagined it would be worse. She could have to wash her own sheets! While finding a nightdress for herself, she noticed the Wise One didn't have many possessions with her. Her pack looked like it carried hardly more than a change of clothes. Remembering that Aiel lived in such a harsh area, she assumed the woman was unused to luxuries anyhow. In fact, she looked rather oddly at the bed, like she had never seen one before.

Before she snuffed the candle near her bed, Kori spent a few minutes talking to Maera about her life as a Wise One. Oddly the tower knew very little about these people, despite the wealth of information contained in the libraries. Maera did her best to explain some general customs, but Kori thought it could take a lifetime to learn them all. Blowing out the last lit candle she said, "Sweet dreams, Maera. Hopefully tomorrow will be better than today."

The Aes Sedai laid down in her comfortable bed and quickly went to sleep. She was exhausted by the earlier events of the day. In addition she knew it would be an early morning. It always paid to set out with the sun when traveling. While sleep came to her easily, peaceful dreams did not....

Cautiously watching the shifting color patterns, Kori remembered where she was; back inside the Ter'Angreal used for Accepted testing. In the back of her mind she attempted to resist revisiting this memory, but seemed helpless to stop reliving the experience.

Standing in a courtyard, Kori remembered the feeling the chill in the air, concentrating so hard on Saidar she could feel every detail of the world about her. The sky was an intense cloudless blue and she could even hear the breaths of the 12 other Aes Sedai gathered around her. The colors on her seven striped stole seemed even more vivid than usual. Impassively she stared at the bound man in the center of the circle. Despite his pleading eyes, she linked with the other Aes Sedai in the circle, performing the weave that would cut off his access to the One Source.

Once it was completed, the man shook once, then fell over dead from the shock. Koriandre dressed in the clothes of the Amrylin seat merely ordered the man buried and went to her quarters.

Waking up abruptly in a cold sweat, Kori repeated the mantra she had said over and over that day, "I could never do that. I will never be that horrible." Dread filled her despite that. She now realized she could do that. To be Aes Sedai always required challenges you never expected. If it became necessary she would be part of the circle that gentled Steivan, even if she didn't want to. Her duty to the Tower was more important than personal feelings.

Outside her window the sky was lightening slightly. Yawning a little she stood up and went to her wardrobe. Pulling out her favorite forest green riding gown she began getting ready for the day. After donning a soft silk shift and stockings, Kori pulled on the green divided riding skirt embroidered at the hem with small white flowers. Reaching down she fastened the buckles on her black leather boots, smiling in pleasure over the small golden chains encircling the ankles. Then she donned the matching silk top, embroidered with the same small flowers down the sleeves and at the low cut neckline. Taking a few moments, she fastened all the pearl buttons up her back. Reaching into her bureau, she pulled out a gold decorated leather belt. Clasping it to her waist, she added her gilded dagger in it's sheath to her belt. Finally dressed, she sat down by the mirrored table to comb and style her long hair. In a couple of moments, it was neatly contained in a braid decorated with matching green ribbons.

Ready for the day, Kori turned around to see if Maera was waking. The Aes Sedai was slightly suprised to see her curled up on the rug with her sheet; the trundle was untouched. Going back into her wardrobe she took out two more riding dresses, one a bright emerald green and the other grey slashed with a lighter green. Folding them neatly and placing them into her saddlebags she added two shifts, one nightdress, stockings, a comb & brush, all the golden coins she had in her possession and a couple other miscellaneous personal items.

Once her saddlebags were ready, Kori was about to wake Maera when she saw the woman had already quietly woken up and got ready. Her small amount of possessions were still packed and ready to go. Smiling slightly she wished the other woman a good morning. Walking back over to the mirrored table, Kori remembered to clasp a pair of peridot earrings and dab on perfume before grabbing her saddlebags and heading out.

There was hardly anyone about this early in the morning as the two women swiftly ventured over to the stables. Enjoying the view of the sunrise a thought came to Kori and she asked, "Have you ever ridden before Maera?" leaving the question hanging in the air. They reached the stables quickly; the Aes Sedai began giving orders to the one available stablehand to have her personal horse, Kelaine's and two others saddled and ready to go. While in the midst of giving orders, the sun began to rise and Taryn joined her and Maera in the stable.

13. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Daran thought for a moment on Ahsdale's words as the pair made their way across the field. Daranbar noted the brown, wilting grass that should be green and lush, were it not for the heat and the lack of rain. He was reminded that the Dark One was reaching out to the world and that the Dragon was Reborn.

"I am sorry my friend, I can see that this is no joking matter to you." Daran said, still stroking his goatee and giving Ahsdale's dream consideration. "I suppose that Ba'alzamon showing up in your dreams is no less likely than a channeling man in a black coat walking freely in the world, eh?"

Daran studied Ahsdale for a moment as the other man gave a short chuckle that sounded entirely forced. "I think that we should be wondering why the Dark One is invading your dreams. We must assume that he wants something of you, and since you are not in his employ . . ." Darn studied his companion again, wondering briefly if he were a Darkfriend playing out some scheme. He dismissed the notion as he had no real way of proving it one way or another at the moment. "Assuming that he wants you to seek these smudged people out, I can only guess that your assessment of them being Darkfriends is correct. A better question for you to answer would be, what do you intend to do with this information?"

Last edited: Nov 8, 2004
  14. Elan Morin Tedronai

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    "I don't know, burn me, I want nothing to do with this, and if these people are Darkfriends, why would I have to meet them ? Does Ba'alzamon want me to join him or something ? Heh, he obviously doesn't know Borderlanders...."

Ahsdale kept thinking about that man, would it be just to kill him now, knowing he was a Darkfriend ? Did he even know for sure he was ? That smudge could mean anything, but when he saw it, he felt something evil within that person.

"Maybe we should let the Lord of the manor know he has Darkfriends in his employ ?" asked Ahsdale. "Perhaps, " said Daran, "Or maybe he is a Darkfriend himself. Anyway, it is not our business to go around hunting Darkfriends, we are not Whitecloaks."

"No, we are not...." Ahsdale's voice trailed off, "anyway Daran, what are we doing out here. I promised i'd help you in your task, but I hardly know what's going on ? By the looks of things I'd say your looking for someone. I suppose you don't have to tell me, its your own business, but i'd trust you more If i knew what was going on."

15. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Ahh, a moment of truth, Daran thought to himself. "I suppose it's only fair that you know what we're getting in to. We are looking for a man who has recently discovered Saidin."

"I don't see how that's anything out of the ordinary for your lot." Ahsdale replied questioningly.

"That's true, however, this man happens to be a Warder." Daran retorted. "He is reported to be in a village, Salidar by name, wich is occupied by the renegade Aes Sedai that fled the White Tower after the split."

"And you are thinking that a Warder would make an interesting addition to your number." Ahsdale reasoned, quickly catching on to the value of such a man.

"Indeed he would. Not only would a Warder be a valuable warrior, but he might possess some valueable knowledge of the working of the White Tower. The problem will be getting in and out of this witch infested community without getting myself Gentled in the process."

16. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Making no sound as he went along, the wetlander in the blurring cloth passed on. Haeruc was impressed, more often than not people this side of the dragonwall made enough noise to wake the entire hold. These men were good though, and Haeruc waited a good while after the man left before he got up from behind the fallen trunk, if he did not still feel a little weak he may have danced, just to see how these men could.

Striding low in what brush there was and keeping an eye out for more of these men, Haeruc made his way towards the buildings ahead. Yesterday after being brought food he rested enough to lose most of his weariness, he could move easily now, even if he was a little hungrier than usual. Despite that he still wanted to find the one he owed his toh to, she had not even giver her name or introduced herself yet, such behaviour was shameful enough to make him at least a little offended. But to be obligated to aid a person who brought you shame was such a strain that it may meet more toh than expected. But not enough, there was too much to meet in a lifetime, but Haeruc would meet all he could, he was Shae'en M'taal, and stone dogs never left a fight untill it was won.

Rounding a corner across from him was a young woman with hair like ivory and skin not too different, he had seen her yesterday, when the wise one and the woman left him he watched after for a moment, they had gone to where this one lay and aided her. It was likely that this one would lead them to the others, so he ducked low and rand to the next wall when he was sure none watched.

Not far off the pale one went inside a roof that had a large yard infront and smelt of animals. Not wanting to find himself facing warriors or others inside, Haeruc made his way around the side and began scaling the wall, the rough stonework and wood seemed more than aged and worn enough for an abandoned town, aswell as making it effortless to scale. At the top there was a small hatch leading in. Sliding through silently he watched below to see only the pale one, and the two he sought, it was disgraceful to watch unannonced, so thrusting his spears into the straps of his bow he began sliding down the nearest beam to the ground. turning to see the others he unwrapped his shoufa and waited for a response. He looked forward to the woman acting shamefully, it would meet more of his toh.

17. doleniel

doleniel Elven High Priestess

surrounded by idiots with no hope of escape
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    It was near dawn, and Kelaine had not yet been to sleep. After giving orders for a pack horse to be fitted out with provisions and strict instructions that no one was to be told they were traveling, she had spent the night examining her weaves, trying to locate Kori's warder. After many hours, she was able to find somewhere near his location, but she did not think it was exact; there was unusual resonance coming from the far end of her flows. Now she changed into a simple riding gown of pale yellow rough silk with a worked copper belt and began bundling more gowns together, another simple but fine riding dress in deep ohcre with a pattern of winter branches embroidered in black around the hem and the high neckline, a fine wool gown of yellow so pale as to almost be white with deep blue borders on hem, sleeves and neckline and a matching silver-embroidered belt, and a fine formal gown of directionally woven silk, gold from one angle and copper from another, with a border of flames worked in thread of gold around the hems. Following these into her saddlebags went several clean shifts, including the fine pale gold silk one which went with the copper-gold gown and into which was bundled a worked gold belt and the garnet pendant and earrings that matched the gown, several pairs of stockings, a comb and mirror, a set of camp dishes, and several beltpurses, two of which she also had tied in a secret pocket inside her gown.

Taking up her saddlebags, one of which still held a substantial amount of room in it, and her bedroll, she set off, not towards the stables, but into the forest near the yellow quarters. As the sun began to rise, she stopped beneath a tree, at first no different from the others, but after a moment one noticed that it had a strange tilt to the way it grew. Taking up a strange flattened out branch, she began digging in the ground between the roots of the tree. After a few moments, she drew several small carved objects out of the ground, dusted them off using flows of air, and put them all save the smallest into the more empty saddlebag, cushioned by one of her shifts. The last carving, fashioned like a curling shell, so well done as to appear actually a shell, she put in her hidden pocket with her two beltpurses. She then headed out of the forest and back into Salidar, brushing dirt off or her hands and gown with the power.

Shortly, she reached the stable, where Kori, Taryn, the Wise One, and another Aiel she had seen briefly in passing in among the hospital tents. She walked up to them and began putting her saddlebags and bedroll on her already saddled horse.

"I must apologize for my lateness," she said calmly. "It took longer than I expected to find our destination, something is causing a great amount of annoyance on the other end, and I had to retrieve a few items I thought would be useful." Turning to one of the stablehands, she spoke again. "Has that packhorse I requested been provisioned?" The stablehand nodded and disapeared into the far end of the stables and returned with a well-stocked packhorse in tow a few moments later. Weaving a flow that blocked the ears of the stablehand, she spoke quickly. "We must set off at once, and we had best not wear our serpent rings, your warder is far to the west, and we will have to cross nearly all of Amadicia to get to him. We will be able to stay in inns much of the way, but we will have to camp several times, so I have arranged for food. My suggestion is that we masquerade as a pair of ladies, refugees from the east, with our two maids and a bodyguard. Turning to Taryn and the two still unnamed Aiel, she apologized "I am sorry but it does not make sense for two ladies to be traveling on their own. I will only ask you to act in your roles when there are large numbers of other people around. When we are on our own, or in the presence of only a few others, you may act however you wish" Undoing her weave of silence, she mounted her horse and prepared to leave. "Remeber, you are to tell no one of this at all." she said sternly to the stableman, who nodded hurridly and rushed off to his other duties.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2004
  18. Elan Morin Tedronai

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    As the two men rode away from the estate, Ahsdale suddenly stopped. Deep in thought. "What is the matter ?" asked the Asha'man. Ahsdale raised his head and looked at him, "If you seek a Warder in these lands, perhaps it would be best to ask the Lord of that estate. Surely he would know the going ons of his own land. And a noble of such low-rank would not dare refuse the 'Official Embassy of The Black Tower" Ahsdale replied, and saw a half-smirk appear on Daran's lips.

"Haha, indeed he would not. But this is a good idea, and a good place to start. Perhaps you will find more about this smudge....stuff aswell."

"Be on your guard however, Daran, if that man is indeed a Darkfriend like I think, then there may be others, and Im sure a supporter of the Dragon Reborn will find no welcome here. Though if the others are innocent, perhaps they should be warned of who guards their gates."

Ahsdale and Daranbar reined their horses around and made their way back to the Lord's estate.

19. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    It took little to persuade the guards at the gate to relay to their lord that Daran and Ahsdale requested an audience with their lord. As Ahsdale had suggested Daranbar mentioned the fact that he was a representative of the Black Tower, in the area performing a task in the name of the Lord Dragon. The pair now stood in a small room off of a larger chamber waiting to be announced. The estate was predictably busy with the comings and goings of servants, retainers, and the lord’s aids. They had even crossed paths with a very attractive young woman. Surprisingly, Ahsdale paid little attention to the woman, so concerned was he with inspecting everyone for ‘smudges’. For the moment they were alone, the man assigned to escort them had disappeared behind a set of large wooden doors. A glance at his companion showed Ahsdale with a troubled look on his face. When he noticed Daran watching him he opened his mouth to speak, but before he could utter a word, the large doors opened to admit their escort. Ahsdale simply shook his head and began studying the floor tiles. As Daran walked past him he paused for a moment speaking loud enough for Ahsdale’s ears alone.

“Let us proceed under the pretense that you are my man at arms while in the presence of this lord.” Noting the still troubled look on his companions face, Daran added. “If things go badly, cover the door so no one comes at us from the rear.” Ahsdale nodded his agreement and they followed the third man into the audience chamber.

The Lord’s audience chamber was surprisingly elegant, especially for a minor country noble. The high vaulted ceiling sat atop carved and polished stone walls, covered with small alcoves that boasted many expensive items. Behind the dias where the lord sat on a high backed cushioned chair that resembled a throne, hung fine tapestries, embroidered with thread of gold and depicting graphic battle scenes. The wall on Daran’s left was lined with tall windows looking out at the northern wall of the estate, and not more than a few yards beyond the wall, Daran could see the forest looming in the background.

“Lord Urayio grants you an audience.” Announced the escort. Daran noted that the half dozen guards standing to either side of the small dias had their hands on the hilts of their short swords.

“Daranbar Narshel.” Daran introduced himself with a slight bow. “And this is my man, Ahsdale.” He gestured toward his companion. “We thank you for your audience this day, Lord Urayio.”

“What brings a pawn of the Dragon Reborn into my land, Daranbar Narshel?” Asked the lord in a condescending tone.

Daran took a moment to glance over at his companion. Under the scrutiny of Lord Urayio’s gaze, Ahsdale could make no gesture as to what he saw, but the look on his face told the story well enough.

Daran began to wonder if coming here would turn out to be a mistake after all. While he had no doubt that he could deal with the lord and his men efficiently, someone was sure to notice the death of a lord, no matter how lowly he was.
    “We seek word of any Aes Sedai who might have crossed your lands.” As he spoke Daran reached out to Saidin. Feeling the glory and power of the rush was enough to make him want to lash out at the man in front of him. The tone he used toward Daran’s lord made his hackles rise. But he would not be the one to strike the first blow should it come to that.

20. Nynaeve

Nynaeve <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    Maera awoke abruptly with a small gasp. Glancing around, she remembered where she was. Quietly, she peeked over the bed Kori had given her to sleep in last night. As if she would sleep in that strange thing! Still, the thought was nice of the Aes Sedai, she was just trying to make her comfortable. Good, Kori was still sleeping. Maera need some time to think about her dream and gather her thoughts. She settled back down on the rug. That was such a horrifying dream she had last night. True, some of the Wise Ones has been unnecessarily worried about her adopting to many wetlander mannerisms when she was here, but to see herself acting and dressed as a wetlander and riding a horse, was scary. Even if it was only in a dream. She liked some of their customs, but she would have to be careful. It would be shameful to throw away too many of her people's beliefs.

Maera heard the Aes Sedai stirring. Surprisingly, she liked her. She would have made a good Wise One, after some training. Too bad she was a wetlander. Maera smiled, watching the Aes Sedai pack. What use could she possibly have for all those clothes? She quickly dressed and got her pack together. "Good morning", she responded politely when Kori wished her good morning, then followed her out of the room.

As they entered the stables, Kori asked Maera if she knew how to ride. Reminded of her dream, she thought a minute while Kori was busy giving orders and greeting Taryn.After greeting Taryn, she quietly replied, "I have never ridden a horse. I may want to learn though. And if I don't, it is always good to have an extra in case something happens to one of the others."

Looking around, Maera asked Kori, "Where is the Aiel I, err, we healed? He has to come with, even if I have to drag him along behind us. He has toh to fulfill to us." At Kori's confused look, she explained "It is similar to what you wetlanders consider a debt. He has to meet his toh, or he will be shamed". As she was saying this, Haeruc quietly dropped down from the rafters. She smiled at him, and started to greet him, when the other Aes Sedai walked into the stables. Kelaine placed a ward around them and began telling them where they were headed. Shocked, she heard her say that she would have to pose as a servant! She was not some wetlander servant! But, she held her tongue for now. The sooner they left, the better. She would think about this and straighten them out later.

Search tags for this page

asha mansoon