RPG # 15 - Reborn

Discussion in 'RPG #15 - The Artifact Of Kiri-Jolith' started by daraja, Sep 1, 2006.

1. daraja

daraja Ghost

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    "Nice try you-" the mage managed to say before Lunalathhit him with her blue demon staff. It was sharp from the other end, so she had used it like a sword. He threw up his sword in time to block a secound flurry of slashes and thrusts, before he returned his own counter attack. Faulkorn quickly threw back his sword and upset an entire shelf full of magical artifacts, throwing them about the room. Lunalath yelled of pain when a holy symbol of Paladine hit her to the cheeck, leaving a silvery scrape to her skin.. It felt like it had burned to the bone, but Luna was too berzerk to care that much.
    With Dyami at her side she knew they could tear this mage down. Though somewhere in the back of her mind, she realized that after that, she would have to deal with Dyami too..

"I gave you a chance dark elf, your attempts to summon your lover are futile, and for your folly I will slay you and find a way to banish his soul forever," Faulkorn threaded and charged forward and locked blades with Lunalith, both fighters attempted to out-push the other. The draconian was a mage, and therefor not as strong as most fighters, but then again, he didn't have to rely on weapons. Lunalathn saw a large shadowy figure rose up from behind her, but as she was about to cast a destroying spell, a turrent of ice blasted it to pieces, and another wave of ice hit Faulkorn. He lay on the floor panting, and looked around.

"I will kill you all, each and every one of you!" Faulkorn spat. "None can stand before-"
    Lunalath stepped forward and drove her staff into the mages chest, twisting it to make sure he would die. She twisted it again, strongly... just to hear Faulkorns ribbs snapping.

###

After the dark mage was killed, Aelor realized how cold the cave had turned into.. He gazed at the demon Dyami had turned into and shiwered. Though the eyes of Lunalath seemed to be blind, when the mage turned her gaze upon Aelor, just for a second, he felt that the mage saw him better than ever before, looking deep through his body and mind..
    The females started to rival against each others, Dyami circling around Lunalath, like a hunter around it's prey. Lunalath started to chant with a strong voice and Aelor saw Dyami's movement slowing down.
    ''You're parents blood is withing this staff.. It is your own blood, Dyami,'' Luna saaid to the demon. Demon screeced with voice full of fustration..

As he finally realized that he could do something else than just stand there useless, Aelor turned around and looked at the altars. There were three shining lights; white, red and black that more seemed to suck out the light than shine it. Panic rose inside him as he realized that he had no idea which god he had to pray to resurrect his dead brother.. He grabbed Dack from his sleeve and asked for his help.. He hoped they could find the artifact together.

Aelor started to look at the artifacts, one at the time. There were weapons and garments, necklesses and rings. Some were made so that one could easily see what the artifact was made for, but then there were just plain objects, like a green coat.
    He mumbled something to himself, praying to find the object. Then it was there, a small necklace in which was a maiden standing beside a grave, pulling a smiling man out from the grounds embrace.. And the most important: it had Mishakals symbol on it, the goddess who was considered good.

At that point Aelor knew for certain it had been right to go off to this journey, to raise Svartnir again.
    So he grabbed the artifact and placed it around his neck, pressing it against his own heart, hoping from the bottom of his heart that his dead brother would come back to life...

...but then, everything went wrong.

...Dyami and Lunalath still had their battle raging, Luna was trying to prizon the demon with the power of her staff and Dyami threw all her ice spell on Luna's protection shields. One thick shard flew threw the air and hit Aelor's back, and flew out from his stomack.
    Everything went dark as he hit the ground..

...Svartnir was being reanimated back from the dead, almost alive and not dead anymore. He craved for life again. He was different from other elves that way.. He didn't fear disturbing the dead. He wanted to live. He had even refused to go on from Limbo to afterlife because he was sure that his fiancee Lunalath would save him from death. His heart felt joy as he saw that it was his brother Aelor who held the sacred artifact in his neck.. and his heart felt terror as he saw Aelor falling to the ground...

...There was a silver compass in the red altar, made for travellers so they could always find home. It would take them there directly, all they needed to say, was:
    ''Home''. And that was exactly what Dack whispered as he held the compass in his hands.
    He couldn't foresee the consecuenses of that action. But he realized it as the red whirl surrounded the whole group. taking them with it to another world...

###

To her realief, Lunalath saw that she had managed to imprizon the demon after all as the whirl vanished from around them. BUt to her horror, she saw Aelor and Svartnir both lying on the ground, both with only a bit of life in them. Thee resurrection of her beloved had gone terribly wrong after the whirl had come. Ther were bits of his body still missing and the moaning he left out of his throat was unstandable..
    Aelors back was broken, Luna could see it from the twisted position he was lying on, to her wonder still alive. But he was silent...around her the other members of the group started to tend to the wounded ones. Lunalath didn't even move, she just collapsed to the ground.

2. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    As Dynami and Luna clashed Dack was overcome with a feeling he hadn't had since he was a child. He felt, helpless. Theoretically he could step into the battle by unleashing his own inner beast, but if that helped at all soon enough they'd have to deal with him in that state. It was a terrible feeling, knowing that all the skills he'd acquired over the years, for the time being, were more or less useless for the time being.

Then he felt Aelor tugging at his sleeve. Dack idly gave Aelor his attention, "Dack help me, we need to find the artifacts before it's too late!" this made sense, Dack snapped out of his distracted state if mind and nodded, the two of them quickly went to work. They searched through countless artifacts, but they were having little luck. It hit them both that they had no idea what the artifacts they were searching for looked like. After studying the artifacts they went through for a moment, it became clear that the artifact's purpose would reveal itself to whomever held it. That would be useful...

Dack noticed Aelor slip on a necklace of some sort, but something else caught his own attention. At the red altar, there was a small silvery compass. Dack's eyes were drawn to it, as was his body. He picked up the item, he thought nothing of what was happening between Dynami and Luna, he thought nothing of what could happen to the others if he left, his mind was overcome with one single thought, the same thought that had been his driving force ever since he'd gotten to Krynn... "Home..."

There was a red swirl that enveloped the entire room, Dack looked around, that included everyone and everything present, including the only half formed Svartnir. Aelor collapsed, Dack heard something resembling a scream coming from all around. Before he knew it he had the same feeling he'd had when he'd been sent to the land of Krynn, but this time there was something else. It was a voice, one that he recognized, but did not know. It spoke to him in a mocking tone...

Home, back home again, but where is home Dackian Keeneyes? Is it that city that your parents were slain in? Perhaps it is the steppe lands that those that adopted you raised you on? Maybe it is the mountains your ancestors inhabited, and some still do? Or is it that castle you promised to protect when you became a true defender of the land? You have lived many places in the land Dackian Keeneyes, but where is it that you truly call home? And more importantly, how has home changed since you've been gone?

Dack woke some time later, as did the others, but what really pulled Dack's attention was what had become of the brothers Aelor and Svartnir. Every thought in his mind could be summed up with what words came from his mouth right then, "By the gods...." Aelor's body was bent in a most horrific and unnatural fashion and Svartnir's body was malformed, and not all there. Dack had seen worse problems overcome, but those had always received immediate medical attention, and the people had always been surrounded by skilled medics.

As Dack looked desperately for something to help the wounded he also surveyed the landscape, their location would determine whether or not Dack could get them some help. They were in a group of hills, all topped with numerous trees, Dack climbed to the top of one and was greeted with a somewhat unfriendly sight, the end of a several arrows, all pointed at his head. "Who are you elf, and what business do you have here in the Wylden?" asked the one who was apparently the leader of this patrol.

Dack took a deep breath, the Wylden Forest, home of the Elemental League. On the plus side Dack was in good standing with the Elementals when he'd been sent away, however it had been some time since he'd walked these forests. "My name is Dack Keeneyes, I'm a personal friend of Prophet Priest Tremelen..."

This drew some odd looks from the humans and elves clad in amethyst armor that stood before him, but it also led them to lower their weapons. The lead elf looked down at Dack, "Well master Keeneyes, your exploits are certainly the stuff of legend, and I am truly honored that it is my patrol that located you after all these years, but if you are who you say you are, then I must ask you to show me some sort of proof..."

Dack sighed, what could he show them that would confirm without any doubt that he was who he said he was. He considered Akurai, but the cursed blade wasn't likely to be recognized any more than his own face by simple vision. Then he realized, there was only one thing that could prove it was him, the mark of the Brotherhood of the Hawk. Dack pulled up his sleeve and revealed the head of the hawk that had been branded into his flesh. With a cringe the elves and humans confirmed that they believed him.

"Very well master Keeneyes, you are who you claim to be, but much has changed since you vanished those years ago. We'll call some assistance for you and your companions immediately and move you to the Valle. I will let Grand Priestess Kess explain things to you there..."

Dack's eyes widened, so it seemed Priestess Kess had finally taken the lead of the Elementals. If that was the case, that meant Tremelen was certainly dead. Dack wondered what else had passed since he left. As the numerous priestesses and rangers arrived and carefully began the process of healing in Svartnir, Aelor, Luna, and the others, as well as carefully loading those that couldn't walk onto several unicorn mounts to transport them to the grand fortress that was the Roanne Valle.

3. daraja

daraja Ghost

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    When finally the madness poured off her shoulders, Lunalath felt like she had woken up from a dream that had lasted way too long. She had only a blurry memory of everything that had happened, since..
    She remembered fighting with Dyami, who somehow had turned into a full demon. She remembered a swirl had the horrific state of the two brothers. But she couldn't believe what she had done after that.. It all seemed like a dream that she had watched form somewhere far far away...

The rangers had come when she had sat beside Svartnirs malformed body, opressing the fragments of her staff like they alone could make all things fine again. She had woken up while Dack had come face to face with the residents of this world.
    No one there to tell her to calm down, Lunalath had turned into a winter wolf and growled and attacked anyone who tried to come too near to these two bodies that used to be called Svartnir and Aelor. When she was temporalily left alone -with the seemingly corpses- she turned into herself and started to chant.
    Luna could help but to feel sick as she remembered the spell she had performed. It was against all moral laws of elves and mostly all laws on Krynn.
    She wasn't going to let them die. And this wasn't Krynn, she could feel it within.

She took a ring from her hand, and placed it on Svartnirs middle finger, chanting words. His body started to repair itself, or the ring repaired his body. It sucked life from the earth itself, leaving the ground around his body completely dead. Nothing would ever grow on that place ever again.

From dust to dust.. And from dust to life again..

The head of the blue demon staff had remained untouched and it still glimmed a fiery blue light as Dyami, now a demon tried to free herself from the demontrap.
    ''I don't know how this will effect you, my friend'', Lunalath said to the staff calmly, now certain of what she should do. ''But this I Must do. So please, please forgive me.. I shall lent you life on this soul...''
    As she chanted, Aelors body started to twist and shake like lighting had gone through it.
    As his body transformed, a smoke driftedd from the head of the staff and animated as Dyami. The Dyami she had been before the transformation.

So there were three bodies on the grass.
    One of Svartnir, lying on the dead ground, his face still as white as in death, but his heart beating strong.
    And two of half-demons, tieflings. Dyami and Svartnir, though only Dyami carried the soul of tiefling as well. And Luna new, that when Aelor would see this new state of his, he might even try to kill himself.

''We are ready to go now'', she informed to Dack and Dack alone. She felt no love nor trust to these new elves. And she watched them carefully with narrowed eyes.

Now riding on a unicorn, she sight and shaked her head. With irritation she shooked her black hair off from her face.. The trees in this world were so lovely. They seemed untouched so far...
    Black hair?
    Her hair was white, she thought to herself. She triedd to call for the might inside her, to make a simple ball of Nuitari's light. But her god didn't asnwer. Somehow, he was left in Krynn and she was in here..

A desperate cry escaped from her lips as she slowly realized that she had lost her powers in magic...

4. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Dack watched Luna as she used the powers of the ring on Svartnir. He felt to ground around Svartnir die, then looked at the rangers, they weren't going to like that. He heard the elementals whispering, the phrase "sect elf" came up, instantly Dack's sword was out, "Call her that again and I swear on all the gods of all the races of all the land Paragon himself couldn't spare you my wrath," he said.

It was a load of talk, Dack knew better than to assume these elves and men were the only ones within earshot, this was the Wylden after all. Still, it got the message across. Dack didn't quest alongside those loyal to the dark crusade, that was a well known fact, and currently, after that display, it was that reputation and that reputation alone that was going to keep the others alive in this place.

Finally Luna spoke, ''We are ready to go now.'' It was clear she didn't trust the elementals that were present, Dack couldn't blame her, he'd been about the same when he'd wound up on Krynn. Still, she seemed to trust Dack enough to ride the unicorn offered to her back to the massive fortress of the Roanne Valle. As they rode Dack wondered what the hell they were going to do to put the others back where they belonged, suddenly Luna let out a terrible scream, halting the entire group.

Dack hopped off the back of his unicorn and dashed to her side, "What is it? What's wrong?" She was in hysterics, and Dack had no idea what to do, the rangers looked back at him. Dack ignored it, focusing on Luna, "Luna please, I can't help you if I don't know what's wrong..."

Luna seemed to regain control of herself, but still she said nothing to him. Dack backed away, unsure if she'd gotten over it, or if she simply refused to let the strangers all around them see her in such a state. Either was possible, Dack had never met a woman as strong willed as Luna, save maybe Dynami. They continued to the Valle in an awkward silence, Dack looking over to the others every now and then to see how they were holding up, well enough he supposed....

In time they made it to the Roanne Valle, one of the largest fortresses in the land. Dack had only been within the colossal castle a few times, but even now it seemed the same as it had been. The castle was bustling with activity, from warriors to civilians of all races. From massive red skinned trolls, to the tiny delicate faeries, seeing all of this brought a smile to Dack's face, he was really home...

He and the others were led to several guest rooms where the priestesses of the guild could check on the wounded and gradually heal them, although Luna had taken care of a lot of that when they'd arrived. Dack received word that High Priestess Kess would see him in a few days, and that one of the others would be allowed to accompany him. Dack knew without a second thought that he'd want Luna to be the one to accompany him, but he wasn't sure how she'd react, hell, he still didn't know what was wrong with her.

He decided there was only one way to find out, he went to hers and Svartnir's room and knocked on the door, "Luna, it's Dack, we need to talk... can I come in?"

5. daraja

daraja Ghost

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    The wonders of the castle would have taken breath away from most wonderers of Krynn, but all the bustle and hustle just made Luna mad. She sat on her mount as cold and careless as ever. But within she was nervous and felt uneasy.
    She no longer could call up for Nuitari. What ever was left of her powers had vanished when she resurrected the two brothers and relieced Dyami.. Now she felt like she could not help herself. Nor protect the loved ones around her. The three ones, Aelor, Dyami and Svartnir were all still in bad shape. Dyami had woken from time to time, but the transformation had sucked all her energy.
    Lunalath worried for them all, for she cared about all of them. The bond between her and Dyami had tought her a lot about this mysterious being and she respected her. She made sure all of them got a nice room were they were taken care of. Svartnir she took in her room saying that he was her husband, even though that wasn't exactly true. Somehow she felt that these people knew she was lying.

All this time she had hid her head within her cloaks hood, hiding her hair from sight. The snow white hair that used to frame her face had now turned black like a crows feathers. Her white hair was a mark of Nuitari's favour:
    ''You shall carry the moonlight of mine that never shines within your locks..''
    It was her mark!
    The memories of her childhood poured in her mind as she remembered how her brother, Kelevendros, had always said ''you are the crow, so why wont you fly?'' Once she had flown. Her father had beaten her until she could no longer stand. They were from a poor family, only the high standard elves were allowed to study the art. It didn't matter that she had it in her blood and heart, that she didn't need books to learn skills. All she needed to do was to listen to her God.. If they had found out that her god was a dark one, they would have banished her. But she beat them first and ran away with Kel...

She closed the curtains of the room, because she felt safer in the darkness. And Svartnir seemed quite hot, he must have had fever. The darkness was cooler. Her own blood was still rather cold, the bond hadn't been broken between her and Dyami, so she used her own body to cool Svartnirs. The darkness took her within and she fell asleep...

...and woke up to a knock on her door. The black dress they had given to her, after all her other garments were basicly rags 'cause of all the fighting, was stuck on her back. Cold sweat run on her forehead. She had seen a bad dream, but couldn't quite recall it... about a wolf.. The knock was repeated.
    "Luna, it's Dack, we need to talk... can I come in?"

''Y- yes, just a second'', she said and looked into the mirror whether the sad thoughts of hers were visible on her face aswell. For a second she thought she saw a pair of animal eyes looking back, but then the vision was over and it was just her and her own eyes. She looked tired but fine otherwise. ''Come in Dack..'' Lunalath said and sait on a chair next to Svartnirs bed. She held him from the hand.
    Her hair, now black, were partially pulled back from her face. The contarst between them and her white skin, that almost had a blue tone in it, was harsh, making her look even more colder than before.

Dack came inside the room and quietly closed the door. Pulling a chair to himself he sat beside Lunalath and told her about some High Priestes Kess wanting to meat them all.
    ''I'm not sure whether Svartnir is strong enough to join us..'' Luna said slowly, like trying to find the right words, though Dack could hear that Luna had to stop between words to encourage herself so she would not cry. She would not cry anymore she had said to herself when she had rocked her dead son. ''..but I will come.''
    The room was still very dark, but Dack didn't ask for light, respecting Lunalath will to stay in shadow. After weeks in the desert, shadow felt so good..
    Lunalath stood up and walked to the window, Dack sitting behind her silently, knowing that she wanted to say something more.

''I'm sorry about my crash during our journey to this castle.. I realized something, you see. And I got - scared. You see.. I can no longer hear Nuitari,'' she said calmly. ''He could not follow me here. This land has other gods and they don't know me, so they can't hear me calling.''
    Luna opened the curtains and allowed the light to flow to the room. She turned to Dack and laughed: ''Basicly, my friend.. I can't even cast a spell that makes you fart without control - very favoured amongst young mages.'' She chuckled and spread her arms.
    ''I can't cast spells anymore, probaply never can. That's why, my hair is black again. As black as when I was born.''

6. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Dack entered Luna's and Svartnir's room, even in the darkness both of them looked more or less like hell. Dack hadn't noticed it before, but Luna's hair was different now, on Krynn it was as white as snow, now it was black. Dack could only guess what this meant. He told her about Kess, Luna agreed to come with him, then stood up and walked toward the window. Dack waited, it was clear there was something else she wanted to add.

'I'm sorry about my crash during our journey to this castle.. I realized something, you see. And I got - scared. You see.. I can no longer hear Nuitari,'' she said calmly. ''He could not follow me here. This land has other gods and they don't know me, so they can't hear me calling.''
    Luna opened the curtains and allowed the light to flow to the room. She turned to Dack and laughed: ''Basicly, my friend.. I can't even cast a spell that makes you fart without control - very favoured amongst young mages.'' She chuckled and spread her arms.
    ''I can't cast spells anymore, probaply never can. That's why, my hair is black again. As black as when I was born.''

Dack's mouth fell open, but he had no idea what to say. How did one console someone when they'd lost something like that? "Well...." he started, "You... seem to be handling it well...." he said in a low tone, just above a mumble. Luna's expression was a sad one, but she kept herself well composed. Dack was at a loss, he'd heard the way magic worked in the land explained once, and he could tell from what little he knew of the gods that it was much different than the way it worked back on Krynn. This gave him an idea, albeit a far fetched one.

"If you would like.... I could see about getting someone to teach you to use the magics that exist in this land... I don't know how likely it would be that you could master them, but I don't think it could hurt to try..." Luna looked to be considering it, Dack cut her off, "Think about it, we can discuss it later, for now I have a few things that need to be taken care of. We'll be able to meet High Priestess Kess a while later...." With this he left, there was a lot he needed to get arranged, rumors and the like. And of coarse, he needed to learn of any sort of legend that could help him get the others back to Krynn.

7. daraja

daraja Ghost

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    "Well...." Dack started, "You... seem to be handling it well...." he said in a low tone, just above a mumble. Luna couldn't help but to feel broken. She knew that Dack tried his best, but no words cold console her at a moment like this. All she had ever had. The thing that had made her powerful, kept her safe. Her god who had loved her, kept her as his favourite child, was now gone. Nothing could heal her wounds. Or so she thought, 'till Dack continued:

"If you would like.... I could see about getting someone to teach you to use the magics that exist in this land... I don't know how likely it would be that you could master them, but I don't think it could hurt to try...
    Think about it, we can discuss it later, for now I have a few things that need to be taken care of. We'll be able to meet High Priestess Kess a while later...." With this he left, closing the door quietly.
    Lunalath was left in the room, alone with her thoughts. Finding a new way to use the art of magic seemed tempting even though she felt like she was betraying her god Nuitari.
    Forgive me my lord.. I need to survive she thought in her mind.

A faint mumble catched her attention. She turned to Svartnir and saw his eyes wide awake. He talked in the kagonesti language... It sounded like bird talk.
    Lunalath tried to smile, but she couldn't. Instead, she started to cry a hopeless cry. Svartnir had been resurrected, but his mind was not here. It would take awhile before he would see the material world around him. Now, he was reliving things that happened in his past.

Lunalath took a deep sigh, wiped the tears and left the room. She ´locked the door and made her way towards Dyami's room. She felt like she had to talk to her, tell her that her powers were lost and what ever change had happened in the half-demon, was Luna's fault.

All this time she felt so cold inside.