RPG #5 - Of Aes Sedai and Asha'man

Discussion in 'RPG # 5 - Of Aes Sedai and Asha'man' started by Nienor, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Senekha

Senekha <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    Rydan was alarmed. Linaer felt it clearly in their bond, and looked at Mansur worriedly.

Nevertheless, Linaer deemed to continue walking, for their destination was yet a half-day’s walk. Mansur edged closer to the Aes Sedai, his alertness heightened. Not much alarmed Rydan.

Linaer halted when she felt Rydan near, and turned to meet him. The young warder slipped through the trees almost unnoticeably, and ran toward them. He pointed south, then said, “Aes Sedai, with an Asha’man.” He paused, to catch his breath.

Linaer raised an eyebrow. Not only did the Asha’man flaunt their tainted gift, but now were associating with Aes Sedai. It was humiliating. She motioned for Rydan to continue.

“It appears that the Aes Sedai are under restraint.” He paused, almost cringing in anticipation of Linaer’s response. He was relieved when his news received only a sharply indrawn breath.

Linaer’s face darkened. Although she did not socialize much with the Tower, of late, she had not lost the bond that had been built for the Tower, that sense of protection. Without a word, she spun and headed south, Rydan and Mansur trailing behind.

Linaer’s thoughts were black as she moved, her long stride covering ground swiftly. Before long, Rydan touched her shoulder, signaling that the encampment was not far ahead.

Slowing the pace, Linaer heightened her guard, and her warders moved silently ahead. Soon Mansur was out of sight, but Linaer could feel every move he made. Rydan fanned out to her right, and they moved in practiced formation.

Shouts and cries of pain were heard before the clearing was in sight, and Linaer quickened her pace, thinking up suitable punishments for renegade men. Men who could channel. Such transgressions could not go with impunity.

Linaer stopped dead when she caught sight of the whitecloaks. A moment later, Rydan’s alarm become even more apparent. From Mansur, she felt nothing but his usual calm. She hoped he would not do anything unrational.

She inched forward, lest the whitecloaks or the Asha’man should catch sight of her. When the scene became clear, she saw several wounded whitecloaks rushing away, and knew they must be going for reinforcements; such was the way of the whitecloaks. Brash fools, who thought life naught more than a game in which they were the gods.

Deeming to follow the Asha’man and Aes Sedai, and await the return of the whitecloaks, Linaer signaled to Rydan and Mansur, who began to trail the fleeing group. From the evidence left behind, at least one person who could channel had used his or her power – she had to assume that it was the Asha’man, from what Rydan had told her. Her first priority was to attempt to aid her sisters.

When the trio was close to the captive Aes Sedai, Linaer saw that they were hastily packing their horses. What startled her was that she saw only two women.

Ignoring her instincts, Linaer slunk through the trees, and emerged not far from where the women stood. One of them turned, and let out a cry of surprise.

2. Elan Morin Tedronai

Elan Morin Tedronai The Forsaken

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Taryn will be safe with the Aes Sedai thought Ahsdale as he limbered up on his horse. Daranbar and the others would need help finishing the remaining Whitecloaks, and his work here was done. Looking towards the Aes Sedai, he said, "I must speak with you when this is over... concerning, some dark dreams. I have heard you can Heal such things ?" The Aes Sedai looked up at him, clearly wondering what kind of 'dark dreams' he'd been having. "We will speak then. After. Taryn's health comes first. "

"Ofcourse, " he replied, with a slight nod in the Aes Sedai's direction. "Thank you for your assistance back there. I am in your debt."

The Aes Sedai made to respond, but suddenly another woman burst into their clearing, the Aes Sedai letting out an uncharacteristic cry of surprise. Ahsdale had no idea where she came from, but the way she carried herself, and that golden ring could mean only one thing. Aes Sedai. "You deal with this stranger, I'm needed elsewhere." And with that he was off, riding hard through the forest, back to the battleground. He checked his equipment, annoyed that he'd left his bow behind, it would be very helpful given the situation. He still had his sword though, and he was very thankful for that, he would not enjoy fighting Whitecloaks with his teeth and hands.

The horse was covered in a wet sheen by the time they had reached the clearing, but Ahsdale decided to stay mounted; the height would be a great advantage. He dashed into the clearing and unsheathed his sword, the blade glinting red in the light of the setting sun. Somehow it seemed appropriate. He charged headlong into the Whitecloaks, slashing left and right and riding down those in his way. He looked for his companions. The Asha'man could not be seen, but his victims were clearly visible. Burned corpses littered the floor. The sound of metal on metal drew his attention, and he looked to see the bear-man surrounded by Whitecloaks. What was even more surprising was the amount of dead Whitecloaks surrounding him. He watched the bearman twirl and spin, hacking off limbs and heads. It reminded him of his own encounter with him. The Aes Sedai was right, he could handle himself. None the less, it would take only one stroke to fell him, and he would likely wear out eventually. The Aielman was rushing to his aid. Ahsdale kicked the haunches of his horse and rode directly into the fray. Men screamed as horse and Whitecloak collided, and Ahsdale slashed at the Children closest to him. He leapt off his horse and slapped its behind with the flat of his sword, sending him running back towards the Aes Sedai and Taryn.

Ahsdale fought his way towards the bearman, and fighting back to back, with the unseen help of the Asha'man, soon made short work of the surrounding Whitecloaks. He looked around to find the Aiel removing his shoufa and wiping the blood off his spear with the snowy white cloak of one of the dead.

"They are finshed, then ?" he asked of the Aiel, who gave a slight nod in his direction. His clothes were covered in blood, but it was not his own. The Aielman had not suffered a scratch, and it didn't seem like he had even broken a sweat. As Ahsdale made off into the clearing to find his bow, the bearman and Aiel held conference. Ahsdale could not hear what they were saying but they were pointing in the direction the Children had come from. More would come, they needed to leave. And fast.

As he walked back towards his companions, checking his bow for damage, and large hole ripped itself open in thin air, and out walked Daranbar, dusting off his hands.

"I doubt those Whitecloaks will be troubling us anymore," he said, stroking his moustache.

"Soon enough more will come," said the Aiel, and the Bearman nodded agreement. "We must leave,' he said finnaly.

"Taryn and the Aes Sedai are back at their camp, their supplies are there and so are the horses, we should head back there," said Ahsdale as he brushed his sweat-covered fringe out of his eye. He threw his cowl back over his face, and the companions made their way back into the forest at a run. The bearman gave a high pitched whistle, and his other companions came following, their muzzles a dark crimson. They had seen their share of action this night.

3. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Though they were all relatively unharmed the battle had not gone well. He disliked any of his companions taking hurt, and all but Baijan had received some sort of wound, albeit minor, their preferred tactics were ambush and attack from concealment, preferrably leading with bow-fire. Had the girl not blundered out, and had the swordsman kept his head, things could have turned out differently. But, he reminded himself, they could have worked out worse. Regardless, if they were to remain in company they would need some discussion of tactics. But far worse than the hurts received, some of the Whitecloaks had escaped. It had been unavoidable, scouting with such a large force was highly unusual, they must be truly on edge with so many Aes Sedai nearby. Probably expecting an invasion.

He angled his run slightly to bring himself next to the blackcoat.
    "Your methods are effective Daranbar Asha'man but if I may make a request? Explosions have their place but the noise is a problem. Not only do they unsettle my companions, and myself, but we are in enemy territory. Some element of stealth is required lest we bring not only the whole flaming Legion down on us but the army of Amadicia and the bloody Aes Sedai to boot. Just something to think about. Now if you will excuse us..." Abruptly he swung aside from their path, motioning to the Aiel as he did so.

"Where in the Light are you going?"
    "Our place is out there, someone needs to keep an eye out. I'll not be suprised again. Don't worry, we'll be around. Raheryin will go with you too, he needs to rest." This delivered over his shoulder with a hard eye to the boy. It was true, he was almost falling over with exhaustion, that it gave him eyes and ears to whatever happened in the camp was a bonus. Scattering as they ran, they began to scout a perimeter, keeping a close eye on the backtrail.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2005
  4. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Daranbar and Ahsdale found their mounts near the edge of camp. The fine Tairen mounts were bred and trained well and were not likely to take flight during a battle. The Bear Man had a point, he realized. While he might be capable of destroying the better part of a mounted company of soldiers, he hadn’t done anything quietly up to this point.

Everyone was quickly disappearing into the tree as he looked around the campsite. Most of the battle had taken place along the edges or in the forest and the center of the clearing was much as it had been the night before. How in the light he’d gone from being at odds with these people, to fighting along side them was a mystery, but the Asha’man decided that it was one that would have to be solved another time.

He motioned to the Aielman to get his attention; sometime he’d have to learn the newcomer’s names. “If you can gather everyone here in the camp I can have us as far away from this place as they want. I’ll only need a few minutes to reacquaint myself with the area. There’s no need for us to go sprinting across the countryside when I could make the journey much easier.”

The savage gave him a dark look before turning away; it was somewhat obvious that he had no trust for the male channeler. Shrugging it off, Daranbar began giving the area a thorough study. He needed to know the area well if they were going to travel over a long distance.

5. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Raheryin leaned against a large oak while he quietly observed the male channeller from across the camp. The physical endurance he had been put through since his first encounter with his new companions had surpassed any activity he had yet endured. Raheryin gave a soft laugh to himself: the amount of energy one can find when faced with death is astounding.

While he tried to comfort his sore legs, Raheryin thought upon the brief encounter with the Whitecloaks. Only having his knives to defend himself, Raheryin had tried to stay out of the others way. It was more likely he would get himself killed if he attempted to become involved. However, the opportunity to place a precise throw of his knife did present itself. The Whitecloaks had become consumed with those they could see, and forgot about those who still remained hidden.

A sound from across the camp awoke Raheryin's thoughts back into the present. Realizing that he was once again in the company of strangers, Raheryin advanced toward the two men. The man named Ashdale glanced up at his approach, however the Asha'man held his intent concentration on some other matter.

"I must apologize, fellow borderlander, for my earlier hostility. You must understand now why I held my apparent confusion. However, let us put that incident behind us. It appears our fates have merged together for the time being. My name is Raheryin Mendaric, of Arafel."

6. Sorcha

Sorcha Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    So much blood…

When she reflected on that night later, the memory was rife with shouts, the clang of swords and terrible bloodshed. She was helped to her feet and led away from the gory scene by Ahsdale, not entirely willingly. She could not accept that the Whitecloak was dead…and she was strengthened from it. There was something sickening to her about stealing someone’s life, and benefiting from it. Killing should have a price, not a repayment, lest someone get too fond of it.

She was running, with Ahsdale and Koriandre Sedai, towards their camp. As they approached the edge of the clearing, they slowed and finally stopped. There were men, sorting through the packs.

"How dare you rummage through my personal belongings. Is there no decency left that men invade a traveler’s camp to steal their goods?" Koriandre said, in an authoritative voice.

"My, you're a bold little witch. I bet you'll last a long time hanging kicking and struggling from a tree," one replied with a cruel grin on his face, garnering laughs from the other Whitecloaks. As the men prepared to attack, two of them burst into fire. Screaming in agony, they ran for the trees, beating at the flames, but to no avail.

"Taryn, help me get everything up on the pack horses. Let’s get all the horses saddled as quickly as possible. You ride double with me and let him have your horse. We'll have to head back into the trouble to find Kelaine, Maera and the Asha'man. I can only assume the bear man will take care of himself," Koriandre said urgently. Nodding numbly, Taryn hurried to obey.

She brought the horse back, and handed the reins to Ahsdale. He nodded his thanks, and climbed into the saddle. Looking a bit unsure, he turned to the Aes Sedai, "I must speak with you when this is over... concerning, some dark dreams. I have heard you can Heal such things?"

"We will speak then. After. Taryn's health comes first," Koriandre replied, puzzlement written across her face.

"Of course.” A slight pause. “Thank you for your assistance back there. I am in your debt."

Just then, Taryn saw another woman come into the clearing, startling all three of them.

"You deal with this stranger,” Ahsdale said, “I'm needed elsewhere," and with that, rode back towards the other camp.

Taryn was curious as to who this woman could be, but Koriandre gently reminded her that the horses needed to be packed, and quickly. Still in a bit in shock, but determined to help, Taryn began packing up the camp. She kicked dirt on the embers of the fire, and packed up the food and did the best she could with the bedrolls. She was surprised when her horse burst into the clearing. Intelligent horse, to find its way back here, she thought absently. She loaded what she could on the packhorses, and led them over to Koriandre and the mystery woman, who was joined now by two armed men.

“Now we must go. Linaer Sedai will be accompanying us,” Koriandre said shortly, in a tone that left no room for discussion or questions.

Taryn mounted up and rode after them, towards the channeler’s camp, still lost in her thoughts, and wondering at the repercussions of her carelessness.

As they approached the camp again, shivers ran up Taryn’s spine and she felt the blood drain from her face. I don’t want to be back here, she thought, tightening her hold on the reins. There was still evidence of the battle everywhere, making Taryn feel ill. Hoping they could find their companions quickly, Taryn fixed her eyes on her horse, avoiding looking at the carnage around her.

7. doleniel

doleniel Elven High Priestess

surrounded by idiots with no hope of escape
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    The fight had been difficult, but with two chnnelers in the clearing and the others who remained behind to fight, the odds were far better than the last time Kelaine had had a run in with the Whitecloaks. She was almost glad that Taryn had foolishly stumbled out and killed the Whitecloak, because it caused them to attack and allowed her to fight in defense of herself. When they first appeared, Kelaine was almost overcome with fury. Clearly, her wounded mind had not entirely heald from the incedent ten years before. Once the attack came, she founght like a demon, caring little for her own safety, and in the end took down many of the soldiers. Once her fury had cleared, she considered Taryn and Koriandre. "I hope they got to the campsite and kept any others out of my things. There are items I don't want found in those packs." Thinking again, she considered: "I shall have to ask Taryn what she did. I do not seem to remember being told about that skill, and it could be useful. Though it has little to do with healing. . ."

Now they were clearing the edges of the campsite from the aftermath of the battle. As Kelaine was using the Power to clean the dust and gore of battle from her gown, the Asha'man spoke. “If you can gather everyone here in the camp I can have us as far away from this place as they want. I’ll only need a few minutes to reacquaint myself with the area. There’s no need for us to go sprinting across the countryside when I could make the journey much easier.”

Kelaine turned her head and replied. "My party and I need to get to the south of the Mountains of Mist, north of Amador. We shall likely have need of you after we have arrived there, as well." She noticed a movement in the woods and saw the rest of her party, along with a strange Aes Sedai. She hailed them. Turning back to the Asha'man, she spoke again. "I have already introduced myself, so I do not feel the need to do so again. But I do not believe I know your names? If we are to travel together, it will be easier if I know what to call you by."

8. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Furiously packing up equipment, Koriandre watched as the man left them. She assumed he was riding off to meet his companion. Despite her feelings towards the Asha'man, she couldn't let the Whitecloaks hang him or put him to the question. Working as fast as she could, Kori was getting Kelaine's and Maera's horses saddled, when she noticed three riders just outside of her camp. Glancing up she did not recognize the woman at first, but when Kori noticed the two men flanking her, there was no denying what she was. The men's shape shifting cloaks marked them as warders. Taryn gasped in suprise as Kori made her way towards the small group.

For a moment she didn't recognize the other Aes Sedai. The woman wasn't someone she was well aquainted with. But from her garments, Kori easily remembered who she was. Linaer was a member of her own Ajah; one who was somewhat gossipped about due to the fact she wore men's clothing outside of Tar Valon. Even most greens would never defy custom so badly as to be caught in pants. Kori only rememberes speaking to the woman a few times since she became Aes Sedai, but thought her fairly interesting due to her travels. Thinking back, Linaer Sedai had been in the tower the day Kori became a Green. Kori remembered because she was the only woman wearing a black dress, all the others greeting her had chosen shades of green.

"Linaer Sedai!" Kori called out. "We need to leave her quickly, there are Whitecloaks about. Could your warders help so we don't leave any evidence of us behind."

Soon as the words were spoken, the two men efficiently gathered up the remaining belongings and put them on the pack horses. Without being told, they took the leads for the pack animals, making things easier for Kori and Taryn who would need to control Kelaine and Maera's horses. Koriandre swiftly finished saddling up the other two animals and called out to Taryn, "Now we must go. Linaer Sedai will be accompanying us." Kori mounted up on her horse, expecting to help Taryn up with her when she noticed that the other woman's mount had been returned to her. Without hesitation, the small group departed the former campsite.

Riding through the dense woods, Kori and Taryn kept their eyes out for Kelaine Sedai and Maera. Staying slightly apart from Linaer's warders, Kori did her best to explain what had transpired in the last few hours. In a clearing she finally spotted Kelaine. Riding to her, Kori saw that the Asha'man and his companion were unharmed and mounted on their own animals. Pulling her horse directly next to Kelaine, Kori heard her say to the two men, "I have already introduced myself, so I do not feel the need to do so again. But I do not believe I know your names? If we are to travel together, it will be easier if I know what to call you by." Smiling to herself, Kori thought, 'Dumb and dumber might be appropriate....'

9. Nynaeve

Nynaeve <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    Maera finished her tirade, and stood with her arms crossed. The bear-man was the only one brave enough to speak. "You are welcome Wise One. If you would see to the other ladies, I am not sure what aid I could give them, nor do I feel they would welcome the further intrusion of a man this night" he said, with a hint of a smile. She stared at him. He obviously believed her to swallow that patronizing speech like a fool. Sick of the men and their idiocy, she decided to ignore them. She could straighten them out later, she thought with a sniff of disgust as she turned. Maybe Kori would enjoy helping her, she mused.

She walked over to the women, happy to see Kelaine was up and moving around. She handed the stone cat to Kori as she spoke to Maera. "You still have the turtle I gave you, yes?" Maera, still quite angry, nodded. Speaking to both women, she continued. "Use these to try and break your shields. I was able to using this." She showed them her shell carving. Maera patted her pocket with the carved turtle in it. In all the confusion, she had completely forgotten about it.

Concentrating, while using the turtle, she was able to break the shield. Finished, she turned to see Kelaine healing the shadowrunner. Suddenly, a crossbow bolt flew out of no where and embedded in the man's throat. Maera watched in shock as the bear man, running towards them, suddenly slowed frozen in the air. "Move burn you! Back into the trees, keep your heads down and be flaming quite!" he hissed. "That is, unless you'd like to make friends with the troop of Whitecloak cavalry coming right this way! I think someone's fireworks last night attracted a little bit of attention." He was quickly freed, grabbed the dead shadowrunner and ran for the trees, everyone else quick on his heels.

Maera sat in bushes, completely hidden and as still as a stone, at the whitecloaks burst into the camp and started ranting about witches. Surely, those zealots could not mean them! Suddenly, she remembered what she had heard about them from the wetlanders before her trip, what they could do. Shocked, she watched as Taryn stepped out of her hiding place. She was quickly grabbed, and held prisoner with a knife to her throat. Suddenly, the man holding her turned as pale as a corpse and dropped to the ground, dead, with Taryn falling on top of him and shaking like a leaf, muttering.

All hell broke loose as the Ash'a'man and his companion burst out from the trees, intent on saving Taryn. Maera jumped into the fray, knife in her hand, as the younger man swept her out of danger, Kori on his heels, headed to their camp. Maera followed then for a short way, and ducked behind a tree off their path to protect their backs. Sure enough, two whitecloaks had started to follow the three to the camp. Marea stepped right into their path, knife in hand, and opened herself to saidar. They halted and grinned evilly. One stepped forward with sick glint in his eye and told her, "We'll have fun playing with you savage."

Maera stared at them, and performed one of her special weaves that she had perfected in the three fold land. The whitecloak froze with a look of horror on his face, as all the bodily fluids came rushing out of his body onto the forest floor. The dry corpse of skin and bone dropped to the ground in the quickly disappearing puddle. The second man stood in horror, staring at his companion with wide eyes full of fear. As he dropped to the ground, retching, a bolt of lightening flew down and killed him in a burst of light and fire.

Brushing her hands on her skirts with a satisfied smile, and checking to make sure her feet were clean, she continued on her way to the camp. She stopped just outside the camp, to make sure no other Whitecloaks approached them. Alert, she watched as Kori greeted the strange woman, obviously another Aes Sedai, in the camp with two men a step behind. A slight frown on her face, she thought with great annoyance, "That's just what this strange group needs, another arrogant Aes Sedai." Maera slipped unseen behind the group, alert for danger as they met up with the others in the other camp. She walked in just as Kelaine said "If we are to travel together, it will be easier if I know what to call you by."

"Does it matter?" Maera mused. "I will still think of them as the bear man and the male channeler." She supposed she should try, just to keep peace between the groups. She could let them know her contempt for them in many other ways. Though the bear man was a interesting riddle to figure out.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2005
  10. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Daranbar sat his horse in what remained of their campsite, scrutinizing every detail of the area. Ahsdale waited patiently beside him, keeping a wary eye on their surroundings. One of the Aes Sedai approached him, asking to go to the southern regions of the Mountains of Mist. He thought for a moment, trying to recall her name, then gave it up and decided that he didn’t really care that much anyway.

“My name is Daranbar Narshel, my companions is called Ahsdale.” He replied rather crisply. He then reached into a pack behind the saddle and drew out a rolled map. After studying it for a moment he returned his attention to the woman. “I can get us in the general area, I can’t be exact you understand, not without knowing exactly where I am going. Give me a moment.”

“Ahsdale.” Daran called his companions name. “It seems that you are a formidable ally in a tight spot.” The black coated man observed, in truth Ahsdale had fought as well as anyone Daran had ever seen. The borderlander merely shrugged. “I will want to remain on this side of the opening until everyone has passed through.” Daran continued, changing the subject. “Can you go through first and make sure the area is secure?”

Ahsdale drew his sword and brought his mount around giving Daran a nod. “Let’s go then.” He said.

A thin thread of light appeared in the center of the clearing, stretching out until it was well above the Asha’man’s head. The line seemed to turn slightly, or perhaps spread and the doorway opened, wide enough for two mounted men to ride through. Ahsdale put his heels into his mount and rushed through the opening into the grassy field beyond.

11. Elan Morin Tedronai

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Ashdale heard Daran call his name, and he looked across at the Asha'man to see what he wanted. “It seems that you are a formidable ally in a tight spot. I will want to remain on this side of the opening until everyone has passed through, can you go through first and make sure the area is secure ?"

Drawing his heron-mark blade, and reeling his mount around, Ahsdale nodded slightly, and said "Let's go then." In truth he did not like anything to do with the One Power. He was at Falme the day of the Seanchan invasion, and he had witnessed first hand what the Power could do. His days in captivity there still troubled his sleep, but it seemed everything troubled his sleep these days.

Steadying his horse, who seemed to shy away from the Gateway, Ahsdale plunged in, and suddenly the landscape changed. The dead, dark forest they had been in earlier gave way to a clean, crisp forest of lush greens. Looking down it seemed he was on a road, stretching away north and south. Ahsdale moved over to a tree and tied his horse to it. Brushing his mane, Ahsdale left him there as he scouted the area. Sliding from tree to tree, and checking the ground for signs. He found no indication of anyone, except for some rough tracks atleast three days old, heading north. Likely just a group of travellers.

Climbing a tree, Ahsdale looked for any clearings in the forest, but found none. There were trees as far as he could see, the only opening the road he had walked onto. Here and there he could see signs of deer and boar. So close to the road, he mused, noone has been here for quite some time.
    Dropping to the ground, Ahsdale unlimbered his bow, nocked an arrow and silently stalked after the boar. Peering through the bushes, Ahsdale raised the arrow to eye level, drew a deep breath, and released. The sound of the arrow skimming through the air was the only sound to be heard, and the boar did not even hear it coming. He fell with a dull thud, and Ahsdale binded the feet and limbered the carcass over his shoulder, bringing it around to where he had left his horse. He dropped the boar next to his mount, and moved back towards the Gateway. It was odd, looking through, he could see his companions on the other side, but the Gateway itself was not even an inch thick. Looking side on, you would not even notice it was there. But the Asha'man had told him what those edges could do. Razor sharp they were, and could slice through a man like a warm knife through butter. Only with alot more mess.

Motioning to his companions, he watched as they started to walk towards the Gateway, the Aiel and Aes Sedai coming first, along with the rest. Daran stayed behind to keep the Gateway open, and when everyone was through, the Asha'man made his way through aswell.

As the group emerged through the Gateway, Ahsdale set to skinning the boar, and with a grin on his faced asked his tired looking companions, "Anyone hungry ?"

12. Unraveller

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Easing his way gingerly through the hole in the air his first reaction was astonishment, his second disgust. The grinning idiot standing proudly over the carcass of his kill could have only given the area a cursory glance before being distracted. Immediately on edge he gestured to his companions, the hounds gliding away immediately while Seiera lumbered off around the near perimeter. He raised his arm and his other friend fluttered aloft. Touching the Aielman on the arm he gestured, 'Wide sweep'. A bare moment's hesitation and he was gone. He moved to Raheryin's side, eyes sweeping the ground. Interesting.

"Stay close but in cover, make sure you can hear what is said but be prepared, we are in unknown territory." This all delivered in a low murmer that would not carry more than a few feet, indistinctly at that. The young man paused as he listened and then began casting his eyes around.

With a nod to the rest, and a second glance at the tracks, he set off into the trees. There was something he needed to investigate. Alone.

13. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Raheryin stood still, and looked at the strange opening that had been created in mid-air by the Asha'man. As Raheryin was trying to understand this unique concept, even more astonishment was produced as he observed his other new companions journey into the curious hole. Raheryin followed with slight apprehension, however forced his steps to advance forward. Soon he found himself gazing at a fresh landscape quite different from the one he had left.

Keeping one eye on the actions of his new companions, Raheryin also tried to decipher where the group had actually travelled too. The landscape gave some valuable indications of the general direction, however no obvious evidence of a decisive answer was present. As Raheryin intently studied the vegetation present, Shaedin quietly moved to Raheryin's side. Raheryin noticed that the man kept his acute eyes directed on the new surroundings too. His voice murmered in a low whisper.

"Stay close but in cover, make sure you can hear what is said but be prepared, we are in unknown territory."

Raheryin paused and weighed the meaning of Shaedin's words, then began another quick observation of his surroundings. His companion obviously had noticed something the other's had not, or else felt the need to take extreme precaution. Raheryin's limited time with the wild-man had taught him, more than anything else, to place trust in the man's skills. Whatever had caught Shaedin's attention was obviously something of great importance.

Looking back at the rest of his companions, Raheryin advanced toward the center of the group. The fellow borderlander had killed a boar, and as cautious as Raheryin was, his need for nourishment took the best of him. He approached Ashdale and responded to the man's question.

"Let me help you with that."

14. Elan Morin Tedronai

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    "Thank you my friend," replied Ahsdale, as the Borderlander moved towards him to take over the skinning. "My name is Raheryin," he said, "extending his hand. "From Arafel, in the North."

Taking his hand in a firm grasp, he replied, "My name is Ahsdale Nolatari. I am also a Borderlander, coming from Kandor. I have visited Arafel on occasion however. Perhaps we have run into each other before ?"

"Not likely, I travelled alot. With my father, he was a merchant. Business kept us far from our home."

Ahsdale nodded and walked off, with thoughts of his own father in his head. He had watched, helpless, as a Fade split his head in twain with one stroke. The blood had sprayed everywhere and the Fade turned his eyeless stare on Ahsdale, likely seeing his next kill. And Ahsdale had run. He ran for days and days, never looking back, never once trying to help his people. It still shamed him to the core. He was only a child, but still, he was a Borderlander, and the Borderlander's fought. They never fled.

Ahsdale looked around and examined his companions. The bear-man had dissapeared, likely hunting more "darkfriends," Daranbar was releasing his Gateway and the Aes Sedai and their Aiel companion talked in hushed tones, whilst Taryn sat alone in the grass. She looked sad.

He could not see the other Aiel, the one he had briefly fought with in their former camp. Perhaps he had taken off with that odd bear-man.

Ahsdale moved to find Daranbar, the Asha'man was tying his horse to an overhanging branch when he approached. "We certainly have an abundance of trees wherever we go. Makes a man yearn for the city," he said fingering his well-oilder Taraboner moustache. "I love the forest," came Ahsdale's distant reply. He was still thinking of his father.

"I plan to talk to Koriandre Sedai about my dreams. She has agreed to talk to me once Taryn is feeling better. If I may ask," said Ahsdale, changing the subject, "do these Aes Sedai know why we are travelling, who we are looking for ?"

Daranbar shook his head slowly, "And they are not too know. This man is dangerous, untaught, but once the Black Tower has him in it's grasp, he can be trained and will be mighty among us. These Aes Sedai would gentle him, should they know of him. It is one of their chief roles as Aes Sedai to hunt down men who can channel, and gentle them. Cut the off from the Source. A fate, its said, thats much worse than death."

"Nonetheless, I must talk with her," said Ahsdale, placing a hand on Daran's shoulder, "I promise I will not reveal your mission to anyone."

It was near night and the smell of the cooking boar was drawing a crowd. The group sitting close to each other, still in their tight knit groups. The bear-man had not returned. Nor had the Aiel. Looking at the sky, Ahsdale realized it had been close to three hours since they left. He wondered what they were doing. As Ahsdale walked towards the fire, he saw Koriandre walken away from the groups. Over to her equipment, he followed after.

"Excuse me, Aes Sedai, a moment If I may.." he asked.

"Ofcourse, how can I help you. I believe you mentioned some odd dreams you were having. I have some sleeping potions in my bag If you would like ?"

Ahsdale shook his head, he had tried every sleeping potion under the sun. They put him to sleep alright, but they did not stop the dreams. As all the merchants had claimed they would.

"No, they will not work. This is something much more serious. I see a man in my dreams. He....he has fire in place of his eyes and mouth, and.....and he hurts me, Aes Sedai. I feel the pain in my dreams as if it actually happened, and I have awakened with the wounds. This man, he calls himself "Ba'alzamon." Does this mean anything to you ?" Ahsdale said as he looked up, and saw the Aes Sedai's eyes widen in shock.

15. Unraveller

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    The sun was sinking low by the time he returned to the area. It had taken a while but he had located the Aiel, slowly working a wide perimeter. He straightened and walked up openly, suprising an Aiel, particularly one of a society, was a good way to get a spear in your guts before he realised who you were. Besides, being taken unawares was shaming.

"I see you Spearbrother."

"I see you Bear-Man. It is good to have shade this day."

"That it is my brother. Will you share my water?" The man nodded, taking the proffered skin and drinking sparingly, keeping his eyes moving as he did so, not missing the smallest movement.

"I would know how you know of our ways when none in the Wetlands do, save the Borderlanders of the East. But first, what news?"

"Tracks. Unusual in this weather except beneath the trees and sporadically even there. There are some unusual travellers some distance away but they will probably not affect us. I have eyes on them. What news here?"

"Clear. The others are setting camp and your animals prowl the woods. You are a mystery my friend but you dance well, as do your pets."

"Not my pets, my friends. As for the rest, I am a traveller of many lands, including the Three-Fold Land. I first came there in company with the Tuatha'an, the Lost Ones. It was a hard time for me, you could say I was a different man then. Later I returned, though I only intended to walk the Dragonwall. Events did not fall that way and the Pattern spun me a different path. It was years before I left and it was Shae'en Din of the Stone Dogs."

The Aiel jumped at the name but recovered quickly.

"I have heard that name. And another, worse, supposed to be the same man."

"More than one and some worse than others. There have been many passages of my life though I seldom speak of any but the most recent. Here I am just Shaedin. May you always have water and shade."

"I am Haeruc of the Jaern Rift Sept of the Codarra Aiel, a Stone Dog. May you always find water and shade. Spearbrother."

"I am glad to know you brother, we will have much to talk of. Now, let us return to the others and see if that beast the Borderlander took tastes as good as it looked."

Warily as ever, but moving together, they passed through the last shadows of evening toward the clearing.

16. Nynaeve

Nynaeve <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    Maera stood quietly off to the side as the men introduced themselves and strutted around. After a few minutes of examining a map, the Ash'a'man stood with the boarderlander at his side. Out of no where, a beam of light appeared in the middle of the clearing. Slowly it spread out large enough for men to walk through together. "Showoff", she thought with a small smile. She wondered if he had learned that from the Car'a'carn, and if she could do it. Maybe Kori would know.

Marea stood back as the men pushed through first. Something about the way the Bear-man stepped through the portal stopped her. In the dawn light, the way he moved made her halt in her tracks. It almost reminded her of.... No, it couldn't be, that would be impossible! Wouldn't it? She had heard about that from the Wise Ones, but still needed more information. She would have to find out, it could change everything.

Maera watched him like a hawk as she walked through, as he slunk off with to check the perimeter. After a long while she crept into the woods, looking for him, and Haeruc who had disappeared as well. Silently sneaking through the brush, she crouched a good distance away. Too far away to hear what they were saying, she watched as they talked, and walked off together. Seeing both of them together, she knew she was right. They moved exactly the same way, seeing them you would think they spent years hunting together.

Maera sat for a while, thinking what this would mean. Her thoughts organized, she stood and walked back. Seeing Haeruc, she grabbed his arm and dragged him out of the other's hearing range. "Is it him?" She demanded. "Is it Shae'en Din?" She stood with her arms crossed, waiting for his answer.

17. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    "Yes" Was all Haeruc said, looking back over to where he had walked off. He had heard stories of Shae'en Din, good and bad, a mad wetlander who fought like an animal, a wetlander with the strength and skill to be accepted by his society. They varied much, but Haeruc knew it was him, he walked like a Stone Dog, he knew more of the threefold land than any other wetlander he had met, "It must be him"

Haeruc loped off back to the clearign after that, looking off into the distance, checking for any hiding enemies. He had no way of knowing where they were, no way of knowing who could be watching or waiting around them. He saw Maera returnign to the others aswell, probably thinking about Shae'en Din, Haeruc was hungier than he had ver felt before, and his mouth watered eagerly when he smelt the boar cooking from afar.

18. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    The isolation was not unexpected, Daranbar mused as he sat by a small cook fire apart from the other members of the unlikely company. Ahsdale and the other young borderlander seemed to be hitting it off quite well together, and the Asha’Man couldn’t help but notice the sideways looks he got from the women in the group. He smiled openly at the thought of their discomfort, though he realized that being around this many witches could prove quite dangerous to a channeling man.

Daran pondered his position while he ate a healthy potion of the roasted boar and drank from one of the bottles of wine they’d acquired from Urayio’s home. What point did he have in staying with this group? He asked himself. He needed to find the channeling Warder before he was gentled. That was when the though struck him . . . suppose one of these women knew of this man, would they point the Asha’man in the right direction? Light, for all he knew he might be aiding these women in hunting the man down. That was a disturbing thought, the fact that he might be aiding the witches in their hunt to gentle a man.

Which one to question? He asked himself as he continued his meal.

19. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    For a long time, Kori just sat staring at the gateway. She had read of such things in the library at Tar Valon, but thought that information lost forever. How could Aes Sedai have allowed the loss of such valuable information? she thought. How much easier would Tarmon Gai'Don be if knowledge of such power wasn't gone. But now wasn't the time to mourn forgotten weaves, she knew. They needed to camp for the night so everyone could regroup and regain strength. The battle against the White Cloaks had expended most of their energy, Kori wasn't even sure if she could channel enough to heat a cup of tea at the moment.

Somewhat uncomfortable about the Asha'man, the women grouped together leaving him with his friend. Ashdale seemed seemed the more pleasant of the pair. Atleast he was making himself useful starting a fire and roasting the boar. Daran sat alone, not even attempting to converse with anyone but his companion. Kori knew the sight of so many channeling females unnerved him, but they were currently in no position to shield or gentle him. Surely he knew that.

While she went about her chores, Koriandre observed the Asha'man as much as she could while being discrete. It puzzled her how he managed to channel for atleast a few months now without going insane. So many men lost their sanity within the first week of accidental channeling. What kind of training was this dragon offering that helped the man ward off channeling sickness and insanity? Although watching him blankly stare into the forest did make her suspect the man wasn't quite as sane as she first thought.

Between their supplies and Ahsdale's boar, the small group had a satisfying meal. It would have been better if Daran hadn't stalked off by himself, started a private fire and swilled wine from a bottle without even politely offering to share. There was no way Kori would have accepted, but he should attempt to exhibit some manners.

Kori sat with the other women quietly talking and drinking tea. For awhile they stared at Kelaine's map of the area, attempting to pick out the best route. They didn't have much idea where Steivan was. He somehow kept the bond so fuzzed, Kori couldn't get anything but a vague sense that he was no more than a few days away. But in which direction she couldn't really tell. Standing up Kori told Kelaine and Maera, "All I can hope is that when he rests tonight he lets down his guard more and we can get a better direction. If not pray the creator is with us when we choose a path in the morning." With nothing more to discuss, Kori went over to her saddlebag to get her book. She was approached by a rather concerned looking Ahsdale.

"Excuse me, Aes Sedai, a moment If I may.." he asked.

"Ofcourse, how can I help you. I believe you mentioned some odd dreams you were having. I have some sleeping potions in my bag If you would like?" Kori started to say.

"No, they will not work. This is something much more serious. I see a man in my dreams. He....he has fire in place of his eyes and mouth, and.....and he hurts me, Aes Sedai. I feel the pain in my dreams as if it actually happened, and I have awakened with the wounds. This man, he calls himself "Ba'alzamon." Does this mean anything to you ?" Ahsdale said as he looked up.

Kori stared at him in shock. The man was being visited by the dark one. What could he possibly want with Ahsdale. She was fairly sure the man wasn't already a dark friend. Even if he were, there was probably much easier ways to communicate with him than through dreams. Kori didn't even want to know what darkness they would face soon. Tarmon Gai'Don was obviously on its way. Collecting her thoughts, she told the man. "It does. The Dark One wants you for some reason." The man went paler with her words. Before he could think too deeply on the matter she continued, "I can help you. Before you rest tonight, I will set up a ward to protect your dreams. It will keep any outside intereference away. This is the only thing that can help until I can think of why this is happening."

Ahsdale nodded at Kori, visibly relieved that for atleast that night he would not be visited, "Thank you, Aes Sedai" he said as he walked back towards Daran. The ward to protect dreams was simple enough. All Aes Sedai kept their dreams warded. But Kori was puzzled as to why he hadn't asked the Asha'man about it. Surely he would have been able to shield the man's dreams also.

Clearing her thoughts of the matter, Kori went and picked up her book. After the long day, she needed a few moments to unwind before setting wards around the campsite. If she couldn't clear up the muddle in her head, she wouldn't have the necessary strength to set those wards and the one for Ashdale too. Leaning back on her saddle, Kori was quickly immersed in the book.

20. Elan Morin Tedronai

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Ahsdale swept his black hair from out of his eyes and walked over the Daran's private camp. The Aes Sedai had promised to ward his dreams, but if Daran was right, these witches meant trouble. His only run in with an Aes Sedai had ended badly. He looked at his heron-mark blade, and remembered where it came from. It had belonged to a Warder. A dead Warder. And now it was his. He tapped the hilt of the blade, and gripped it lightly as he walked over to Daranbar.

"What were you talking to the witches about ?" he asked, as Ahsdale sat down on a log beside him. "Since when are my comings and goings any business of your's, Asha'man ?" he replied with a slight grin, "If you must know, I just asked her about my dreams..."

Daranbar's eyes shot up, "You told her about Ba'alzamon ? What did she say ?"

"She said the Dark One was hunting me," he said flatly.

"The...the Dark One ? What could he want with you ?" said the Asha'man, with both wonder and terror on his face.

"A story for another day, it would seem..." he said as he got up, "you should join the others, Daran. Companionship hurts noone. And you will have to deal with these Aes Sedai soon enough, perhaps Koriandre Sedai would be a good place to start. She seems a kind soul."

Daran brooded on that a moment, and Ahsdale left him to it. He looked around, searching for signs of this bear-man. He had dissapeared sometime ago, and noone knew if he was coming back or not. Ahsdale looked towards the Aes Sedai, packing up for the night as they huddled around a small fire, sharing tea.

Ahsdale wondered if the Aes Sedai would ward his dreams, and if it would even help. If the Dark One was after him, surely an Aes Sedai could not stop him. Deciding he needed the rest, Ahsdale went to his pack and untied his sleeping roll, lying himself down near Daranbar's small fire. The man still sat on the log, idly playing at the flames with a stick. He wonders what to do with the Aes Sedai, he thought, as sleep took him.

He awoke several hours later, screaming in agony.

Search tags for this page

asha mansoon