RPG # 15 - Reborn

Discussion in 'RPG #15 - The Artifact Of Kiri-Jolith' started by daraja, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Lord_Croanan

Lord_Croanan King and Conquerer

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    The mountain air swept through the crags, cleaining out loose snow and rocks. A lone figure stood by an outcropping, their cloak blowing about them. He watched a small band of travelers work thier way towards the mountains, directly into his path. The figure turned to several goblins behind him.

"Trunt, take your trackers down the valley, I want to know everything about this group, armor, arms, and numbers."

Trunt, an expert tracker goblin, bowed. "Yess Ne'Arc, it shall be done as you say"
    The goblin and six others picked up thier weapons and sacks and began moving down the mountain, out of sight and down wind. Ne'Arc strode from the rocky outcropping and walked around a bend in the mountain path. There stood a clearing, with thirty or so goblins lying about, tending to camp fires and sharpening thier weapons. Ne'Arc nodded to a rather fat and scarred goblin leaning against a rock.

"Alright scum!" the goblin barked, moving from the rock and pulling out a whip. "Its time to move! Get off your lazy arses and gather the equipment!" Instantly the goblins began scurrying about, putting out fires and folding up tents. The cloaked man threw back his head and looked at his small band of robbers. He was a human, with dark short hair and a goatee. Nothing was too recognizable about his face except for several shallow scars. No, the interesting thing about him was his left arm. He always kept it uncovered, a sign to his goblins that he was boss. While his right arm was flesh, his left was that of a dragons, or at least thats what Ne'Arc that it was. It was green scaled and had long claws at the end, with only three fingers. Long ago the man had been in the service of a league of wizards, and had lost his arm in a battle. Powerful magic combined with interesting apothicary techicues had helped the wizards sew on a still living arm to Ne'Arcs. Whos it was he never found out.

Ne'Arc motionted for the slaver goblin to come over "Graug, There is a small company of travelers coming this way. I am thinking they have many valuable trinkets with them. Take the archers and position them along the crest north of here, then take the remaining twenty goblins and position them along the path, when I give the signal, charge out and slay them all."

Graug blinked his one good eye. "No prisoners my Lord?"

Ne'Arc smiled "None Graug, kill them all"

Last edited: Dec 15, 2006
  2. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Dack and the others managed to escape the ogre troop with some effort on Denathdar's part. The spell clearly took a heavy toll, and considering the amount of power he'd put into that book earlier, odds are he wasn't going to be slinging any fireballs for quite a while. Dack wasn't worried, now that he knew the ogres were gunning for them he'd be on guard, although he wasn't about to get cocky about that fact either. Eventually they stopped and began to discuss their destination.

Or at least most of them did. Nyla was surveying the area, and Dack, not knowing anything about this land, decided to stretch out and relax. That is until Nyla made an unpleasant revelation. ''The valley will take us back to the mountains. We can't go back,'' she said, ''ogres will surely follow us. Those blood thirsty creatures will surely follow us until we leave the mountains. So I suggest we keep on moving and hope that we find a way that will take us away from the mountains...''

So it was settled, they were just going to have to keep on keeping on. Dack was toward the front of the group, something in the air was unpleasant. Maybe he was just paranoid, but the valley was dead silent. Not a singing bird or skipping squirrel. He kept his hand on his sword, ready for a fight should the need arise. Then he did pick up on a sound, it was low enough that he couldn't tell where it came from, but now he was certain they were being followed.

He loosed his sword in it's scabbard, his eyes were scanning the area for any movement. Back home the ploy he believed they were using was all too common, ironically it was typically called the ogre snair. Given their numbers it would be neigh impossible to combat if it was indeed about to occur. He popped the slightest bit of Akurai's blade from the scabbard, it glowed a dull red, there was malice in the air. Dack spoke to the others in a low tone, "Step carefully, these hills have eyes."

3. daraja

daraja Ghost

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Dack spoke to the others in a low tone, "Step carefully, these hills have eyes.'' Nyla noticed the red glow in his blade. She nodded grimly to him and examined the surrounding. But she could see anything with first glance. It seemed that if there were some enemies, they were familiar with the mountains and knew how to cover themselves. The air smelled like ogres, but that was no wonder, they were all covered with those foul creature's blood. Something was up there, in the hills above them, ready to ambush them in some good place, but what could they do but be ready for it.

Again Nyla tried to aproach Aelor. Again he seemed to be asleep. She didn't even try to speak to the half-elf, he was too lost and she didn't know how to help him. It seemed he had built a stronghold for himself to protect him from something.
    Nyla went beside Dyami and said to her greafully:
    ''Please help him..'' They walked on in silent for a moment, and when Dyami was about to say something, Nyla continued:
    Can you see anything up in the hills, it seems my eyes have failed me this time.''

4. Nizati

Nizati ShadowDagger

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    As they fought Denthadar pleasantly surprised Dyami by delving deep into his mind magic skills and, as well as killing a lot of orgres, made a path for the rest. After the escape, a plan was made to try to avoid the valley, and try to go south as much as possible… although… that would prove difficult since this entire area was filled with nothing but rocky hills and valleys.

As they started to walk towards another valley, Dyami started to sense another group…. They were spying on Dyami and the others… and were starting to surround them and the valley. Just then, Dack spoke, reassuring what Dyami felt was true. "Step carefully, these hills have eyes." Nodding in agreement to Dack, Dyami concentrated as hard as she could for numbers, race, and by how they are position, their most likely intentions. Dyami had faced this enemy enough times to know what they were without even seeing them: Goblins…. And by the positions the large band had taken ahead, it was obvious that their intentions were to attack. And…… There was another who was not a Gnome… He seemed…. almost human…. But…

Just then, Nyla stepped close to Dyami, the masked assassin’s presence breaking Dyami’s concentration. ''Please help him..'' She whispered. Dyami understood that she was referring to Aelor who, unlike last night where he seemed more serious then he had in a long time, has become almost zombie-like (even in the battle against the ogres) as he stared off into nothingness…. Right now, he probably didn’t even know how much danger they were in… Or didn’t care. But…. Dyami’s way of ‘helping’... She was not very compassionate by nature, and was about to tell Nyla so when the elven assassin spoke up again. “Can you see anything up in the hills, it seems my eyes have failed me this time.''

Dyami nodded. “Goblins…” She said, almost under her breath. They needed a plan… if they walked too much further, it would be too late. Knowing approximately where the creatures were hiding, Dyami scanned the area that would be able to produce some cover… There… An area of fallen boulders and a few trees was just to the right of them.

“Denthadar.. Start complaining again…” Dyami whispered, to the red mage in front of her.

“Wha?” The red mage almost turned around at her strange request.

“We need cover, please, just do it!” She hissed at him. Although foolish at times, Dyami now understood that this was a very smart mage deeply involved with the magic of one’s mind… Hopefully, he had enough mind power left to figure out that they needed an excuse to stop at the hidden area…. With a little bit of a pause, Denthadar started wailing about how tired he was…. Almost a bit too theatrical, but it worked none the less.

Now, mostly covered by rocks and a few trees, Dyami spoke quickly, and quietly…. She could already sense some of the enemy changing positions so that they may see what the group was doing. “We are surrounded by goblins and one other I cannot identify. They are positioned in a way to effectively take us out about mid-way in this valley. We cannot stay here for long, and we cannot go back without eventually being caught between these goblins and the ogres.”

“Wonderful…” Chris said sarcastically.

“Do you have a plan?” Asked Aeleth, who could see that Dyami was already plotting something out, and trying to work out the details.

“Sort of… I can use my cloak to blend into the surrounding area and climb to the goblins on the west (right) more or less undetected. The rest of you will have to walk into the trap…. But, if you stay to the west side, I should be able to cause enough chaos that you will have little to worry about in ways of arrows or rocks. After that has started, the goblins from the east side will have to come out of hiding to attack. You will have to decide for yourselves to either go east and attack those goblins head-on or go west, scale up the valley wall, and aid me in fighting what’s left of the goblins, and use the higher ground to fight off the others.”

It was Denthadar who first spotted the first problem in Dyami’s plan. “Hold on. I know Goblins are not the brightest stars in the sky, but they have probably counted us by now… don’t you think they would notice you were missing?”

Dyami sighed at the terrible loophole. “Yes… I know…. You will either have to carry some sort of quickly made dummy…. Or…” Dyami glanced back at Denthadar and he caught on quickly on what she would have wanted.

“Oh… an illusion?? Dyami, I’m not sure….”

“Please, Denthadar. It doesn’t have to be of any good quality, they are still quite far away. Just a hooded cloaked figure that’s about my height… maybe two…I know that your strength in power lies within manipulating the power of the mind… If anyone can trick them, it’s you” She said. She knew very well that poor Denthadar was probably on the verge of collapse, but she could not think of another option… Hopefully, Denthadar at least had enough left for the few-minutes walk down the valley.

Then, she turned to Aelor who was leaning against a nearby boulder and staring off into nothing... If he was not totally in this upcoming battle, he could easily be killed. Again, Dyami understood that his predicament was a difficult and painful one…. “Aelor..” She said, lightly putting his hand on his shoulder…. He turned to her, looking with distant curiosity…. Oh, how she wished she could give him the warm encouragement he so desperately wanted….. But, right now, he needed to see the reality before him…. It was the only way she could think of helping him. *SMACK*

Aelor’s face went from distant wonder, to absolute shock as Dyami’s hand print could be seen across his face. “Wha-?!?” He started to shout, but Dyami was waiting for that and quickly clapped his mouth shut with her hand.

“Listen, you fool, and listen well.” She quietly hissed in elvish to get her point across (although it was probably with a heavy eastern accent). “Although keeping your mind adrift will save you from the pain, it will by no means save your life, or that of whom you care for. Aelor we are in a dire situation, and I need your help. I know you are good at scaling and are silent on your feet… Plus your skin will naturally blend in with the terrain….. Denthadar permitting, I would like you to go with me and take out the goblins will have arrows to our friends. If not, then march with the others and fight for the sake of your life and the others around you… Or… If you wish, you could you can go back to your waking slumber, and simply accept the punishment Fate will give you for not trying.”

“I am trying….” He said… it was difficult if it was withheld fury or distant complaint.

“You are trying to exist…. Unfortunately, in this world… simply existing is never enough…” and would never be enough to gain Dyami’s heart. She felt like adding, but decided not to.

“Dyami..” Aeleth said, but Dyami had an idea what he was about to ask.

“I am sorry to say… but right now, your armor would hinder you up the cliff. Please, I think your blades will do better if you went with the others and protected them…” Dyami said with a nod.

"I am sorry, but this is the best i can come up with, with the little time i had.... It is your decision now on how we proceed."

Well, she laid out a plan… it was up to the group now to either take it, or make one of their own…. Hopefully, they will come to a decision quickly, as time was more then precious.

(OOC: I think they are heading south….. So, I based my directional descriptions on that. Please tell me if I was wrong.)

5. daraja

daraja Ghost

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    They had stopped when Denathdar had started whining again that he ws too tired to continue. This interruption was just irritading, he wanted to continue the way as soon as possible, he wanted to get off the mountains as soon as possible. Right now they were just going on in circles. Apparently there was going to be a battle, against some filthy goblins ('cause of his elven blood, he hated orcish creature's the most in the world, elves think they are unnatural, which makes them worse than anything). No goblin would stop him, he had fought against them more than once.

Suddenly he noticed himself being drifted to events that took place the summer before. He remembered their last battle against goblins, the knight called Egrin Fallabrine had died that day. Then his thoughts were drifted to the moment he had laid Svartnir's weapons to his dead and cold hands; he remembered how Luna had taken them away and bromised to bring him back. The reason Aelor had taken part in this journey.
    All the things he would do after Svartnir would be here again; they all went on in his head endlesly. ''When he will be here..'' he said to himself all the time, and denied to believe that things could go otherwise.

Leaning to a large boulder Aelor felt Dyami's hand on his shoulder.
    “Aelor..” She said, lightly putting his hand on his shoulder…. He turned to her, looking with distant curiosity…. Then like out of the blue - - *SMACK*

Aelor’s face went from distant wonder, to absolute shock as Dyami’s hand print could be seen across his face. “Wha-?!?” He started to shout, but Dyami was waiting for that and quickly clapped his mouth shut with her hand.
    “Listen, you fool, and listen well.” She quietly hissed in elvish to get her point across (although it was coloured with a heavy eastern accent). “Although keeping your mind adrift will save you from the pain, it will by no means save your life, or that of whom you care for. Aelor we are in a dire situation, and I need your help. I know you are good at scaling and are silent on your feet… Plus your skin will naturally blend in with the terrain….. Denthadar permitting, I would like you to go with me and take out the goblins will have arrows to our friends. If not, then march with the others and fight for the sake of your life and the others around you… Or… If you wish, you could you can go back to your waking slumber, and simply accept the punishment Fate will give you for not trying.”

“I am trying….” Aelor said… but then stopped. Fury burned his heart. They don't know, said someone in his head, but the blinding rage quieted it quickly.

“You are trying to exist…. Unfortunately, in this world… simply existing is never enough…” Dyami continued.

That hit him. She was right, he was so focused on bringing Svartnir back to amongs the living that he had almost forgotten how to live. He remembered how he had been when they had met. How he had told Dyami how much he loved the woods and life itself. He remembered how he had helped a small rabbit to escape one of their traps when he didn't had the heart to kill it. He remembered how he had hugged a big old oak when it had given him some acorns; of course he had ensured that no one would see him hugging a tree..
    He remembered his fathers stories about elves that had forgotten to appreciate life and had started to serve Chemosh, Lord of the Dead. They had become...monsters. Just like Darius, the bastard human that had killed Svartnir.

“Dyami..” Aeleth said, but Dyami continued, answering to the elf's un-said question:
    “I am sorry to say… but right now, your armor would hinder you up the cliff. Please, I think your blades will do better if you went with the others and protected them…
    I am sorry, but this is the best i can come up with, with the little time i had.... It is your decision now on how we proceed."

Aelor took out his bow and an arrow and nodded to Dyami grimly. He was ready to fight again. He looked at Nyla for a short while and smiled at her. The young female felt her heart jump; the lively green color of the forests had returned to Aelors eyes.

Aelor took off most of his clothes, leaving only trousers and weapons. Rest he gave with his bag to Chris who was strong enough to carry two persons belongings.
    When trying to be invisible, they were just in the way. Even though the air was cold, and despite the snow, there were some plants in the ground, and of course the trees. So Aelors white skin, and his torso full of plant ornament tattooes, was a perfect disguise, Quietly Aelor followed Dyami as she led the way, using all his hunters skills to blend into one with the ground.
    It was time to hunt, he said to himself as he smelled his prey coming closer.

6. Lord_Croanan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Ne'Arc drew his saber and quickly glanced around the rock.

"What the nauth are they doing..." he quitly mumbled. Something was wrong, very wrong. This wasn't a caravan, and the group was composed of at least two races, he could tell that from this distance.

"Would should we do Ne'Arc?" a goblin beside him asked.

"Go and tell the archers to pick thier targets and start firing, if we can kill them before the ambush, that would be to my liking." Ne'Arc was getting more uncomfortable that Trunt and his tracker goblins had not returned, what could be happening that they would not be in position yet? He had seen the group the entire time, no-one had sliped off.

A goblin beside him cocked his head. "M'Lord, I hear something." Ne'Arc looked towards the north, where barely audible yelps were heard, and the occasional moan.

"Orgres.......are they hunting the hunters?.....Bigga, Smalla, to me!" A huge goblin and a very tiny one crawled over to him. Bigga was probably more orc than goblin, but the fact was that he was huge, which is what Ne'Arc needed. Smalla was the exact opposite, but he was the fastest sword goblin the leader had ever met. Not neccesesarly good, but what was good when Smalla could impale you before you had even drawn your sword?

The theiving human turned to them. "Listen to me, my archers have failed me, so we're springing the trap now! take fifteen goblins and charge that group, I want them dead!" the two goblins nodded and hunched over, waiting for the signal.

Na'Arc turned to another two goblins, his personal body guards. The first was named Jaw, for the goblin was missing his lower jaw after it had been ripped off by a possessed child. Now his tongue lolled around, but the creature was expirienced, and carried around two chains with wicked chain heads attached the end. The other goblin was Majja, a rare goblin shamen.

"Alright you two, while Bigga and Smalla are attacking from the front, you two and I, along with five others, will attack from the side, now move!"

The mountains suddenly came alive with battle horns and war cries, as goblins jumped out from behind rocks and outcroppings. Bigga hefted a huge war hammer and charged down the slope, with Smalla riding his shoulders and goblins charging after. Ne'Arc drew another saber, and motioned to his slaver goblin Graug to lead. Graug pulled out his whip and a sythe, and cracked his whip. Ne'Arc followed his group around, before jumping onto the path and hurtling themselves forward. Around twenty five goblins were now screaming and waving an asortment of wickedly curved weapons towards the travling group.

"Forward goblins! For loot! For plunder! For blood!"

7. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    As soon as Dynami and Aelor were out of sight the sound of horns filled the air, "So much for dramatic timing..." Dack muttered pulling Akurai fully out of it's scabbard. It didn't take long for him to select his target, there was one human traveling with the goblin horde. He heard the man's voice echo commandingly, "Forward goblins! For loot! For plunder! For blood!" Dack couldn't help but smile, a man after my own heart... he thought as he rushed the troop the human moved with.

In addition to the human, two others in this small team stood out. One was missing a jaw, but his weapons would more than make up for that deformity. The other carried a staff with various charms attached, shamen... he knew right away. He'd been raised in a totemistic society, as such, he knew very well how shamanic magics usually worked, and that made this goblin particularly dangerous.

Dack managed to cut down the first goblin with minimal effort, but his weapon had been lowered, giving Dack the edge, the others wouldn't make it that easy. He was fighting seven at once, and with the shamen present he would need to move very carefully, he would have to do everything he could to keep them in some sort of line, allowing him to engage them one at a time. However what would be most important here would be keeping a body between him and the magician.

He circled the group, making sure none could see his back. The next of the goblins wielded a spear, he lunged for Dack, planning to impale him, however the elf redirected the attack with his sword, then stepped forward and beheaded his opponent. Taking a step back he narrowly avoided a killing stroke, receiving a cut to the arm instead. Dack responded by jamming the end of his sword handle into the goblin's throat, crushing it's trachea. Three down, five to go.

As he was fighting he remembered the goblin he'd fought when they were fighting Darius' group, he wondered what had ever happened to that one, but pushed the thought away, now having to focus on the here and now. The jawless goblin stepped forward and swung his chained weapons, one low, the other high, planning on trapping Dack in the middle.

Dack rolled backwards, barely avoiding a crushed skull. Dack felt around on the ground and his hand wrapped around the spear from earlier, he pulled it up with him and sheathed Akurai, hoping to counter the deadly force of the chains, with the superior reach of the pole arm.

8. Smurf

Smurf Finrod Felagund

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Denathdar was wailing, but this time at Dyami's request. This seemed odd to him in the extreme but understood straight away what it was for. So he whined and moaned to the best of his ability, sometimes it was a bit over the top - but that didn't stop him it's not as if goblins were suddenly theatre critics. Then Dyami came over again for another request, a request that Denathdar was actually annoyed at. She wanted him to conjure up an illusion, which would mean him spending some more of what little energy he had left. However, illusions weren't all that consuming with energy, just a simple distortion of the area in front of him in which way he wanted. Plus it didn't need to be very good.

So while Denathdar was moaning for a stop and conjuring an illusion, his gangly arms flailing around the place invoking the magic necessary. Busy eyes were watching from the surrounding mountain ridges, goblin eyes. They were preparing for an assault on the group, which the group had figured out trouble for quite some time. Nevertheless they were goblins and they were about as annoying as Denathdar's frozen nose in the morning. Denathdar was oblivious to the events that occurred leading up to the combat, suffice to say that when it came he was still not one hundred percent in control.

The battle horns blew and the archers let loose their volleys of arrows, they were really pathetic shots, goblins. Like drunken men trying to shoot behind them without moving, could best describe their erratic aiming. But then came the charge and the group responded in kind. Goblins poured down from the sides of the mountains and Denathdar thought that the illusion was not necessary anymore, no time to stop and count in the midst of battle. So he dropped the magic and checked himself to see if there was any more reserve of willpower left. Hardly any, so he turned to his backpack for certain utensils that might be useful in battle.

He opened the bag and extracted a slingshot and little balls, these balls were filled with special liquids that would do certain things upon impact. He got one ready and aimed it up at the archers. Letting loose the ball sped upwards and cracked in front of them. At first nothing happened, then in a crazy explosion the two mixtures in the balls mixed and emitted a thick smokey haze that covered most of the archers' eyes from the battle below. That'll keep them occupied Denathdar thought. Then he turned to the real battle, he noticed that there were shamens in the crowd, goblin shamens were the worst to deal with. Their little earthy magics were pathetic - yet volitile. He knew he had to deal with them himself, being a magic user and all. He got out a few little artefacts from his bag that were balls, but smaller than the smoke cloud ones. He put a few of them into the slingshot and fired them towards where the shamens were. Shooting like shrapnel, most of the balls missed, but a few hit their targets and they exploded into the chests of a couple of shamens emitting a powerful electric charge killing them instantly. They were useful ammo, although those were Denathdar's last ones. The shamens were angry at their colleagues' demise and were heading towards Denathdar's direction. Denathdar checked - only his staff and what little mind power he had left was his only defence against the oncoming goblins. He suddenly felt very vulnerable.

"Eep"

9. Nizati

Nizati ShadowDagger

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    With all in agreement to the plan, she turned to Aelor and could already see a great change in him. So… He decided to come back to them…. Dyami was more then glad… but now was not the time to celebration. Denthadar yet again proved more then his worth by creating the appropriate illusions as she requested. This was definitely a man whom Dyami would never underestimate again. As the group started to get ready to meet with the goblin enemy, Dyami and Aelor were already off, scailing the side of the valley in near-absolute silence.

It wasn’t too long ‘til the first goblin archers were in sight, and with their eyes focused on the group, it was more then easy to silently take them out with a throwing dagger or one of Aelor’s arrows. Less then a minute later, nearly the entire line of archers became prey to Dyami and Aelor’s silent and deadly precision. Then, with the last archer fallen, Dyami looked down at where the group was, and calculated when the signal would in all probability be given to…… Just as she figured that the group had a few minutes of walking to go, goblin horns blared and the goblins from the other side of the valley came forward to destroy the group. Obviously, one of them… probably that unknown being she sensed earlier, had figured out that someone was systematically killing off their archers and decided to attack the group ahead of plan… Which, brought them at another slight disadvantage… they had to run more to get close enough to the group, thus allowing the group to prepare themselves for battle.

As much as Dyami wanted to go down there to help, she soon found that she had problems of her own to worry about: namely, any and all goblin raiders left alive on the west side ridge of the valley. Which... thanks to her and Aelor’s quick work…. wasn=t many. Still, time was of the essence and Dyami knew that the others below were going to need her help soon... Just as she finished off the last raider with her dagger, Dyami sensed a tiny being behind her that was coming in to attack at an amazing speed. Yes.. This one was extremely fast... Dyami thought as she turned her rapier without even looking. As the little goblin leaped in the air, instead of stabbing Dyami in the back, he impaled himself onto her blade with all the force that little one could muster….Yes… and she was faster.

Aelor, on the other hand had found a much larger problem in the form of a massive goblin (maybe more orcish then goblin) which swung at the half-elf with his massive weapons. Aelor, without his armor seemed to be in great trouble for a moment... But, Dyami held back... She could see it in Aelor=s eyes and fighting style that he wanted to face this opponent on his own... The Aelor she first met was back, and wanted to prove that fact for himself. After a few more quick moves and dodging, Aelor delivered a death-blow to the creature=s throat. A smirk was on his face as Aelor turned to Dyami.

“I am glad you found your way back to us, dear Aelor.” Dyami said with a smile.

As he was about to say something, the sound and energy of the melee below them caught Dyami’s attention. The others, especially Denthadar needed their help against the goblin attack. And there, amongst them, was the being Dyami had sensed: he was human…. For the most part. Although, one of his arms seemed… reptilian… or almost dragon-like. But that did not matter. Right now, Denthadar had run out of tricks and it was Dyami’s turn to return his favor. With that, she half-ran, half-slid down the valley side, and threw a dagger at the creature who was seconds away from impaling her red-robed comrade.

Not long later, she was amongst the melee with her rapier, long-dagger and her tail-dagger. “Denthadar, you have done your part. Get out of here. I will cover you.” Dyami said, while blocking another one of the goblins.

Right now, protecting the mage and cutting through what’s left of the hoard became Dyami’s priority. The stronger goblins, and the leader, would have to be left to the other members of the group. Although Dyami’s plan helped a great deal, this battle was far from over.

10. Gil-Galad_360

Gil-Galad_360 Aran Noldorin

Mirkwood, keeping the woods free of Morgoth's mini
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Dyami gave Aeleth a confused look because of the manner of his awakening, inquiring; her voice could barely be heard even by Aeleth’s well attuned ears:

“An old battle scar bothering you in your sleep?”

A very bold comment on her part, Aeleth thought as he grunted at the half-demoness. For he was no one to talk about his past.

“A very old scar… And you, Blue Demon of the Shadowblades,” said Aeleth half-teasing her “Do you hold any wounds that cannot be seen?”

“What cuts I have are covered in ice ‘til I feel them no more.” Aeleth understood she was emulating his own speech in a playful manner, he closed the subject with a slight grin and stared at the mountains, he would not sleep any longer, but Dyami it seemed needed a little longer.

He climbed down the tree in perfect stealth and headed to a nearby rock where he spent the first few minutes of the day carving knives out of the sharp and brittle stone until he was satisfied with the number of brittle sharp and pointy daggers he had crafted, there at the distance was Denathdar spending his time with mage issues, Aeleth paid no greater mind to this matter for he was not interested, least concerned in whatever toil troubled the mage’s mind; so he started to test his knives, he threw one at a tree pinning the stone-made weapon to the intended branch.

“Good” Thought Aeleth concealing the rest of his handmade knives inside his cloak.

Soon after word was given that it was time to proceed on their road, Aeleth joined the group at the rear unnoticed. They proceeded through the path with no stops whatsoever, for Aeleth’s delight, for he was fond of quick paces and swift travelling but he understood not all members were of his condition; then after a moment, Dyami offered that they could take a break, some of the group expressed their relief but Chris, expressed his haste:

“Could we just get on with it, this ain’t no picnic!”

“Better get there in whatever time we need and rested than ahead of schedule, tired and ready to be slaughtered, don’t you think, master Minotaur?” Said Aeleth speaking from the rear and surprising almost everybody for most had not even noticed he was there.

“Blegh!” Chris grunted at Aeleth with a disgruntled gesture.

As the group established camp, Aeleth sat down and concentrated to feel any creatures in the near surroundings….quick as a shadow was Dyami, scouting as usual…but ahead was an ill presence, a fell creature, something definitely hostile.

“Hmmmm” Aeleth focused to determine the creature’s nature, it was not an orc, it was not a goblin, it was larger and more dangerous…big but not big enough to be a troll…it HAD to be an ogre, these creatures were not to be taken on lightly; true, they were not precisely smart but strong, steel-willed and most dangerous of all: capable of forming communities and very territorial, this creature was not alone, more were coming from the forest, they had located the group and now had summoned forth enough strength to dare to attack.

Aeleth rose to his feet and reached for two of his handmade knifes as fast as a lightning bolt when a thunderous ill news announcing horn blew from the depths of the forest, soon enough a storm of ogres darted at the group…

Chris reached for his axe, parried a huge ogre-sword with the shaft of his axe and then cleaved the enemy’s chest reaching the heart, another came from behind, the Minotaur dodged, turned around and beheaded the creature.

“Join the party my friend!” Chris shouted at Dack who was already fighting with his accustomed fierce.

“We are on their land!! We need to leave this area to stop them from attacking!” Dyami shouted over the hoard’s screams.

“Well then, where do we go?” someone asked.

''Away from the mountains, we have travelled too close to their town Blöden. Quickly now!'' Nyla yelled.

“There are other dangers ahead than just ogres, mind my words, the path you have pointed out is not safe!” Aeleth yelled back quickly at the silver masked elf for now the ogres were after him and he had now sensed a greater threat upon the group but now he had to mind this one first.

Aeleth spun his knives three times over his fingers as three ogres approached; he threw the same number of weapons getting the first one in the eye, the second one in the throat and the third one in the head reaching the brain and drew his 6-foot long swords in what seemed to be a split-second.

The ancient elf thundered amongst the enemy lines like a legendary monster: before they could swing their blades, two ogres were beheaded by Aeleth’s blades, other attempted to downwards cleave the elf but he dodged the attack and with a swift single movement stabbed the fiend in the back of his head with one of his blades and gutted another with the other of his weapons.

As the enemy noted the skill of this mithril armoured blue cloaked elf, a company of five ogres surrounded, enclosed and determined to attack him at once…but they committed a fatal mistake: they al rose their swords at the same time, with a grin, Aeleth spun once on the spot he was standing on, the ogres didn’t move as if they had been turned into fleshy statues and then… a terribly powerful magical wind which thundered the ground granted the group an escape route as the remaining ogres were trying to find out what happened…then the result of Aeleth’s technique was revealed as the halves of all the five ogres fell to the ground. Aeleth sheathed back his swords into their scabbards and dashed as lightning to join the company on their way to a safer place.

As they reached a sufficiently distant place for the battle site, the author of the spell, Denathdar asked them to stop for the elven mage was exhausted:

"Ok ok let's stop here please." He sat down on a rock and breathed heavily from the exercise.
    "So, I just thought I'd bring up another matter, where are we going exactly?"

Aeleth turned his gaze towards the silver masked elf for he knew that if anybody knew about this matter, it had to be one of Lunalath’s closest ones.

''The valley will take us back to the mountains.'' Nyla said interrupting the group’s chatting.

“Good, more fun for my axe!” Chris said shaking his weapon in a battle eager mood.

Aeleth shook his head at the Minotaur’s ways and then again his thoughts once again focused in the mountains…the secret trail only he knew about after so many years…

“What’s the matter master elf, you don’t like to fight?” The Minotaur cast the elf a puzzled look. Aeleth paid no mind, if he would someday have a word with Chris, it would definitely not be that day.

'We can't go back,'' Nyla continued, ''ogres will surely follow us. Those blood thirsty creatures will surely follow us until we leave the mountains. So I suggest we keep on moving and hope that we find a way that will take us away from the mountains...''

“Or we can follow the trail I know….” Aeleth thought for himself. About this trail he would speak only if it was absolutely necessary.

With no more words, the members of the group gathered their equipment and set course again. It was then When Aeleth noticed everything was in great silence…no birds, no animals, no wind, not even the accustomed battle cries of any distant fight so common in the forest of that world…Aeleth didn’t like this, he felt the group was being watched by concealed and sneaky presences; it was their distant swift and sneaky ways what made it possible for the elf to identify the source: goblins; although, disturbingly enough, there was a nearly human presence with them which seemed to be a piece of chief importance.

Soon enough the ominous presence that was stalking the group was notified to the others by Dack:

"Step carefully, these hills have eyes." He said in a quiet tone to avoid being overheard by apparently invisible enemies.

Aeleth nodded at the comment noticing the red glow of Dack’s blade and then continued to march quietly, his right hand holding his bow, his left holding two arrows between his fingers ready to pierce the eyes of any creature that should appear.

Then Nyla asked the demoness: “Can you see anything up in the hills, it seems my eyes have failed me this time.''

“Goblins” Dyami answered whispering faintly and scanning the area for a place that would provide her with some cover, it was obvious that a counterattack plan was needed; they were going to be ambushed from every side in any moment.

Dyami told Denathdar to provide cover for them until they reached a large rock for better concealment.

Aeleth’s thoughts almost came at the same time as Denathdar’s whining:

“Magic and more magic….” Aeleth was in no way very fond of mages but at least this one had proven himself useful and skilled. Soon enough a cover fog screen was provided by the mage and then all the group managed to reach a nearby rock for protection. Then Dyami spoke again:

“We are surrounded by goblins and one other I cannot identify. They are positioned in a way to effectively take us out about mid-way in this valley. We cannot stay here for long, and we cannot go back without eventually being caught between these goblins and the ogres.”

“Wonderful…” Chris said.

“I know and I know where they are as well Dyami.” Aeleth said. “Do you have a plan?” He asked Dyami in order to help her fit-in the ideas he knew she already had.

“Sort of… I can use my cloak to blend into the surrounding area and climb to the goblins on the west (right) more or less undetected. The rest of you will have to walk into the trap…. But, if you stay to the west side, I should be able to cause enough chaos that you will have little to worry about in ways of arrows or rocks. After that has started, the goblins from the east side will have to come out of hiding to attack. You will have to decide for yourselves to either go east and attack those goblins head-on or go west, scale up the valley wall, and aid me in fighting what’s left of the goblins, and use the higher ground to fight off the others.”

Aeleth only shook his head; it was Aelor who spoke about the loophole:

“Hold on. I know Goblins are not the brightest stars in the sky, but they have probably counted us by now… don’t you think they would notice you were missing?”

These were exactly Aeleth’s thoughts; goblins would notice she is missing unless they could make them think otherwise, Dyami came up with the solution soon enough: Denathdar –once again- would deploy an incantation to confuse the enemy and grant her the concealment she would need. Sure this mage had an extensive knowledge of magic and a respectable mind-bending power but even mages can feel the effects of exhaustion.

Then Dyami went to Aelor who had seemed to be too oblivious even in the time of battle. Aeleth could read this one with almost boring ease, he liked the demoness but she didn’t like him then the mage was hurt and…blah blah blahhh.

Aeleth shook his head at him, if he kept it up like this, he would end up being more useful to the group dead than alive.

“Enough of this” Aeleth thought and started to work on his course of action once the goblins had adapted their attack pattern to their enemies’ new position: he would storm their frontline using his self-developed sword technique and…. This pattern brought up memories to Aeleth, the dream he had had stirred up what he once committed to himself to forget…but never forgive neither himself nor the ones who were responsible for the crime; either way he had already determined which would be the most suitable course of action.

*SMACK* Aeleth heard a noise and then saw Dyami’s hand printed on Aelor’s cheek.

“That should do it!” Chris said well-pleased.

Then after Dyami’s…talk with Aelor, she determined to take her plan into effect, she was about to leave when Aeleth spoke to her:

“Dyami...” but he was interrupted by the demoness who got a completely wrong idea of what the elf was about to say:

“I am sorry to say… but right now, your armour would hinder you up the cliff. Please, I think your blades will do better if you went with the others and protected them…” Dyami said with a nod.

"I am sorry, but this is the best I can come up with, with the little time I had.... It is your decision now on how we proceed."

“Guessing won’t get you to understand me, comrade” Aeleth kept on speaking “you know as I do that two warriors attacking from the same concealed position will be detected and killed before they can blink, besides you have witnessed that my armour portrays no obstacle to my mobility whatsoever. I was only about to tell you to be careful.”

Soon enough the illusion was performed and Dyami started dispatching as many goblin archers as she had daggers, Aeleth took 5 down in three seconds making his bow sing with fury; the leader obviously noticed there was some concealed attacker and decided to attack the group at once.

With a terrible horn blow many goblins pounced at the group, without hesitation Aeleth storm their lines…there was a change in him, he was not fighting elegantly and deathly as he used to, he was being brutal: a goblin tried to slash him, but the elf grabbed its arm, broke the goblin’s elbow sticking his bones out with which Aeleth stabbed him in the throat, then he started to take the stone knives from inside his cloak and threw the five weapons he had made at the goblins’ throats and eyes, these were cruel weapons because of their characteristic brittleness which causes breakage once one tries to pull them out.

Then Aeleth unsheathed his swords and performed lightning-fast movements to stab eyes, slice throats, split out guts and even cut a lightning fast moving goblin in half with an upside down cleave.

As he turned around he saw Dyami portraying a movement of respectable speed to which he only raised an eyebrow thinking “good, good” as he triple cross cleaved a couple of goblins parrying their swords, cutting their hands off and beheading them.

But it was not over yet, for more goblins were attracted to Aeleth in order to kill him, while the others were busy with their own problems:

Denathdar was so exhausted that needed Dyami to save him from a goblin which nearly killed the red-robed mage; she came down from her concealed position armed with her rapier and two daggers

Three goblins attacked Chris; the Minotaur was strong but he was not precisely a dictionary definition for nimble, he had been wounded by a goblin scimitar in the back while trying to axe one of his attackers, but he then came up with a plan…

A goblin pounced at the Minotaur from a rock, but Chris managed to axe it midair bringing the creature to the ground splitting its chest in two, he would then parry blades with the shaft of his axe, kick the goblin and then be head it when it leaned over in pain, he repeated this attack several times until the goblins learned the timing and started to wound him, but then Chris came up with another pattern: parry, turn around, cleave downwards, turn around and then cleave upwards; this time the goblins backed off a bit to study their big enemy with more time.

“Good axe work master Minotaur” Aeleth recognized. “Although I would mind my rear a bit more.” The elf finished.

“What?” Said Chris turning around swinging his axe as if Aeleth’s last words had been a warning but only an already killed goblin laid flat on the ground.

They had killed many goblins but this had just been the beginning.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2006
  11. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Dack's fight hadn't gotten any easier. He still had the jawless goblin to deal with, and the two remaining foot soldier goblins from this squad had joined in the fight. It was all Dack could do to keep from being surrounded, until he remembered his duel with Svartnir. He had used an elegant, almost dance like style of fighting. Dack had faced a similar style of combat before, but the Krynnian had been the most effective at it of all he'd seen.

Dack began to imitate the twists and twirls of the dance, keeping his foes at bay, finally he saw the opening he would need, he let go of the spear, distracting the nearest goblin long enough for him to spin into a killing stroke, this was almost an error, as his comrade lunged for Dack, poised to pierce his heart. Dack managed to stumble out of the way with no time to spare, but in the commotion Akurai fell from his hand. Before he could regather his blade the goblin was back upon him.

Dack rolled to his feet and carefully timed his response. He side stepped the goblin's downward stroke and grabbed it's sword hand. With a quick twist he'd disarmed the little monster and drove his fist hard into it's throat. The creature let off a death rattle as it fell to the ground. Dack still needed his sword back, but the jawless goblin had stepped between he and the blade. To make matters worse, the shaman had now turned his attention to the elf.

There was one fatal flaw Dack could see in both of the creature's abilities. They would be at the disadvantage if he was too close to strike. Dack made it no secret that this was his plan as he ran headlong for the shaman. The wizard fired off a spell, but Dack managed to evade the brunt of the force and shrug of the rest. The wizard pulled loose a knife to attempt to combat Dack, the elf engaged the goblin, locking weapons, then doing something most unexpected.

He dropped the sword and opted to grab the goblin by the blade hand and threw the creature. The sound of a violent impact confirmed his suspicions that the jawless one had followed him a bit too close. The shaman survived, but he would be dead soon enough. Dack made a mad dash for his sword once again while the chains were not in motion. As the chain goblin ran to attack the shaman began firing off random magics.

The goblin warrior nearly gave Dack a ghastly end, but the dirt exploded under it from a deadly burst of pure force. Dack fell from the shock wave, and both arose at the same moment. The goblin rose his weapons for a downward strike, only for his eyes to be filled with dirt from the elf's hand. He didn't get to finish the goblin however, that honor went to it's comrade's final spell, a lightning bolt that struck the chain weapons, and passed through the creature's heart.

Dack didn't take time to celebrate however, turning his attention to the goblin leader, the human. He'd made his way further into the crowd. Dack cut his way to the lizard fisted man and made his challenge. "Human, will you stand and face me in honorable combat, or shall your backside taste the cursed steel of my blade?" Akurai glowed a bright purple, it's strength increased greatly from the deaths of the many goblins he'd cut down en route here. He rushed toward the human choosing not to give the human time to accept the challenge, he knew if he waited too long Akurai would go dormant, needing more blood to regain it's current strength.

12. Lord_Croanan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Ne'Arc watched in amazement as the group destroyed his goblins. He had made mistakes before, but the mountain thief had never attacked a fully armed group of warriors, and the fact that his two bodygaurds had just been destroyed was sickening.

"Demons, elves, what is this......" he hissed, moving around the battle, waiting till he had a chance to attack. Suddenly a voice rang out.

"Human, will you stand and face me in honorable combat, or shall your backside taste the cursed steel of my blade?" Ne'Arc quickly turned, and watched as a pale elf charged for him.

"Taste my steel elf!" he yelled, charging to meet his oppenent. Ne'Arc soon realized this elf was good, very good. His dragon hand shashed out with his large saber, while he kept the other sword close to him to block any counter strikes. Ne'Arc and his oppenent were soon circling in a dance of death, blows, parries, and slashed rang out as blade met blade. Several times Ne'Arcs amputated arm act out, spazing and doing something crazy. Luckily it was random enough to usally catch the elf off gaurd, and kept Ne'Arc from riecieving a sword in his ribs. Out of the corner of his eye, the thief saw his slaver goblin Graug hobble up.

"Graug, find any remaining goblins in the hills and charge the main group! I will finish my job here and meet you!" Ne'Arc almost lost his head for taking the time to shout that, but the battle continuened on in its deathly dance. Finally Ne'Arc Locked both swords with the elve's one, and a battle of strengh ensued, with both fighters attempting to out-push the other. Suddenly the human's arm convolsed again, throwing the elves sword back, but also throwing Ne'Arc's secound sword the ground. He prepared for a final charge.

"Alright elf, I end this now! Tell the Devil Ne'Arc sends another!" Grabbing his sword in both hands and positioning it in front of his chest, the goblin leader charged, malice in his eyes.

13. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Dack and the human fought for several moments, the combat taking them to the edge of a cliff. Their skills seemed even, until finally their weapons locked, and by sacrificing one of his blades, the goblin captain managed to knock Dack to the ground. The human stared down the elf as he readied his weapon for one last charge. He shouted defiantly, "Alright elf, I end this now! Tell the Devil Ne'Arc sends another!" The human ran forth, blade poised for Dack's chest.

The elf laughed openly as he rolled backward to his feet and sheathed his sword. This was an open sign of disrespect to most, but Dack's true intent was to demonstrate why he was known as the fastest blade of the west back on his home world. He drew his blade just as the human was within striking distance, and in one swift flurry of motion he misdirected his enemy's sword, spun, and slammed the handle of his sword into the man's ribs, causing him to drop his weapon and fall to the ground.

Dack took a step back and allowed the human to grab his weapon and try again. This time Dack was not so kind, with the spin that followed the parry he sliced off the humans arm in one clean stroke. The human cried out in agony as the arm hit the ground. He fell to his knees and stared at his victor, hatred in his eyes. The human stood, and in one final act of defiance threw himself from the cliff, into the abyss below. Dack took a look down, he didn't see a body. Not a good sign in his experience.

None the less the commander was gone. Dack and the others had to worry about the remaining goblins and the approaching ogres. To make sure they made it away Dack quickly moved to rejoin the others. They were all doing well, the goblins were providing little challenge, seemed as though the ones he'd fought were simply more skilled than most. Either way, fighting the goblins was taking time, and they were running out of just that, to evade the ogres they were going to have to finish this quickly.

14. daraja

daraja Ghost

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Aelor focused totally to the battle to come, using all his skills to remain invisible. It was not too long when he launched the first deadly arrow towards their opponents. His life long passion to archery was maximised by his natural elven skills. Dyami at his side was using daggers with ingredible strenght.
    He was so focused to the shooting, that he almost didn't see the big, orcish goblin aproaching. Almost.
    He dodged it smoothly, though he had to admit that this goblin wasn't as slow as orcs tended to be. Without his armor he was nearly defenseless.
    Aelor dropped his bow and grabbed his twin elven blades behind his back, taking his battle position. He had to take his time with this opponent, for without his armor, he could not take too many cuts and bruises. With his time though, he managed to spill the creatures life blood to the ground.
    Turning to Dyami, she said to him with a smile:
    “I am glad you found your way back to us, dear Aelor.”

Aelor didn't have any time to asnwer when the sound of melee weapons caught their attentions. The group needed their assistance. Half-running and half-sliding the slope they rushed to the group.
    Aelor run to Chris where as Dyami ran to protect their (currently only) mage. Minotaur threw Aelors bags to him and he quickly wore his chainmal on. On bare skin it would not help against blunt attacks, but goblins usually mostly used cutting style so it didn't matter. With that, Aelor rushed to battle to find his opponent, two blades coverd in blood in his hands.

The battle ended when Dack cut off the raiding party's leader's hand. The wounded man jumped off a cliff to his own death.
    After that the goblins were off to the mountains again, propably too scattered without a leader to do any harm to them anymore.
    Now they would have to take care of their wounds and get going. Aelor thought it would be that simlpe. But the nasty bruice he had in his right side send wawes of pain through his body and insisted him to rest before walking. He had to tear the chainmail off himself, ripping some skin and flesh at the same time. Luckily he still had some dried herbs in his backbag, with which he cleared his wound and put a bandage on it, and the dressed himself, before he would freeze to death in the bitter mountain air. After that, he went to askif anyone else would need help with their wounds.
    He went to Dyami and was about to ask if she needed any help. It was then when he saw a dark shadow against the sky. And a glimpse of snow white hair. He couldn't help the smile widening on his face.

---

Morten was flying off the course that Lunalath had set to the rest of the group. So that made her wonder, and though she trusted the shadow being from all of her heart, she couldn't help herself from asking:
    ''Where are you taking me, this isn't the direction I ordered them to go?''
    ''But it seems to be the way they Have gone anyway my lady..''
    With a sneere, she settled with that. And prepared herself for troubles, going off the road never ment anything good.
    But to Luna's suprice the group had just ended a battle when Morten landed as they were currently tending any wounds they had, thought it seemed they only had minor one's. Only Denathdar seemed to be exhausted, he propably had to make some real strenght absorbing spells to help them to victory.
    Only Aelor came to greet her, all pthers stayed behind, watching her with mistrustful eyes.
    *Wups* was all that went through her head at that moment.

15. Nizati

Nizati ShadowDagger

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    The fight continued on. Dyami danced her way through the numbers as quickly and as efficiently as possible… she had used many of her daggers, and was infuriated at the idea that after this was over, she would have to try to get as many as possible back as they were custom made… yet… time was precious. Dyami could sense the immense battle between Dack and the leader of this band of marauding goblins. While fighting more out of defense, she overheard his orders to an elder looking goblin to get reinforcements…. Not on her watch… Dyami sped up her pace and easily danced through a few goblins and just before the old thing could disappear into the surrounding forest, Dyami leaped out, and although he was able to block her initial attack (he was quite a seasoned fighter to say the least) but in the end, Dyami quickly adapted and finished off the messenger. Seconds later, Dyami witnessed the fall of the leader after having his arm brutally slashed off by Dack and his cursed sword. Good… it was over… the rest of the goblins would soon fall at one of her comrades’ blades…… speaking of blades….. Dyami went to work finishing off the rest of the goblins and recovering her daggers whenever she could. Soon, the battle was done… Dyami knew her duties….

First, she went to the cliff where the leader had fallen… This man was the leader of this group and considering the location and their style, he was indeed a good tactician and from what she seen, a good fighter…. Thus, he deserved at least some respect for his demise… “Blood shed for blood loss.” She said as again she slit her palm and let the blood trickle into the gorge below. “Unknown man with a reptilian arm; Leader of the goblin raiders of the mountain. May Fate grant your spirit its desires wherever it may go.” Dyami said, finishing her small, ceremony of respect. Now… to tend to the wounded and leave as soon as possible…. Who knew when those ogres would be coming back… But, as Dyami turned to left, she swore she felt a flicker of life at the very bottom of that drop…. Hm… maybe his spirit desired to live on… No matter, there was no way he would be attacking them any time soon in his condition.

As Dyami attended to her and the others’ wounds, she could feel a familiar, and one unfamiliar presence flying towards them…. Luna… she was back and charged now and she had a steed that, as Dyami could sense, was quite the powerful creature. Right now, that didn’t matter. Right now, she had to uphold what she said what she would do next time she saw Luna… and seeing how her ‘good and strong’ leadership allowed the members to wonder in two battles made a statement for Dyami in itself….. She had to talk to her about this…

“It seems you have decided not to follow my instructions.” Luna said as she looked around, and spoke to Dyami.

“If you gave us a reason or even warning of your leaving, I may have not been so mistrustful and asked the others to take a different road.” Dyami said.

“…I see you have decided to drag this out into the open, Dyami.” Luna said, obviously not happy at what is to come next.

Dyami stayed calm and serious as she spoke her case in front of Lunalath and the others… and indeed, it felt like her words were on trail as much, if not more, then Luna’s. “Yes. If I was only here as a hired blade, I can assure you that I would have kept silent or simply left by now. But no. I have learned to appreciate these beings as individuals and as comrades. Each of them has earned my trust; some I would even follow blindly if they asked so. But you…. Every time you give me a reason to believe you or trust you, your give me five more reasons to doubt anything you say. We have no guarantees, and if we are supposed to trust you on your actions and you character alone.. well.. I’m quite surprised honestly that we have not left or at least questioned you yet.” It was an understatement to call Lunalath furious as she stared at Dyami in raw offence… The part demon could only imagine what the others thought of her now…. Especially Aelor…. But it was beyond late to back down and continued.. Thankfully, Luna at least let Dyami finish.

“No… You hold a promise that a few individuals in this groups cannot refuse.. but… For their sake, I must know if those promises are hollow or not. How do we know that you are not trying to use us again? And more importantly, at the end of our travels, you won’t just try to dispose of us? Which, considering your power, is quite possible.”

“If you still wish for us to trust and follow you based on your words alone, then it will be a promise in the name of your moon God, Fate…. And sealed with our blood.” Dyami pulled out a knife and cut her own palm as she spoke. Then, she offered the hilt of her bloodied knife so that Luna could do the same, and if the black elven mage agreed, would shake palms in blood.

Dyami knew little about magic, but such a promise of safe passage and honest intention would hold amazing binding power. Even someone Lunalath would have to bend to her own word.

“Please... Choose your words wisely.”

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  16. daraja

daraja Ghost

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Dyami's words almost made Lunalath shake for rage. But she kept her mouth shut and just patently waited that Dyami will say what she had to say.

“No… You hold a promise that a few individuals in this groups cannot refuse.. but… For their sake, I must know if those promises are hollow or not. How do we know that you are not trying to use us again? And more importantly, at the end of our travels, you won’t just try to dispose of us? Which, considering your power, is quite possible.”

“If you still wish for us to trust and follow you based on your words alone, then it will be a promise in the name of your moon Goddess, Fate…. And sealed with our blood.” Dyami pulled out a knife and cut her own palm as she spoke. Then, she offered the hilt of her bloodied knife so that Luna could do the same, and if the black elven mage agreed, would shake palms in blood.

Dyami knew little about magic, but such a promise of safe passage and honest intention would hold amazing binding power. Even someone Lunalath would have to bend to her own word.

“Please... Choose your words wisely.”

Lunalath looked at Dyami intensively for many moments, and from the corner of her eye she could see that the rest of the group was getting nervous. Except Aelor, who stood there looking very confident. But not about himself, Aelor seemed to think that Luna would do 'the right thing'. For a moment she almost wanted to spit on Dyami's face, just to see Aelors reaction. But that would be a direct insult, even worse, direct attack. And Lunalath, no matter how powerful she was, was not stupid enough to think that she could kill Dyami before she could slit Luna's throat with that damnet dagger.

So Lunalath took the dagger and mumbled few words as she slit a long cut to her palm and down to her arm. Then she gave the knife to Dyami with a grin. Lunalath could see the doubt in Dyami's eyes. Just barely she stopped a deep sigh - would they always doubt her actions just based on the color of her robes?
    After a short moment, Dyami slit her palm too and offered her hand to the black mage.
    Lunalath grabbed it and said:
    ''Your blood is now my blood, my blood is now your blood.''

With those words, both females could feel tickling going through their hands, through their torso, through their whole body. Quickly it was over. But something had changed. Where as Dyami now felt strange but pleasant warmth within, the cold inside Lunalath could be seen on her pale face, which now had been drained of all warmth.

There was no sing in their skin, the cut was gone, but Lunalaths magic was not undone. This she proved by taking the knife again from Dyami, and now smiling, cut her palm a little again. A small drop of blood fell to the snow. Another drop fell from Dyami's hand. The half-demoness looked at her palm that now had a similar cut as Lunalath with numb eyes. Lunalath could not tell what feeling went through Dyami at that moment.

''We are now bound to each other, if you get a wound, I will get one too. If you die, so will I. Is this a proof enough for you to not doubt my motives?''

A small shadowy childs hand was placed in Lunalaths wounded one.

17. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    As Dack watched the ritual being performed he couldn't help but experience a bit of deja vu. He pulled back one of his sleeves and looked at the long faded scar there. As far as he knew, only Aeleth would have been alive when he had last sworn a similar oath, many ages ago. Granted, that happened in a place far far away from where he was now. Among those who raised him a blood oath was a common thing, it made you as close as family. He and his brother had been the first elves to take part in such a ceremony.

That simple promise had also set him apart from the "properly" raised elves. Many of them looked upon them as some sort of abomination for having taken part in such a ritual, not to mention how he was introduced to such actions. Despite that fact, the high elves respected warriors of their caliber, especially ones that could inform them of their ancestral enemies tactics. Then there were others who simply knew their prowess on the battlefield was vital to their survival.

Yes, the blood oath was something he was very familiar with, and it showed him yet another parallel with home. One of his traveling companions and he had sworn just such an oath, although theirs didn't put them in so dire a situation as Luna's and Dynami's. Dack supposed this would be sufficient to put the 'what if' questions to rest, and they would finally be able to start focusing on the quest again. And to think, the high borns back home thought blood oaths were a bad thing...

18. Lord_Croanan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Shapes and memories, half dreams and people all flowed through Ne'Arcs mind, circleing about as if he was watching some theatrical performance, and then he came to.

Pain, that was all he could feel. It consumed him, dominated him, corsed through his body like nothing he had ever felt before. He slowly looked at his stubbed arm blood flowing forth and making the snow all around him redder than an evening sky. It was his human arm that had been lopped off by his oppenent, and soon he would bleed to death on this ledged where he had landed, far below the ridge he had thrown himself off. Suddenly he hard a whimper, and looked over to his right. A goblin was huddled near the end of the large ledge he was on, a staff with various trinket latched to it. Ne'Arc recognized it as a goblin apprentice his own bodygaurd had taken on to train, a fledgling shamen.

"Goblin, call down lighting from the heavens to strike me!" Ne'Arc gasped at it. The goblin looked over at him and simply mumbled something, and then went back to its whimperings. In less than two secounds Ne'Arc had risen and strode over to it, before pickin it up and throttling the creature. "FOOLISH GOBLIN, I AM DYING A PAINFUL DEATH, STRIKE ME!" He now screamed in its terrified face.

"My abilites are weak m'lord, I have not the power to do it!" it said in a mournful voice. Ne'Arc shook him violently and than threw him to the ground, then drawing a long knife. He was losing to much blood, he would soon die.

"I'll give you three secounds before I skin you alive." He said in a dangerously soft voice. The goblin began chanting something, and few moments later clouds began gathering over head. Ne'Arc took a step back and raised his head to the heavens, watching as falling snowflakes brushed across his face. Suddenly there was a flash and a shrieking sound, than his entire body was consumed in fire.

Ne'Arc woke up for a third time that day, and emmidiatly glanced at his arm. He let out a sigh of relief, the magical but weak lighing bolt's heat had cauterized his wound completely, stopping the blood flowing and searing the flesh over it. He was safe for now, except for the secound degree burns all over his body. Hopefully the hair would grow back. He glanced over at the goblin. It had sadly not been so lucky, as the energy from the lighting had thrown him back against the cliff wall, whether he was dead or mearly unconsious Ne'Arc neither knew nor cared.

Four hours later he had managed to get down from the ledge and onto a path leading down the mountain. His pain had been replaced with pure angry at the elf who had dared defeat him in battle, and the group who had so effectively butchered his small raiding army. He would extract his revenged in time, but at the moment, he had a suprise appointment with a certain mage's academy, for Ne'Arc needed a new arm, another dragon's perferably.

19. Nizati

Nizati ShadowDagger

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Almost to Dyami’s surprise, Luna did pick up the blade and sliced her hand and arm… but… there was something about the air that Dyami did not like… something was different then the last time she had witnessed the sacred oath: Luna was not making an outward promise. Last time the saw this done (it was with an assassin promising to guard a certain rich man for an extremely handsome fee) an oath was given by both persons, and with the cutting of palms, they became bound to their word. But this time... the power surrounding them seemed to be of a deeper sort… As Luna finished, she handed the dagger back to Dyami with a grin. What exactly was going on? Another trick?? Dyami did not know, but she decided that she had little choice at this point, and would trust in the ancient, sacred magic not to doom her.

With that, Dyami sliced her palm further to match Luna’s open wound, and offered her hand. Lunalath took it, and with it a wave of power. Dyami, almost without thought, spoke the words with Luna as they grasped palms: “Your blood is now my blood, my blood is now your blood.” And with it, Dyami felt a wave of warmth that she had never felt before that, most strangely, did not cause her any pain or discomfort like heat usually does for her. But, she could also feel a part of her: a black shard of ice within Dyami’s soul seemed to refuse and guard itself from the change throughout her. But overall, the heat touched her, and became part of assassin. In the same token, Dyami looked up, and could see that the pale elf was now almost completely void of colour. The scar was gone, and without even Luna explaining, Dyami had an almost definite feeling of what just happened. Luna cut her hand, so did Dyami without her ever touching metal. The spell, instead of binding them to an oath, bound them to each other…. “Is this a proof enough for you to not doubt my motives?''

Dyami’s mind raced wondering the extent of what this might mean…. Like this new heat, did Dyami gain anything else from the mage’s blood? Or, visa-versa? Would senses be affected, as it was obvious she sensed things through her abilities as a part-demon, this would be especially important (or beneficial, as elves could see far better distances then her eyes could). And, would Dyami feel every pain Luna would have? If so, then when Luna went into labour, it would be the worst day in Dyami’s life. And… more worrying about Luna then herself…. Would Dyami’s blood affect something as so personal as Luna’s mind? …. Although she never told anyone this thus far, it was quite difficult to feel certain emotions: kindness, friendship, loyalty, empathy… love… All these emotions and many other ones thought to be positive were beyond a full-demon’s grasp. ‘Psychopath’ was the newest term given to the demons and the odd human who were born like this. And, although Dyami did indeed have these emotions, they came slowly, and only with many personal choices and difficulties did they come in as strongly as she sometimes outwardly shown they did. If Lunalath lost this, it would be a great misfortune indeed. At least, Dyami knew with an odd certainty, that Lunalath’s unborn child was exempt from this new spell. This blood binding was simply between the two of them…

Dyami nodded after what would seem like a small pause for everyone else: “Yes… this must have been quite a leap of faith for you as well to come into such a spell. Very well, for now, I will set my doubt aside and follow. But,” Dyami added with a smirk too rarely seen. “If you leave without a proper warning or decent excuse again, I will start etching questions of your exact whereabouts right into your skin.” For a moment, everyone stood sort of dumb, wondering if Dyami was making an open and hateful threat…. Or… if indeed she actually had a sense of humor.

At the look of their faces, Dyami actually smiled. “Well, we need not stay here and wait for the ogres as well, Lunalath, lead the way.” And while the mage led, Dyami would start asking some of the many questions about what exactly did the two dark and stubborn women get themselves into with this new binding.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  20. daraja

daraja Ghost

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Lunalath couldn't stop the laughter bursting from deep within. But it had no hint of irony or anything sort. Her laughter was happy and honest. Dyami's humorous, yet threathful words, brought some old memories from her mind.
    She led the way and held the little hand of Morten's, who had again turned himself into the shape of a small elven boy. Luna had no real idea what the spell she had put upon them would eventually do to them. It was a rare ritual, usually performed by mages who wish to unite their powers. Yes, Dyami had the key to magic now, but the ways of magic weren't as simple as the skills of warriors for example. The magic could be find within in the universal webs of magic. Humans could reach to the web from time to time, but elves were part of it. Elves breathed and lived the universal webs of magic.
    Luna doubted that a small part of her blood could help Dyami to understand that. Demons, though she was only partly one, were creatures of chaos, not magic. But the thought of Dyami using her new abilities in combat made Luna grin a little, it would make her a better warrior. But if Dyami could not separate her minor magical abilities from her normal abilities, she would quickly wear herself off and get the same feeling of tiredness that mages get after doing the amount of spells they can. Then, she would be an easy target to anyone.
    They would talk about it, later, once they were in the safe distance from the mountains.

It would take them a full day to get off the mountains. But the dark mage wasn't worried about the ogres. Let them come she thought, they would make a camp before the night fall and wait for them. They could not be such a big group this time, because they had come far from Blöden.

As they walked on, Lunalath spoke to Dyami, but her voice was loud enough to be herd by everyone.
    ''My reason to leave so quickly was because I was summoned to a meating with other mages. It's a council, it takes place in the Tower of Wayreth, deep within the magical forest. I risked a lot by not answering to it immediatly. I wanted to set you on your way first. I could not explain it to you, see you wouldn't have propably believed me (doubt that you still are believing) and would have stayed in my house, which isn't really healthy when I'm not around, and it was not my place to explain about secret subjects this council would go through.''

She took a deep a deep breath and said with a numb, worried voice:
    ''I can't tell you about our discussions, but this I can tell you. Something is happening, something big. I can feel it when I'm in contact with my lord Nuitari. He is restless...
    For two hundred years that I have know Him, Nuitari has never been worried.''

Her words were left hanging in the air, her words ringing of fear and warning.