RPG #16 - Barteris

Discussion in 'RPG # 16 - Barteris' started by Nienor, May 11, 2006.

1. Wolf star *

Wolf star * I walk alone.

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    The Rovers studded tires spit up stones and mud from the small but powerful rain shower as Mason nailed the gas. The patched together vehicle was taking a pounding over the last few days but Mason hoped it would last at lest until they had a place to rest. The vehicles body shivered and creaked as the powerful engine kicked into high gear sending them all forward.

Mason watched as Kobora disappeared into the quickly spreading distance behind the rover; Just above a fine crack that spread across the silver glass were it said, object my be closer then they appear.

“Is Kabora committing suicide….?” Asked Fen, She kept her head turned towards the back.

Mason shrugged his shoulders as if answering that he had no idea but he though to him self that if the man wanted to give his life so they could get away then so be it. He was trained in survival skills and rule number one was self preservation. It had been a hard rule to follow some times but it had saved his life on countless occasions.

Raven who had just joined the travelers reached over and brushed back Fens long hair. “I wouldn't worry young one, with the magic I had just seen him use he may yet survive,” Raven tried her best to give the young girl a comforting smile.

The Rover lunged right to left traversing the hard landscape. Mason had to get as much speed as he could get, to get some good distance but he also had to make sure that they never crashed or blew out a tire. The killer bugs had tremendous speed and they could catch them quick enough to make any mistake a fatal one.

He was able to see Fugg in the distance having the same problem with the terrain but his bike could maneuver faster then the land rover.

Just as they started to come over a rise, Cambei indicated a light in the distance. Fugg must have seen it to because he started to alter his course towards the same light.

After another ten minutes of being thrown back and forth Mason could make out what appeared to be a farm house. The sun bleached yellow house with pealing paint sat in among a great number of fences and a large barn that looked to be still in use.

They pulled to a stop in the morning light just before the house. A small well clamed the center of the mucky yard and on the porch sat an older man with a bubble barrel shot gun lying across his legs for easy access.
    Mason was about to speak to the man but the man slowly stood up and shouldered his gun. He was dressed in a pair of dirty blue coveralls and had light graying hair. He walked with a slight lip and made his way towards the front of the porch.

“What will you be needing stranger,” he made no threatening motion towards Mason and never looked at Fugg who had been sitting on his still running Bike opposite the well from the SUV.

“A few rooms if you can spare them,” Mason had been on the road for two weeks now and was in desperate need of some rest.

“I,” spoke the man, “do yah got gil, and if yah do, we might make some arrangements.”

“If you got room, I might be able to scrounge a few up,” Mason knew that the man had already decided if there little traveling group was a threat because they would already be sharing lead by now.

“Women can stay in the house and the men in the barn, take it or leave it!”

“How do we know we can trust you,” asked Raven from the back window

The man scratched his chin in though, “well I can’t trust you eater but we are in the same position. You are risking your lives to stay hear and I am risking the lives of my wife and child,” He looked at the group and kept his eyes stern. Then he turned and called into the house, “Martha, Bring Henry out we have company.” The door then opened and a woman of forty years exited the front entrance. She had on a kitchen apron and looked as if she was just finishing up preserves with Barrie stains all over the front. In her a hand she pulled along a young boy about the age of twelve. He pulled his arm free from his mother and ran back into the house. His little green eyes could be seen peering out the front window.

“What is it Jonathan, I got to check the pot or it will boil over,” then she just noticed the rough looking crowd that was sitting in the farm house yard.

Mason thought she was going to convince her husband to send them away but to his surprise she made a big smile.

“Well just don’t stand there, invite them in,” she cleaned her hand free of the sticky jam and made her way towards the SUV, “Don’t be shy come on in we have lunch ready and there should be plenty for every one.” She had a nice smile that made every one feel comfortable even Mason.

“Now woman, we were just about to set a price and don’t you be going and giving every thing away like you did with that trader last week,” He made a scowl at Martha. Martha turned on her heels and placed her hand on her hip, “Don’t be telling me what I can and can’t do, or I will never make that pie you been wanting. Besides they look like they could use a good meal,” She gave her husband a mean look that would turn and wild animal away with his tail tucked between his legs.

“Its ok,” Mason said to finish any more argument, “we have Gil and it is the lest we can do to pay our way. I won’t accept any freebees and I would say that lunch sounds good. “

With the mentioning of food Martha lost any will to further the argument with her husband, “Then come in, come in It should be ready in moment.” She gestured with her hand then turned towards the house.

Last edited: May 30, 2006
  2. LadyRaven

LadyRaven Sanzo's girl

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Raven climbed out of the SUV and fallowed Mason and the othersover to the farm house. Although she wasn't sure about the old man sitting on the frount porch, she seamed to like how welcoming his wife was. With how crule the world was now adays her kind is rare and slowly deminshing.She was just about to step throught the door when Martha held up her hand at her, "Hold on thee young lady, Now I don't mind taking in and feeding trvelers as yourself But I will not have you dirtieing up my floor. Go and fetch this young lady a bucket of water son. You can clean up in the barn for now, I'll fetch you some cleanning cloths and something for you to wair untill your clothes are cleaned up" she spoke in a stern and motherly tone of voice.

Raven had a look of compleat embarssment, "Um.. thank you for you thoughtfullness but I can make due with just the bucket of water. I have all I need to clean myself up in my pack" she explained and turned to fallow the young lad out side to the well.

"Here you be miss, " the boy replied after he strugled bringing the full bucket of water up and out of the deep well.

raven grabed a hold of the rope handle of the water bucket and lifted it free from the well for the young lad, "I'll take it from here even though a strong lad as you self wouldn't have anyproblems carrying such a heavy bucket" she explained. Raven watched the boys face ligh right up by her kind words, "Now will you be so kind as to show me to the barn,"

The young lad, who now was sporting a proud look upon his face, showed Raven the way the barn. With the quite heavy and full bucket of water in one hand, she carfully sliped her free hand in behind her back and carfully pulled out one of her hidden daggers and pulled it up inside of her coat sleave just incase.

Once inside of the barn the young lad showed her to an empty stall that had been long empty of any type of animal, "This is the best I can do for you right now miss. Mother dosn't even alow father or I inside with even a speck of dirt on our shoes" he chuckled as he walked out of the barn so that she could be free to wash up.

Walking around the barn, Raven made sure that there was noway that anyone could sneek in on her while she bathed. Returning to the stall she took off her her pack and set that agenst the sind wall and took off her bow, quiver and fighting knives, that were all hooked together and placed them onto a large nail that was sticking out of the wall along with her trench coat. Raven then took off all of her hidden daggers and gun holster that was around her hips and placed it that so she could easily grab her Colt Revolver and began taking off her boots and then her pants leaving her in just her tank top and skivies.

After washing herself up with the cool water and carfully washed all of the sand out of her hair. Raven walked over to her pack and pulled out her spair pair of pants that she had with her and began to re-dress herself quickly. armming herself with only her Colt Revolver she placed most of her daggers insided of her pack except for the ons that were hidden inside of her boots.. slinging her pack over one sholder along with her quiver and fighting knives and drapped her trench coat of her arm and began to make her way back to the farm house.

3. Luther_the_Great

Luther_the_Great The Amazing

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    When Raven returned to the house the others were all sitting around a large table chatting. All except for Fen who was off somewhere with Henry, who was becoming a fast friend of hers. As Raven entered the room the farmer was asking Mason.

"So what brings such a strange group awandering through the hinterlands? Sounds like a decent tale to me."

Mason laughed and said "Perhaps interesting but hardly long. Most of us are fleeing from the riots in Hell's Kitchen, a very rough place. These two ladies, pointing to Rapture and Raven, we picked up from the quicksand bogs in the desert. We have just come from there, we have been driving at full speed for hours fleeing from the giant desert bugs."

At that comment the farmer jumped to his feet with a fury of explictives "So why the hell did you come here for!? They've probably followed you all the way here! I knew better than letting a band of wild folk into my home. Martha, grab the spare shot gun and and bar the doors. I've got to get the livestock into the barn before they get here!"

"Now now wait a second sir" Mason interupted the man. "None of them followed us, we couldn't have out run them if they had followed us. Actually, one of our company staid behind to fend them off."

With that, the farmer cooled down a bit, he was a wise man and he quickly saw that there was little
    likelihood of Mason's company ever reaching him if the bugs had followed. "Then your friend's a goner. No body every survived a bug attack out in the middle of the desert." He called to his family to go back to what they were doing.

"My you do have a talent for getting in trouble." Mason laughed, he had to admit it was true.

"So now we are in a bit of a bind. We don't know where we are with any degree of accuracy, if the rover starts again it will be a miracle but it wont go far if it does, and I have to get to North Fort by the quickest route."

At that moment Fen and Henry walked in the room, hoping that everyone had had enough talk and were ready to eat.

"Well now, things aint so bad as you may reckon. As for where y'are, yerr on the outskirts of Mertle, a small cluster of farming towns, the cheif of which is called Daitly. I suppose a feller'd be able ter get anythin he needed in Daitly. As for yer rover, I've got enough mechanical parts to fix'er up enough to get yer to town. Though parts cost right much in town, they only take nadyrs there, though I s'pose a group like you can manage to make the dough quick enough. Though I should warn you, since you folk are so apt to trouble, steer clear of Vardel's men."

Fen picked up her ears at that name, where had she heard that name before?

"Vardel??, you mean the rich water baron Ernst Vardel? I forgot he operated out of Daitly." He had been there before on business. He was much relieved now that he knew where they were.

With a flash Fen remembered her dream, the old fat man was Ernst Vardel. The sound of his screams came back into her head and made her shudder.

"Yeah, Vardel's men control everything that happens in Mertle, hell he has a say in everything in this desert. He controls every permanent water supply, and he makes sure that no new ones show up either. Everyone has to pay a water tax to him nowadays whether we uses his water or not. I don't know what he gets from those in the outlands as most of them folk never heard of a nadyr. Folk have come to trouble as crossed him. He's what'che call an untouchable. Boy I'd like to see the day when someone stole from him the way he does to all the rest of the folks around here. But that'll never happen and such talk often leads to trouble"

"Anyway, you just stay here tonight and tomarrow I'll look into fixen your rover up so it can amble into Daitly. Though I recken you'll be there a while. I'd be will'in to fix you up with some cash if you'd be willin to sell one of those fine weapons you've got. That's what I call bug repellent."

They went on talking for sometime when Martha came in from the kitchen and announced that supper was ready.

4. Nizati

Nizati ShadowDagger

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    “Is Kabora committing suicide….?” Asked Fen as she watched the mysterious man she has only met a few hours ago, disappear with one of to two women, and Fugg. She couldn’t help but feel a huge ball of guilt in the pit of her stomach. She liked Fugg… and Kabora didn’t seem that bad either… at least he smiled at her. Why don’t they help? Mason and Cambei are strong enough… and Fen had faced bugs before… ok, they scared her half to death and she ran for life… but altogether, they could do something… couldn’t they? The lady named Raven put her arm around Fen and smiled the best she could. “I wouldn't worry young one, with the magic I had just seen him use he may yet survive.” Fen already liked Raven… she was like the big and fun sister Fen never had. Realizing that it was no use to argue with these grown-ups, Fen stayed quiet.

Finally, the vehicle stopped at a farmer’s house that was in the middle of this no-where. A man came out of the Farm house as Mason stepped out of his car and they both started talking about room and board and prices. Yet again Fen felt somewhat bad… She didn’t want to be a burden for Mason anymore then she had to… if it costs money to sleep in the house, then Fen herself would be just fine on the ground. Then, as things were starting to get tense between Mason and the farmer, the farmer’s wife came out and started acting… well… like a mother should. “Well just don’t stand there, invite them in. Don’t be shy come on in we have lunch ready and there should be plenty for every one.” Lunch? Food??? Her stomach growled at the mention of a meal. Only able to hold her excitement for a few seconds longer, Fen quickly undid her seatbelt and shot into the Farm just as the lady started beckoning them in.

Mmmmmm… warm food… tasty food… Fen knew that this meal was spoiling her rotten and she didn’t care. Oh, how long has it been since she ate REAL food??? Yet again, Fen inhaled all Martha, the farm lady, would give her and always did her best to thank her afterwards. Martha was also giving mean looks to Mason for every plate of food she gave Fen… probably giving him silent “heck” for letting Fen “starve”… but, that was only a guess.

After the meal she and the boy, Henry went outside.... ok... they were more or less kicked outside so the adults could talk... but that didn't bother Fen much. Henry wasn't that bad for a kid. She didn't know much in the way of games... specially since she spent most of her time pick-pocketing and running... but she should shure kick his butt in wrestling!! And he was very good at telling jokes too. So, after a few hours of goofing off and having fun, Fen told him about her skills at "glass making". And with that, he gave her a huge smile. "if you think that shiny stuff is pretty, you should see what WE have!" With that, he led her down to the cellar of their house, where he took out this tiny statue from a wooden box.... it was so pretty... and... it glowed? Yup, the jem in the centre of the statue was green and glowed with a light of its own. Fen could feel her gut twist in its presence. The tiny thief in her was very tempted to take it.... so pretty... but before she could even motion herself to take it, Henry put it back in the box.... the feeling was gone, and the feeling of guilt was quickly taking its place. "It's a relic. Made by the acients i think.... Either way, it helps stuff grow out here.... sand doesn't hold much water... but with this, it doesn't really matter! Oh... shoot... dad told me not to tell anyone.... please don't tell papa? I don't wanna get in trouble" Fen decided it would be ok to keep the secret. With that, they went back into the house unnoticed while the adults were still talking.

… at one point they talked about the water baron of Hell’s Kitchen…. Fen remember him cutting off his own finger…. Ugh… But… maybe the danger is over now… maybe that was just to foreshadow the bugs… but a part of Fen doubted that. Finally it was dinner and it was time to woof down some more wonderful food. Afterwards, the farm people left to do farm work and let Fen and the others settle after their meal. (Raven went to take a bath and suggested Fen to take one as well… yeah right… a bath… what a total waste of water)

Fen thought about all the things she wanted to ask and tell Mason and Cambei… Well, this was as good as a time as any… specially since time seemed against their side.
    Fen cautiously made her way to Cambei who was sitting in a corner of the room with his legs folded under him in a strange way. As she approached, he looked up and smiled slightly… a good sign.
    “Here.” Said Fen, fishing out the ball of glass which was still in her pocket, and handing it to Cambei. “I saw you looking at it before… I’d like you to have it… it’s the least I could do for you saving me like you did.” Fen sat on the ground in front of him, trying to smile as much as possible. “You’re really good at fighting, you know… and… I bet you’re really good at a lot of things… and.. and… I was wondering… could you teach me something? Anything? Like fighting better, and stuff?” Fen could see Mason look over from the table, an eyebrow raised. It felt like she was selling glass to them all over again… begging…. and hoping. “I… I guess I could ask the same thing of you too, Mason. You’re really strong, and tough… both of you are… I’m sure you could teach me a lot of stuff about how to survive… and how to be strong… I… I don’t have much to offer in return… except myself… so, that’s what I’ll do. If one of you could teach me, I would stay by your side and do whatever you tell me to do until you don’t want or need me anymore. And that’s a promise. So… what do you think?” There. She said it. Now all Fen could do is wait. And, boy… at that moment she thought fighting a thousand bugs would be less scary then those few seconds of wait time.

5. Gil-Galad_360

Gil-Galad_360 Aran Noldorin

Mirkwood, keeping the woods free of Morgoth's mini
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Fugg twisted back the bike’s accelerator as hard as he could, as he was seeing Kabora disappear in the distance through the mirror.

He had to dodge many rock formations on his path, and at 130km/h it wasn’t too easy, he felt when he drove over a small rock, but there was nothing he could do about it except keep driving.

Then he saw a light in the distance and drove towards it, any shelter where he could rest would be fine for him, for he had not slept at all, save perhaps when he got knocked out, but even then he woke up soon.

Finally he arrived at a farm with a well on the front, driving on the other side of it came the rover with everybody else on board.

As Fugg was parking his vehicle, he could overhear the farmer asking: “What will you be needing stranger?”

He then got off his bike and went to check the front tire, he felt relieved to see that even if the stone had pierced the rubber, the tire was solid and henceforth it couldn’t loose air.

As Fugg was checking his vehicle, he overheard Mason answering: “A few rooms if you can spare them”

Once he was sure the farmer was not going to shoot them off his farm, he did not pay much attention to the rest of the talk, though he heard when the farmer’s wife asked everybody to go inside, Fugg was about to do that when the woman spoke to him:

“I’m sorry sir, but y’ can’t get inside as dirty as ya are, I would take a bath now if I were you, but you gotta wait until the lady comes out from the barn”.

He said nothing, though in his mind he admitted he could use a bath

When Raven came from the barn, she gave the farmer woman the bucket she used, who then gave it to Fugg, he then after filling it as much as he could, went to the barn and closed the door. After a while steam could be seen coming from inside the barn; by the time he got out of the barn he was clean as well as his clothes, and as dry as they were when he got in.

As he was entering the house Fugg overheard a well-known to him name: Vardel, Ernst Vardel, the water lord of the desert.

He entered the house, grabbed a chair and sat down.

"Yeah, Vardel's men control everything that happens in Mertle, hell he has a say in everything in this desert. He controls every permanent water supply, and he makes sure that no new ones show up either. Everyone has to pay a water tax to him nowadays whether we uses his water or not. I don't know what he gets from those in the outlands as most of them folk never heard of a nadyr. Folk have come to trouble as crossed him. He's what'che call an untouchable. Boy I'd like to see the day when someone stole from him the way he does to all the rest of the folks around here. But that'll never happen and such talk often leads to trouble" Said Jonathan, the farmer.

Fugg was a little surprised by the fact that Vardel’s control had spread much since the last time he’d been by those parts, but it was to be expected; powerful men wish only more power.

"Anyway, you just stay here tonight and tomarrow I'll look into fixen your rover up so it can amble into Daitly. Though I reckon you'll be there a while. I'd be willin’ to fix you up with some cash if you'd be willin’ to sell one of those fine weapons you've got. That's what I call bug repellent."

Soon, everybody was called for supper. It had been long since Fugg had a nice homemade meal

6. Winterine

Winterine Ranger-Bard

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Rapture watched as the woman sent Raven off to bathe. She turned to Rapture next. “Ah, and you too, dearie. Henry won’t be a moment.”

“That’s quite alright,” said Rapture, smiling a little cheesily. “You’ll notice I’m no more dirty than you – your everyday desert dust is all.” Ok, that could have come out nicer. But who’s going to explain to this woman that dirt doesn’t cling to my suit? And I am not about to make myself more vulnerable than necessary…

The woman hesitated, then possibly noticed that Rapture was correct – her suit was hardly dirty at all. “Well, you can at least leave that tone outside, won’t you? And dust off that coat if you insist on keeping it on.”

Rapture’s smile relaxed into a more genuine one as she decided she found this woman amusing. She dutifully dusted her coat down and entered. Inside, the man called Jonathan was talking, and Mason was more or less speaking on the group’s behalf. Rapture was content to listen, noting that Fen had gone outside after eating. The talking went on, and she wasn’t surprised that the talk eventually managed to involve Ernst Vardel. She made no outward indication that she particularly cared either way for the topic, and continued to sit quietly and listen.

“He's what'che call an untouchable,” the farmer was saying. “Boy I'd like to see the day when someone stole from him the way he does to all the rest of the folks around here. But that'll never happen and such talk often leads to trouble"

Untouchable…right. Rapture then started to think about the sleeping arrangements…her, Raven and Fen would be sleeping in the house with Martha and Henry. Martha came and served supper, but again Rapture hardly ate anything.

Their hosts then busied themselves with work, allowing the group to settle in. Rapture had a few things to think about. She began to wonder if following this group had really been an unnecessary diversion after all. Kite and Condor were still being held, and she hadn't heard from the others. She'd been having a little difficultly gathering together the ransom, and had agreed to "buy" herself extra time by doing a few "odd jobs." She was quite familiar with most of the big bounties - at least the ones that had been unclaimed for some time. While she didn't mind a challenge, she didn't go out of her way to get herself into trouble, especially with all the conspiracy that she had gotten into. She sighed, as if bored, and her gaze wandered about the room as she considered her current companions.

Rapture’s attention settled on the huge guy with sunglasses. Give him a shower and a hot meal and he’s practically glowing she couldn’t help but think, grinning a little. Possibly feeling her gaze upon him, he turned to her, acknowledging her presence with a nod and a neutral smile.

She eyed him a moment longer, then said quietly (so as not to disturb the others, as well as so the others could not overhear easily), “So, what’s your story, Mr Fugg?”

Mr Fugg, is it?” he said, raising his eyebrows. “I can’t remember the last time anybody called me that.”

Rapture smiled, and was about to answer when her attention was drawn towards Fen as she approached the young-looking monk and Mason. “I… I guess I could ask the same thing of you too, Mason. You’re really strong, and tough… both of you are… I’m sure you could teach me a lot of stuff about how to survive… and how to be strong… I… I don’t have much to offer in return… except myself… so, that’s what I’ll do.”
    Whoa! Girl, do you have any idea what you’re saying? thought Rapture, rather amused and intrigued. Unless you bunch are a lot more close-knit than I thought you were, you’re being overly trusting.

“If one of you could teach me,” Fen went on, “I would stay by your side and do whatever you tell me to do until you don’t want or need me anymore. And that’s a promise. So… what do you think?”
    Why so desperate, hmm? On the run are you? Haven’t had a chance to really talk to you yet, better not jump to any conclusions or make any decisions until I do.

As Fen awaited an answer, Rapture nudging Fugg in a conspiratorial way, she said whispered quietly, “What do you make of that?”

Last edited: May 31, 2006
  7. Wolf star *

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Mason was talking to Jonathan or mostly listening to the man rattle on about how hard the baron was making everyone’s life in the out lands.

“Fear is what they are trying to force you to believe; fear of there guns and fear with out there protection. It has always been a good way to keep people inline,” Mason held Jonathan’s eyes with every word.

“Protection,” scoffed the farmer. “What protection? If it ant the bugs harassing my horses or bandits attacking the supply wagons then there the damn mutants. Protection, what protection?” the farmer stabbed a wad of home made bread into a jar of honey then shoved it into his mouth.

“From his own men, I would say,” answered Mason.

“You got that right Stranger! The only protection we need is from him.” Jonathan yelped at Mason with a mouth half full of food.

Martha looked over to Jonathan with a scowl, “not with your mouth open,” she then replaced her look to a pleasant smile as she turned back to the others.

Jonathan looked at her from the corner of his eye then swallowed hard as she turned away, “Every year he sends his men to collect his tribute. Leaving us with just enough food to get by and some times none at all, during the bad season. Luckily we have a hidden cellar that they have never found yet.
    What gets my goat is that if we had a bad year, then he thinks we are hording it from him. So then they tack other thing,” Jonathan looked at Martha who had just turned her head towards him at the mentioning of other thing. He could see a tear forming in the corner of her eye. Her face looked like she had just been to a funeral as he reached over and comforted her hand in his.

Mason didn’t have to ask what the other things could have been. It was painted all over there faces. He knew that slavery was a common practice in the out lands. Some were sold into slave labor and others were sent to the fighting pits. But most of the women got sold as sex slaves. Even became pets to the barons if they grabbed his attention.

Mason always made it a point to kill every slave trader he could get into his gun sights. One time he could recall around snake pass he had come across a camp with twelve slavers and two cages set up for the night to hold the slaves. He snuck into the camp when the night was at its darkest and used his knife to sneak from man to man slitting there throats one at a time. He then opened the cages to set them all free.

He was a slave himself from childhood and after his father had destroyed the only place that he had called home he vowed to never become the property to any one ever again. Of course after he was freed, Mason never knew that the man who had helped him that day was his father until six years later when he had finely met up with him former master and convinced him at the end of his hand cannon to tell him the truth.

It still didn’t save the barons life. A dead enemy was no threat like the Baron had thought him. To bad he had taught him to well. Mason smiled at the last thought and noticed Fen had a look of fear in her eyes.

“If one of you could teach me,” Fen went on, “I would stay by your side and do whatever you tell me to do until you don’t want or need me anymore. And that’s a promise. So… what do you think?”

Mason was struck by the girl’s candor. He was speechless for a time before he could get the word to reach his lips. “No need fen you are welcome to travel with me as long as you would like, as for the other I can not say,” Mason pulled his plate closer.

Fen smiled at him, “do you mean it?”

Mason nodded towards her and winked, “ as for training well, I would teach you any that I can, But you have some talents that I don’t possess.” Mason gave her a coy smile and remembered the time that she had her hand in his pocket at the bar. She replaced the item but Mason still caught her motion in the crowed room.

“Fen. can I ask you some thing that I should have before?” Mason picked up a baked potato covered in running butter and placed the delicious thing in his mouth. The meat juices mixed in with the potato from his plate made Mason taste buds dance with flavors.

“Sure” she said bluntly

“Ware is your parents? And are they still alive?” Mason asked after he swallowed the mouthful learning a lesson of manners from watching the reaction from the good farmer and his wife.

8. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Cambei made a point to observe everything that went on around him. This is something he was trained to do, however, sometimes he got a little, side tracked. When they first arrived at the old farmhouse he thought it was sort of odd that these people had managed to survive on the outskirts of anything on Barteris, especially in a place like this. That is until he heard about the water baron. He'd heard of people like him before, monopolizing on people's most basic need. It disgusted the monk, but the conversation was between Mason and the old man, so he didn't but in.

The food that the old lady prepaired was good, better than he was used to at least. The fact that they had seasonings to add onto it was also a plus in Cambei's book. Or, lack there of, Cambei never did like using that phrase, no more than he could read it seemed wrong of him to claim he had written a book.

After the dinner he was approached by Fen. The young girl pulled out the glass ball he'd noticed earlier and handed it to him. “I saw you looking at it before… I’d like you to have it… it’s the least I could do for you saving me like you did. You’re really good at fighting, you know… and… I bet you’re really good at a lot of things… and.. and… I was wondering… could you teach me something? Anything? Like fighting better, and stuff?” She seemed to struggle with the question. Like she wasn't expecting him to say yes. The thing was, he'd been asked this before.

But unlike Fen, those others who'd asked him struck him as the types who would use the art for personal gain, rather than defense and self betterment as it was intended. Before he could answer she also spoke to Mason.

“I… I guess I could ask the same thing of you too, Mason. You’re really strong, and tough… both of you are… I’m sure you could teach me a lot of stuff about how to survive… and how to be strong… I… I don’t have much to offer in return… except myself… so, that’s what I’ll do. If one of you could teach me, I would stay by your side and do whatever you tell me to do until you don’t want or need me anymore. And that’s a promise. So… what do you think?”

This made the situation all the more awkward. Luckily for Cambei, Mason was a fairly eloquent speaker. “No need fen you are welcome to travel with me as long as you would like, as for the other I can not say." Cambei agreed with this, and even more so based on the traditions of his order. "Your teaher is never your owner," Grand Master Guan had always said. Mason then asked something about Fen's parents. Cambei was interested in this as well, but it would be rude not to give Fen an answer. "I can teach you what I know, but it will take time, and there is no need for any type of servitude to me, it is my duty to pass on the way of my temple to others."

Last edited: May 31, 2006
  9. Gil-Galad_360

Gil-Galad_360 Aran Noldorin

Mirkwood, keeping the woods free of Morgoth's mini
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Fugg about to eat when Rapture talked to him: “So, what’s your story, Mr Fugg?”

Mr Fugg is it?” He asked, feeling amused by having anybody calling him that again after so long. “I can’t remember the last time anybody called me that.”
    He said.

Rapture was about to talk again when Fen came in interrupting and talked to Mason: “I… I guess I could ask the same thing of you too, Mason. You’re really strong, and tough… both of you are… I’m sure you could teach me a lot of stuff about how to survive… and how to be strong… I… I don’t have much to offer in return… except myself… so, that’s what I’ll do.”

“No need fen you are welcome to travel with me as long as you would like, as for the other I can not say,” Mason pulled his plate closer.” Replied Mason

Then Fen smiled and asked: “do you mean it?”

Fugg smiled unnoticeably, finishing his meal. Just when he was about to stand up, Rapture nudged him and asked him almost whispering: “What do you make of that?”

He just turned to see Rapture and stood up, then Fen grabbed his sleeve asking: “And you, how did you made fire in the tow, and..and that light on the desert, will you teach me how to do that??...to fight??

“You need magical relics to learn elemental magic, but don’t worry, when we get to the next town I’ll get you some” He then walked outside as Fen stood inside the house, as Fugg reached the porch, he turned around and asked Fen: “Do you still want to learn a few moves or not?” Encouraging the girl.

“YAY!!!!” she screamed joyfully.

Through the window everybody could see how the giant managed to show the little girl how to bring down, disarm sneak by, and distract enemies.

“Remember, now your best weapon is stealth, later you shall be able to use more combative techniques” Said Fugg, leaving Fen in the house and then heading for the barn to spend the night.

Later, Mason, Fugg and Cambei were heading to the barn, as they walked, they talked about their experiences on the road and the ideas they had for the next days.

When they were in the barn Fugg addressed Mason:”By the way Mason, there’s something about North Fort I need you to know”

“What?” Mason asked.

"As you know, the chief producer of ammo in this part of the world is North Fort. Yeah, I’ve picked up ammo there many times, top quality stuff for the most part” Said Fugg

He then lowered his voice to avoid being overheard: “Rumours say that North Fort is armouring up to prepare for a war that will subjugate both the North and the south. If this is true, such a conflict will be the greatest conflict this world has seen since the Great War, almost a thousand years ago.” He continued.

“They do have allies you know” Fugg said then. Mason nodded

Then, the giant kept on talking. “Anyway, I do know this: North Fort is hording most of the ammunitions it manufactures. That cuts off the greatest supply of ammo for the world.

The local warlords are getting nervous, with weapons already hard to come by, they are buying up all what they can get, rocketing up the prices phenomenally.

Some of them are allying themselves with North Fort for protection. Just as I was on my way to Hell’s Kitchen, I got wind of a huge exchange of weapons and ammo for relics.

Some great warlord to the East I think had a huge private collection of relics of great value, sold hundreds of them to get a supply of weapons and ammo”

“How do you know about this?” Asked Mason somewhat amazed; he’d heard rumours about war, but never that they were linked to relics.

“Well, you can’t kill dragons without making some connections.” Fugg answered.

“It’s getting late; you should go get some sleep” With these words, Fugg fell asleep sitting and leaning back to the wall, covering himself with his coat. With his right hand he was holding the handle of his sword, and with the left it’s scabbard.

10. Wolf star *

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Mason left the now sleepy Farmer to rest and headed out side were he had a small but informative conversation with fugg who was chatting with Fen.

Mason watched as Fugg fall fast a sleep still keeping his sword in easy reach.
    Mason knew the big man was just a dangerous with out the razor sharp weapon but even he could appreciate the comforting feel of hard steel resting in his hand.

The news that Fugg revealed to him was quite helpful but what he was going to do with the information was something he had to think upon. He had enough on his mind as it is.
    He chose fist watch so he could spend a little time to himself to mull over every thing.

He moved to the land rover and removed his bedroll, traveling pack along with his rifle. After he deposited the pack and roll into the large barn were he was going to bunk for the night he moved out of the hay filled barn and walked to a position in front of the house so he could see in almost every direction that was not hidden by the building. He then un-slung his rifle from his shoulder and scanned the horizon. He had spent more time in the house then he had thought because the sun was now setting low in the sky. Drawling in the night and making shadows lengthen. The day’s sun had dried the sand quickly and now it was blowing around the farm with every small gust of wind.

The thing that Mason wanted to think about was the two women they had picked up in the dunes the night before. He knew he had never seen Raven before in his life time but there was some thing about Rapture that he couldn’t put his finger on. As if he had seen her before. The thought kept nagging at the back of him mind the moment he had laid eyes on her. He didn’t what to talk to her right away a lunch, hope in she would have revealed something about her past over light conversation. But she never revealed as much as he would have liked her to.

He had been too a lot of places over his life time and could have seen her any place. There was something about her that issued a warning to him. One thing he knew for sure was that she was a trained solider or worrier just the way she carried her self. As for Raven he had no clue how she fit into it. Perhaps just bad luck or good luck though Mason. He knew Raven was just a dangerous as any other.

Mason watched a wind carried tumble weeds across the desert plain and wondered what had become of Kobora. Somehow he knew that he survived but in what condition was another story. For now Mason decided to put his mind to rest and worried about it when faith decided to reveal it hand to him.

Mason watched as a shadow approached from behind him. He was about to spin around with the rifle held high when a voice slowed him motion.

“Are you awake?”

“I’m on guard duty,” he replied Irritated. He didn’t want any one else around at the moment.

“Mind some company?” Raven stood beside him, shifting her weight from one foot to the other.

“It’s might not be safe out here.” Mason watched the women.

“I have coffee,” she offered him; she pulled up a thermos and pored out a cup full of back coffee and offered it to Mason.

“I’d like some,” Mason accepted the warm cup and nodded his thank to her.

“Look,” Raven said, fighting her awkward tone, “I appreciate ever thing you’ve done for me today. You saved my life and I won’t forget that.”

“Oh,” Mason arched his eyebrows, “we keeping score now?”

“No,” Raven said “but I wanted you to know.”

Mason nodded. “Okay.”

“So,” Mason asked, “how long have you known, Rapture?” He though he would take this opportunity to find out what he could from Raven.

“Her,” replied Raven, “I met her about the same time you did.”

Mason didn’t need to know anything more at this time so he sipped on his coffee.

“Why?” she asked, “is there a problem?”

“Not that I am aware of, I just thought you might have been traveling together when we found you, is all.” Mason appeared as if the question didn’t matter.

“Is there something you’re not telling me?” Asked Raven. She looked at him from the corner of her eye.

“Maybe.”

“You’re a careful man,” spoke Raven who was now looking out too were he was scanning the horizon.

“I try to be,” answered Mason. He handed her the empty cup and thanked her.

Raven accepted the cup and placed it back on the thermos.
    “I’ll leave this here for you, you might want so later.” Raven placed the coffee down in the soft sand by Mason’s feet.

“Thanks, I am sure I will.”

“Don’t forget to get me when it my turn at watch, you look like you could use some rest.”

Mason was surprised that she offered to take watch but he knew that he also need some sleep.

“And don’t think that just because I am a women that I can’t pull my own weight.” She looked at him waiting for him to say the wrong word.

Mason knew that if he denied her guard duty, that he would look like he didn’t trust her but he also knew, it was a test to see what he thought of a women standing watch. Her eyes narrowed on him waiting for his answer, with a look that told Mason, it better he the right answer.

Mason tried to hide a smile badly. Not that he didn’t believe a woman could stand watch but just because of the fearsome look she gave him and the furry she might unleash on his hide if he answered wrongly.

“I would never thing that of you, and I will tell Cambie. I think he has watch after me, so he will get you up.”

Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  11. Nizati

Nizati ShadowDagger

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    The wait didn’t last as long as she thought. Mason was the first to talk. “No need Fen you are welcome to travel with me as long as you would like, as for the other I can not say.” Really? He was willing to take her with him? Even after north fort?? It sounded almost too good to be true. She couldn’t help but smile.

“Do you mean it?”

At that, Mason gave a nod and a smart wink like he did the first time they met. “ As for training well, I would teach you any that I can, But you have some talents that I don’t possess.” Was he kidding? That’s all she ever wanted!!!! Mason seemed about to say something else when Cambei spoke up with a calm smile.

"Your teacher is never your owner. I can teach you what I know, but it will take time, and there is no need for any type of servitude to me, it is my duty to pass on the way of my temple to others." Fen couldn’t believe what she was hearing. They were both willing to teach her… for free!

“Oh, thank you Cambei! Thank you Mason!!” Fen could feel herself quickly filling joy, and a small bit of guilt for not giving anything in return, when Mason spoke again, his face a bit more serious this time.

“Fen. can I ask you something that I should have before?”

“Sure.”

“Where are your parents? And are they still alive?” Whoa… that one caught Fen offguard. Then again, he DID disserve an honest answer… even though it wasn’t a long one.

“I… I don’t really know.” Fen struggled with her oldest memories, hoping to yield up a kind face for an answer… but, of course, nothing came. “I can’t remember my parents… the first thing I DO remember are the Labs…” oops! Said too much. He asked about parents, not powers. In either case, the Labs were a subject she didn’t want to talk about in front of everyone… specially the farmers and that Rapture lady: Fen had learned the hard way that its better to keep the mouth shut on some things. So, she put on a big smile and went back on subject. “I’m sorry I can’t tell you more about my parents, but I bet they were nice people! Hey, just look at me: I turned out ok! So, at least on a genetic level they can’t be bad.” Fen could see that Mason had a few more questions, so she quickly decided to act like she had a short attention span and with a smile, went to Fugg.

Well, two out of three… it wouldn’t hurt to try… would it? With that, she tugged on Fugg’s sleeve. “And you, how did you made fire in the town, and..and that light on the desert, will you teach me how to do that??...to fight??”

Fugg, not showing much of a smile (and it was nearly impossible to tell what he was thinking behind those glasses of his), but at least he answered almost immediately. “You need magical relics to learn elemental magic, but don’t worry, when we get to the next town I’ll get you some.” Relics? Like the one in the farmer’s basement?? So… he wasn’t dragged to the labs then… oh well. Learning anything about any kind of power might help Fen with her own. Wait, where did Fugg go? Fen saw the big guy walk out the front door, where he turned and looked back to her. “Do you still want to learn a few moves or not?” It was the last straw. Fen couldn’t hold in her joy anymore.

“YAY!!!!” She bounded out the door with him, and straight into her first lesson…
    Dodge here, maneuver there, getting the weapon out of the opponent’s hand. Wow. Fen made sure she hung onto every word and every movement. She understood that what he told her may be the difference of life and death someday. Ok… some moves she did already know (due to painful trial and error) but that didn’t mean that she would complain if they were taught to her again… it just made her look like she picked up on the maneuver more quickly, that’s all. After a few solid hours of training, Fugg stopped the lesson and told Fen she should get her rest for tomorrow… totally implying that this was going to be the first of many. Fen, still filled with hyperactive adrenaline, said she would just practice for a little longer by herself….

After a few more hours of practicing what she was taught on invisible enemies, Fen realized that the sun was already gone, leaving a pretty display of pink in the sky, and most of the lights in the farmhouse were going out. Fen’s body was tired, and every muscle seemed to ache, yet Fen’s mind was still racing with the wonderful events of the day. Food… playing with Henry… more food… the promise that she may never have to look for a ride again… the promise of being taught how to fight by the three strongest guys Fen has ever met… and then HAVING one of those lessons. How could she not be overfilled with joy? Fen looked around… she could see the silhouette of someone in the distance. Probably Mason, on guard duty. Oh heck, she would never sleep unless Fen did something to pour out her feelings. So, hoping no one was listening, she started to sing.

The song was very common amongst children… rich or poor. The first part was upbeat and playful, the final verse being pretty and a bit sad… it was Fen’s favorite song.

There was a birdie on the sand
    I asked him whose king of his land?
    He told that me he had no king
    ‘Cept for the wind under his wings.

I asked him where his allegiance lie
    To whom would he live or die?
    He told me death? he did not care
    ‘Cus he was free to fly anywhere.

So then…
    Take my heart…
    Fly it to…
    The sky apart…
    So when…
    I go and dream…
    I won’t have to die for kings.

There. Now she could sleep. As Fen tiredly walked toward her room, she tried to think of how this day could have been more perfect. Unfortunately, an answer came too quickly for its own good. Kabora. If he came here, and told everyone that the bugs were all gone, and that he would keep traveling with them. Then… then the day would be absolutely perfect. Either way… it was the best day Fen ever had. And, if she was lucky, there would more days like this one ahead. With those final thoughts, Fen finally made it to her room, collapsed onto her bed, and fell asleep before she could even take off her shoes.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  12. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    As Cambei Fugg and Mason walked to the barn the big man mentioned something especially interesting. It seemed the people at north fort were gathering weapons for some type of war. There was a warlord in the east who'd made a killing selling his relics for ammunition. This would be something that would have dire effects on the entire world. He even compared it to the great war. Had Cambei been there? He didn't think so. Maybe that was one of the few things people talked about that he hadn't been alive for. Although he couldn't quite remember, maybe he'd been at the temple. Either way he needed some sleep...

It didn't seem long after he'd gone to sleep Mason said it was his turn to take watch, and to get Raven to take third watch. It seemed awefully early in their aquantancship for them to be making her take watch, but it didn't matter to Cambei. He went outside and it wasn't long before he realised, watch was boring. Luckily, he still had that ball Fen had given him.

He pulled out the ball and rested it in his palm arm's length from him. He began to spin his hand and move his arm, performing one of his many forms, shifting it from palm to palm. It spent about as much time upside down as it did right side up. Still, the ball always reacted as he planned for it too. This was the beauty of his training. He had total control of his body and motion, and he had managed to become perfectly fluid.

Before he knew it it was time to change the watch. He knew the women from their party would be sleeping in the upstairs of the house. However he wasn't sure as to just where. So he took a look at the house, then began to run, and jumped. He seemed to float like a feather through the air and touched down as softly as if he'd only taken a normal step. Carefrully and quietly he looked through the windows until he found Raven's. He tapped on the glass just loud enough to wake her without disturbing anyone else.He motioned that it was her watch and jumped down from the roof landing on the ground just as he had the roof. He then made his way back to the barn for some rest.

13. Luther_the_Great

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    "Help me! Help me! Please!" a strange voice called out in the distance.

"Mommy!? Mommy where are you???"

Fen awoke the next morning in tears. Wouldn't those dreams leave her alone. She would often hear that kindly voice shouting for help in the darkness. Fen always thought it was her mother. Every time she heard that voice she always felt empty and alone. She wished she did have a mother, but life had ruled otherwise.

"Get ahold of yourself Fen" she told herself. Being a child on the run, alone in a cruel world had taught her that only the strong survived.

She made her way downstairs and found that everyone was already awake and moving about. In fact, they had already enjoyed a heafty breakfeast, which Martha had been kind enough to hold over for her. She had instructed the others that Fen was not to be woken until she was good and ready to get up, under pain of hunger (which was enough to make any of the company quail).

"Have a nice rest deary?" She asked in a loving manner.

"Yes thank you" Fen replied, trying not to think of her dreams. Why couldn't this woman have been her mother. She would trade all of her powers and adventures to have a real family.

"Now you eat up child, you hear? I'm not about to let anyone leave my house lookin about half starved." To this, Fen happily obliged.

Out side the farmer had his head under the hood of Mason’s rover. Mason was standing right beside him making sure the security system didn’t blow him up.

“I’m not sure how far this patchwork will gitcha, hopeferly to within walkin distance from Daitly at least. Now listen close sonny because there’s some things you need to know. Daitly’s more civilized than a load’a places round here, but it ain’t heaven by no means. Now you folks get yet selves in by sun down ya hear? Aint not tellin what would happen to a feller who was caught outside that place after dark. There’s bandits and wild folk and worse than that about at night. Also, I don’t reckon you want to loose all this fine equipment, alluding to the rover, weapons, and ammo. So ya best avoid the main entryway. Vardel’s thugs spy out any outlandish folk as come into down in small numbers. I ain’t been up there this month, so things might be good or things might be bad when you get there. I’ve seen all kinds of things in that town. You also be mindful of the weather, this here’s the start of the rainy season, though seeing this desert you wouldn’t think we got no rain.”

After a good deal more warning and advice, he told Mason where to find a less watched entrance to the city. “That’s the way people takes valuables in that they’ve a mind to keep hold of.”

It was probably mid morning before the group set out. Martha had given them enough food for lunch and dinner with some to spare (to Fen she had given a secret stash of cookies which he hid away in her pockets.)
    So, after waving good bye to the family, they set off. Mason could tell what the farmer meant by “I’m not sure how far this patchwork will gitcha”, the rover was handling as if it were some strange mix of desert speeder and farm tractor. Still, it was running and that was more than it would have been without his help.

Needless to say it was a long bumpy road. The trip was without event or problem. They only made one short stop and that was for lunch. The sun was getting low in the sky when Daitly came into sight. It was a large town with a high wall all the war around it. Immediately Mason noted that things were not as rosy as he would like them. The farmer had mentioned that anything outside of the walls looked deserted as the sun got low, but now Mason could see much activity at the front gate. In fact, there was a long line of vehicles and carts waiting to get in. Mason was glad he wasn’t going that way.

He looked for the road that he had to turn off on. He found it easily enough. The road looked very rough at first and the company received a good bit of bumping and jolting before it smoothed out again. They reached the smaller entry way just as the sun went down but found, to their dismay, two large men baring the way.

“What is all this? A ram shackled rover that looks like the dust is the only thing holding it together and some retard on a motorcycle. The whole lot oyez look like beggars.”

“And who would you be? I’ve been here before but I’ve never met any trouble with such bumbling insolent guards” Mason replied.

“Oh so he’s got an attitude has he? Lets straighten him out” said the other guard.

Before they could move they had five guns pointed in their faces. “Yes straighten us out. I would love to see you try” mocked Raven.

This was too much for the guards, they normally didn’t guard this way. If this lot had come to the front gate they would have been many more of them and they might have challenged Mason and his group. But as it was, they let them go with “Go ahead, but straighten up or you’ll see something alright.”

The group went on, Fugg nodded his head and grunted as he rode by.

Mason wondered why there were any guards there at all. Normally that place was just left open, sometimes even after dark.

The group arrived at an inn and sat down for their dinner. There they over heard two people talking in hushed voices. “Take a load of that bunch. I’m surprised they let them in. Times are bad enough without vandals and outlaws being let in.”

“Yeah, I thought they would be on the look out for suspicious characters since the assault on the governor the other night. How do you recken someone was able to break in to that mansion of his and do him like that.”
    “Darn if I know, they say whoever it was broke in without a sound, got into his room, and cut of his very fingers without even waking up his wife. Then think one of the guards might have done it, they have the whole lot of them in jail for interrogation.”

“They say there’s an odd looking foreigner they have locked up in there too. They caught him staggering into the city all in black.”

“That’s the first time I heard it. But don’t you think its funny that someone was able to nip off his pointer and his middle without him even being able to say what the man who done it looked like? You’d almost think he was trying to cover something up, which is like as not.”

“To be sure, yet I hear he’s out and about again. They got him patched up and he’s back to his usually “pleasant” self.”

“Shhh. It don’t do to go talking like that. He’ll get word of it, and he’s in a terrible temper now that he’s back on his feet.”

Then the people paid their tab and walked out together. How on earth was the company going to do what they needed to do in a place like this?

14. Darth Qui-gon

Darth Qui-gon Man its good to be back

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Mason and his group was sitting at the table when Mason overheard to guys talking at the bar. they were talking about the baron getting his fingers cut off and it kinda made laugh, but then he heard something that caught is attention.

“They say there’s an odd looking foreigner they have locked up in there too. They caught him staggering into the city all in black.” Mason took a little bit to proccess what he just heard, Could have Kabora actually be here in town? Then he looked around at everyone.

"Did you guys hear that?" Mason asked. The group looked around and looked at each other with looks of confusion.

"Those two guys at the bar just said that the guards here locked up a foreigner dressed in black that staggering into town" you could see everyone try to proccess what they have just heard. Then the first to speak was Fen with a wide eyed look of excitement.

"Do you think that its Kabora?" Everyone sat there with a thinking sort of look on there face.

"I dont know but i guess it wouldnt hurt to go find out after we finish our dinner" Mason said. you can kinda tell the everyone kinda eating faster than normal trying to figure out if it is in fact Kabora and what happened for him to be locked up. The group finished there dinner and started to walk towards the door. Again everyone staring and talking about them. It didnt seem to bother anyone. They walked out side and Mason sort of stoped and looked around.

"Now if i remember correctly the jail house is that way(and pointed down the street to the right)" Mason lead the way and they came across the jail house.

" Ahh yes, there it is" The group enter the jail house and the guard stood up and said

" Well well if it isnt Mason Coal. It been awhile since you been in town. What can i do ya for?" Fugg looked a little confused and asked Mason sort of in a soft voice

" You know this Man?" Mason looked back at Fugg

" Yeah kinda, I sold him the gun on his side ( then he looks back at the guard) Yeah i would like to know if i could see one of your inmates here?"

" Well visiting hours just closed, but i dont think it would bother none to talk for a little bit, but you wont have much time. Now which one would you like to see, we have a lot here so if you could discribe him?"

" Yeah sure we dont need much time, I over heard someone in the Inn that you guys had a foreigner dressed in black." Mason replied

" Oh yeah him, he looked pretty banged up when he got here we locked him up sometime late last night, he was at the Inn looked like he was looking for someone. Then we were told to arrest him for the assault on the baron. Here follow me I'll take you to him, but like i said you wont have much time."

" Thank you" Mason said. Fen now is having a hard time keeping still. They rounded a corner and the guard said

"He is the last one on the left, I'll come back when you have to go." Mason nodded as to say thanks and the group started walkin down the hall. As they got closer the figure spoke.

" Well ( the figure removed the hood to reveal that it was Kabora) Mason its about time. What did you decide to sleep in this morning?" The group looked amazed and happy at the same time

" So you didnt kill yourself" Fen said with a happy look on her face, Kabora laughed and said

" Far from it kid."

" So how did you manage to get your self in here?" Mason asked

" Well you see I came into town, and went to the Inn cause i figured thats where you would be. Then guards grabbed me and said your under arrest for the attacking someone, I don't know who. They said i matched the discription of the attacker. So now here i am" Kabora replied

" What was the discription" asked Fugg.

" A guy dressed in black" Kabora said with a laugh. The group laughed as well.

" So how about getting me outta here?"

15. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Almost as if on cue the door sprung open and all eyes fell to Cambei who had a satisfyed grin on his face. The guard was about to say something but he stopped short. Something about how easily and quietly the monk had picked the lock made him figure there wasn't going to be a cell that could hold him. And he also didn't need to just yet, as Cambei shut the door just as quickly as he had opened it.

"When is his trial?" Cambei asked. The guard thought for a second then shrugged, "Tomorrow I think. Why does it matter?" "Well a man's attourney should know when the court date is set." This also struck the group as odd, seeing as how Cambei and Kabora had scarcely spoken, if at all while the group had been together. But no one questioned it, judging by his face the monk had some type of plan for getting Kabora out.

"Now everyone run along, me and my client must speak in private," everyone left in an awekward silence as Cambei opened the door and entered Kabora's cell. "Not much of a lock they have on this thing, odds are that's true on the rest of them in the city. So if worst comes to worst I can get you loose and the others can catch up to us in the desert. But it shouldn't come to us, I know a thing or two about persuading people to see things my way..."

16. Nizati

Nizati ShadowDagger

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    "Help me! Help me! Please!" a voice called out in the distance.
    "Mommy!? Mommy! where are you???" Searching… lost… so alone…
    As Fen awoke could feel the tiny puddle of tears on her pillow. She remembered hearing that voice before. Kind… yet… sad… so very sad. Maybe it was a memory. Like, of her mother… maybe she was in trouble when the labs took Fen away… It was possible. "Get ahold of yourself Fen." She told herself, rapping her gloved knuckles against the sides of her temples. A bad dream is still a bad dream… and bad dreams meant she was still in trouble. It was a dirty illusion to think she could stay at the farm and have perfect days forever… but… at least she could have breakfast.

As she went down the stairs, she found everyone (impatiently) waiting for her to come down so breakfast could start. Did she oversleep that long? Ah… who cares… BREAKFAST!!!! Between helpings and all, Fen made sure to be polite to the woman who had given her so much. Afterwards, it was pack up, and go time. Well… pack up for everyone else that is, since Fen carried everything she owned in her pockets (which were now filled with cookies thanks to the nice farm lady). With everyone getting ready to go, Fen decided to leave a little present of her own for the family: a small quickly-made dinner set of plates and cups… all made of glass, of course. As she got in the rover, she took one last look at the farmhouse and the wonderful family, who were waving goodbye. Yup…. Fen thought. This is a place I’ll never, never forget.

Yet again, they were on the move. The bumpy trip seemed long and last forever, but Fen didn’t complain… it was better then being attacked by bugs. On more then one occasion, Fen tried to make conversation… especially with the Rapture woman she knew so little about… Fen was quick to find that Rapture was less of a talker then any of the men were. Most questions were given one-worded answers, or were ignored… and even small talk didn’t seem to interest her. (Although small talk usually got everyone else talking about something or other… like the weather or making funny guesses of what kind of creature lived under the rover’s hood). But, at one point Fen seemed to have said something too much. She asked what kind of suit Rapture was wearing under her cloths. She saw a small flash of it under the woman’s normal sleeve. It seemed like an undershirt.. but.. It… it looked kind of odd somehow. Especially since it seemed very clean for everyone being out on a dirt road in a dirty rover (as Raven had mentioned plenty of times). Rapture said nothing, but gave Fen one of the dirtiest scowls she had seen in a long time… Fen stayed quiet after that.

There was a break for lunch and after the meal, and Fen once again asked one of the men to teach her something. This time, Cambei stepped forward. Most of the things he taught her seemed very slow… trying to keep an open mind of everything that is happening around her… Learning certain moves in slow motion, so that when it was done fast, it would be perfect… and finding pressure points. The pressure points part was fun… but a bit confusing. Fen did her best to listen to every word and when it was time to be on the move again, she forced herself to mentally go over everything Cambei said and done, so she wouldn’t forget it for next time.

Finally, with the sun setting once again, they made it to Daitly. Mason took the rover to a back way where they were met with a bunch of guards. “What is all this? A ram shackled rover that looks like the dust is the only thing holding it together and some retard on a motorcycle. The whole lot oyez look like beggars.”

“And who would you be? I’ve been here before but I’ve never met any trouble with such bumbling insolent guards” Mason replied.

“Oh so he’s got an attitude has he? Lets straighten him out” said the other guard.

Click ,Click ,Click ,Click, Click. The poor guards didn’t have time to move before they had five guns aimed at their heads. “Yes straighten us out. I would love to see you try” mocked Raven. Fen, the only one not holding a gun, did her best to stifle her giggles at the surprised guards. Fen finally understood the saying: it was nice to have powerful friends. “Go ahead, but straighten up or you’ll see something alright.” The guards said as the group motored by. Fen made sure to smile and wave at the guards, just rub the situation into their faces.

At a local inn, the group sat down and was starting to have their dinner. There were lots of people staring and whispering. Fen made sure not to give them any eye contact, but against her better judgment, she couldn’t help listening on the conversations:

“Yeah, I thought they would be on the look out for suspicious characters since the assault on the governor the other night. How do you reckon someone was able to break in to that mansion of his and do him like that.” !!! Fen’s eyes went wide with realization. Were they talking about the water baron? No… it can’t be… “Darn if I know, they say whoever it was broke in without a sound, got into his room, and cut of his very fingers without even waking up his wife.” They were! Fen felt herself go rigid. Her stomach squirming as if her food was laced with maggots. Fen remembered back to that horrible dream. The man in the shadows… the fat baron “But don’t you think its funny that someone was able to nip off his pointer and his middle without him even being able to say what the man who done it looked like?” It.. it was because… he… he… cut off his own fingers… Somehow the man in the shadows made him cut off his own fingers. No… no… no… This can’t be happening. Her dreams were from her imagination and her bad memories. Nothing more. They told when bad things were about to happen. Nothing more. This can’t be happening! The other men talked on for a little while longer, and then left but Fen didn’t hear anything else. It didn’t happen…. She didn’t see it… it didn’t happen… she didn’t see it. Fen could feel her hands burn with power… so much so that the symbols on her gloves glowed brighter then candlelight and the firy pain was starting to crawl up her arm. By now, most noticed that something was up.

“Fen… what’s wrong?” One of them asked… it was a final straw…

“It DID happen!” Fen whispered out loud. It was only then did she see the look of everyone’s face staring with concern. This was not the time or place to worry about dreams… no matter how scary the situation seemed. So, she just sat quietly, not eating another thing as the others turned their discussion to whether or not it was Kabora they heard about… more likely then not, it was… so, after everyone else ate, they left for the jail where they were pleasantly surprised that their suspicions were correct… only to have another problem… he was in jail… well… at least he wasn’t dead. And that was enough to put a smile on Fen’s face.

17. LadyRaven

LadyRaven Sanzo's girl

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Raven was hating this town more and more. First was their little incedent at the gate, then the conversation in the tavern and the tought of her would-be rescuer behind bars Beyond all of this there was a lurking feeling deep with in her gut about wather or not someone from her past would reconized her or not.

Inside of the tavern she could see that something about the conversation scared the little girl Fen, “Fen… what’s wrong?” she asked her.

“It DID happen!” Fen whispered out loud.

Raven couldn't help but feel for the little girl, she knew what it was like to be on her own and have no family to take care of or even protect her. A part of she wanted to speak with Fen about thier pasts but that would have to wait for a later time. Right now all she could think about was weather or not the man in Jail was their friend Kabor or not.
    Once they were inside of the jail everyone was supried to see that it was indeed Kabora that was being held for the attack agenst the governor." So how about getting me outta here?" he asked Mason.

'How are we going to manage to get him out if his accused of that attack?' she thought to herself, "I'm sure that we can get something figured out soon enough! Hang in there, alright" Raven spoke softly to Kabora before the jailer came back in and told them they needed to leave.

As they were making their way out of the jail, Raven was both overjoyed and sadden to see the would be rescuer alive but behind bars. Stepping up next to Mason "I think I know of a way to get him out of there nice a quiet and no one would be the wizer if things don't go well tomarrow!" she spoke in a hushed voice.

"I could just pick the lock and slip right in thereand get him" Cambei replied sudenly as he cought up with the group.

"No that would be to obvious even though that is one way of going about it" Raven explained softly to him, "Expecialy since I have this" she pointed out. reaching deeply into her pocket she pulled out an odd looking silver key.

"How did you come by this?" Mason asked giving Raven a deeply conserned look "Who did you steel that from?" he asked knowing what the key was. he had seen the men who were incharge of his training as a child.

Snapping her hand closed "Thats not what inportant here. What is inportant is the fact that I can open any door with this" she snaped back. Taking in a deep calming breath "My appoligise Mason, I did not mean to speek to you as such! I do have a plann on how to get him out and no one will even know that he had excaped." she explained

"How?" Mason asked sounding a bit anoyed at the way Raven had spoken to him "What is you plan?"

Raven looked around inorder to see if anyone was listening, "Weather or not this is considered, I know how to get in there nd get him out with out anyone seeing a thing" she replied. She could see that everyone was giving her a mixture of confused looks "A fire! If some one could brake into his cell place a body with the same style of clothing as his making it look like he was murdered. Then start a fire that would char the body. No one will even realize that the body in the cell is not our friends and think he was killed!"

"That sounds a little complicated, Raven" Fugg replied.

"Yes... But none would question a holy man who is on his way to give the condemed his last rights! Expecialy if the trial goes as badly as I am thinking its going to go tomarrow" Raven replied looking over to the monk. "Think you can pull it off?" she asked him with a smirk.

18. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    This was a good plan. It covered all the angles, and it got Kabora out in a relatively simple way. No one would notice him slipping out in the commotion from the fire, and the door would open much more easily with the key than with conventional picks. But how would they get someone in without the cops catching on? Raven had this covered as well.

"Yes... But none would question a holy man who is on his way to give the condemed his last rights! Expecialy if the trial goes as badly as I am thinking its going to go tomarrow" Raven replied looking over to the monk. "Think you can pull it off?" she asked him with a smirk.

Cambei was really unfamiliar with this process, but it seemed like it would work, so Cambei nodded returning the grin. Normally it would be a problem to sneak that extra body in, but Cambei figured Raven had a way around that too. Maybe a group of people to assist him in delivering these "last rights?" Oh well, he wouldn't worry himself too much, she obviously had a few tricks up her sleeve.

19. Luther_the_Great

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Well they all certainly had a lot to think about. They were in a large, unfriendly town (though it was a heck of a lot better than Hell's Kitchen by a long way) in the middle of the desert. They had little to know actual money, and trading was not an accepted practice in most of the city. Though you could pawn items or sell them if you knew where to go. Then there was the slight problem that the rover was not going to take them anywhere but to their deaths in it's current condition. It would have to be repared. They were all very conspicous looking too, and that was a problem with so many unfriendly eyes about. And on top of it all, Kabora was stuck in jail. Of course he could always disapear out of there in a heart beat, but the fact remained that he was just recovering from his bug escapade and now that the gaurds saw the others were with him, that would be dangerous. They would think the company rescued him and they would have to leave town, which in their condition would be fatal. They had nowhere to go for now. Whatever they did, they had to remain in that town for a few days at least, if not a week. Until they could get some cash, supplies, and repairs, they were stuck.

20. Nizati

Nizati ShadowDagger

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    After leaving the jail, everyone started making a plan to bust Kabora out when he loses the trial. Something about starting a fire and switching Kabora’s body for another. Heck… there were so many ways they could bust Kabora out, it wasn’t even funny. Even Fen by herself could probably get him out: anyone on the street could pick a lock… and if she couldn’t get in to pick at the bars, it would be easy enough for her to make the cell wall disappear. The good thing about the others’ plan is that there wouldn’t be a big search filled with mercs looking for them afterwards. And although she didn’t like the idea of dragging around a dead body for the switch, Fen knew that no one would have to murder someone for the deed… no… if they all searched the right allies, they were sure to find someone who got quietly killed off by one of the many powerhouses of the city… it was a sad truth, but that is just the way it has always been.

So… overall, Fen didn’t worry much about Kabora’s break out. She knew it would be done, and done right. So, while the others found a good quiet place to talk, she sat down outside, crushing the few remaining cookies from her pockets, feeding it to a quickly growing flock of pidgins, and wrestled quietly in her mind with the problem that concerned Fen more… her dream. Fen had decided that, for whatever reason, she did indeed witness what happened to the water baron. She saw something that was really happening the same time she was dreaming. But… how? And… why now? She had always relied on her dreams as a way to tell her when the mercs were close. But, those dreams usually filled with that horrible time in the Labs. Once in a while, she would hear that sad voice… but she was pretty sure that it was the voice of her mother before Fen was taken away. But… that dream… it was so real… and that dark man. Was he the reason she saw the crime? No… Fen knew she was missing something… but what? Gah…. Wait… If she dreamed about what was happening happened somewhere else… could that mean that the dream voice was also somewhere else? That… it was her mom? Maybe.. in trouble?… no… No.. NO! It doesn’t help to think of what ifs. Fen thought, as a pigeon which landed on her shoulder took flight. Maybe… maybe it had something to do with relics? The dark man wanted an old something from the baron… and… good relics were made from the ancients… right? But what did that had to do with her?… it’s no use. With that and the last few crumbs, Fen finally made up her mind. Whatever happened, it’s done now. They were doing the best they could do for Kabora and that was good enough. Telling the others about her dreams would only make them laugh or worry that she had gone crazy. Both reactions wouldn’t help anyone in the least. So, as long as her nightmares stayed with Sad Voices and Labs, Fen would not tell the others about her dreams. There. With that settled, Fen decided to just watch the birds they flew away, one by one, maybe sing a bit to kill time, and wait for the others to put their plan into action.

Search tags for this page

how to use sedril leaf for protection

sedril leave to protect